Author Topic: Sprouting Beans  (Read 23582 times)

Offline MrsJ

• Adept
Re: Sprouting Beans
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 09:54:07 AM »
Adding a tbsp of whey to the sprouting water speeds the process. Also, when I cook mine, I cook for about an hour, pour off the filtered water, add more water, cook another hour or so and repeat. While I skim off the foam, I want to be SURE and get all of the phytates are gone (phytates are what make the water foam and make the soaking water cloudy). These prevent absorption of nutrients and are the cause of disagreeable digestive issues.

Okay, can someone help me with this?  I've just finished cooking sprouted beans for the first time and am trying to determine whether the cloudy cooking water is good or bad.  In one recipe I read for refried beans, a reviewer said she reuses the cooking liquid, and I know that cloudy stuff is what the canned beans are sitting in.  But the above post seems to be saying you want to get rid of the phytates which are what is making the water cloudy.  So should I dump off the cooking liquid and add new stuff when I make my refried beans?

And while I'm at it, could anyone give or direct me to a good refried beans recipe, in case the one I found isn't the best?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »
Here's a recipe for refried beans that Leat posted. There may be others in that thread.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1114.msg242874.html#msg242874

My bean water is never clear, but I only bring to a boil with baking soda, drain and rinse once. Refill and cook. I then store the beans in the cooking liquid, though most recipes I make I rinse them again before using in another recipe.

Offline MrsJ

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
Here's a recipe for refried beans that Leat posted. There may be others in that thread.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1114.msg242874.html#msg242874

My bean water is never clear, but I only bring to a boil with baking soda, drain and rinse once. Refill and cook. I then store the beans in the cooking liquid, though most recipes I make I rinse them again before using in another recipe.

Thanks boysmama!  I will try that recipe out, and I appreciate your insight into cooking the beans.  If anyone else has anything else to offer, I'm happy to hear more!