Author Topic: Digestive Enzymes: What, When, Why & How  (Read 50101 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Digestive Enzymes: What, When, Why & How
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2009, 12:16:25 PM »
Anybody ever wished that being healthy was a whole lot simpler?  :)

<raising hand>
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
So if I understand correctly, taking digestive enzymes on a regular basis long-term is eventually supposed to make your body do a better job of producing them on their own? If so, how? And can anybody point me to a reference where I can read more about this?

I'm thinking that I've probably been having trouble with absorption and properly digesting things for years... but the idea of taking digestive enzymes bothers me if it's something that you're stuck doing for the rest of your life. I don't want to become dependent on something. (Not to mention, the cost is a definite factor!). And also, I'm getting quite overwhelmed by all of the different choices/ingredients.

Maybe I'm just getting old and tired, but today, trying to sort through all of this is just kind of overwhelming. Anybody ever wished that being healthy was a whole lot simpler?  :)

Oh, I hear ya!  My husband quibbles all the time that this being healthy stuff is costing him more then going to a doctor!   ;D

As for the enzymes, my family has horrible digestion.  My children inherited their portion from hubby (mostly).  We've had them on GOOD digestive enyzmes for 6 months and we can see a huge improvement in their bodies ability to make their own enzymes.  The reason this works is because if you're not digesting, you're not getting the nutrients the body needs to help create its own enzymes.  So, six months into this, the worst two (my DD8 and DS10) are now sooooooo much better.  If DD misses a meal here or there she still has bowel movements with no trouble (you have no idea what a big deal that is!).  My DS was really bad but even he seems to be doing well if he misses here and there.  The goal is that at the one year mark we will begin to cut out one meal a day for a week at a time for 3 weeks.  At that point we really shouldn't need them anymore.  At least not 3 of us.  But hopefully, all of us.

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »
If DD misses a meal here or there she still has bowel movements with no trouble (you have no idea what a big deal that is!).  My DS was really bad but even he seems to be doing well if he misses here and there.  The goal is that at the one year mark we will begin to cut out one meal a day for a week at a time for 3 weeks. 

And by 'missing a meal' you mean misses taking the probiotic with the meal, right?   ;D
But if you've somehow found a way to wean children off of food, I'd LOVE to know the secret of that too!  It would really help my grocery budget!  :D :D :D
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2009, 06:00:56 PM »
If DD misses a meal here or there she still has bowel movements with no trouble (you have no idea what a big deal that is!).  My DS was really bad but even he seems to be doing well if he misses here and there.  The goal is that at the one year mark we will begin to cut out one meal a day for a week at a time for 3 weeks. 

And by 'missing a meal' you mean misses taking the probiotic with the meal, right?   ;D
But if you've somehow found a way to wean children off of food, I'd LOVE to know the secret of that too!  It would really help my grocery budget!  :D :D :D

;D  ;D  ;D

Okay - I was in a hurry and was hoping y'all would extrapolate my meaning.   ;D  If she misses her enzymes at a meal.  There, it's better now. 

;D
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »
I think rather then the zypan, I would recommend using 2-3 betaine with each meal.  In between meals you would do well to use DGL licorice.  It is very cheap and you suck on it between your tongue and cheek.  It will really help.  You can use as much as you want.  It's a stomach/esophageal comfort, not added HCl.  DGL stands for deglycerinized licorice.  I don't like black licorice at all but I can tolerate this stuff by sucking on it where it doesn't touch my tongue much.

patti

p.s.  PM me with the price for the now enzymes.

so what exactly does that help with the digestion of?  proteins, carbs, etc.? i seem to have a real hard time digesting meat so i just am not eating much of it.  i'm thinking that the inability to absorb stuff is the reason i can't grow hair and fingernails well anymore.  it's getting worse.  when i tried it, why did the Zypan work better than the Betaine HCI? i have always thought that i had inadequate stomach acid.  trying to figure this all out......
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:03:42 PM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2009, 05:09:09 PM »
Thanks, mykidsmom! That makes sense about the enzymes allowing you to absorb the nutrients you need so that, in the long run, everything works properly on its own.

So... anybody got an opinion on the Garden of Life brand of enzymes, specifically Ω-Zyme Ultra, Ultimate Digestive Enzyme Blend? (List of ingredients here: http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-8486-Zyme-Ultra-Ultimate-Digestive-Enzyme-Blend-180-Veggie-Caps/7796?at=0)
They have good reviews, and I've liked the Garden of Life brand in other things I've bought before, but I don't want to waste my money if they're no good.

They also don't contain ox bile. How essential is that stuff?  :P
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
I think rather then the zypan, I would recommend using 2-3 betaine with each meal.  In between meals you would do well to use DGL licorice.  It is very cheap and you suck on it between your tongue and cheek.  It will really help.  You can use as much as you want.  It's a stomach/esophageal comfort, not added HCl.  DGL stands for deglycerinized licorice.  I don't like black licorice at all but I can tolerate this stuff by sucking on it where it doesn't touch my tongue much.

patti

p.s.  PM me with the price for the now enzymes.

so what exactly does that help with the digestion of?  proteins, carbs, etc.? i seem to have a real hard time digesting meat so i just am not eating much of it.  i'm thinking that the inability to absorb stuff is the reason i can't grow hair and fingernails well anymore.  it's getting worse.  when i tried it, why did the Zypan work better than the Betaine HCI? i have always thought that i had inadequate stomach acid.  trying to figure this all out......

Each enzyme helps something different digest.  Ox bile is for digesting fats and proteins but even more specific, it helps to digest all of the more difficult foods.  Protease is for proteins, etc.  So each enzyme in a capsule supports a different function.  The issue is that most people have difficulty in one area over another.  So you have to make sure you have MORE of the enzymes needed for your difficult area.  For you, it sounds like you really need the ox bile right now.  I'll write more about this in a PM to you.

patti

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »
Thanks, mykidsmom! That makes sense about the enzymes allowing you to absorb the nutrients you need so that, in the long run, everything works properly on its own.

So... anybody got an opinion on the Garden of Life brand of enzymes, specifically Ω-Zyme Ultra, Ultimate Digestive Enzyme Blend? (List of ingredients here: http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-8486-Zyme-Ultra-Ultimate-Digestive-Enzyme-Blend-180-Veggie-Caps/7796?at=0)
They have good reviews, and I've liked the Garden of Life brand in other things I've bought before, but I don't want to waste my money if they're no good.

They also don't contain ox bile. How essential is that stuff?  :P

Ox bile is extremely important as far as I'm concerned.  I've tried enyzmes without and they just aren't as effective.  I did not look up GOL but what you need is an enzyme WITHOUT bromelain or pineapple.  These tend to be very hard on the stomach and not real effective.  A good enzyme will have the protease, amylase, lactase, etc. and the ox bile added.  When you start getting into the papaya and pineapple additions, it is NOT going to be a very strong enzyme and people with digestive issues need a very strong enzyme.  I have tried several with my family and I keep going back to BioGest by Thorne.  The problem is it is so darned expensive.  The cheapest I've found it is Naturamart.com for $23 something (they have a 20% discount always) and free shipping.  Otherwise, I've been unable to find one with the same ingredients and I've searched high and low.  So if you find one, please do share!!

patti

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »
What about taking just ox bile along with another enzyme?  Here's one for $8.97, each capsule is 500mg, and there's 100 caps.  http://www.vitacost.com/NutriCology-Ox-Bile/pd_section-pr#ProductReviews 

I read that constipation and tan colored stools can be a symptom of of low bile levels.  Has this been anyone's experience?

Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2009, 08:45:34 AM »
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:48:16 AM by hi_itsgwen »

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »
I also found this article very helpful in understanding the differences between digestive and absorption issues, and he also goes into detail about what enzyme supplements are made of:

http://www.elliotthealthcare.com/digestion_problems.htm

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »

I have tried several with my family and I keep going back to BioGest by Thorne. 

patti

I got some of these and have been taking them. I'm wondering... what happens if you take a digestive enzyme and you don't "need" it? Anything?

Also, I don't see lactase listed on the bottle. Does this brand include something to digest dairy?

"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »
I also found this article very helpful in understanding the differences between digestive and absorption issues, and he also goes into detail about what enzyme supplements are made of:

http://www.elliotthealthcare.com/digestion_problems.htm

thank you for that informative article!!  my son has 7 of the 9 symptoms listed for pancreatic enzyme definciency!  guess i'd better be more dilligent about giving him enzymes!  thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »

I have tried several with my family and I keep going back to BioGest by Thorne. 

patti

I got some of these and have been taking them. I'm wondering... what happens if you take a digestive enzyme and you don't "need" it? Anything?

Also, I don't see lactase listed on the bottle. Does this brand include something to digest dairy?

If you don't need the enzymes it will do nothing to hurt you.  It will only make your food break down that much better.  When my MIL got cancer she had decent digestion but they gave her TONS of enzymes because the better food breaks down the better it can heal because more nutrients can be extracted from the broken down food.  So extra enzymes won't hurt you a bit.

I don't have the BioGest in front of me but it does break down dairy.  It doesn't use lactase because people who are allergic to dairy (as I am) wouldn't be able to take them. 

hth

patti

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2010, 04:10:44 AM »
I am having a little trouble comparing 2 children's digestive enzymes.  I am not good at reading these labels.  I am hoping someone might be able to help me out.

this is the brand that we are currently using.  I also use their chewable probiotic for the kids.
http://www.renewlife.com/products/buddy-bear-digest.aspx

here is the other.
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=231565&catid=70275&aid=337953&aparam=nature_s_plus_animal_par&CAWELAID=444304623

If you know of another brand that is better and kids will take I would love to hear about it too.  Thanks for the help.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2010, 05:30:31 AM »
I am having a little trouble comparing 2 children's digestive enzymes.  I am not good at reading these labels.  I am hoping someone might be able to help me out.

this is the brand that we are currently using.  I also use their chewable probiotic for the kids.

This looks fine.  My own concern is it is made with some sort of crusteacean (fish) and those tend to be high allergens.  Not saying that would affect your kids, but if they have allergies it could.

here is the other.
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=231565&catid=70275&aid=337953&aparam=nature_s_plus_animal_par&CAWELAID=444304623

Again, this one looks okay except the pineapple it contains would be a concern if there are any chances of food allergies. 

If you know of another brand that is better and kids will take I would love to hear about it too.  Thanks for the help.

Otherwise, I think they look fine, you would just want to make sure there are no allergy issues to these two things since they tend to be on the allergy list.

patti

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2010, 05:37:31 AM »

This looks fine.  My own concern is it is made with some sort of crusteacean (fish) and those tend to be high allergens.  Not saying that would affect your kids, but if they have allergies it could.

here is the other.

Again, this one looks okay except the pineapple it contains would be a concern if there are any chances of food allergies. 

Otherwise, I think they look fine, you would just want to make sure there are no allergy issues to these two things since they tend to be on the allergy list.

patti

The only food allergy that we have is wheat.  Can you tell me if they are about the same or if one is better/stronge than the other.
My son tends to have a lot of tummy aches and I believe this is part of the prblem.  Thanks

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »

The only food allergy that we have is wheat.  Can you tell me if they are about the same or if one is better/stronge than the other.
My son tends to have a lot of tummy aches and I believe this is part of the prblem.  Thanks

The Buddy Bear is better but still pretty low in terms of units of enzyme. 

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »

The only food allergy that we have is wheat.  Can you tell me if they are about the same or if one is better/stronger than the other.
My son tends to have a lot of tummy aches and I believe this is part of the problem.  Thanks

The Buddy Bear is better but still pretty low in terms of units of enzyme. 

What would be good/recommended as far as units of enzymes?  Maybe I could find a better/stronger one for them.  Do you know of a good one?  Thanks for all your help.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »

If there's wheat allergies there could be allergies to either gluten &/or dairy that could be the problem also. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2010, 02:54:21 PM »

If there's wheat allergies there could be allergies to either gluten &/or dairy that could be the problem also. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Would have to second this.  If he's having tummy aches and you're not eating wheat then he's likely allergic to gluten. 

The enzymes I know of are for adults but I know people who break open the capsules and give them to their kids.  Beeyoutiful has a good one.  BioGest by Thorne is good (except unavailable mostly right now), PanPlex 2 Phase is good but is a pill that would have to be cut. 

patti

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2010, 04:14:35 PM »
http://www.houston-enzymes.com/

This place has enzymes created specifically for autistic spectrum allergies: gluten, phenols, and dairy.  They helped my son's allergies A LOT.  Kind of pricey, but worth it.  IMO.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
I have had my son tested for food allergies and gluten/celiac disease.  The only things that he showed problems with were wheat and dust mights.  I do believe that he has issues with digestion. 

He was born early (in a hospital) which resulted in him being given antibiotics as a precaution.  I believe that this is more than likely the cause of his issues.  He did get wheat the first 2 years of his life, so this would have added to it.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2010, 06:53:23 AM »
Mine was exposed to whooping cough in the newborn nursery at the hospital.  Another baby that was there with him actually died from it.  So, he was given a huge dose of antibiotics his first week of life.  I don't doubt that has something to do with it.

Mine is also one those weird ones who could handle small amounts of gluten (like spelt), but no wheat.  So, I know what you're talking about.  He handled milk, somewhat, but raw milk worked a lot better.  If you have access to some, it might help, too.

Anyway, these enzymes changed his life.  It was one of several things we tried, actually the last thing, but it finished the job.  We used the ones that helped with gluten proteins, and another one to just help with digestion.  We never messed with the phenol one.  He can now eat wheat, where he couldn't before.  And only needs the enzymes every so often.  We used them every day for about 3-6 months.  I can't remember exactly how long.  After that, we phased them out, and only use as needed now. 

I will say, though, that he's now 13 and taller than my husband.  So, age may have something to do with it, too.  But the enzymes helped him a lot when he was younger.  Maybe worth a try?

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2010, 06:56:06 AM »
Oh, this is the book that explained the enzyme protocol, just in case you want to read it:

http://www.amazon.com/Enzymes-Autism-Neurological-Conditions-Updated/dp/0972591850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262710522&sr=8-1

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
http://www.houston-enzymes.com/

This place has enzymes created specifically for autistic spectrum allergies: gluten, phenols, and dairy.  They helped my son's allergies A LOT.  Kind of pricey, but worth it.  IMO.

so you used these tri-enza ones?  wow, that is quite the story!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2010, 06:49:30 PM »
Actually, we used Peptizyde and Zymeprime.  But the tri-enza one would probably be good, too.  What we liked about these is: they are specially formulated for these types of allergies.  So, even though they were expensive, we're now feeding him normal food.  That saves a LOT of money, so, in the end, they were cheaper than just a wheat-free diet.

But, like I said, he's also older, so maybe that has something to do with it.  But, the enzymes really helped him a lot.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »
I ran across this the other day, and thought it would apply to those of you using enzyme therapy with gluten allergies:

I ran across this tidbit of info on bromelain, and wondered if you'd heard this:
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/23/16.cfm

"Bromelain also appears to be helpful for people with food allergies, especially allergies to wheat and other grains, says Dr. Kelly. In one Japanese study, bromelain was added to wheat flour, which was then used to make bread. The enzyme changed the structure of a protein in the wheat and allowed people with wheat allergies to eat the bread without having an allergic response."

Don't know any more than this, but I thought it might warrant further study.  

Patti has mentioned that her family is allergic to pineapples, so the bromelain is out for them.  It would be best to know if you're allergic to pineapple before using bromelain, otherwise, the results could be the opposite of what you'd expect.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2010, 11:09:51 AM »
I ran across this the other day, and thought it would apply to those of you using enzyme therapy with gluten allergies:

I ran across this tidbit of info on bromelain, and wondered if you'd heard this:
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/23/16.cfm

"Bromelain also appears to be helpful for people with food allergies, especially allergies to wheat and other grains, says Dr. Kelly. In one Japanese study, bromelain was added to wheat flour, which was then used to make bread. The enzyme changed the structure of a protein in the wheat and allowed people with wheat allergies to eat the bread without having an allergic response."

Don't know any more than this, but I thought it might warrant further study.  

Patti has mentioned that her family is allergic to pineapples, so the bromelain is out for them.  It would be best to know if you're allergic to pineapple before using bromelain, otherwise, the results could be the opposite of what you'd expect.

Very interesting, Gwen!  I wanted to add that I've been using Absorb-Aid with bromelain (no pineapple allergies) with good results. The reason I like Absorb-Aid is because it's been clinically tested (by the Mayo Clinic and a few others) and proven to be potent. It's what Shonda Parker recommends for morning sickness/the first trimester. It costs less in the powder form than capsule and is very reasonable priced. I bought mine at lucky vitamin.  When reading review on vitacost, amazon, lucky vitamin, etc. before purchasing many people say they the finally found results with this digestive enzyme or come back to it after trying other/cheaper brands.  I'm sure it's not the only one that works well, but just wanted to mention a good one!  Here's some info absorb aid/digestion info:

NATURE'S SOURCES, Absorb Aid

Nature's Sources, LLC. offers a 100% vegetarian plant enzyme called AbsorbAid®. It contains a broad array of plants enzymes that aid in digesting protein, fat and carbohydrates, plus fiber and lactose (milk sugar).

What's the sense of eating healthy foods and taking supplements if your body isn't absorbing the nutrients?

As we age, our body's ability to produce digestive enzymes decreases. That's why many people become lactose intolerant as they age - the body reduces, and sometimes stops the production of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down the milk sugar in dairy products. It's not just lactase, the production of all enzymes are reduced. AbsorAid® helps you digest all food groups, especially dairy and fats.

Scientific Studies

Results from Mayo Clinic and Roche Laboratories show that AbsorbAid® increases absoprtion of nurtients up to 71%. (See below for more detailed information on each nutrient)

Selenium by 20% (Roche Labs)
      Zinc by 71% (Roche Labs)
      EPA - Omega 3 by 33% (Mayo Clinic)
      Linoleic Acid - Omega 6 by 50% (Mayo Clinic)
      Vitamin B6 by 15% (Vitamin Diagnostics)

Publication of a study, "short bowel syndrome" patients in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition showed that AbsorbAid® decreased the incedience of diarrhea by 37%, and increased their nutrient absorption. The study was performed on individueal who have had some or most of their intestines surgically removed, and concluded that AbsorbAid® was able to hyperdigest foods.

Absorption disorders among short bowel syndrome patients is a major problem. These findings are significant, and show great promise in treating the thousands of individuals that require daily intravenous infusion of nutrients to survive.These symptoms also effect several thousand other patients that use liquid diets or liquid meal supplements for survival. Liquid meal supplements often cause diarrhea, and these symptoms are similar to those experienced by HIV and cancer patients undergoing radiation and chemotherapy, all of which have shown improvement with this oral enzyme.

What does Dr. Weils say?

In an issue of Self Healing, (Dr. Weil's monthly newsletter) Dr. Andrew Weil, Editor, recommends AbsorbAid’s™ predecessor pet digestive enzyme, Prozyme™. Dr. Weil’s recommendation is based upon the formulations ability to help digest and absorb nutrients more effectively.

AbsorbAid™ is a unique digestive enzyme. The only one that has been scientifically proven to increase the absorption of vital nutrients up to 71%. These results come from Mayo Clinic Labs and Roche Labs.

AbsorbAid™ is also the healthier option to antacids and acid blockers. When used with meals, AbsorbAid™ can prevent the symptoms of heartburn and other stomach aliments, and can also be used to provide relief when heartburn develops.

FAQs - By Dr. Ray Bayley, DC, DACBN (Board Certified in Nutrition)

Q: Why is it so important to have acid in our stomachs?

A: Stomach acid has many functions such as killing bad microbes that might be in our food. (For example, that is partly why only some people get symptoms of food poisoning among a group eating the tainted food.) Stomach acid itself digests some of our food and it activates enzymes that digest more. Stomach acid, in combination with other secretions in our gastrointestinal tract, gives us the proper balance of acid and alkaline that allows our digestive enzymes to work their best. This balance of acid and alkaline also encourages the growth of friendly microbes (the kind that make vitamins and antibiotics for us right there in our GI tract) and discourages the growth of unfriendly microbes (ones that can steal nutrients, produce gas, irritation, poisons, diseases).

Unfortunately, for the average American, our ability to produce acid and digestive enzymes tends to decrease as we age, often becoming a severe problem when we age. In fact, the statistics are that THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE TAKING ANTACIDS AND ACID BLOCKERS WERE NOT PRODUCING ENOUGH STOMACH ACID TO BEGIN WITH. Startling isn't it? The antacids and acid blockers were taken based on symptoms of indigestion, not an actual analysis of stomach acid output. The symptoms that led to the antacids and acid blockers are more often due clinically to inadequate and too slow digestion and the growth of unfriendly microbes. The truth of this can be seen in the individual by improving the digestion and getting rid of the unfriendly microbes.

Q: What Happens When We Use Antacids?

A: If the antacids actually do remove acid, then we are decreasing the positive benefits of acid noted above--digestion, setting the stage for digestion, microbe control.

Calcium antacids can be a cheap source of calcium if you can absorb and utilize that particular kind of calcium and if it doesn't encourage magnesium deficiency (common in americans)

Calcium is difficult to digest and absorb, acid plays an important role in that, and thus antacids can decrease the availability of the calcium you eat.

Calcium antacids are so efficient at neutralizing acid that the stomach thinks a LOT of food must have arrived and puts out more acid (called rebound hyperacidity), if it can. This often leads to antacid addiction--you are taking more and more antacids over time to get the same results. Now you might actually HAVE too much acid, UNLESS you take your antacids routinely. This may also occur with acid blockers It's a vicious cycle that should be stopped.

Magnesium antacids are mostly nonabsorbable and usually will not help with magnesium deficiencies. They can instead bind up other nutrients and water, leading to a watery stool or diarrhea. The research showing that aluminum is toxic is growing yearly. Therefore, aluminum antacids are suspicious and should be avoided if possible.

Q: Are acid blockers safe to use?

A: Acid blockers (e.g. Axid®, Pepcid®, Tagamet®, Zantac®) are designed to decrease the ability of your stomach to produce acid--a doubtful benefit...and an unnecessary one if improving digestion or getting rid of unfriendly microbes gets rid of the problem.

We know that at least some acid blockers can seriously impair the ability of the liver to get rid of poisons. Like all drugs, acid blockers are poisons that the body must eventually get rid of. Thus you are taking a poison that can make other poisons more poisonous.

The list of acid blocker side effects reported in the literature is long and wide-ranging. Some of it can be explained by their interference with liver function, some is as yet unexplained.

AND, just like the rebound hyperacidity and addiction mentioned above with antacids, one can get addicted to acid blockers. The body is exquisitely designed to adapt to adversity AND the stomach is designed to put out acid in response to food. Often the stomach gets used to the antacids and acid blockers, taking them in account, and comes to rely on them for normal functioning.

IF one needs to take a drug, a poison, it should be taken for only a short time until healthy processes can be restored. Improved digestion is healthy for the body. "First do no harm" is the time-honored guide in therapy, therefore improve digestion as a first choice, as a healthier option to taking antacids and acid blockers, whenever possible.

Ingredients and Activities

Using activities to measure an enzyme formulations effectiveness can be very misleading. The following was taken from Today’s Chiropractic and describes some of the problems with using activities as an indicator of an enzyme's effectiveness.

"Since many different descriptions of potencies are used, it is almost impossible to compare products or even convert from one type of units or weights to another. Until a central testing facility uses the same method for determining total proteolytic activity, and tests every batch of every product, no one will really know which products are superior. One way to avoid the nightmare of comparing label claims and prices is to examine the company promoting the product. If a company… has demonstrated longevity in the industry with a reputation for consistent high quality, then one can be reasonably certain of obtaining a successful product."

Today’s Chiropractic

Enzyme activities are measured in a lab, isolated form other enzymes, food, and the effects of stomach acid on these enzymes. Enzymes are proteins, and proteins are broken down by stomach acid. AbsorbAid® was developed to be stomach acid stable, so it works in the stomach, and continues to be effective in the small intestine. AbsorbAid's® formula has been used for over 15 years by MD’s and alternative medicine doctors. Dr. Andrew Weil recommends AbsorbAid's® predecessor pet digestive enzyme. There are scientific studies proving that AbsorbAid® increases nutrient absorption up to 71%.

I hope this clears up some of the questions that you might have about activities. For your information, I’ve included AbsorbAid’s® activities.

Two (2) Capsules provide - Lipase (381 LU), Amylase (2772 SKBU), Protease {From Bromelain} (12 GDU), Cellulose (99 CU), Lactase (300 LacU). Daily use is based upon 2 capsules with each meal.

Suggested Use

For better digestion of food and optimal absorption of nutrients take 2 capsules, (¼ - ½ teaspoon of powder) with each meal. (More should be used by individuals with compromised digestive systems.) When you experience occasional indigestion, or for nightime discomfort, Open 2 capsules and mix in 2-4 oz. of room temperature water.

AbsorbAid® is not a drug, and there isn't a dosage that will be harmful. AbsorbAid® can be used as often as necessary, when symptoms develop.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:47:42 AM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2010, 07:11:06 AM »
The only thing that will fix the eczema is to remove offending foods.  
This may true for some, but...
Topic derail  ::) (my fault).  Split and moved here.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:19:39 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!