Author Topic: Digestive Enzymes: What, When, Why & How  (Read 54695 times)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
Re: Digestive Enzymes: What, When, Why & How
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 07:07:48 AM »
BUMP for Kristen
OKay. I'm confused.
 :-\this one a while back about Beeyoutiful's Enzyme trying to get my fat/whatever digested better with this pregnancy.

Have we switched to this enzyme thread. What happened to the new one?

Are you thinking of the lipase thread? Some of us, or umm, maybe its just me, are posting some of the same ideas on both threads. They are very related. Sorry about the confusion.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
BUMP for Kristen
OKay. I'm confused.
 :-\this one a while back about Beeyoutiful's Enzyme trying to get my fat/whatever digested better with this pregnancy.

Have we switched to this enzyme thread. What happened to the new one?

Are you thinking of the lipase thread? Some of us, or umm, maybe its just me, are posting some of the same ideas on both threads. They are very related. Sorry about the confusion.

LOL!
I get it now... there are a few threads on Enzymes.
I think if someone just read this one they would be confused. I wonder if there is a way to get them in their own folder or something.

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 10:20:09 AM »
So I have a (dumb?) question about this enzyme thing (and it sort of touches on probiotics too).  Isn't a huge part of the reason we all make and drink kombucha and kefir for the natural benefits (i.e. enzymes, probiotics, immune support, etc.)? 

Isn't it generally better to get those necessary nutrients and "extras" via diet rather than taking more supplements?  Are we just spending more money buying supplements after spending more money making all this nice natural stuff?

I am asking in earnest, not sarcastically.  I find myself hoping that if I change our diet and add things like raw milk and homemade yogurt and kefir and brew my own kombucha that the end result will be better health WITHOUT taking a boatload of vitamins and supplements.

Thanx for your opinions.   ;)
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 12:05:57 PM »
My thoughts are that the enzymes we get from diet are wonderful and greatly benefit us in many ways. However, for someone who has an enzyme deficiency (health condition) they need extra help, hence the supplement. And I'm hoping its something that they can eventually get away from, but haven't got enough information on that yet to know how that all works. Anyone?

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 02:53:51 PM »
O.K. I hope that in all my reading I didn't just miss this somewhere........
I am going to give Beeyoutifuls Enzyme Digestive to my dds (4.5yo & 3yo). My question is how much to give them and how to get it down them? Anybody had any success giving it to kids? I licked it  :P to see how bad it tastes and don't think that they will like it as a chewable. I may go ahead and try it but wondered if anyone has any good ideas for me.  3yo dd has chronic  diarrhea and I am hoping that ttu and enzymes will help. We are going to start the yeast diet in about a week. THANK YOU!!!

Beppyjo

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 03:50:55 PM »
There is a NOW Papaya Chewable Enzyme with Mint that my kids like. It is not too expensive and you should be able to find it at most healthfood stores.

To the earlier question; yes, it is best if you can get these enzymes, vitamins, minerals from your foods, and should be able to, if you grow your own veggies and raise your own meat. If you already have a health problem, you may need supplementation for a while, but in the long run, a good home-grown diet should be sufficient.

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007, 08:58:24 AM »
I watched an infomercial on digestive enzymes last night.  The guy said mostly the same stuff that's been talked about in the threads, but he also mentioned that enzymes can be very helpful in the healing of a leaky gut.  I also watched him do a demo on how the enzymes work.  I was very intrigued.

He took a bowl of oatmeal and split it with a knife.  Then he poured his enzyme powder on one half of the bowl of oatmeal and within a few minutes you could actually see the oatmeal begin to dissolve while the other side remained thick and chunky.  I'm thinking about trying this demo myself and see what happens.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007, 03:27:46 PM »
I've stirred a capsule of the NOW Plant Enzymes into my son't oatmeal and watched it liquify before.  :o Happened almost instantly. (I soak my oatmeal overnight).  And you might have read Bekah's baby bottle cheese-making experience.  ;D :D
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline flowergirl

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 05:45:34 PM »
I have some experience with enzymes. HIO isn't too far off with the Alzheimer's and enzyme connection.

My daughter is lactose intolerant.  My son also has an enzyme deficiency and needs a broad spectrum enzyme for proteins like gluten, casein and soy, also, fats, carbohydrates and dairy. 

The interesting connection is this....first there is a connection between Alzheimer's and Autism.  There is an Alzheimer's gene, and many, many people with Autism also have it. (For example, my uncle has the gene, so does his son with severe autism, my mom has the gene, and my son also has autism. I haven't been tested for the gene.) It is recommended to people with that gene to detox their bodies regularly. It has something to do with them not being able to excrete metals.

Many, many people with autism also have major gut issues, including things like leaky gut and enzyme deficiencies.

So, it is not a huge leap to say that there is a connection between enzyme deficiencies/gut problems & Alzheimer's.  Maybe more metals are absorbed into your blood stream (therefore into your brain) through a damaged gut wall.

Or maybe I'm nuts too!

Offline wearefive

• Learning
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2008, 04:15:11 AM »
Can Digestive Enzymes help with a child who is lactose intolerant?  My daughter has had bad skin problems for about 7 months now.  A natural doctor told me to put her on a milk-free diet to see if it clears up.  I have my daughter on a milk-free diet, and it all cleared up. On Thanksgiving she ate a roll (which had milk in it) and she didn't seems to have a problem.   But on Sunday she got some bread and a snack (from a friend) that most likely had milk in it, and by Monday night she started to get redness on her legs and it was itching.  Could giving her a digest enzyme daily help with this so when she gets food from someone else she won't have a reaction.  Just wondering

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2008, 05:53:47 AM »
I'll post this here too!!
My hubby was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. During some research we thought it would be good for him to take some super enzymes (i was getting some anyways) because there tends to be some problems with digestion. I gave him one before Thanksgiving (his first) and it seemed to work fine. Sat I gave him 2 AFTER he ate and complained about feeling real full. He soon developed some nasty heartburn. We were out and about and he was desperate so he stopped and bought some Pepto and that took care of that. I'm just wondering if maybe it had to do with the hernia? or that he took it on an already full stomach? not sure. any thoughts?

Offline wearefive

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 05:05:31 AM »
Can Digestive Enzymes help with a child who is lactose intolerant?  My daughter has had bad skin problems for about 7 months now.  A natural doctor told me to put her on a milk-free diet to see if it clears up.  I have my daughter on a milk-free diet, and it all cleared up. On Thanksgiving she ate a roll (which had milk in it) and she didn't seems to have a problem.   But on Sunday she got some bread and a snack (from a friend) that most likely had milk in it, and by Monday night she started to get redness on her legs and it was itching.  Could giving her a digest enzyme daily help with this so when she gets food from someone else she won't have a reaction.  Just wondering
[/color]

BUMP

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 11:20:11 AM »
I have some experience with enzymes. HIO isn't too far off with the Alzheimer's and enzyme connection.

My daughter is lactose intolerant.  My son also has an enzyme deficiency and needs a broad spectrum enzyme for proteins like gluten, casein and soy, also, fats, carbohydrates and dairy. 

The interesting connection is this....first there is a connection between Alzheimer's and Autism.  There is an Alzheimer's gene, and many, many people with Autism also have it. (For example, my uncle has the gene, so does his son with severe autism, my mom has the gene, and my son also has autism. I haven't been tested for the gene.) It is recommended to people with that gene to detox their bodies regularly. It has something to do with them not being able to excrete metals.

Many, many people with autism also have major gut issues, including things like leaky gut and enzyme deficiencies.

So, it is not a huge leap to say that there is a connection between enzyme deficiencies/gut problems & Alzheimer's.  Maybe more metals are absorbed into your blood stream (therefore into your brain) through a damaged gut wall.

Or maybe I'm nuts too!

OK, I am going to add to this "theory" that food allergies and Blood sugars also are connected to this labyrinth of Digestive enzyme abilities.

Processing takes out the enzymes needed to "process" the food properly which causes all these subsequent illnesses

Isn't it fun to be NUTS!
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2009, 03:27:19 PM »
i would like some opinions on enzymes.  i am comparing these that KristenA suggested above, with Zypan, which i have currently been using.  it is comparitively a lot more expensive, but works great for me, especially i like to use a couple when i eat one of my many food allergens.  so, are they anything alike?  i am having trouble being able to tell if the cheaper one would be effective. 

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/keyword/three+lac/itemKey/54251

(i couldn't get the ingredients to copy)

and

http://www.naturamart.com/standard-process-zypan-330-tablets.html

any idea if it will do the same job???  i really don't need another bottle of pills that don't work for me.   ::) 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

cecac

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »
Hello 4myhoonie,

From some reading I've done through Dr. Bruce West (www.healthalert.com) I am under the impression that Zypan is used not as much for enzymes as for help in stomach acids for digestion.  Although, I know there are some enzymes in the Zypan.

So my question would be, do you suspect a lack of stomach acid as one of your issues?  If you do, then I am thinking the NOW product would not work for you.  I may be wrong, but there is one possible thing to consider in this.

I also have a daughter who has success with Zypan in reducing gas.  It is expensive, though, so I understand your dilemma there.  Now I am curious if I could get an enzyme for her and a couple of other daughters and have the same help as I get for the one daughter in Zypan.

Just some thoughts,

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »
i would like some opinions on enzymes.  i am comparing these that KristenA suggested above, with Zypan, which i have currently been using.  it is comparitively a lot more expensive, but works great for me, especially i like to use a couple when i eat one of my many food allergens.  so, are they anything alike?  i am having trouble being able to tell if the cheaper one would be effective. 

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/keyword/three+lac/itemKey/54251

(i couldn't get the ingredients to copy)

and

http://www.naturamart.com/standard-process-zypan-330-tablets.html

any idea if it will do the same job???  i really don't need another bottle of pills that don't work for me.   ::) 

The NOW enzymes have excellent ingredients (the betaine and ox bile being key).  I can't see the ingredients to the zypan so I can't tell you how it compares.   I can tell you that the NOW look very similar to what we're taking ingredient wise.  My only caution is pineapple is a very high allergen so make sure you're not allergic to it if you take the NOW ones.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2009, 03:56:06 PM »
Hello 4myhoonie,

From some reading I've done through Dr. Bruce West (www.healthalert.com) I am under the impression that Zypan is used not as much for enzymes as for help in stomach acids for digestion.  Although, I know there are some enzymes in the Zypan.

So my question would be, do you suspect a lack of stomach acid as one of your issues?  If you do, then I am thinking the NOW product would not work for you.  I may be wrong, but there is one possible thing to consider in this.

Betaine is hydrochloric acid so it does increase digestion.

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

cecac

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »
Hello 4myhoonie,

Betaine is hydrochloric acid so it does increase digestion.

hth

patti

Hmm, well, the Zypan has:  Betaine hydrochloride, pancreas Cytosol extract, pancreatic fatty acid, pepsin, ammonium chloride, bovine spleen, ovine spleen.

.So, it looks like the NOW is more enzymes, perhaps?  The Zypan is more of the acids with less of the enzymes.  I am unsure why the spleen is in the Zypan.

hth,

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »
ok, i think that clears it up for me.  i have always known that it had the hydrochloric acid in it, and have wondered if it was supposed to help your body produce more stomach acid?  my son took it for a period of time cuz he would get "acid" burps that tasted like food.  then after a while he quit and doesn't ever get them any more.  i wonder if it did something like that.  i think i will just have to suck it up and pay for it.  at least there is 330 pills in one bottle!  thanks a bunch gals!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
After you take digestive enzymes of any sort for a good period of time your body will eventually begin to make enough of their own.  The goal usually is to be able to stop taking enzymes after one year.

hth

patti

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 08:49:13 PM »
ok, i think that clears it up for me.  i have always known that it had the hydrochloric acid in it, and have wondered if it was supposed to help your body produce more stomach acid?  my son took it for a period of time cuz he would get "acid" burps that tasted like food.  then after a while he quit and doesn't ever get them any more.  i wonder if it did something like that.  i think i will just have to suck it up and pay for it.  at least there is 330 pills in one bottle!  thanks a bunch gals!

I actually think the NOW enzymes would be way more of what you would need.  The betaine and ox bile will both help increase HCl output and the other stuff will help digest food.  The Zypan will nourish the glands that put out specific enzymes but the betaine is the only thing that is actually helping digest food.  You have no way of knowing if the glandulars are actually causing the glands/organs to put out more.  I also wouldn't want to be taking ammonium chloride.   :P

My .02

patti

cecac

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2009, 03:38:44 AM »
After you take digestive enzymes of any sort for a good period of time your body will eventually begin to make enough of their own.  The goal usually is to be able to stop taking enzymes after one year.

hth

patti

I  know Dr. Bruce West says if using Zypan that about six months will do it.  It is used for healing, so I guess both of these products have the same idea in them, though the time frame is slightly different. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2009, 05:01:03 AM »

hth

patti

I  know Dr. Bruce West says if using Zypan that about six months will do it.  It is used for healing, so I guess both of these products have the same idea in them, though the time frame is slightly different. 

I really think how long someone takes them has way more to do with how bad off their bodies are then what they are taking.  In our home, we've been taking enzymes for 6 months and some of us are BARELY starting to produce more natural enzymes.  But when we started we were wayyyyyyy bad.  So it probably has more to do with that then anything. 

patti

cecac

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2009, 05:22:51 AM »
Oh yes, I agree. ;)  I think he said so, that is, that it may have to be longer.  All of those statements are usually generalizations, I guess.  The thing is, with some enzyme products, I think they may be marketed as something that one must use All the time.  The one thing that may be possibly true about Zypan in particular and Standard Process in general, is that those truly are live products and therefore they may have a better chance of helping the body heal than some other products. (But not necessarily the NOW brand, I wouldn't know.)

Or so I've read....but 

as always, I'm going to be a bit skeptical on any of this stuff, for we all know  :D ::) just how concerned for our health big business is.

So, 4myhoonie, you may just want to go cheaper on this?  Not sure, but just maybe especially since I looked farther up on the thread and it seems the NOW brand is successful for others, as well.

Blessings,

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2009, 04:29:25 PM »
well, i think i will just order the cheap ones to try out on my kids for some problems they have, and since i'm getting them try them on me too. Zypan works so well for me, that i really think it's more of a stomach acid issue.  sadly, it always seems the expensive stuff works better.   ::)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2009, 03:02:57 PM »
ok, gals, i need your expertise.  i bought the NOW super enzymes, not sure how much to use, it seems when i use it i sometimes get a heartburn sort of feeling.  also, if i eat a full meal.  i haven't been using it consistently yet, and i still have some Zypan and more coming in the mail.  i am avoiding my allergens, TOTALLY, yesterday was day 1.  i am so addicted to them.  it is really hard, i don't enjoy food when staying away from them.  and i am having a really hard time figuring out what to eat.  i am treating for yeast with threelac/fivelac and have been on it about 6-8 weeks.  i just feel like crud!  i am having vag. burning, not really itching. and this repetitive burping. some come up like hiccups, some are just moving up my esophagus like it's irritated.  it is so bothersome, i don't want to eat anything.  the threelac was helping, and then i don't know what happened, i just can't eat anything.  even kombucha makes me have the burping, the really irritated kind.  what should i do??? take Zypan every time i eat?  what is the cause of this i wonder??? sometimes i take some extra primal defense, and at first it's worse, then better.  i would so like to get to the bottom of this.  oh, and i'm 4 mo. pregnant.  also, i forgot to say, i really thought the burping was the allergens and would take the Zypan when i ate them.  but now i am not having any of them and it hasn't went away.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:12:09 PM by 4myhoonie »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
4myhoonie,

Okay - first, pregnancy is going to aggravate the burping as I'm sure you already know.  I also know someone else that has trouble with the NOW enzymes.  I think the problem is the bromelain.  Bromelain is very acidic (which is why they use it) but it can cause real issues for some people.  I guess that's why I prefer the biogest from Thorne.  So you have two options.  You can go to a straight betaine chloride (NOW sells it) which will increase the digestive acids as a whole.  What it won't do (because there is no ox bile) is help if you have fat digestion issues.  So I would start with the betaine and see if you get any relief (I'll buy your NOW enzymes because I have one that can use them if you want).  If you don't get relief from that because of not enough help digesting fats then you will likely need to go to the BioGest.  The problem I've seen with other enzymes that have the ox bile is they also tend to have the bromelain which is a real problem for a lot of people. 

Also, is Zypan a prescription?  If it is, then that's your other problem.  Acid inhibiting drugs actually cause a "bounce back" effect when you go off of them.  You've been creating so little acid for so long because of the drugs that when you go off of them the body goes overboard in production.  This is something you just have to work through and be patient with.  Raw goats milk is known to help with the increased indigestion.

hth

patti

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2009, 03:56:45 AM »
hey patti! thanks! ok, i have some of the NOW Betaine HCI and it seemed to be less effective than the Zypan.  Zypan is a Standard Process Supplement which contains:  Betaine hydrochloride, pancreas Cytosol extract, pancreatin (3x) fatty acid, pepsid, ammonium chloride, bovine spleen & ovine spleen. 

so glad you knew that about the bromelain and it's yours!  is one of the ingredients listed in the Zypan the same as ox bile? i knew that the Zypan was supposed to give needed stomach acids, and i figured i must be short.  a chiro gave it to me years ago, and i've used it for my son and it fixed his acid reflux problem.  i've never been on prescriptions meds.  just many years of eating the wrong foods as a child and adult.  i think what i need to do is take the Zypan twice a day, like was told to me when he first put me on it.  i thought that the NOW Super enzymes would be an approx. equivalent for it, but i guess not.  everything is just so expensive.  thanks so much for your help, i will check back in a few days after using the Zypan like i said. i had been very inconsistent.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2009, 04:33:52 AM »
I think rather then the zypan, I would recommend using 2-3 betaine with each meal.  In between meals you would do well to use DGL licorice.  It is very cheap and you suck on it between your tongue and cheek.  It will really help.  You can use as much as you want.  It's a stomach/esophageal comfort, not added HCl.  DGL stands for deglycerinized licorice.  I don't like black licorice at all but I can tolerate this stuff by sucking on it where it doesn't touch my tongue much.

patti

p.s.  PM me with the price for the now enzymes.

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
So if I understand correctly, taking digestive enzymes on a regular basis long-term is eventually supposed to make your body do a better job of producing them on their own? If so, how? And can anybody point me to a reference where I can read more about this?

I'm thinking that I've probably been having trouble with absorption and properly digesting things for years... but the idea of taking digestive enzymes bothers me if it's something that you're stuck doing for the rest of your life. I don't want to become dependent on something. (Not to mention, the cost is a definite factor!). And also, I'm getting quite overwhelmed by all of the different choices/ingredients.

Maybe I'm just getting old and tired, but today, trying to sort through all of this is just kind of overwhelming. Anybody ever wished that being healthy was a whole lot simpler?  :)
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc