Author Topic: Any of you use Maca root?  (Read 21637 times)

Offline Mama Bear

• Adept
Any of you use Maca root?
« on: September 17, 2006, 08:32:07 AM »
How do you take it? I just ordered some organic maca powder. It is suppose to help regulate female hormones...I am kind of skiddish of powders...I haven't ever had any that 'tasted' good! The powder was recommended over capsules, because it is suppose to be stronger and absorbed into the body faster...hence faster results.
I wonder if I could put this in orange juice...any ideas?
Thanks
Gina

Offline Mom in Mo

• Learning
Re: Any of you use Maca root?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 09:49:12 AM »
I have used maca  from maca magic.  I got an intro pack that had powder, tincture and a coffee type drink.  I preferred the tincture because it was easy to take in  juice.  I tried the powder in pancakes and oatmeal and it was ok.  It has a coffee flavor so if you like coffee you will probably like it.  I don't mind it so much with chocolate.  I am waiting to try it in smoothies when I get some kefir made.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 10:43:01 AM »
I have used maca  from maca magic.  I got an intro pack that had powder, tincture and a coffee type drink.  I preferred the tincture because it was easy to take in  juice.  I tried the powder in pancakes and oatmeal and it was ok.  It has a coffee flavor so if you like coffee you will probably like it.  I don't mind it so much with chocolate.  I am waiting to try it in smoothies when I get some kefir made.

MMMMMMM ....tastes like coffee ????  Oooooooh, what I could do with some of this stuff and it's good for you too?  *snicker*.  Use top secret recipes clone for Starbucks frapacino and sub the root for the Espresso - mmmmmm -- frapacino.   ;D ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 10:51:22 AM »
Gina,
I take the powder. I just bought some empty capsules from a natural pharmacy and put the powder in them. I don't mind taking pills, but the powder tasted pretty raunchy to me. I don't see that this would be much different than just eating it off the spoon. I also take cayenne pepper this way. I wish I could figure out how to get coconut oil into those little capsules. :P HTH Leslie

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 01:58:09 PM »
. I wish I could figure out how to get coconut oil into those little capsules. :P HTH Leslie

Use a dropper, like one you might use to give a baby medicine, and just drop it in.  You'd probably want to use a big size capsule to be worth your while, though.

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 03:55:46 PM »
. I wish I could figure out how to get coconut oil into those little capsules. :P HTH Leslie

Use a dropper, like one you might use to give a baby medicine, and just drop it in.  You'd probably want to use a big size capsule to be worth your while, though.

Thats a good idea. My oil is solid this time of year so I guess I'd have to melt it. I'm too lazy! ;D Thanks for the idea! Leslie

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 04:43:56 PM »
You can buy coconut oil already in the capusules...then you wouldnt' have to put it in the capsule!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 04:39:55 PM »
You can buy coconut oil already in the capusules...then you wouldnt' have to put it in the capsule!

WHERE????? :o

Offline Caroline

• Adept
    • New Little Blessing
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 05:01:46 PM »
I have always wanted to take Maca root because I have heard rave reviews on how well it is for your adrenal glands, and mine are low.  But I am breastfeeding an 11 month old, and that is sorta our form of birth control, it seems to work for us. I don't want it doing anything with my hormones, making me more fertile. Any thoughts on this? Do you know if this would happen? Also, can you take it while you nurse? Thanks!
Caroline
www.newlittleblessing.com
Ergos, Pregnancy/Ovulation tests, Books, Modest Patterns, Modest Nursing covers, Baby and Child size slings and Vitamins!

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 05:14:54 PM »
I have always wanted to take Maca root because I have heard rave reviews on how well it is for your adrenal glands, and mine are low.  But I am breastfeeding an 11 month old, and that is sorta our form of birth control, it seems to work for us. I don't want it doing anything with my hormones, making me more fertile. Any thoughts on this? Do you know if this would happen? Also, can you take it while you nurse? Thanks!
I'm not sure. My bottle (Whole World Botanicals) says "not reccomended for women taking BC pills.?? Leslie

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 05:17:42 AM »
 I wanted to BUMP this up.  Anybody else use Maca?  Especially for hormone and cycle regulation?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 06:18:04 AM »
Hardly anybody seems to know much about maca.  I just started it, and my basal body temp has been extremley low in the past couple weeks (96's)   THe morning after I started drinking 2 Tablespoons of maca in nesquick milk, My basal body temp shot up to 97.1!!!  I am so excited, I think it will help me get my hormones balanced out.  It is supposed to balance estrogen dominance, help morning sickness, help increase? breastmilk, and make libido go up, plus nourish your adreanals, pancreas, pituitary, thyroid, and balance all hormones.  Best of all it is a food.  Nobody else has any expereince with this?  I thought most everything "Good" naturally was discussed on WTM!!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 12:08:40 PM »
Where do you live, it must be a warm climate for Maca?  We live in Wisconsin.  Never heard of growing it in US but why not? :D

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 02:58:26 PM »
Let us  know how it turns out with growing the Maca.  It looks like a beet, I read its in the radish family!!

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »
Herbs Girl, are you (or anyone else  :)) taking maca root?  I googled it to get some more info since I don't see much about it on WTM, and it looks to good to be true!  I read on WTM somewhere that primrose oil can help with leveling out hormones, got some, and have been taking them for about two weeks.  I can't believe how EVERYTHING has been bothering me since being on that!  I'll have to read up on PRO.  But, in the meantime, maca root looks great.  Is it?
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »
Herbs Girl, are you (or anyone else  :)) taking maca root?  I googled it to get some more info since I don't see much about it on WTM, and it looks to good to be true!  I read on WTM somewhere that primrose oil can help with leveling out hormones, got some, and have been taking them for about two weeks.  I can't believe how EVERYTHING has been bothering me since being on that!  I'll have to read up on PRO.  But, in the meantime, maca root looks great.  Is it?

I am not herbsgirl, but....I have been taking maca for three months.  It has reduced night sweats, moodiness, irritability.  I have more energy, etc....  It isn't the miracle cure.  I am not out of the woods, but I am better!

I take Feminessence by Maca Life.  2-2x daily.  My ND says that it does matter what brand you buy when it comes to maca.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 06:46:46 AM by crystal »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 05:24:42 PM »

No I dont use it now, but I have in the past!

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 09:28:20 AM »
herbs girl, why did you stop using it (maca root)?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »
herbs girl, why did you stop using it (maca root)?

It did make me have better moods, and energized me some, but didnt make me ovulate with PCOS!  I guess it depends the reason your taking it.

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »
  Thanks. I wonder if it would lengthen my LP since it's suppossed to balance all hormones?.... :-\

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »
  Thanks. I wonder if it would lengthen my LP since it's suppossed to balance all hormones?.... :-\

It might. What has worked for me is Femaprin Vitex, it is also supposed to balance your hormones, and legthen your LP. I just take one a day each morning...easy fix! Femaprin also made me ovulate recently which is almost miricle for me in my circumstance right now! Heres a link for it incase your interested

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1945&at=0

Also Maca capsules are supposed to work well with Vitex.

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »
Thanks, ladies!  I appreciate your input.  Anyone else want to share your experience with maca root?  Has anyone tried the roasted maca root coffee substitute?
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 01:36:10 AM »
I've been following this thread with interest, as I just read a tidbit on Maca that sounded very interesting. Figured I'd share it, it's from a blog, just for another experience with it.

http://www.cheeseslave.com/2009/03/17/top-5-tips-for-balancing-hormones-naturally-with-food/

Offline FaithAcre

• Learning
    • Faith Acre Farmgoods
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 05:46:06 AM »
bumping this one up.  I too don't hear much about Maca, but have really been wanting to try it out.  My friend has been using the Maca Magic tincture for a couple weeks now and she says it hasn't done much of anything for her.  So this make me a bit leary in wanting to try it. 

I have heard great things about Femaprin though....
~Tara~
Happy Helpmeet to Kev
Merry Mama to the little ladies

Faith Acre Farmgoods
See my website for the most moisturizing soap you can find: Goat Milk Soap!

Offline nomadicjcfollower

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 07:04:42 AM »
Has anyone had anything bad happen while using maca? Also has anyone used it during pregnancy, what was the result? I am not pregnant, just curious, but would like to use it to help get pregnant. Still nursing a 11 month old, no signs of ovulation yet :-\

Offline FarmWife

• Adept
    • Amazing Graze Farm
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »
Has anyone used maca when they think they are going into menopause?  I am still having cycles, but I have started some anxiety which is not normally me at all.  I had a midwife tell me to take flax seed oil (3 times what was recommended on the bottle).  I also started progesterone cream, but did read where people used maca.  Anyone out there??
Only by His merciful grace,
Marci

Come check out our store..
www.amazinggrazefarm.com/store

Offline nomadicjcfollower

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:09 PM »
Anyone used maca while pregnant? Any studies out there about it? If not I vote we do one ourselves! ;)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 06:42:57 PM »
I don't know of any studies, but when I was researching maca I remember reading that most places said it was safe in small amounts during pregnancy.

Offline tuffof7

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »
I am taking Maca because I read it's good for balancing hormone's ...I had 3 m/c's this year...Has anyone taken it for recurrent m/c's?????

Offline Joelswife

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »
I have read that maca is great for fertility. However, someone recently told me that raw maca isn't good for you. She said that in Peru it was always cooked. Any insight?