Author Topic: The Importance of blowing your nose!  (Read 35258 times)

Offline pleasantlines

• Wide Eyed
The Importance of blowing your nose!
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:36:49 AM »
My 7 year old daughter awoke with lwhat seemed to be Laryngitis this morning.  She could not make an audible sound. I had to decide my first move since we haven't  experienced this before in our home.  So, the 1st thing I always have my children to do with coughing, wheezing and even vomiting, is to blow their nose 6x. :)  (An eye surgeon told me to do this to keep my new tear duct clear from congestion after surgery.  If he would have suggested that before the surgery, I probably would not have had to have the dreaded procedure! :'() I helped my DD blow her nose 6x and she coughed.  We blew her nose 3 more times and in her sweet, clear voice she shouted, "Mama!"  We laughed because it was so amazing.  She was healed!!!! :D  So get out there and blow your nose!
Ps 16:6 The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.
(KJV)

Offline pleasantlines

• Wide Eyed
Re: The Importance of blowing your nose!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 03:40:33 AM »
Along the same lines, the pucker action of blowing a toy whistle creates a vacuum effect that is said to expel allergens from the lungs.  Neat! ;)
Ps 16:6 The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.
(KJV)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 04:11:05 AM »
Cool.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 04:32:46 AM »
My 9th grade physical science teacher had a whole week's worth of lessons on the importance of blowing your nose.  I'll never forget.  Mrs. Perry. 

She said that the mucous is supposed to drain out of the body, down the nose and get blowed out.  She had lesson after lesson on what happens when the lymph system doesn't drain properly. 

Also, she said when it goes down the back of your throat it's bad, too.  She said people must always sleep on their left side with their head facing slightly toward the mattress so that their heart doesn't have to work as hard and their lymph can drain properly. 

She said that sinus infections are caused when snot sits in your sinus cavities and it makes total sense to me.  Your body produces mucous as a natural defense to get foreign pathogens out.  The rest of your body doesn't have to work as hard if you go ahead and get it out.  Eyelashes, earwax, nose hairs and snot (as well as sneezing) are your body's first defense against illness. 

And don't forget, the more you blow your nose the more you need to drink water to stay hydrated.  Additionally, drinking water keeps mucous thin.  Anyway, we blow our noses A LOT around here.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 04:36:42 AM »
I have to laugh at this, I'm a big nose blower.  :D  The rest of my family not so much.  Although, I 'm the only one to get the rudolph red nose when I have a cold!

My husband always jokes cause I was one of those kids in school who would go up in front of the class to get a tissue and blow! ;D

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 06:41:53 AM »
All this DOES make sense but it goes contrary to what I have heard and read most of my life. Blowing (especially HARD) damages the delicate sinus tissue which could lead to sinus infections and other problems. I've been told to only wipe the drippies and if your nose is stuffy to use saline spray until it looses and starts dripping. All  I know is that my bro and dad are BIG nose blowers and they both ALWAYS have sinus problems and other congestion problems. The few times I have blown my nose hard I ended up with a sinus infection.
  If the stuff going down the back of the throat is bad what do the kiddies do that haven't learned to blow and their noses are draining at night and they are just swallowing it all?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:06:37 AM »
My family is all big on nose blowing, too!  When teaching the littles how to blow, we always say, "Blow big, like Aunt Barbara!"  (she has the best sound effects when blowing!)  We also teach the children to keep their mouth slightly open when blowing to keep from building pressure in their ears.  They have all been pretty good nose blowers before their second birthdays.

Neat that you were taught all of that in school, shabby.  I didn't learn any of that until we began going to natural doctors in our late 20's. 

Along with blowing, Man and I also wash our sinuses during sickness or allergy times by using a neti pot or just snorting some water and hanging head far forward to let the water spread.  Taking the MasterTonic helps clear sinuses, too.  The horseradish and cayenne in it are wonderful for loosening sinus congestion. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 07:11:14 AM »
"Blow from the Toes!"

Great for little kids to get the idea of big blowing.

We're currently in blow mode at our house.  Shoulda bought stock in the kleenex company . . .

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 07:13:20 AM »
Landyhen: is the Master Tonic something you made up  yourself, or is it available to order somewhere? My husband was just telling me to find him something w/horseradish in it to clear his sinuses. ;)

Taking the MasterTonic helps clear sinuses, too.  The horseradish and cayenne in it are wonderful for loosening sinus congestion. 

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »
ok so i get it you crazy nose blowers....so come to think of it i also heard that constant sniffing can also be damaging (as i listen to my son sniffing non stop)i call it snuffing real hard!! drives me crazy!! i know people who snuff real hard and then hawk up what collects in their throats and spit it out!! :-X UGHHH makes me sick...ok i think i just made myself sick.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 07:32:03 AM »
Landyhen: is the Master Tonic something you made up  yourself, or is it available to order somewhere? My husband was just telling me to find him something w/horseradish in it to clear his sinuses. ;)

Taking the MasterTonic helps clear sinuses, too.  The horseradish and cayenne in it are wonderful for loosening sinus congestion. 

Supertonic is a Dr. Schultze product but it's easy to make yourself.  If you google "supertonic" you will come up with the recipe.  It may even be on wtm somewhere.  I started making it recently and my kids take it when they have a coughing fit (they have pertussis) and it knocks it out. 
BUT, I think I would just try another thing on your husband first, it's much easier.  I just put cayenne on a spoon, as much as you can tolerate.  Cover that with honey and sprinkle it with lemon juice.  Your sinuses start clearing REALLY fast and you start to feel better.  I even think it tastes pretty good.  I try to hold it on my tongue as long as possible to give my stomach some warning.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 07:33:20 AM »

This is GREAT stuff; keeps everyone in our household well and healthy while those around us have colds and flu.    Yes, I make my own using Dr. Schulze's recipe here;
       http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,223.msg16224.html#msg16224

Melie's suggestion with the cayenne is good.  My Man uses horseradish by the spoonful if he has congestion.  Horseradish targets the sinuses. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:35:05 AM by ladyhen »
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 07:36:07 AM »
:-X UGHHH makes me sick...ok i think i just made myself sick.

That is such a Mom thing!   I get sick if I think about some of the things I am doing, too. 

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 07:38:23 AM »
:-X UGHHH makes me sick...ok i think i just made myself sick.

That is such a Mom thing!   I get sick if I think about some of the things I am doing, too. 

specially a pregnant mom thing!! bleh

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »

This is GREAT stuff; keeps everyone in our household well and healthy while those around us have colds and flu.    Yes, I make my own using Dr. Schulze's recipe here;

Melie's suggestion with the cayenne is good.  My Man uses horseradish by the spoonful if he has congestion.  Horseradish targets the sinuses. 

Thank you ladies! That sounds hard core...I'm sure my man would drink it..but not me :o Can I ask another dumb question, where do you get horseradish? Is it like fresh ginger root that you can buy at the store?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »

Thank you ladies! That sounds hard core...I'm sure my man would drink it..but not me :o Can I ask another dumb question, where do you get horseradish? Is it like fresh ginger root that you can buy at the store?

I find it in the refrigerated case at the grocery store.  I use plain, grated horseradish that comes in jars.  It is available fresh seasonally in the produce section. 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »
Okay, I am alive to blow this theory away! lol (pun intended).  I don't blow my nose.  Hardly ever!  I think the only time I blow my nose is when I have a cold, and that is rare.  I just think I don't have a whole lot of mucous in there. I have never been a nose blower at all.  In fact, my children aren't either.  My husband blows his nose the most in the family(because of dust particles, etc. from work) and he gets more colds and sore throats than anyone else in the family.  Weird!  ;)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »
I don't think it's the intensity with which you blow your nose, but how often.  Blowing too hard is probably as harmful as straining to have a bowel movement and just as unideal. 

But it stands to reason that your lymph system's job is to flush out bacteria, infections, foreign pathogens and snot is one way of their exiting.  I don't think you want snot sitting in your body any more than you want any other type of waste sitting in your body.  Likewise, suppressing it has to be as unhealthy as suppressing any other way that your body rids itself of wastes (not sweating, not breaking wind, "holding it" when you have to go).

There is no doubt in my mind that some people make more snot than others, and they probably need to blow more often.  And they may have reasons that their body is working overtime to produce more snot.  Like that could be their body's first defense on germ fighting, whereas other people might sweat more.  I blow my nose all day long and I hardly sweat at all.  But I have a sensitive nose and I sneeze and get runny very easily.  Smoke, fragrances, hair, pollen, mold, dust... anything makes my nose go into hyper drive.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »
Ok, so what do you do if you really would like to blow your nose, but the nasal passages are ridiculously swollen??  Red, puffy, almost protruding.

A little friend of ours is dealing with asthma and a sinus infection with a lot of swollen nasal tissues.  He is trying to use the nasal irrigator but either the water won't go in or it won't come out (in one nostril and out the other is the intended action).

Suggestions, please!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 03:51:58 AM »
Anti-inflammatories taken internally... Tumeric, Vitamin E, and Rabbit Tobacco are my favorites. In my experience, Rabbit Tobacco works the fastest for sinuses, plus it's antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal. Oh, and it has traditionally been used for Asthma.

WR
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:59:14 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »
Is rabbit tobacco a decongestant or an antihistamine, or something different?  I would not want to suggest something that dries and hardens secretions (like OTC antihistamines) especially for a child who has been on conventional asthma meds for so long (since infancy).  I have a suspicion that his lungs have a lot of old gunky stuff in there.  Does RT merely treat the symptom of congestion, stuffiness and swollen passages, or does it actually heal the sinuses?

I don't remember seeing the classificantion in the RT thread...

Any more suggestions for swollen nasal passages?

My mom reminded me that saline gel can be helpful for moisturizing and shrinking tissues.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
My understanding of Rabbit Tobacco (I'm not a pro herbalist or doctor :) ) is that it is a decongestant. That's what I have read on more than one herbal remedies / traditional herbal med. web site. It is also listed as an astringent (this *can* be drying, though, right?) expectorant and used for respiratory catarrh (those are the things I thought would be pertinent here). It has been traditionally used to treat both Asthma and infections.

I can say that when I used it, when I was ill recently, it opened my airways but I still had a runny nose sometimes. So I felt like it shrank the tissues and thinned the mucus so it was much easier for me to get it out.

The only warning I've seen regarding it, is that if you are allergic to members of the daisy family, then you might react to Rabbit Tobacco.

HTH,
WR
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:00:35 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
I can say that when I used it, when I was ill recently, it opened my airways but I still had a runny nose sometimes. So I felt like it shrank the tissues and thinned the mucus so it was much easier for me to get it out.

I have used this herb twice, and had the same experience.  It clears the sinuses, but my nose still ran clear a few times a day...my thought was that it was regulating my immune/mucosal response to the virus, but not drying out the tissues completely so they could still function properly.  It's also anti-viral, so I feel that it knocked out the virus in addition to regulating and supporting my immune response to it.  

This is a powerful herb.  I was *completely* back to normal within 48 hours of feeling 'sick'...and I only drank the tea in very small amounts a few times.  I found that I would feel normal most of the time, and when I'd start feeling 'sinus-y', I'd just take a few more sips of tea.
When I used a tea, I drank only about 2 oz. and RT was only 1/4 of the tea blend.  About an hour later, when I was away from home, my throat was very dry and I was really thirsty.

I think the humidifier would be a much better option for using for a child.  It's much more dilluted, and provides a steady stream of moist heat with the healing action of the herb consistantly for hours.  

My toddler woke up with a green runny nose this week, and was pointing at both her ears ("hurt"), and after using 1/2 c. of brewed tea dilluted in the humidifier during her two naps, she was fine.  No more green drainage, and no more 'hurt'.  I did continue treatment another 48 hours, running the humidifier when she'd take naps and overnight, just to make sure she was comfortable and fully over it.  

If I were making a tea for a little one, I'd use only a very small amount of RT, and blend it with chammomile, elderflower, yarrow and peppermint to make it taste good.  I'd also use it in small amounts at first to make sure it wasn't too drying.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:34:50 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 04:10:15 PM »
Thanks, WR and gwen!  I am going to see if I can find any RT and try it out this weekend.