Author Topic: Need Help For 3 Year Old!  (Read 2287 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Need Help For 3 Year Old!
« on: September 18, 2006, 10:01:43 AM »
I am in contact with a very concerned mommy and daddy of 4 children. Their 3 year old little boy is a bright, beautiful and engaging child. He has never been immunized. However, since he was weaned and began drinking milk he has had some very frightening symptoms. These include seizures, loose stools, zoning out, sleep disturbances, emotional upset, and an unusual tolerance of things that should be painful (heat, falls and scrapes).

It was easy enough to determine that milk was the culprit, but doctors haven’t narrowed down whether it is the milk protein (casein) or the milk sugars (lactose). The allergist suggested that the family do a test reintroduction of the milk and record the results. An accidental exposure to sour cream resulted in a pronounced return of the symptoms.

I’m starting to think that milk may be one of those “last straw” culprits. It may be possible that there are other things making him so hyper-sensitive that he reacts strongly when exposed to the milk.

My thinking is running along the lines of wondering if there is an overgrowth of yeast which would explain his previous craving of milk (the lactose). However, I am wondering if the yeast is a byproduct of a parasite infestation. This would help explain some of the behavioral/neurological responses as the chemical imbalance would affect his brain function. If parasites/yeast is the problem, I’m thinking they will need to find ways of attacking the yeast and repopulating his gut while helping his body deal efficiently with the die off. I can get them a Kombucha mushroom to help with this.

Another concern is the fact that this family is of modest means and cannot afford many specialized foods and/or supplements. With the sensitivities the little guy has, he could easily react to the packaging. As much as possible, I’m going to recommend organic fruits and vegetables.

Along with the Kombucha, I plan to recommend that they eliminate processed sugars, processed (non-sprouted) baked goods, and processed foods (cereals, chips, etc.) along with foods that might have mold (dried fruits, nuts, cheeses). I also suspect that he is sensitive to chemical preservatives and coloring agents in foods. This would mean that they would need to take him off of canned, cured, and/or smoked meats (including sandwich meats).

Has anyone thoughts about whether he should be using plasticware or metal utensils? What about plates?

I’m looking for additional brainstorming and $ saving hints on how they can work through this time. My challenge is to offer them low-cost alternatives and ways they can incorporate these things in an already stretched schedule and budget.

Brainstorming and guesses (on any of the above) are welcome. Thanks!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
Re: Need Help For 3 Year Old!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:53:37 PM »
Geeeesh SC, I am a little intimidated posting to help you... for it seems you have already thought of everything.   ;)
What he is experiencing definitely sounds neurological.  It is great that the Mom nursed for so long!
I didn't see if you wrote this, but is he drinking raw milk?
Could it be the homogenization of the fats that are "piercing his gut"?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 04:29:39 PM by KristenA »

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 05:45:03 PM »
I believe that this family used raw milk occasionally, but with some regular milk products. I agree that he may have leaky gut, but I think that this may be due to a domino effect that might have begun with parasites, led to yeast overgrowth and then to a leaky gut and all of the other stuff associated with it. The night disturbances and seizures are what make me lean in this direction.

I'm wondering if one of Dr. Hulda Clark's 'zappers' might be useful to kill off this stuff? That's a thought.

For the time being, until things settle down and they get a handle on his condition, I think I might give her a recipe for rice milk. I'd prefer almond milk, but I don't know if his system could handle nuts right now.

What do you think?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 06:40:05 PM »
For the time being, until things settle down and they get a handle on his condition, I think I might give her a recipe for rice milk. I'd prefer almond milk, but I don't know if his system could handle nuts right now.
Considering his multitude of symptoms, a high allergen food might not be the best choice.  I would go with the rice or avoid milk altogether.  I'm no expert, but don't want to throw more problems into the mix if you can keep from it. 

Hang in there.  Sometimes trying to help someone in such a huge ordeal can be very taxing.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and her.

Oh, and what about the figs for the parasites.  Wouldnt' they be cheaper than most other treatments?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 02:09:32 AM »
Oh, and what about the figs for the parasites.  Wouldnt' they be cheaper than most other treatments?

I haven't used figs in this application before. I have built one of the zappers (yes, it took some work, but I did it). I know that with children, they usually respond more quickly to gentle treatments. Usually, I would try garlic (and I might still). What have any of you tried that worked well with children for a parasite cleanse? Has anyone tried Dr. Clark's zapper? Figs? Garlic? Somethings else? What were your results?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 02:56:53 AM »
We do dried figs but I can't say if I have noticed anything.  My natropath said it actually eats the parasite so I am thinking you wouldn't even see any if you were getting rid of them.  I asked her and she said they have one a day in their smoothie.  we just eat a couple a day.  My kids really do like them.  Course I bought them from her so I know they were not dried w/ chemicals or anything or she wouldn't have bought them.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 04:09:49 AM »
I have read on another thread about using pumpkin seeds for a parasite cleanse.... here it is:

5  Natural Health / Cleansing & the GI Tract / Re: The Master Cleanse
« on: September 14, 2006, 03:47:27 PM »

Quote from: Pennie on September 14, 2006, 03:36:37 PM
I may have asked this before but what kind of parasite cleanse would you recommend for someone nursing?  I want to to dthe live flush but am afraid to w/o a para cleanse after reading someone elses experience of cramping.  Is garlic enough and how much and how long? My natropath did say figs are a vermifuge and I do have some but again how much and how long?

Garlic is good, as are pumpkin seeds... I think there is a thread about pumpkin seeds for parasites...

As a kid, my mom would routinely do a parasite cleanse for the family about once every 3 years. It involved eating a cup of raw pumpkin seeds in a morning while fasting from other foods, and drinking a lot of juice to flush them out. The pumpkin seeds supposedly paralize the parasites. Two or three days later the same process was repeated, and then again two weeks later for any eggs that may have hatched.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 05:46:33 AM »
The pumpkin seeds combined with a fast would work well for an older child/adult, but I'm not sure a 3 year old would be able to (or should be required to) fast as his body is rapidly developing and growing. Additionally, drinking a lot of juices while I suspect that there is a yeast problem might cause further problems (?) with the natural sugars.

Has anyone had experience in using the pumpkin seeds in an alternative way for younger children? With fall here, it shouldn't be difficult to find the seeds in season.