Health Products > Vitamins & Supplements

Melatonin

<< < (2/4) > >>

mommyjen:
Just got mine from Azure tonight and will be giving it a try. I actually took them (chewable) just minutes ago and already feel the effects.  I'm feeling really heavy, like my body is conking out on me.  Never had that will Valerian root before or anything else that I remember.  I'm taking 3 mg.  Oh and Shonda Parker say's it will only work if your melatonin levels are low.  Can anyone vouch for this?  Thanks!  She also says that it works best for the elderly as low melatonin levels are common in that age group.  Gotta go, I'm fading fast!  Next time, I'll take it closer to when I REALLY want to go to bed.  ;D  I'm supposed to take more if I get up and can't go back to sleep.  Will update! 

p.s. Hubs just mentioned that when he was picking up our stuff from the co-op drop a man saw the melatonin bottle and it reminded him that he forgot to order some.  He said it works great for him.  Okay, wow, I'm having trouble typing and talking so I better go to bed now!

skelliott2:
My mom and my aunt both say it helps them a lot.  Sleeplessness runs in our family after reaching a certain age, so it's really nice to know a natural cure for that one!

petrimama:
  I think there is a thread where this was mentioned somewhere on here already, but I do have a small warning to share regarding melatonin supplements.  I believe that it is safe to say that anyone taking this supplement believes that their body is not naturally producing enough melatonin on its own - at least not at the desired time.  Now artificial supplementation is a great temporary fix to get caught up on sleep and back on track.  However, when doing this sort of thing long-term, there is very commonly a reverse reaction by the body. 
  To keep things simple, let's say that your body is currently only producing 50% of the necessary melatonin.  So, so decide to supplement.  Your body detects that it's levels have risen, so it begins to cut down on what it is producing - dropping down to 25%.  It is not usually noticeable while on the supplement because the additional amount more than makes up for the additional lack.  However, now you are dependent on the melatonin to fall asleep because if you stop taking it at this point, you would be worse off than before.  This is true for any hormone supplementation.  Personally, I would not use it for more than one month at a time, but I'm not sure if there is an actual official guideline out there.
  During this month, I would try to identify the true cause of my sleeplessness.  For instance, stress, physical or electronic (TV, computer, etc.) stimulation within an hour before bed, lack of routine, or disrupted sleep cycles are very common causes of insomnia.  (Looking into sleep cycles is a great place to start, since often people go to bed an hour after they feel tired and have to wait until their body cycles back to fall asleep.  Go to bed when you are tired, despite undone chores and you just may nod right off.)  Sometimes all it takes to get back on track is catching up on sleep so that we are better able to manage stress; often, a stressful week at work can indicate the need for melatonin pills.  I just don't think that they are a long-term solution.
  On a side note, most hormone supplements are either synthetic or animal derived.  Both options kind of weird me out, personally.
  Anyway, that's just my take on the whole thing.  I hope it helps someone.  ~L

AndysJess:
I'm glad I came across this thread.  I was just looking at melatonin as a possible way to help me sleep during my 3rd trimester.  Once I hit about 30 weeks, I completely stop sleeping.  I might sleep maybe an hour/night.

What you're saying, Petrimama, makes a lot of sense though.  If I was only taking it for a set amount of time, do you think it would be ok?  Also, I guess the main question is "is it safe during pregnancy, particularly the 3rd trimester?"  Once I have the baby, my body resets itself and I go right back to sleeping normally (well, except for waking with the baby of course). 

I'm 18 weeks pregnant with #5, so I have a ways to go.  I'm already feeling a little panicky though, thinking about the weeks of sleeplessness ahead.

mommyjen:

--- Quote from: AndysJess on December 17, 2009, 08:05:50 AM ---I'm glad I came across this thread.  I was just looking at melatonin as a possible way to help me sleep during my 3rd trimester.  Once I hit about 30 weeks, I completely stop sleeping.  I might sleep maybe an hour/night.

What you're saying, Petrimama, makes a lot of sense though.  If I was only taking it for a set amount of time, do you think it would be ok?  Also, I guess the main question is "is it safe during pregnancy, particularly the 3rd trimester?"  Once I have the baby, my body resets itself and I go right back to sleeping normally (well, except for waking with the baby of course).  

I'm 18 weeks pregnant with #5, so I have a ways to go.  I'm already feeling a little panicky though, thinking about the weeks of sleeplessness ahead.

--- End quote ---

Oh AndysJess, I can totally relate.  :(  Only for me it's in my first trimester and postpartum.  I think it's a hormonal thing.  From my online reading melatonin doesn't seem safe during pregnancy, but in Shonda's books she usually states that it's not for pregnancy if that's the case and she doesn't in Mommy Diagnostics.  Hmmm.  Here's a online source I like because it cited a 5 year human study and found it to be safe up to 75 mg!  A "very low" dose is considered between .3 to 5 mg so that's a lot! 30 mg and up can act as a contraceptive.

http://www.sleepydust.net/melatonin-too-much.html

My results from last night was that I fell asleep quickly and stayed asleep all night!  This is a total miracle for me! I wasn't so sure cause when my head hit the pillow my body seemed tired but my brain was still going but before I knew it, it was morning. Before I woke up to hubby's alarm clock at 5am I was having a vivid dream, but not disturbing at all.  I did wake up with a headache which may or may not be related.  I still have it at 5:40 pm and headaches are not common for me, but I honestly think it's cause I'm fighting the the cold my kids have had for the past few days.  I rarely get but occasionally feel like I'm fighting something for a day or two. I'll see if the headache continues. If they do it could be that I need a lower dose or that my body is making plenty and shouldn't be taking it.  When hubby's alarm went off I usually fall right back asleep but today I was so alert.  I felt refreshed but tried to go back to sleep out of habit anyways and there was NO way that was happening.  I got some house cleaning done and made hubby breakfast before his milking and we had some tea time together over breakfast just us. Not forced at all, I was being carried by energy from sleep! Wonderful!  

I'm gonna start with .5 mg tonight and go up each night if necessary.  I'd like to stay in the low dose range.  I'm still researching but feel fine about the low dose I'm taking for a couple months anyways.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version