Author Topic: What do you know about Diflucan?  (Read 7694 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
What do you know about Diflucan?
« on: December 12, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
I suggested Nystatin to my doctor for the treatment of yeast and fungal overgrowth in my daughter, and he said he preferred Diflucan. I am trying to find a pharmacy that carries sugar-free Nystatin, but if not he suggested this drug.
Has anyone heard of anyone taking it?  Does it work the same as Nystatin? 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: What do you know about Diflucan?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
I suggested Nystatin to my doctor for the treatment of yeast and fungal overgrowth in my daughter, and he said he preferred Diflucan. I am trying to find a pharmacy that carries sugar-free Nystatin, but if not he suggested this drug.
Has anyone heard of anyone taking it?  Does it work the same as Nystatin? 

I can't give you the full take on this right now - but I would not use it.  I'll have to give you the rest later.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 09:46:22 AM »
I heard of it for the first time today.  My SIL has a yeast infection; As far as I know, Diflucan is a one dose pill to clear up a yeast inf.  My MIL said, "Its awesome."  (Warning! She is totally into whatever a doctor tells you!)

Personally, I would be very wary of using it as I would wonder what side effects it would have.  Seems to me that it is too good to be true...I'm waiting for more of the story from patti...
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 09:49:22 AM »
I heard of it for the first time today. 

Wow, that is an odd coincidence! lol  The doctor told me that you have to have a liver test done afterward, and that had me a little worried.  :-\  I am really having a hard time finding sugar-free Nystatin.

Yeah, waiting Patti..... ;)

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
This drug shut down my liver. But in some fairness, I had a yeast infection for 6 months and the doctor's could not get rid it. So he had me taking one pill daily. It really hurt me. Remember the theory of it kills everything good and bad.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:13:16 AM »
This drug shut down my liver. But in some fairness, I had a yeast infection for 6 months and the doctor's could not get rid it. So he had me taking one pill daily. It really hurt me. Remember the theory of it kills everything good and bad.

Oh no!!! I was to take 2 diflucan per day for 2 weeks. I went down to 1 per day because I was afraid what it would do to my liver.  I just wen off of it on Monday. I am glad to be done with it now, and I am taking a nice amount of probioitcs.

Should I have my liver checked by the doctor now?????

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 10:37:41 AM »
Diflucan contains fluoride. Since I filter our water and avoid fluoride as much as possible, I wouldn't take it.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »
http://www.medicinenet.com/fluconazole-oral/article.htm
Basically the same info on this site as would be on the inside leaflet.

Nystatin shows fewer side effects...
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682758.html

I found this to be interesting...
http://ezinearticles.com/?Nystatin-and-Diflucan---The-Myth-Exposed&id=779860

diflucan vs. Nystatin,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9462438

I have not used either internally only Nystatin externally so research is all I have to offer.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »
I heard of it for the first time today. 

Wow, that is an odd coincidence! lol  The doctor told me that you have to have a liver test done afterward, and that had me a little worried.  :-\  I am really having a hard time finding sugar-free Nystatin.

Yeah, waiting Patti..... ;)

HIO,

Okay - real quick.  I have taken Diflucan previously for yeast infections.  My experience has been the stuff just flat out doesn't work.  I had just a standard run of the mill yeast infection (not long term) and I'd take this stuff and it wouldn't go away no matter what.  I talked to my sister (a nurse married to a doctor) and she said that about half the time Diflucan doesn't work (they lean natural).  So, besides the liver stuff (which is serious), I wouldn't touch this stuff again.  It was worthless.

I haven't read this thread so I'm not sure why you're looking for nystatin without sugar.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  I've had 3 in my house on this stuff and it works great for clearing out yeast.  But maybe your issue is something else.  I just didn't worry about the sugar because I think the effects of the nystatin itself are pretty hardy.

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 12:10:01 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  Definitely NOT getting this for my daughter. lol These stories scare me!!!  >:(

The doctor told me he would prescribe Diflucan and I said:  "No, I want Nystatin" and he said that he normally doesn't prescribe it because it doesn't work. I asked him if he ever used the sugar free kind, and he didn't know they had that option, so stated maybe that is why Nystatin didn't work?(for his clients)
He is real open to whatever I need, so telling him what I want isn't a problem.  Some people claim the sugared Nystatin works and others claim it doesn't. Hmmm....decisions, decisions. :-\