Author Topic: vomiting and diarrea  (Read 2891 times)

Offline evie

• Learning
vomiting and diarrea
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:02:03 AM »
My husband has been throwing up every hour for the past 3 hours. I don't know what the problem is. Does anyone have some advise? Thanks in advance!

Offline aireachail

• Adept
Re: vomiting and diarrea
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
Evie,

Vomiting can be caused by many things. One likely scenario would be that he may have eaten something contaminated and now has "food poisoning". Or perhaps he got a virus somewhere.

Do you have any Tummy Tune-Up? I have no personal experience with this aspect of it, but I've heard that it can shorten a bout of "stomach flu"...

One big thing you have to watch when someone is throwing up repeatedly: dehydration. He will be losing alot of fluid and may not feel like replacing it. Try having him sip on something frequently between bouts of vomiting. Once when I had food poisoning, I inadvertently made it worse by dehydrating myself to the point when the accumulation of my own stomach acid was causing me to be nauseous and vomit again. Once I got some fluid back into my system, I felt SO much better. Gatorade or Powerade (or if you are creative, your own drink containing electrolytes) can really help. You need to get those salts and sugars back into his system. He may also enjoy some tea.

After he starts to feel "settled" again, you can introduce some mild foods like plain crackers, applesauce, or something else that's easy to digest.

HTH...

Offline aireachail

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »
P.S. You may want to look at the "vomiting and diarrhea" thread which is also being discussed right now... I don't know if it's relevant to your husband's situation, but it's worth a shot.

Offline aireachail

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:24:47 PM »
I noticed it on the WellTellMe homepage... just one of the topics listed that had been posted on recently. I don't know if it would be helpful to you, but since it was along the same lines...

I'm glad your husband is doing better! I know how miserable it is to have a stomach bug!