Author Topic: Where to get a good drying rack...  (Read 4335 times)

Offline eatyourveggies

• Learning
Where to get a good drying rack...
« on: February 05, 2009, 12:16:30 PM »
I've been looking for a good large wood drying rack for clothing and have not been able to find one. They're either way over priced ($70 and up) or too small and/or flimsy. Besides IKEA are there any places I should look?

Thanks!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: Where to get a good drying rack...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »
An old crib side works & broken cribs are fairly easy to find for free. A light color one is better if it's wood just in case the coloring in the wood bleeds when it's wet. You can either lean it up against a wall- if you have floor heater vents lean it up against the wall over the vent & it will dry even quicker- or you can take two dining chairs with the backs facing each other spaced just a little less than the length of the crib side & rest the crib side across them. Works great for socks, diapers, t-shirts, etc. For the larger items, placing it across the chair backs just before bed works best. For small items, leaning against the wall anytime works well.

I used to do this daily when we didn't have a dryer.

I have also seen people use a metal bunk bed platform as an even larger clothes drying rack leaned up against the wall outside. It might not be a good idea to do it inside the house with a large rack like that if you have little kids though. They might knock a large rack over & get hurt. The crib side for inside use is smaller & we never had a problem with it.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
Here's something if you want to buy one somewhere:

http://parents.berkeley.edu/recommend/where2buy/laundryracks.html

Here's one for around $40:

http://www.brylanehome.com/product.aspx?PfId=122071&DeptId=15238&ProductTypeId=1

It [probably isn't as quality, but it does work if it is like what I have. I use it with the aid of rubber bands to keep it standing up since it is collapsible.

Another one that may be of more quality:

http://www.bestofnewengland.com/detail.aspx?ID=1603

Offline Godismyjudge:)

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »
 Do you have any Amish stores around? That's where we bought ours..really nice sturdy big ones, non-stained.
 HTH!

Offline eatyourveggies

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
Ladies thanks so much for the replies/links/suggestions! Extremely helpful especially the crib side suggestion! I don't have kids so I'd have to look for something like that.

Wow! Thanks again! : )

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
I've been looking for a good large wood drying rack for clothing and have not been able to find one. They're either way over priced ($70 and up) or too small and/or flimsy. Besides IKEA are there any places I should look?

Thanks!

Hey, eatyourveggies, have you found what you were looking for? Just curious  ;)

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »
In case you haven't found one yet, here's my 2 cents:  I have two from The Container Store that I love!  I think they sell a couple different sizes, but I have the largest one and I'm pretty sure they weren't any more than $25 or $30.  They hold a lot and are quite sturdy.
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
I got mine from Lehmans.com they have three different sizes, I got the large and LOVE IT. 
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline khrys

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »
If you don't mind metal instead, I have a really nice stainless steel drying rack from Bed Bath and Beyond.  I like it better than my wooden one now, because it is smoother (no snags), and it doesn't get moldy.  My wooden one has black streaks on it now that I think are mold.  Also, the metal one folds up thinner than the wood one.  I found my wood one at a thrift shop.
Helpmeet to dh since 8/99, SAHM to ds1 (3/05) and ds2 (12/09)