Author Topic: Calcium & Magnesium [ CalMag / Cal-Mag ] Supplementation  (Read 17980 times)

Offline quiverfilling

• Learning
Calcium & Magnesium [ CalMag / Cal-Mag ] Supplementation
« on: September 26, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »
Just wondering if anyone can weigh in on this:

I was talking to someone today about my recent sinus infection (which is much better, PTL!) and she had indicated that when she was nursing that she would get them a lot, too and that her naturalist told her it was due to a magnesium deficiency.  Interesting...since I had just purchased Bone Ami (to help with my calcium intake while nursing,) I was thinking this might have had some effect on me getting better.  Then, though, she said (after I mentioned the Bone Ami) that Calcium and Magnesium should NOT be taken together since they cancel each other out!  So..I looked into that a bit and sure enough there were a couple of places that I found that said that these two minerals compete for absorption and magnesium can lead to calcium deficiency! :o  To make matters worse, I also read that magnesium can inhibit the effective use of the levothyroxine...the med I've been taking to manage my hypothyroidism.  AND....I have noticed an increase in leg cramps the last few nights, which could indicate a calcium deficiency.  AAAH>...there is so much competing information out there and I am trying so hard to be healthier, but I'm not sure if what I'm doing is actually doing more harm than good.  Can anyone weigh in on this calcium/magnesium thing?  Why does Bone Ami put them together if they shouldn't be?  And where in the world can I go to get some non-competing advice?  How do you go about finding a medical practitioner/nutrionist/naturalist...whatever...who can help you navigate the nutrition information maze that is out there and find what you actually need and can benefit from?  It's so overwhelming sometimes...Anyone have any advice?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Calcium & Magnesium [ CalMag / Cal-Mag ] Supplementation
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 11:42:56 AM »
I did a search and found nothing that says magnesium hinders calcium absorbtion.  I'd be interested in the articles you read.  Could you post the links?

Factors that hinder calcium absorption include oxalic acid (chocolate, spinach, beet tops, collard greens, etc.), but this is not of great concern, as dietary calcium is usually far greater than dietary oxalate. The same is true for phytic acid found in whole grains (i.e., wheat bran and whole wheat). Low serum levels of vitamin D and/or PTH decrease calcium absorption.

Following absorption, calcium enters the bloodstream and is transported to body tissue. The major site of deposition is bone.1 Unabsorbed calcium (approximately 60-70 percent of intake levels) is excreted in fecal matter, but may provide a protective role in regards to colon cancer prevention by binding to bile acids and other sterols, and blocking their conversion to cancer-causing secondary sterols .(lithocholic acid, deoxycholic acid)...from

All of the literature I've read in the past tells me that magnesium is essential in the absorption of calcium.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 11:57:27 AM »

All of the literature I've read in the past tells me that magnesium is essential in the absorption of calcium.

This is what I have read/heard, too.  I took a suppliment when I was pregnant that was Calcium and Magnesium together.  Bone Ami is not the only one that couples thoses two things.

Offline quiverfilling

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »
I did a search and found nothing that says magnesium hinders calcium absorbtion.  I'd be interested in the articles you read.  Could you post the links?
I'd be happy to if I could figure out how (I"m not exactly the most computer savvy person on the planet).  The one site I found after doing a search on previous posts about calcium and magnesium here on WTM and Rebekah had put a link to this site:  ttp://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Magnesiumcs.html

You will see the info regarding competing for absorption under precautions.  (Also interesting:  the info about infertility and miscarriage...just a side note).  And now, I can't seem to find the other place I saw it...I'll keep looking.  I know a lot of what I have read has said what you both have indicated that these two minerals are needed together for uptake of the other...it only raised concern for me when my friend mentioned what she did today after talking to someone who is supposed to be an "expert" in this stuff and after putting two and two together with my leg cramps and such.  BUT...maybe it's not as much of an issue as I think.  Who knows?

Okay, I obviously did something wrong with this post since it is showing my entire response as HB's quote...OH well...hopefully you get the message.  ???
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:28:05 PM by healthybratt »

Offline quiverfilling

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 12:27:49 PM »
Okay, here's the other site:
"Both iron and zinc can inhibit calcium absorption as can excess phosphorus and magnesium."
From:  http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/mineralprimer.html

Again, not sure if I'm doing this right, but at least the URL is there and you can type it in if needed.  I need a posting primer I think... ;)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »
I've heard that magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin C all help with calcium absorption.  Also, while you are nursing your body needs more calcium so jack up your supplements or your body will rob your bones and teeth.  That's what my dentist said, anyway.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 04:27:28 AM »
I am 21 weeks preggo with my fourth baby.  I have restless legs that get worse as my pregnancy progresses.  I have read that magnesium and calcium can help.  Does anyone know the proper dosage?
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 05:04:28 AM »
I am 21 weeks preggo with my fourth baby.  I have restless legs that get worse as my pregnancy progresses.  I have read that magnesium and calcium can help.  Does anyone know the proper dosage?

You can start with 1000mg of calcium citrate and 500mg of magnesium (NOT magnesium oxide).  Try that for a week.  If it gets better but not all the way you can bump your calcium to 1500 and your mag. to 750.  Magnesium should always be 1/2 of the calcium dose.

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 05:09:14 PM »
here is a site tha sells watersoluable minerals by Water Oz...i would take 1-2 T of each, but you could ask the fold at Wilderness Family Naturals  http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/angstrom-sized-minerals.htm

4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 02:49:18 PM »
I am PG and I have had this weird feeling in my hands. Especially the left one. It kind of feels like Restless Leg Syndrome in my hands?? My sister (Ella) said calcium w/magnesium would help. How much, how often? Is there a good brand or can I get this at Wal mart?
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 02:56:11 PM »
I have been put on B-2 (riboflavin) and Magnesium (I don't think I spelled it right) for my migranes. I also take Calcium. Both my regular MD and my chiropractor told me to make sure that I took the Calcium and Mag. at different times. They both told me that these 2 supplements are absorbed through the same channel and that while one was being absorbed the other could not be, so it would be flushed from the system while waiting to be absorbed.

This is one reason why I do not take the Bone Ami....I need the mag, and don't want to waste it. I just take a calcium only supplement and a mag only suppliment.

CJ

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 05:42:39 PM »

You can start with 1000mg of calcium citrate and 500mg of magnesium (NOT magnesium oxide).  Try that for a week.  If it gets better but not all the way you can bump your calcium to 1500 and your mag. to 750.  Magnesium should always be 1/2 of the calcium dose.

hth

patti

Why calcium citrate and not magnesium oxide?  Do the other kinds of calcium not absorb at all?  My ND told me that she really doesn't think that it makes a difference what kind of calcium it is, just take it.  Does the oxide interfere with something?  Thanks! :)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »
Don't forget about vit D, it boosts calcium's absorption.

Offline smilejesusluvsu

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 09:55:17 PM »
Well ladies this is really interesting.....
Right after my son was born I had the worst leg cramps ever! It was so painfull I didn't know what to do. My midwife told me to take Calcium Magnesium Citrate. I could not believe how fast it took the pain away
It was simply amazing as I was laying I could feel the pain slowly go away. :)
My mom constantly has terrible leg and back pain. She has been suffering from this for a very long time, as long as I can remember....
Well I gave her some of my CMC and I'm just so curious if it will help her.
I wont know untill tomorow though...
I mean she has tryed sooo many different herbs and medicine that it's becoming frustrating that nothing seems to help.
The brand that I have is by Bluebonnet...

Offline momto4girls

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 03:17:52 PM »
So did anyone figure out if you actually are supposed to take magnesium separately from calcium?

Also, I heard that your supposed to switch between brands, how true is that? Supposedly your body gets used to one brand and stops absorbing it so you have to switch to the next one. If that is in fact true, for how long can you take the one brand before having to switch to a different brand?

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 06:13:29 PM »
bumping brand question, and ideas on taking cal and mag at the same time...

And this is an interesting article
http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cache:bU552CygYgcJ:www.mgwater.com/calmagab.shtml+chocolate+calcium+magnesium&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »
I found a great calcium tea recipe!!

High calcium tea blend

2 ounces nettle
2 ounces oatstraw
2 ounces chamomile flowers
1 ounce alfalfa
1 ounce horetail
1 ounce red raspberry
1 ounce spearmint
1 ounce dandelion (I added this, it wasn't from the original recipe).

This is from the book, Herb Mixtures and Spicy Blends.

I just made this blend today but haven't made the tea yet :)
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »
Cal Mag Tea (Peppermint/Ginger flavor)

4 cups of water
2 tsp alfalfa
1 tsp dandelion
1 tsp ginger root
1 tsp red clover
2 tsp catnip
2 tsp peppermint
2 tsp fennel (I've made it with or without depending on your preference of taste)

If you look all of these up in the Nutritional Herbology, you'll find that this combo is extremely high in calcium, magnesium & phosphorus, a potent combo for absorption of these elements.

I made up this recipe to calm the tingling sensations in my healing nerves.  It works as well as straight Valerian and tastes sooooooooooo much better.  Theoretically, it should help with the leg aches and restlessness that calmag supplements are reputed to help, especially with the high phosphorus content.

This tea would be good for sluggish liver, water retention, relaxation, insomnia, nervine anxiety, iron deficiency, viral infections, tummy aches, inflammation and even coughs.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57:48 AM »
Cal Mag Tea (Peppermint/Ginger flavor)

4 cups of water
2 tsp alfalfa
1 tsp dandelion
1 tsp ginger root
1 tsp red clover
2 tsp catnip
2 tsp peppermint
2 tsp fennel (I've made it with or without depending on your preference of taste)

If you look all of these up in the Nutritional Herbology, you'll find that this combo is extremely high in calcium, magnesium & phosphorus, a potent combo for absorption of these elements.

I made up this recipe to calm the tingling sensations in my healing nerves.  It works as well as straight Valerian and tastes sooooooooooo much better.  Theoretically, it should help with the leg aches and restlessness that calmag supplements are reputed to help, especially with the high phosphorus content.

This tea would be good for sluggish liver, water retention, relaxation, insomnia, nervine anxiety, iron deficiency, viral infections, tummy aches, inflammation and even coughs.

I am interested in doing some sort of combination of the above two recipes.  Does anyone know more about horsetail?   It is extremely high in calcium, but it seems to be contraindicated for anyone pregnant or even thinking about becoming pregnant (I am the latter).   Does anyone have any other information about it - some say it is fine for pregnancy, others have a warning.  Thanks!

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 10:23:36 AM »
You should not use catnip or clover when pregnant. However, the tea I posted has calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus in it and as far as I know all herbs are safe during pregnancy.

Oatstraw alone is rich in calcium, magnesium, as well as Vitamins A, B Complex, C and E.

Chamomile is high in calcium and magnesium and also contains moderate amounts of potassium, manganese and phosphorus.

Dandelion is also high in vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, E, and iron.

Alfalfa contains calcium and magnesium and phosphorus. The only warnings I found are that you should not eat it raw when pregnant.

Everything else is good except HORSETAIL. I have read it isn't safe during pregnancy since not enough research has been done.
So, just leave out the horestail :)

Hope this helps!

Here is the teat I posted above:
High calcium tea blend

2 ounces nettle
2 ounces oatstraw
2 ounces chamomile flowers
1 ounce alfalfa
1 ounce red raspberry
1 ounce spearmint
1 ounce dandelion (I added this, it wasn't from the original recipe).
(1 ounce horetail--Do not use during pregnancy or nursing).
This is from the book, Herb Mixtures and Spicy Blends.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:31:36 AM by southmom2k »
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »
Is this tea ok for children?

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »
I would think so. I make a tincture of mostly the same herbs. The recipe came out of the ABC Herbal book.

Offline neilbeth

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »
since i KNOW i won't drink that much tea, can all that (or at least the herbs i have here) be made into a tincture? hmmm... then how much do i know to take to get the right amount of calcium/mag?

what about shoshanna mentioning LIQUID cal-mag on her dvds... what's that brand? anyone know?
thanks.