Author Topic: How to Find/Purchase Healthy Raw Milk  (Read 90366 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: How to Find/Purchase Healthy Raw Milk
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2008, 03:45:48 AM »
thanks for all the replies!  i will check about the drying off thing, maybe hormonal changes, maybe when she got extra goats the cooling wasn't fast enough.  i am thinking it is clean, not finding any goat hair, etc. in the milk.  think i will just check with her and see what they think of it, cuz they are using it with their family too.  thanks so much for all of the info!  i am learning a lot here!  i appreciate all your wisdom!   :) :D
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2008, 04:36:14 AM »
Just an explanation...Even if the milk appears clean when you get it you want to make sure that debris did not fall in prior to straining. The debris can be strained out, but the bacteria that came with it is still in there. Machine milking can be almost totally sterile. Hand milking is harder because you can't sterilize the air it is passing through, the whole goat, and enviroment. No reason though for barn dirt to get in the milk at anytime.
Raw milk/foods are always going to have some bacterial level. Normally harmful bacteria will be kept in check and balanced. This is healthy for the immune system. High levels add a burden to the liver and become stressful for the body.

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2008, 07:13:55 AM »
Goats milk is very sensitive to temperature change. If you are not keeping it very cold as you bring it home, then that may be causing part of the 'off' flavor.  Also, the new goats may not be as healthy as her first two. SO that may play a factor in it as well. I never try to keep the milk for a week so, can't give my personal expierince with that. You could freeze some when you get home in quart or pint jars to thaw later in the week. All the milk I give away is frozen because it is hard for someone to come on certain days and it makes for easier transporting. Just thaw it on the counter till slushy, if you wait too long you may get into the 'off' taste because of the extreme temperature change again.
Tennille

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2010, 03:04:41 AM »
Reviving this thread--Governor Doyle has just vetoed raw milk sales in Wisconsin. This is devastating news for farmers just struggling to survive. And disappointing news for those of us who choose to drink raw milk.

Just FYI.... :-\
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2010, 05:08:16 PM »
Don't give up hope too soon! We will be changing governors soon and with all the interest in it I think it will come up for another vote then. :) Besides, after DTCP got through with the bill it was a very poor bill indeed! Not much freedom there, after the huge amount of regulation and power they gave themselves.  :P
My husband and I were at the hearing in Eau Claire for the bill (before it was mangled) and knew many others there who spoke.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2010, 05:11:10 AM »
Yep--a new governor soon for sure! And everybody in the running for the position has said they would support the sales of raw milk. But we know all too well that once in office, the tune changes....

As for us, we still get our raw milk, but I'm not revealing our sources.... ;)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline creyente

• Learning
« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2011, 06:42:04 PM »
I have a source for raw milk that is from cows fed "top alfalfa and fresh grains."
I've never had raw milk before and want to give it a try, but I thought milk was best from grass fed cows. Is this milk worth it and does it still have the Activator X that Sally Fallon describes in Nourishing Traditions?