Author Topic: First birthday cakes...Healthy Recipes  (Read 15704 times)

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
First birthday cakes...Healthy Recipes
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:36:53 PM »
What do you/did you use for your Baby's First Birthday Cake? I really want something healthy- I tried the what to expect carrot cake for my son but it did not come out quite like a typical cake.
I am thinking maybe a healthy banana cake or carrot. What about the frosting? Anyone have any ideas? Recipes? websites?

Thanks!

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
Re: First birthday cakes...Healthy Recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:51:19 AM »
I'm also looking for a healthy cake for my son's first birthday. It's The first time he'll have any sort of "bad" sugar, but I'd still like for it to be as healthy as possible!

Offline blackbird

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 04:04:48 AM »
My daughter's 1st birthday is this weekend and I am doing brownies instead of cake this time.  Not neccessarily healhier, but no forks required and ice cream won't necessarily be served alongside.  Too often most of the grownups at mt childrens' birthday parties either don't want a piece of cake or only a small serving.  So I am going to see if they are more willing to eat brownies.   So, when considering what kind of "cake" to have, think outside the box.  If you can stick a candle it, it could work.  There are all kinds of healthier cookie and quickbread recipes out there that can be topped with one of those plastic happy birthday thingys that they sell in the cake decorataing section of the store so you wouldn't even need frosting.  There would be less mess, fewer leftovers (because most guests at a 1st birthday are adults), and possibly less epensive.  Hope this helps get your creative juices flowing!
Oldest son to recently unemployed grandma, "You don't need another job, Grandma.  You already have a job being old." (This was a couple days before her 49th b-day).  Boys.

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 04:11:20 AM »
One time for a kids birthday that was going to have a lot of adults, I made an ice cream cake. It didn't have any "real" cake in it at all and was a big hit. The kids had a birthday cake.

I have a friend that uses carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. There is a banana cake on the whole wheat cake thread that is pretty good. I've used it for a birthday cake before.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 04:13:37 AM by brightspot »

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:49:21 AM »
I give my kids a banana and stick a candle in it...They LOVE it!

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 05:32:45 AM »
Bunny is going to turning 1 yo in about a 5 weeks. I am planning on cupcakes, since they would be the perfect size for her. I have heard that you can add a cake (package) of cream cheese to the same amount of regular frosting and it still tastes good. That type of frosting would be good on just about any cake. Keep in mind you can elevate the nutrition of any cake by using healthy sweetener (demerrera sugar here), whole grains (wheat or oat here), good fats (butter or coconut oil), non-aluminum baking powder. Of course you could leave the frosting off entirely, I was considering "frosting" hers with some peanut butter. HTH. Amy
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:05:39 AM »
OH guys! All our babies are turning 1! It seems like such a short (and long) time ago we were all pregnant and dying to meet them! We had sweetpea's party last weekend and did mini cupcakes. Not healthy but super cute. I was gonna suggest ice cream cake especially if you made your own ice cream but bright already said that  ;D

Maybe you could do some kind of healthyish muffin with cream cheese frosting.
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
I recently made a delicious sugar free (I used maple syrup as the sweetner) maple pecan cake and it turned out so well that I did it for my son's 3rd birthday. I did do homeade buttercream frosting and used sugar in that - but with this recipe is a wonderful sugar free cream cheese frosting that uses maple syrup as a sweetner. There was only 1 cup of flour in the entire cake, and no sugar, so it is one of the healthiest cakes you can make! But it is AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!!! I have started using pecan flour for all of my baking and it makes everything so incredibly delicious! Pecans are everywhere her ein Texas, and might be more expensive where some of you guys live, but it will totally be worth it!

MAPLE PECAN CAKE
Notes: If the nut flour is not available, use 1 cup pecans and whirl in a food processor until finely ground.
Yield
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Ingredients
1  cup  all-purpose flour
1  cup  pecan flour (see notes)
2  teaspoons  baking powder
1/4  teaspoon  salt
3  large egg yolks, beaten to blend
2/3  cup  maple syrup
1/4c maple syrup -(add to egg whites)
1/3  cup  butter
1  tablespoon  vanilla
6  large egg whites

maple cream cheese frosting
1/2  cup  chopped toasted pecans
Preparation
1. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan with a removable rim. In a bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, pecan flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a small bowl, mix egg yolks, maple syrup, butter, and vanillay. Pour into flour mixture; stir to combine.
3. In a large bowl, with a mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. beat in maple syrup, and continue to beat until glossy, about 2 minutes. Stir a quarter of the egg-white mix ture into yolk mixture. Scrape into remaining egg-white mixture and fold in gently.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in a 350° oven until cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer in pan to a rack and let cool about 1 hour.
5. Remove pan rim. Cut cake in half horizontally and place bottom layer on a cake plate. Spread half the maple-cream cheese frosting on bottom layer; top with remaining layer. Spread remaining frosting over top (leave sides bare). Sprinkle with chopped pecans.

Ingredients
3/4  cup  maple syrup
4  ounces  cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2  cup  (1/4 lb.) butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation
In a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over medium-high heat, bring maple syrup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until reduced by about a third, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour into a glass measure nested in a bowl of ice water and stir constantly until syrup is very thick and barely warm to touch, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from ice water. In a bowl, with a mixer on low speed, beat cream cheese and butter until well blended. Scrape in reduced syrup; beat until smooth.

I have also made banana nut cake using this recipe, by adding 3 mashed bananas, and chocolate banana cake by adding cocoa powder to the flour mixture, and a cup of dark chocolate  or carob sweetened chocolate chips. You can add some cocoa powder to the frosting as well.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 07:34:09 AM »
Rikki,

Do you really need a pan with a removable rim, for this cake? All I have are regular cake pans. Would it fall apart if I cooked and tried to remove it from a regular pan?

Oh, and to anyone who can answer..... if I wanted to make it really, really chocolaty by adding melted bakers chocolate, how much should I use and what kind of adjustments should I make in the rest of the recipe? I guess I could use cocoa, but I want it to have a really rich chocolate flavor and I've never had much luck with getting that taste using cocoa. But any tips to accomplish this would be appreciated.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:46:13 AM »
Rikki,

Do you really need a pan with a removable rim, for this cake? All I have are regular cake pans. Would it fall apart if I cooked and tried to remove it from a regular pan?

Oh, and to anyone who can answer..... if I wanted to make it really, really chocolaty by adding melted bakers chocolate, how much should I use and what kind of adjustments should I make in the rest of the recipe? I guess I could use cocoa, but I want it to have a really rich chocolate flavor and I've never had much luck with getting that taste using cocoa. But any tips to accomplish this would be appreciated.

WR
I used it for the train cake, and it came out no problem! I would just grease the pan good and let it cool good before removing it.
 If I wanted to make it really chocolatey with the bakers chocolate, I would just melt it down and you can do just 3 egg whites instead of the 6. The 6 egg whites just help make it fluffier, but when I add bananas or anyhting else liquid, I don't need all 6. And honestly, I don't like using 3 yolks and 6 whites because it wastes 3 yolks, so I normally just do 3 eggs total. You can always use cocoa powder and then use big chocolate chunks in the cake - that makes it really yummy and chocolatey. We LOVE doing that! Or you can do both, melt down your bakers chocolate and add chocolate chunks, chips to the batter.
  Good luck!!

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »

WR

A good way to make taste richer and more chocolatey is to use coffee as a liquid. Or you can just put a couple teaspoons of instant coffee. It's amazing how much that helps.  :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:35:30 PM »
I concur with the chocolate chips and the coffee water...and adding some extra cocoa just to be on the safe side  ;D  The heat is what dissipates the chocolate flavor (flavor=smell...all that great chocolatey smell is really the flavor cooking out).  A lower heat recipe is much more chocolatey than the regular 350 for 30 minutes recipes.

I cut wax paper for the bottom of my pans, and then grease the wax paper and pan...the cakes drop right out, and the wax paper peels off easily.  It doesn't leave a waxy flavor either.  Parchment works the same way.

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 06:22:33 PM »
America's test kitchen had an article on this...how to get REALLY chocolatey chocolate cakes. Let me see if i can dig it up for you.

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »
What would you do if your baby has only had egg yolks and banana (in terms of making a cake). I don't want to add a bunch of new ingredients at one time in case of food allergies. I still would like to have some sort of cake etc. for his 1st birthday though, ideas?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
What would you do if your baby has only had egg yolks and banana (in terms of making a cake). I don't want to add a bunch of new ingredients at one time in case of food allergies. I still would like to have some sort of cake etc. for his 1st birthday though, ideas?

Look into SCD & GAPS diet recipes. They use just egg yolk & squash in early stage recipes. Likely anything the squash would work in, the banana will.

They also use a lot of banana. I did a Yahoo search for 'SCD recipes for cake' & found a couple of recipes using banana. It will give you some ideas to start experimenting. Just make the following changes:

Use more egg yolks to equal the same volume of eggs that you would have if the whites were included.

Either replace the honey with more banana, or possibly leave it out maybe adding a little water to replace the moisture in honey so the batter isn't too thick.

Leave out the raisins.

Almond flour can be replaced with pumpkin seed meal which is less allergenic than nuts. 

The walnuts called for in the banana muffins can also be replaced with pumpkin seeds & it should grind fine in the processor just like the walnuts. 

BANANA BREAD LOAF     
Ingredients
3 cups almond flour
1/2 cup honey
3 eggs
2 mashed bananas
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins (or chopped walnuts)
Instructions
1. Mix ingredients.

2. Bake for an hour at 350 degrees F (180 C). I line the pan with buttered wax paper.

BANANA MUFFINS   
Ingredients
6 eggs
1/3 cup honey
1-1/2 cups walnuts
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla (I like more)
1 to 1-1/2 bananas
Instructions
1. Put egg, honey, and walnuts in processor and blend 4 to 5 minutes.

2. Add remaining ingredients except salt and process until smooth.

3. Add salt and process a few seconds.

4. Scoop batter into paper-lined muffin tins.

5. Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline rockclimber

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »
I know this isn't a real cake, but for our first son's first birthday cake we just took a rice cake (not a cake made from rice, but one of those hard disks of puffed rice) and put cream cheese and honey frosting on it.  He was happy with it, and it held a candle really well.  And he was sufficiently messy with it that we got some great pics.

Kassia

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »
This isn't a cake, but it sure is a sweet treat!  Blend 1 banana, 1 mango, 1 T coconut oil, and 1 T flaxseed oil.  It makes the most delicious creamy treat imaginable and should hold a birthday candle upright no problem.
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline curlzz6504

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 12:11:25 AM »
This isn't a cake, but it sure is a sweet treat!  Blend 1 banana, 1 mango, 1 T coconut oil, and 1 T flaxseed oil.  It makes the most delicious creamy treat imaginable and should hold a birthday candle upright no problem.

Ooo....that sounds great!!!  Our little Katelyn is still nursing exclusively, but I want to do something for her first birthday....do you think this would be introducing too much as a first food?

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 06:52:48 PM »
IMHO, I wouldn't count the oils when adding up how many new foods you're introducing.  Here's why:  Our holistic pediatrician started my DS on coconut oil as a supplement at 7 1/2 months.  She also told me that, whenever I did start to introduce foods, to smother them with (or cook them in) healthy oils, regularly rotating the oils.  So if you don't count the oils, you're only introducing 2 foods, neither of which are high allergy type foods (that I'm aware of).

DS suddenly showed an interest in eating food a couple days before his 9 month checkup, and I asked our pediatrician how important it was to introduce only one food at a time because it just seemed easier to me to give him a little bit of whatever was on my plate.  And she told me that, at that age, I could give him as many different foods as I wanted at once, so long as they were gluten-free and not high allergy-type foods.  But then again, our family doesn't have a history of allergies, so I really wasn't that concerned.  So it probably boils down to how comfortable you are as a mother - I'd follow your own mommy instinct on this. 

Also, I've never made it without the flaxseed oil, but you might try eliminating that and using 2 T coconut oil instead.  That way you'd be cutting out one new ingredient.
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
Watermelon!!!  DS turned 1 on Thursday, and on Wednesday night we met a friend for a celebratory dinner. Knowing I wouldn't feed my baby sugar, she was thoughtful enough to bring for dessert...a birthday watermelon! This turned out to be the brightest first birthday dessert idea I have ever heard of!  She cut a mini seedless watermelon in half and stuck a candle in the middle.  DS got to eat/make a mess of his entire half.

For his birthday breakfast, I made my mango banana cream recipe I posted above.  I had run out of flax seed oil, so just used twice the normal amount of coconut oil.  And it still turned out great!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!