Author Topic: Soap Making: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 145223 times)

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
Re: Soap Making: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #330 on: June 23, 2009, 07:07:09 AM »
WOW thanks so much Boysmama you have been so generous to share your recipies this is a real blessing.
I have another question. 
Have you ever put in oatmeal or dry herbs for example.  When in the process would I do this. 

ANgie

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #331 on: June 23, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »
Yes, I add dried herbs and oatmeal at trace. You want a thick enough trace to suspend the particles and not allow them to sink to the bottom of the mold, but even a light trace is enough to do this.

If you want to use these ing to decorate the tops you can leave them larger, otherwise blend to a coarse powder before adding. It will add texture even as a powder and will not clog drains the way whole oatmeal or herb buds will.

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #332 on: June 23, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
I am going to give it a try.  I wishI could find someone here in PA that makes this.  I am a visual learner and I would like t learn from someone.

I would like to try soap with many things to see what I like.  Like honey and all.

THanks again.
If you have any more tips to list I would sure read them.  THanks so much.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #333 on: November 16, 2009, 03:51:30 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas of how I could make gingerbread or eggnog soap?  Can I get those scents without fragrance oils?  Thanks
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #334 on: November 16, 2009, 07:35:51 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas of how I could make gingerbread or eggnog soap?  Can I get those scents without fragrance oils?  Thanks
A friend of mine did gingerbread shaped soaps that were really cute and smelled like real cookies. The children wanted to eat them!
All EOs plus some ground spice....ginger, cinnamon, a touch of vetiver. I don't remember that there were any other scents in the mix.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #335 on: January 17, 2010, 04:25:07 AM »
This may sound like a silly question, but is it okay to use homemade soap on your face?  Is it gentle enough?  Are there certain oils you would not want to or would want to use in a soap that you would use on your face? 

thanks

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #336 on: January 18, 2010, 07:14:40 AM »
This may sound like a silly question, but is it okay to use homemade soap on your face?  Is it gentle enough?  Are there certain oils you would not want to or would want to use in a soap that you would use on your face? 

thanks

I have a lady who swears that my homemade lye soap took off the age spots on her face!!   :)  I have no idea why this would work or if even it was my soap that did it.  We all use my soap on our whole bodies with no problems.  I use many different recipes with lots of different oils and they all work for us.

hth
mauimom

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #337 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:22 AM »
Not using detergents and petroleum based skin care products may be enough of a change to let the liver function better, and also allow hormone levels to come back to normal. It's also possible that the lady you mention made other lifestyle changes, including switching to hand made soap.
See estrogen dominance and sodium laurel sulfate info.  ;)

In my opinion, the less soap you have to use the better off your skin will be. Soap is for removing excess oils or deep dirt. Otherwise the body and the face especially are designed to self cleaning under running water.
The skin of the face especially is fragile. You want to rub, twist, and as little as possible or when necessary with very gentle pressure and motion.

Beyond those thoughts, I'd say you have to know your soap and your skin. A low superfat soap,especially and all lard or coconut oil base will strip natural oils. This is really good if you just got into poison ivy, but regular use of such a soap will just stimulate your skin to make more oils and you end up with an oily face.
Superfatted soaps are usually more gentle, but can also leave more residue which can clog pores depending on the minerals in the water, the water temp, or the amount and type of rinsing used.
It's not that coconut oil is bad in soap. You just want to use it in combination with other oils and butters.
Butters and jojoba oil usually add conditioning power to balance the cleansing action of other oils in the base.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #338 on: January 19, 2010, 04:20:57 AM »
I have a question! 

I frequently see herbal infusions included in cold process soapmaking.  (Like folks using calendula-infused olive oil as one of the oils in their soap.)

Is there any evidence that the goodies in the herbs actually make it through saponification?  Do the soaps have herbal therapeutic value in the end? 

Has anyone used herbal, cold processed soaps and found them to be effective on skin conditions?  I know that cold process soaps with natural oils can be great for the skin, but I'm more curious about the effectiveness of using herbs in the soap making process.

Anyone have any good thoughts on this?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #339 on: January 19, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »

Is there any evidence that the goodies in the herbs actually make it through saponification?  Do the soaps have herbal therapeutic value in the end? 

Has anyone used herbal, cold processed soaps and found them to be effective on skin conditions? 

Not that I can find so far. Usually even the scent from an infused herb is gone by the time the soap is cooled. The exceptions are musky scents like dragon's blood.

Adding an essential oil at the end of the process or diluting a liquid soap with herbal infusion may help a little. The effect, if there at all, is very slight.

One soap commonly used for an herbal property is jewelweed. I have been able to test this one repeatedly since I get poison ivy very easily. Soap with jewelweed infusion and or leaf is no more effective than regular soap that I can tell, where as a fresh herb infusion applied directly does help a little.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #340 on: January 20, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »
boysmama, your experiences are the same as mine.

Makes you wonder why folks bother with the expensive herbals in their soaps as I've never used one with any great benefit.  I guess it must sell?  Or maybe it does work for some folks. 

Different question:  Would your milk soap recipe (listed earlier in this thread as your hubby's favorite soap) work fine with raw cow's milk instead of goat's milk? 

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #341 on: January 20, 2010, 03:06:21 PM »

Different question:  Would your milk soap recipe (listed earlier in this thread as your hubby's favorite soap) work fine with raw cow's milk instead of goat's milk? 

I have never substituted, but others I know have used either raw or pastuerized/homogenized milk. There are a few goat or cow milks that will be very high in fat. For example, a pure Jersey milk might be so high in fat that you can feel an increase in the superfatting. Otherwise, seems to work the same with either milk.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
Any soapmakers with opinions about using Palm, Red Palm or Palm Kernel Oil in their soap?

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #343 on: April 07, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »
Anyone rebatching soap in order to add herbals and fine oils?

Opinions?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
Any soapmakers with opinions about using Palm, Red Palm or Palm Kernel Oil in their soap?

I've not used it due to no easy access and the overall report of discolored soaps from RPO.

Anyone rebatching soap in order to add herbals and fine oils?
I've rebatched soaps, but don't really like the texture. In fact, I really dislike it!  :P Then the extra work....  :-\ So far the extra time involved make it too expensive for my market anyway.

Herbals in soaps don't really impress me as the best application for herbal benefits. To me it is about aesthetics or label appeal so I add herbs, botanicals, or essential oils in the initial make.

I've not seen much benefit by adding a specialty oil to a rebatched 1-2% superfatted base soap. I'm just assuming that is how you would do it? Again might do it for label appeal, but for myself I'd rather rub the oil directly on my skin as needed.

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #345 on: April 08, 2010, 02:35:20 AM »

I use the palm oil in my soaps and it "seems" to give it more lather.  But I can't really be sure that is the ingredient responsible for the great lather.  I have never compared recipes/results.  Thats not on my to-do list!   ;D  I need to make more soap and since we have moved I can't get a good price on the palm oil, so I will be soaping without it.  I'll let you know what happens.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #346 on: April 08, 2010, 02:45:22 AM »
How about sugar?  Any opinions about adding a tsp of sugar to the lye water?  Supposedly this increases bubbles?

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2010, 03:46:52 AM »
I  have had my first problem batch of soap.  I am pretty sure I had to high of a percentage of shea butter.  My batch seized in the pot, I tried re-batching immediately, but I could not get all the pieces to melt down.  It was like having little white pieces of soap in the mix, some of them were about a quarter size round, the rest of it had melted to a thick clearish/brown.  I went ahead and put it in the mold.  I haven’t cut it yet.  I noticed that one of my molds has a small area that has some white crystallized something (I am assuming this is lye).  Is there anything I can do to save this batch or is it best to toss and count it as a good lesson to remember to always double check my percentages of oils?  Thanks.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #348 on: September 13, 2010, 06:16:29 AM »
Can you re-check your recipe and find where you might have gone wrong?

I would probably try rebatching again after it's set up.

They say that almost any batch of soap can be saved by rebatching, if your problem was incorrect amounts of ingredients.  Especially if you can find where you messed up.

Does it zap?

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2010, 07:19:01 AM »
I know what my problem was.  I had to high of a percentage of shea butter (more than 5%) this is what caused my batch to seize.  The batch has set up and on one of the molds I see some white crystallized something (lye?).  I haven’t tried the zap test was too afraid of the crystallize stuff.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #350 on: September 13, 2010, 08:26:40 AM »
The crystallized stuff may, or may not be, lye.  Do you think you were able to blend it well before pouring (glopping) it into the mold? 

Were you using shea to superfat?  Is your base recipe superfatted at all?  

I use shea (up to 25%) in a lot of my recipes but have not ever had it seize. I'm just wondering if it could be something else.

What was your original recipe?  I'm happy to give it a look over to see if I can see anything funky.  What temps do you soap at?

I'd hate to see you throw out a batch of expensive oils if you can save it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:29:09 AM by Gigi »

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #351 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »
My original recipe

12 oz Cocoa Butter
32 oz Coconut Oil
32 oz Olive Oil
12 oz Shea Butter
32 oz Lard

I mixed 16.95 oz of lye with 12 oz of water.  At trace I added 21.25 oz of coconut milk.

I know I mixed everything very well. 

I cut my bars and did the zap test.  They seem fine.  There was only one bar that had that crystallization on it and it went through one of those white soap clumps. 

I appreciate your help.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #352 on: September 17, 2010, 06:34:22 AM »
Hey lovingmom,

Your recipe looks like a good one -

It's the coconut milk that mostly contributed to your seize, without a doubt!  I didn't know you used coconut milk - I must have missed that if you said it earlier.  That, combined with your shea is what the issue was.  Again, in one recipe, I use shea at 25% with coconut milk at 50% of my water with no probs.  I soap at cooler temps - I like mixing my lye and melting my oils and then doing all the set-up- lining molds, mixing fragrances, putting oils away, etc. while they cool down. 

Also, your superfat without the coconut milk was already around 5% or so.  I think with the addition of the milk it'll probably take it upwards around 10 - which may contribute to a softer/greasier bar over time. (Which some folks love, so maybe that's great with you!)  But, that means there's no way it is lye heavy, as long as you measured properly (of course). So long as you can put your tongue right on the weird spots and they don't burn, I'd think it is just that your rebatching wasn't heated slowly (like super low heat over the course of many hours) and thoroughly enough.

I think your soap will be perfectly fine.

Hope I helped a bit.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #353 on: October 07, 2010, 04:48:07 AM »
Thanks, that was very helpful.