Author Topic: Cool Whip Clone  (Read 10683 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Cool Whip Clone
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:40:57 PM »
I stumbled across this and have no idea if it works.  If you try it before I do, let us know.

Whipped Topping 

1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon water
1/3 cup boiling water
1 cup water
1 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Pour the cup of water into a large metal bowl and put into the freezer. Next place the unflavored gelatin into a small cereal bowl. Add one tablespoon of water and let is soften. Add the boiling water to the gelatin mixture. Stir it with a fork for several minutes, to dissolve the gelatin completely. Let it sit and cool down some. Meanwhile measure the oil, vanilla and lemon juice all into a small container. Set it aside. Also measure the sugar and set aside. When the water in the freezer has ice crystals forming on it, take it out and place it on the counter. Pour in a full cup of dry milk powder. Using electric beaters, whip the mixture at high speed until it forms stiff peaks. This will take a full five minutes. Continue beating, and gradually add the sugar. When it is fully incorporated, gradually add the cooled gelatin mixture. When this is fully incorporated, gradually add the oil, vanilla, lemon juice mixture, in a small stream. The texture of the topping will change a little bit, becoming bright white and creamier. This is normal. Now place the bowl into the freezer again for about 10 or 15 minutes. It will chill and thicken. Stir it with a wire whisk right before serving. You may serve it right away, or keep it in the fridge for a few days. Be sure to stir it before serving, because it tends to thicken up while it sits. Stirring it will make it creamy again. It doesn't taste the same as the non-dairy whipped toppings you find at the supermarket. It actually tastes much better. The dry milk powder gives it a dairy flavor which, is much more satisfying than the chemical fluff available in the freezer at the market. It is economical to make compared to purchasing ready made. Serve it anywhere you would regular whipped topping, and even use it in fancy pudding or gelatin creations. It holds up nicely. Great as a topping for Cream Pies. If you are trying to cut down on cholesterol, this recipe will work as well as real whipping cream on most deserts. Top of Page
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Re: Cool Whip Clone
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 04:00:33 AM »
Thanks!  I can't wait to try this....just need to get some powdered milk.  Dh loves Cool Whip, but we never get it anymore because he can't hack the junk in it (yes...he is almost as much health freak as me), so he will be thrilled if this works out!
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:08:41 AM »
Here are some more if that one doesn't work...
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3627.0.html
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5368.msg56226.html#msg56226

Hope they work, I've never tried any of them.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:31:45 AM »
Here are some more if that one doesn't work...
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3627.0.html
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5368.msg56226.html#msg56226

Hope they work, I've never tried any of them.
WR
The only reason I didn't post my recipe there is because both of those have real cream in them.  I think these would be best, but if someone doesn't have access to good raw cream, then the cool whip clone might be a reasonable facsimile.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »
Stabilized Whipped Cream...a huge hit here over Thanksgiving.
1/4 c water. Sprinkle 1 tsp gelatin over it let it dissolve. Microwave to melt and then cool slightly. Must be liquid but not warm. Pour 1 c. heavy cream, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla in bowl and beat just until beater marks begin to show distinctly. Add gelatin pouring in steady stream while beating. Beat until stiff peaks form.
This was in the fridge through the next day when they were licking the bowl and claiming it was the best whipped cream they had ever had.

Offline Ruesae

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »
These look great! I can't wait to try one. My Husband and I can't stand using CW anymore since it makes us sick after not using chemical foods for so long but we love some sort of whipped topping on various desserts. Right now I just use heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar for our whipped topping but it does start to turn liquid-y after a few days.  :P However, in a pinch, and for quick whipped topping that is yummy I use 1/2 - 1 cup heavy whipping cream to 1 tblspn of powdered sugar - depending on how sweet I want it to be. I've found that powdered sugar works (and tastes in my opinion) a lot better than granulated sugar b/c it dissolves faster.

Offline merrymaiden

• Learning
    • Windfallings of Grace
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »
Just made some -- it's amazing! :D Creamy, light, and absolutely delicious. Ate it with some homemade Jello (fruit juice and gelatin). However, it is extremely thick, so I think 2 tsp. gelatin would be a more appropriate amount. It made a huge batch (2 quarts, maybe?) so I am going to try freezing some. Yay for chemical-free Cool Whip! ;D
Glad in the LORD,

Miss Naomi ~ II Corinthians 3:5 & 9:8
Windfallings of Grace

Offline merrymaiden

• Learning
    • Windfallings of Grace
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:54:52 AM »
Hmm. ??? Well, it was fine until I stirred it. Now it's a goopy, frosting-like mess. :( I'm thinking that extra 10-15 minutes in the freezer (which I didn't follow) had something to do with it. Or it might have been over-stirring that ruined it. I continued to whip it quite a while after adding the gelatin and oil mixtures. I'll be sure to follow the instructions precisely next time. :) It still tastes great, but you can't exactly call it whipped topping. Jello ice cream, anyone? ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:17:46 PM by merrymaiden »
Glad in the LORD,

Miss Naomi ~ II Corinthians 3:5 & 9:8
Windfallings of Grace

Offline mattcan

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
This would be great if only I could find a good substitute for the milk powder (can't have milk). I'm not sure what a good sub. for milk powder would be, though, texture-wise.
May we all find answers to our health questions, and reach the best level of health we're capable of.

Offline CottageMama

• Learning
  • Mama of 4 littles
    • Homemaker's Cottage
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 09:05:48 AM »
We can't do milk either.  I've found a powdered milk substitute called "Dari Free", it works just the same as normal powdered milk.  I use it in cocoa mixes, cooking, etc. 

Dari Free is gluten free, as well. 

I ordered mine from AzureStandard. com; you might could find it at a health store or whole foods market.

Cottage Mama

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »
I had a recipe for cool whip that has boiling water, egg whites and sugar,ect. It does work. Just gotta use it pretty quick.

Here is a similar one...
Quote from
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090512214604AAQ7c3t

Vanilla Topping

2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. corn syrup

All that you do is beat the egg whites and vanilla until frothy and gradually add the corn syrup and continue beating until stiff peaks form. It is very much like coolwhip, only natural..not whipped grease!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:08:54 AM by herbs girl »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:17:06 AM »
Cool Whip

2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg white
1/4 cup boiling water

Put all ingredients in mixer in order given except water. Beat. Add water all at once. Beat 5 minutes until stiff. I recipe equals 8 oz cool whip.

Can be frozen, I recomend adding 1 Tablespoon Gelatin/1 Tablespoon water dissolved after mixing, if you are not going to use it immedietly.