Author Topic: Any ideas on how to make something like 'Metromint' water?  (Read 9226 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Any ideas on how to make something like 'Metromint' water?
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:58:12 AM »
I have been buying this bottled water called Metromint.  They have several flavors, Spearmint, Peppermint, Chocolate Mint, and Orange mint.  I just like the peppermint.  The only ingredients (at least in the peppermint) are purified water and mint.  It is pure water colored, not dark like tea, and about the most refreshing thing I've ever tasted.  But it's expensive, of course.  I was thinking I would really enjoy drinking that during labor.  Does anyone have any idea how to make something similar?  It tastes very different from peppermint tea.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Any ideas on how to make something like 'Metromint' water?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:15:21 AM »
You might want to try just a drip or two of peppermint extract in water and see if that's the taste that you're looking for.  Peppermint extract can be found in the 'Spice' section at your grocery, right next to the vanilla.    ;)

Sounds pretty good to me, too.  I'm currently hooked on lime flavored mineral water.  It's expensive, but I only put about a 1/2 - 2/3 cup into my 1 litre water bottle with my purified water, so it lasts a while.  I'll have to try peppermint.

My children love almond extract in milk.  Just one of those funny things that makes the world more pleasant, I suppose. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »
I'd get some peppermint essential oil - found in the health food store mostl likely.  It's just pure peppermint.

Use 1-2 drops (no more!) into 8 ounces of water.  I use it for nausea, digestion stuff, etc.  It is heavenly!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:36:58 PM »
Well I have both peppermint oil and extract.  I had wondered if it was just peppermint oil but I thought they would have to list it like that in the ingredients but all the ingredient said is 'mint'.  You are talking about peppermint essential oil, right?  That is what I have.  I'm a bit afraid of it though because when I have tried to bathe with a few drops in the tub it burns my skin and I feel like I'm on fire.  I've never heard anyone else say that so I figure I might have a slight allergy or something?

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »
I have had that happen with essential oils in the bath before too. It has only happened with cheaper brands though....... So maybe your essential oil is not solvent free or  ???  :-\ I use peppermint oil straight on my skin when I have a stomach ache. I have used both Mt Rose Herbs and Swiss Aromatics for my peppermint.

ETA: I have had a hard time adding peppermint e.o. to water....... maybe there is something wrong with me :-[ but I have an awful time getting it mixed in. Maybe I am too impatient but I tend to get all of it in the first swallow which is anything but refreshing. Maybe, if you were to put it in a lidded jar so you could shake it, it would be better. Anyhow, just a little heads up....

Another thought would be using fresh peppermint leaves in water. My friend used to do this and it definately tasted different from tea and was very refreshing. I think she would just go out and pick a few sprigs and put them in a pitcher of water. She would then put it in the fridge until she used it. I don't think she steeped it at room temp. :-\ Just a thought...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:57:51 PM by beppyjo »

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:03:58 AM »
I've dissolved an altoid in my drinking water before. Inexpensive, portable, and delicious!
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 07:00:43 AM »
I'd get some peppermint essential oil - found in the health food store mostl likely.  It's just pure peppermint.

Use 1-2 drops (no more!) into 8 ounces of water.  I use it for nausea, digestion stuff, etc.  It is heavenly!

This is what I've been using for nausea and heartburn this pregnancy.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 08:27:29 AM »
For the peppermint essential oil, does anyone know if the Aura Caucia brand is decent?

Offline mobsky22

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
So I have been wondering how to make this too.  Did you get it to work? How?