Author Topic: Dairy Allergy or Intolerance?  (Read 11127 times)

Offline P31Mom

• Learning
  • So much to learn, so little time
    • Michelle's Family
Dairy Allergy or Intolerance?
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »
Several of my children have dairy issues.  I took them off almost all dairy 3 weeks ago, and their health has improved drastically.  The naturopathic woman that I've been talking to has told me that if they are dairy intolerant that they should never have dairy.  However, some of what I've read is that if they are intolerant to just the lactose, they can still eat Kefir, because the bacteria in the Kefir eats virtually all the lactose.

Along those lines of thought, is their a safe way for a dairy intolerant person to consume dairy?  Is dairy intolerance usually just from the lactose, and if so can they have lactose free dairy?  How can I tell the difference between an dairy allergy and just lactose intolerance?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Dairy Allergy or Intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:26:57 PM »
Several of my children have dairy issues.  I took them off almost all dairy 3 weeks ago, and their health has improved drastically.  The naturopathic woman that I've been talking to has told me that if they are dairy intolerant that they should never have dairy.  However, some of what I've read is that if they are intolerant to just the lactose, they can still eat Kefir, because the bacteria in the Kefir eats virtually all the lactose.

Along those lines of thought, is their a safe way for a dairy intolerant person to consume dairy?  Is dairy intolerance usually just from the lactose, and if so can they have lactose free dairy?  How can I tell the difference between an dairy allergy and just lactose intolerance?

I had an ND tell me one time that it's actually rare for someone to be lactose intolerant.  It's more likely an all out allergy.  That said, test your theory using dairy with some lactaid for digestion and see how they do.  Generally speaking, if it's an allergy they will have some sort of reaction.  Rashes, behavior, headaches, dizziness, etc.  If it's lactose intolerant then the lactaid will help and they would be fine.  If you notice some of their health symptoms returning then it's an allergy vs. being lactose intolerant. 

*Most* people (certainly not all) that are allergic to dairy can handle butter and hard cheeses (cheddar).  This is NOT true for my son.  But for my others they can handle these.  However, none of mine can handle kefir, yogurt, etc. 

If one is lactose intolerant then they can have anything that is lactose free or you can give them the enzymes they need when they eat dairy so they can digest it. 

If one is dairy allergic they generally are unable to have dairy (as I posted above).  If someone avoids dairy long enough they may be able to have it once in awhile without issue.  Eg.  I'm allergic to dairy but if I've obstained from all dairy for several months and then drink a glass of milk or have cheese or something, then I don't have a reaction.  But if I tried to do that two days in a row, I'd have rashes. 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:48:50 AM »
Some folks that can't handle industrial dairy can tolerate raw dairy for much the same reason that they can tolerate kefir.  Because the dairy still includes live organisms and enzymes that aid in the digestion of the foods.  Pasteurized dairy products have none of this which is why they probably created "Lactaid" in the first place.   :-\

When you're ready to re-introduce dairy, I would highly recommend you try raw milk and kefir made from raw milk.  If they still react to the milk but not the kefir, another member has told us that a month on kefir reversed the intolerance to the milk for her whole family.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »
Some folks that can't handle industrial dairy can tolerate raw dairy for much the same reason that they can tolerate kefir.  Because the dairy still includes live organisms and enzymes that aid in the digestion of the foods.  Pasteurized dairy products have none of this which is why they probably created "Lactaid" in the first place.   :-\

When you're ready to re-introduce dairy, I would highly recommend you try raw milk and kefir made from raw milk.  If they still react to the milk but not the kefir, another member has told us that a month on kefir reversed the intolerance to the milk for her whole family.

I'm thinking those that can handle the raw dairy are likely lactose intolerant vs. an outright dairy allergy?  I know in our house we can't even touch raw milk without the same reactions as store milk.  But if someone is lactose intolerant the raw has all the enzymes they would need so it would make sense the raw wouldn't bother them.  Just thinking out loud..........
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »

I'm thinking those that can handle the raw dairy are likely lactose intolerant vs. an outright dairy allergy?  I know in our house we can't even touch raw milk without the same reactions as store milk.  But if someone is lactose intolerant the raw has all the enzymes they would need so it would make sense the raw wouldn't bother them.  Just thinking out loud..........
This would make me suspect casein intolerance and/or leaky gut.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »

This would make me suspect casein intolerance and/or leaky gut.

Casein intolerance is basically an allergic reaction to milk protein... right? 

I can take just a drop of raw milk on my finger and put it to my 1 yo's cheek and within a couple of minutes she will have a big red welt on her face. 

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »
Yes, casein is the protein in milk, lactose is the sugar. D&L if your DD welt up like that from raw milk, I would say that she is VERY allergic to casein.

The GAPS diet would be a really good idea for anyone with a casein allergy to help heal the gut & possibly make it to where the person can have limited amounts of dairy. DON'T rush it through the diet though, BE SURE to take it slow enough to allow the gut to HEAL, not just get temp relief.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline cushsb

• Learning
    • Your Kefir Source
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »
hmmm... interesting thread about dairy allergies and lactose intolerance..
so just to sum up the above, what you guys are saying are:

allergic to dairy:
no chance of eating milk, raw milk, cheese, kefir, yogurt or any other dairy related stuff

lactose intolerant:
can still eat probiotics food stuff like kefir/yogurt/raw milk as long as there is live microorganisms

did i get it right? correct me if i got it wrong.  ;D
-cushsb
"Your food shall be your medicine" - Hippocrates
lovin' kefir from kefir grains

Offline mattcan

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
Close. Kefir and yogurt (and real, natural aged cheeses) are okay for lactose intolerant people, because they have a large amount of lactase-producing bacteria in them, which allows the lactose to be properly broken down in the stomach. Raw milk doesn't have nearly the level of lactase enzymes in it for a lactose intolerant person to digest it properly. For a lactose intolerant person, it's just as bad as any other kind of milk.

hmmm... interesting thread about dairy allergies and lactose intolerance..
so just to sum up the above, what you guys are saying are:

allergic to dairy:
no chance of eating milk, raw milk, cheese, kefir, yogurt or any other dairy related stuff

lactose intolerant:
can still eat probiotics food stuff like kefir/yogurt/raw milk as long as there is live microorganisms

did i get it right? correct me if i got it wrong.  ;D
May we all find answers to our health questions, and reach the best level of health we're capable of.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
Besides lactose intolerance which can be handled as mattcan described you can also have a temporary casein intolerance due to leaky gut. Heal the the digestive tract and immune systems and you won't be allergic anymore.

In addition, many people who react to dairy are reacting to a certain type of beta-casein...A1 a mutant protein. Most of the cow's milk available today is A1, certainly most of the commercially processed is. Most goat milk, Guernsey milk, the old lines of Jersey milk, and some other animal milks are A2.
Raw milk farmers are more likely to own old genetic stock with the original A2 beta casein and most goat breeds give A2.

It's worth a shot for those that react to dairy to look into a healing diet like GAPS (Gut and Phsychology Syndrome) and a source for A2 beta-casein milk.