Author Topic: Energy Drinks  (Read 5309 times)

Offline naewood

• Adept
    • Sunset Acres Rat Terriers
Energy Drinks
« on: September 07, 2006, 04:21:56 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had done any research on the energy drinks you see in every store now days.  I have tried a few and find them to be useful in getting an energy pick up.  But I know they are loaded with sugar and caffeine.  My husband works a night shift from 3pm to 3am.  He is in a physically demanding job and so he has come to depend on these drinks to give him a boost in the night and get him through his shift.  He has been having bad headaches lately and I wonder if these drinks are the cause.  Anyone with any knowledge or research out there?  I would love to hear from you.

Also, any tips on a good diet that I can provide for him that would boost his energy?  He has his lunch at 9pm at night and another break at 12am.  I would like to find something that would give him a pick me up and not have to depend on these drinks.  They have them in a soda machine at his work now!   :(

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
Re: Energy Drinks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 04:33:01 PM »
Have him try Kombucha!  It is great and a real pick-me-upper!  Read Gabe's info about it Kombucha! Recipes, Tips & Tricks   Hope you find a good solution quick!
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 04:35:21 PM »
I can't seem to make the link work.  But if you type the name of the thread in the search box it should bring it up for you to read about it.  Sorry  :-[
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 04:36:36 PM »
I switched my hubby from energy drinks to kombucha.  He only cheats once in awhile.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 04:37:26 PM »
I can't seem to make the link work.  But if you type the name of the thread in the search box it should bring it up for you to read about it.  Sorry  :-[

You mean this one?  Kombucha.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 04:39:26 PM »
:D YOU'RE MY HERO!!!  :D
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline naewood

• Adept
    • Sunset Acres Rat Terriers
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 05:44:57 AM »
Thanks for the info and links.  I have one other question.  My husband used to have trouble with alcohol (meaning he drank to excess)!  Do you think this drink would be a temptation?  Is it strong enough to catch a buzz?  Would I need to monitor how much he consumes?  I would hate to put a temptation in front of him like a stumbling block! 

I do remember my lil sis making this years ago.  It looked well uhhh YUCK!!  I might try it after our hunting trip.  Would be neat to watch it grow if only for a homeschool project.  :)

Thanks again

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:21:23 AM »
Thanks for the info and links.  I have one other question.  My husband used to have trouble with alcohol (meaning he drank to excess)!  Do you think this drink would be a temptation?  Is it strong enough to catch a buzz?  Would I need to monitor how much he consumes?  I would hate to put a temptation in front of him like a stumbling block! 

It doesn't even resemble alcohol in my opinion.  It tastes like carbonated apple juice and the batches that don't quite turn out taste a little bit like vinegar. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 06:09:56 PM »
This energy drink has been banned in Colorado.  I've never heard of it, but I live in the East.  I think that these drinks are causing some pretty serious problems for some of my husband's co-workers.  Caffeine is defititely a legal drug IMO.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Feb23/0,4670,EnergyDrinkWarning,00.html

In a related note, Pepsi (and it's products) will be clearly labeling how many milligrams of caffeine are in a serving.  It's going to be misleading for a while, and confusing, but I think it's a step in the right direction as far as truth in labeling.

The Chairman said there is 25 mg of caffeine in 8 oz. But my water comes in a 20 oz. bottle, so if that's the case then folks are going to have to do some math (a bottle would be considered 2 1/2 servings, not one...) and also know how many milligrams they should consume a day (not likely to be common knowledge to most folks).

The chairman said he thinks it is ludicrous to post as no one really cares, and coffee has 5 times that much caffeine but is unlabeled.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:47:58 AM by healthybratt »
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline joeswife

• Adept
    • Jumping on the bed.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 06:25:31 AM »
My hubby goes into work at 3am. We have found that he needs a lot of protien to get the energy he needs. He likes to have snacks to keep him going. I am not always so good at providing this for him, but when I am it makes a big difference.

Also, he has never gone for the energy drinks, but he did get to the point of drinking 3-4 cups of cofee. He was getting acid reflux and nasty headaches. When he quit they stopped (after the initial withdrawls, of course). Anyway, we have not found an exact replacement...but at least tea is a lesser evil (green tea even has some health benefits).We are going to try kombucha soon.

I am not sure if all my rambling is helpful. Anyway, try some high protien snacks...hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, jerkey etc.....

Cammie

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 06:49:49 AM »
About a half-dozen students became sick in the last two weeks and two were hospitalized after drinking Spike Shooter, made by Biotest Laboratories LLC. All recovered within hours, said Dennis Vigil, assistant principal at Doherty High School in Colorado Springs....The drink contains roughly the same amount of caffeine as two to three five-ounce cups of coffee.

These symptoms seem a bit extreme to me for 3 cups of coffee's worth of caffeine.  Me thinks there might be something other than caffeine in this drink.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 07:07:16 AM »
What would happen if you drank that much caffeine that fast?  I've heard that a cup (8 oz.) of coffee has 125 mg. of caffeine, so in this energy drink they've consumed about 250 mg of caffeint in a short amount of time.  Could that do it?  Or the combo of that much caffeine with ginseng and taurine?  I think those are the most prominent 2 energy booster additives.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 11:19:20 AM »
What would happen if you drank that much caffeine that fast?  I've heard that a cup (8 oz.) of coffee has 125 mg. of caffeine, so in this energy drink they've consumed about 250 mg of caffeint in a short amount of time.  Could that do it?  Or the combo of that much caffeine with ginseng and taurine?  I think those are the most prominent 2 energy booster additives.
I dunno, I can drink 15 oz of coffee in a few minutes.  No biggie.  I suppose this might give a kid a jolt, but put them in the hospital???
  My favorite herb book!!