Author Topic: Best online sources for bulk gluten-free flours/baking aids?  (Read 5295 times)

Offline LearningMommy6

• Learning
Best online sources for bulk gluten-free flours/baking aids?
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:32:09 AM »
Help!  Buying the small bags in the HFS is so expensive!

Kim 

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
Re: Best online sources for bulk gluten-free flours/baking aids?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:18:42 AM »
If you live where Azure Standard delivers, they have good prices on bulk, including many of the GF flours.  You can also go directly to Bob's Red Mill website and order from them.  You'd pay shipping but perhaps the bulk savings would offset it?  Another place to try is Amazon.com grocery section.  They actually have a pretty good variety of GF foods, including flours and mixes and any order over $25 is free shipping.

Those are my three most common sources rather than the local HF store.
hth,
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline sickmomgirl

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:49:51 AM »
also, does anyone know the best way to purchase gluten free/ potato free flour (like buckwheat and amaranth). is it cheaper to buy it at the hfs or online with shipping?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »
That would depend on what the price is at the health food store versus the best deal you can find online.  ;D
Whole food and health food store prices can vary greatly and there are many online bulk or discount sites that offer free shipping on larger orders.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »
I know vitacost has lots of rice pasta and products that are very well priced compared to the HFS.  Shipping is inexpensive or free if your order is over a certain amount. I did some research for my mom a while ago. I have a food coop (Azure Standard...they have a web site) the does the west coast and more so this is where I order most of my foods from that I would normally buy at the hfs.  I buy supplements online most the time.  HTH!

"gluten free flour" search results from vitacost
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=gluten%20free%20flour

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:44:34 AM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:31:23 AM »
You might also consider buying whole grains and grinding them yourself.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »
You might also consider buying whole grains and grinding them yourself.

I have done this for years.  The only time I buy flour is to make playdough!  Flour loses most if not all it's nutritional value the first several days after it has been milled.  I really don't even mill much flour right now cause I don't know how to bake GFDFEG, usually just use whole grains instead in meals.  We eat pasta maybe 2 times a year, if that, because it's non-nutritious and basically just dead food. But, I know how sick you are, so right now it may to overwhelming for any of that, except maybe just using whole foods/grains.  AND, I do know that it's nice to have some kind of bread product here and there!  I really like the Pamela's rice flour cake mixes and other mixes...so good!!  WE ate those b4 gluten free for birthdays, just cause they are soooo good!

Pamela's products at vitacost
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=pamela%27s
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:04:39 AM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.