Author Topic: Metformin?  (Read 5058 times)

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
Metformin?
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »
I have just been prescribed metformin and wanted to see if anyone else out there has had any experiences.   We have been trying for a second child and things natural just don't seem to be working.....or at least fast enough.   I have issues with insulin resistance and the hormonal imbalances that go along with it - this seems like a relatively benign drug to use.   Our daughter is 2 1/2 and we would love for her to have a sibling before she gets much older.   And I'm 30 and not getting any younger :)  Any info anyone?   Thanks!

Offline infojunkie00

• Learning
    • my blog about homemaking and homeschooling
Re: Metformin?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »
I had been dx with PCOS and I took metformin and clomid and get pg with my oldest. It was hard on my stomach though, ugh.  A couple years later when we moved here I tried clomid alone (doc would not rx both) and did not get pg. Then about 2 yrs after that we were finally able to change doctors and this one would give me metformin but not clomid. Tried, no pg. SO, fo rme, it only worked in combination with the clomid. However my fertility problems may be more involved then yours so it may work for you.  I don't think there is any damage to be done by trying it.
Angie
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord,
thoughts of peace and not of evil,
to give you a future and a hope.
*(Jeremiah 29:11)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »
I am on Metformin ER. I like the ER version better because it seems to cause less digestive disturbances. Metformin is popular for being a medication to cause explosive diarrhea, extra gas and other bowel disturbances. But it varies amongst people.

I know that people use metformin to help decrease their insulin resistance in hopes of getting pregnant. And it may very well help, I don't know. I do know that it does help my insulin resistance not be so bad thus helping my blood sugars not be as high.

I assume you probably have PCOS?

I don't always take my metformin because of the digestive disturbances. I find that taking the natural mineral that we all need called CHROMIUM GTF helps real well with decreasing insulin resistance, lowering carb cravings and lowering the blood sugars. I find that NATURE SUNSHINES CRHOMIUM GTF is the best so far. Natures Sunshine's chromium GTF has a few other herbs mixed in with it I assume to enhance it? 
I read that chromium is a mineral that insulin resistance people are lacking in for whatever reason.

http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/products/catalog/product/default.aspx?stocknum=1801

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »
Was dx with PCOS in 2005 when I could not conceive a second child. I was offered a combo of metformin and Clomid in order to get pregnant. I didn't want to take a fertility drug, so we opted to take just the metformin. Over the next several months I watched my symptoms fade away and after seven months, conceived successfully. (I was also watching carbs during this time.)

I had the side effect of diarrhea on and off for perhaps a month, then my body adjusted. For me, met has been a good solution.

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I took my first dose last night.  Now, my only question is about the possibility of being pregnant and still taking metformin.   My period should start in about 3 days and there is the possibility (even though it is unlikely) of being pregnant.   I think it is too early to take a test - but according to the information I read on it there don't seem to be any contraindications.   Does anyone know any differently? 

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:36:00 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I took my first dose last night.  Now, my only question is about the possibility of being pregnant and still taking metformin.   My period should start in about 3 days and there is the possibility (even though it is unlikely) of being pregnant.   I think it is too early to take a test - but according to the information I read on it there don't seem to be any contraindications.   Does anyone know any differently? 

http://forums.ovusoft.com/tm.asp?m=10085424&p=1&tmode=1

Some doctors recomend Metformin during pregnancy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 06:06:09 AM by herbs girl »

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
Thank you!!!   That was so helpful to read.  I have taken a prescription about 2-3 times in my entire 30 years of life, so I'm a bit leery of anything allopathic.  The doc has me on a super low dose - 1/2 of 500 mg once per day.   I didn't realize how low this really was until I read some of the other dosages being taken.   So, hopefully it is enough.  Thank you again.