Author Topic: Cardamom: so much more than a spice?  (Read 13333 times)

Offline Jade

• Adept
Cardamom: so much more than a spice?
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:30:59 PM »
I was reading and stumbled across a line about cardamom that grabbed my attention.

The Chinese use powdered Cardamom sprinkled onto cooked cereal to correct celiac disease (an intolerance for the gluten commonly occurring in children, marked by frequent diarrhea and continual digestive problems).

http://www.viable-herbal.com/singles/Herbs/s823.htm

So I did a little searching, but this was the only other thing I could find on the topic:

Cardamom has been used to treat Celiac disease, the chronic diarrheal condition marked by intestinal malabsorption of virtually all nutrients and precipitated by eating gluten-containing foods (generally involving breads and cereals). The disease mostly affects young children and 60- and 65-year-olds, and Cardamom appears to help the body tolerate the gluten with no ill effects.
http://www.dickcontino.com/cardamon_seed_pods_bad_breath.htm

Cardamom sprinkled on cooked cereal has been reported to help children with celiac disease who are intolerant to the gluten in grain. Data from human studies cannot be found to support these claims.
http://www.home-remedies.info/herbal-medicines/cardamom.htm

It seems too easy and too good to be true, and like the last site stated, no data from human studies is available to be support those claims. But does anyone else know anything else about this? Does cardamom help relieve symptoms from eating gluten?

Also, has anyone else had success using cardamom for anything other than just adding flavor to your food? The sites that I've been looking at have a pretty impressive list of things that cardamom is good for. Too bad it's so expensive!

"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

YoopreMama

Re: Cardamom: so much more than a spice?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:11:49 PM »
Oooh, Jade...good thread!  I'm a Finn, and Finns LOVE cardamom (mostly in their white flour/sugar cinnamon Nisu bread)!  ;D 

I have heard about it's benefits w/ digesting grains and its implications for Celiac Disease.  We use it w/ breakfast cereals.

We get it from our bulk section at our co-op...the pods are there that I could grind, I guess, but I get the powder.  A little goes a long way (of the good quality stuff), but we haven't used it for anything besides eating...curious to see what else people use it for. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »
Cardomom is also good for gallbladder attacks if I remember correctly.  Added to mint(s) tea.  Has a sort of peppery flavor. 

The Green Pharmacy has it listed for treatment of:

asthma, bad breath, emphysema, erectile dysfunction, heartburn, laryngitis, vaginitis, to prevent fainting and as a stimulant.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »
And I just found out it is DELICIOUS in coffee. Just grind a few pods up in your grinder with your coffee beans. It's supposed to be middle eastern. (Hey! that'd really help your gallbladder, right?  ;) ) I know some of the desserts at our local Indian restaurant have it in there and they are delicious. I can't remember, but I think it was the rice milk pudding dessert.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »
And I just found out it is DELICIOUS in coffee. Just grind a few pods up in your grinder with your coffee beans. It's supposed to be middle eastern. (Hey! that'd really help your gallbladder, right?  ;) ) I know some of the desserts at our local Indian restaurant have it in there and they are delicious. I can't remember, but I think it was the rice milk pudding dessert.
Oh yeah,  ;D I think it's one of the principal ingredients in Chai.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 05:47:44 AM »
Has anyone tried using cardamom to whiten their teeth? I keep finding brief mentions of the Egyptians supposedly using it to freshen their breath and whiten their teeth.

Also, several sites mention that a combination of basil, cardamom, and ginger taken regularly act as a preventive against malaria. 
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

YoopreMama

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »
Some interesting claims http://www.ageless.co.za/cardamom.htm:   

Herbal remedies using Cardamom (Elletaria cardamomum)

The use of herbal remedies, including the herb cardamom, classified as Elletaria cardamomum...includ[e] detoxifying the body from caffeine (after excessive coffee drinking), colic, as well as bedwetting.

Cardamom is also known as Elletaria cardamomum, and has certain therapeutic properties and the reported benefits of using it internally, in the form of a herbal tea (infusion) are listed below.

* colic
    * bedwetting
    * freshening the breath after eating garlic
    * kidneys and bladder
    * detoxifies caffeine
    * fighting infections
    * anorexia
    * asthma
    * digestion
    * antispasmodic

and some basics:

http://www.organicfacts.net/nutrition-facts/herbs-and-spices/nutritional-value-of-cardamom-and-clove.html

Nutritional Value of Cardamom
Cardamom is blackish brown or green colored seedpod used in various food items depending upon its color, flavor and aromatic fragrance. It is used to make medicinal drinks and powders.

Nutrition Facts and Information about Cardamom: Cardamom is rich in calcium, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium. Good amount of iron, sodium and manganese is present in it. Small amount of zinc and copper is found in it.

Vitamin Content of Cardamom: Cardamom has good amount of Vitamin C. It has small amount of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and Vitamin B6.

Calorie Content of Cardamom: 100g of Cardamom has 311 calories. Calories from fat are 56.

Health Benefits of Cardamom: Cardamom is used to treat teeth and gum infections, digestive disorders, dysentery, constipation, congestion of lungs and throat problems. It is also used as an antidote for snake and scorpion venom bite.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 03:17:07 PM by Yooper »

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 06:56:08 PM »
Mountain Rose Herbs says this about cardamom on their website:

Cardamom Profile
Also known as- Elettaria cardamomum, Amomum cardamomum, Bai Dou Kou, Cardamon, Cardomomi Fructus, Ela.

Introduction
The sweetly aromatic cardamom is the fruit of a tropical plant related to ginger, and one of the worldÍs most expensive spices, after saffron and vanilla. Growing cardamom is extremely labor intensive. The tall plants, grown on plantations in Guatemala or India, flower for eight or nine months of the year. Each pod, or capsule, ripens slowly, but must be plucked when it is three-quarters ripe.
After harvest, the pods are washed and dried. The method of drying dictates the final color. White indicates the pods have been dried for many days in the sun leaving them bleached. Green pods have been dried for one day and night in a heated room. It is the three seeds inside each pod, however, that are considered the spice.
Cardamom is essential to the cuisines of the Middle East and Scandinavia. Cardamom coffee or gahwa is a symbol of Arab hospitality. Cardamom flavors ground meat in Norway and baked goods in Sweden. Cooks all over the world combine cardamom with cloves and cinnamon. Cardamom lends its distinctive flavor to chai.
You can find cardamom in the market in several forms. You can purchase whole pods and remove the seeds as needed. This form of the herb retains its aroma and flavor longest.
You can also buy cardamom seeds (decorticated cardamom) or cardamom powder, but they do not keep as long as the pods.

Constituents
The essential oil contains a-terpineol (45%), myrcene (27%), limonene (8%), menthone (6%), b-phellandrene (3%), 1,8-cineol (2%), sabinene (2%), and smaller amounts of heptane.

Parts Used
The seed, removed from the pod, and ground.

Typical Preparations
Usually in cooking, but also in teas, tinctures, and infusions.

Summary
The primary medicinal use of cardamom is as a carminative, to prevent flatulence. Preliminary findings from laboratory research suggest that regular use of cardamom might help prevent colon cancer, and in the Ayurvedic formula Unmadnashak Ghrita, cardamom, along with brahmi, gardenia, asafetida, and ghee, may be a mild sedative.

Precautions
None.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/cardamom.php

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:39:39 PM »
I put cardamom into my homemade apple pie today and it made it SO NUMMY!  What a nice spice to add!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 06:25:32 PM »
I checked at the grocery store, and they were selling caramom pods for about $9.50 for just under an ounce.  :o I realize that you probably don't need a lot, but that still seemed like a lot of money to spend on ONE little spice bottle...

So I checked Mountain Rose Herbs, and they are selling a POUND of cardamom pods for $15! Even with shipping, it's an incredible savings. Of course, from what I've read, they only keep for about a year, so I'd have to find an awful lot of ways to use cardamom...

Anyway. Just thought I'd share.  :)

Offline mdessy

• Adept
  • Wife Mom Sister Friend UU Nutrition Educator
    • Grains&More
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:09:50 AM »
So I checked Mountain Rose Herbs, and they are selling a POUND of cardamom pods for $15! Even with shipping, it's an incredible savings. Of course, from what I've read, they only keep for about a year, so I'd have to find an awful lot of ways to use cardamom...

That is a great price! 

Share with friends, cardomom in rice pudding (very yummy), homemade chai, cardomom cookies, mulled cider, yeast breads, there's a lentil soup from Morocco that has cardomom in it, if you like curry you can use it, actually a lot of Indian foods use it. 

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:50 AM »
I am going to make a meal that calls for Pods of Cardamom..... Does anyone know where I can find them within the next couple days? I wasn't sure if an Asian food market would have them or not.
Thanks!
my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 05:01:49 AM »
Our co-op sells them in the bulk section of herbs and spices.  Not sure about an Asian market, although, we have a local World Foods store and I bet they have them, now as I think about it.  Could always call places and ask.   ;D

Do you have a Tesco? 

I'm now reading that any Asian store should have them...

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 07:54:57 AM »
I buy my pods at a World Market. I know that Giant Eagle sells them. WM only has ground.
I do so LOVE cardamom!  I could put it in just about anything!

Offline c_symphony

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »
I know some of the desserts at our local Indian restaurant have it in there and they are delicious. I can't remember, but I think it was the rice milk pudding dessert.

I know Cardamom is a happy ingredient in Kheer, which is a rice pudding-like desert.  It is a favorite at my house and I try to make extra so there are leftovers . . . it is also really yummy as breakfast.  :)