Author Topic: Weight gain at 4 months postpartum?  (Read 5445 times)

Offline Peg4Jesus7

• Adept
Weight gain at 4 months postpartum?
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:49:28 PM »
Has anyone else noticed an obvious, maybe dramatic, weight gain when baby is 4 or 5 months old?  On both baby AND mom at the same time?  After losing the baby weight, and with no (or very little) change in diet or exersize?  Is this hormones?

I have noticed it with all four of my babies, but the first three I attributed to the baby starting solids and not nursing as much, figured I must be eating too much.

But it was so dramatic this last (fourth) time ... like I gained 20 pounds within a matter of a couple/few weeks!  I first noticed baby filling out, chunky thighs (though my babies were all very slim), and thought, "oh good, she needs to gain weight."  But realized that I, too, had put on a lot of weight VERY quickly ... literally, it was only several weeks' time.

Plus, I hadn't started her on solids yet, so I realized it wasn't that she was nursing less (demanding less calories from me).

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a trend like this after having their babies?

Blessings,
Peg
"The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zeph. 3:17

Offline Peg4Jesus7

• Adept
Re: Weight gain at 4 months postpartum?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »
No one has replied, so I guess I'm the only one who has experienced this.  I am still unable to lose this weight, even though I'm exercising and eating decently.  My Mummy tummy hasn't gone away either ... sigh ... very discouraging.
"The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zeph. 3:17

Offline Auddy

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
I have noticed that with me I can never get rid of the weight until I start my cycle. After I start than the weight will finally come off. I've always thought it was because of hormones. Maybe It's hormones with you too. Though I don't know why it would happen to the baby too. Are you taking supplements or medication?

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »
I can't lose weight either until my cycle returns which coincides with less nursing and putting baby on solids.  I've always heard that if you nurse your baby you'll slim down faster and it simply is not true with me.  I eat more when I'm nursing and can't seem to drop those last 10 lbs.  I'm thinking it may be hormonal for you too.  Do you notice any hormonal changes at the time you gain the weight? 

Offline Peg4Jesus7

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:42:25 PM »
I'm still taking prenatal vits (still nursing, only once or twice a day) and some probiotics when I think of it.  No medication.  But I haven't started my cycle yet, so maybe that's the case with me, too.  I lean towards the hormonal explanation too; since I'm nursing, it may be passing to the baby that way.

I can't say I notice any hormonal changes in particular, but it's the best explanation I can think of.

Thanks for the input, ladies!  I'll see how it goes when I finally get my cycle back, which will probably be after I'm completely done nursing.

Blessings,
Peg