Author Topic: How long will Mama's Red Raspberry Brew last?  (Read 4948 times)

Offline ThreeLittlePigs

• Learning
How long will Mama's Red Raspberry Brew last?
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:57:40 AM »
I am very interested in buying Mama's Red Raspberry Brew from BHS.  Just wondering, for those of you who buy the brew, can you tell me how long 1lb. of brew lasts in your household?  I am a tea drinker, would like for our whole family to start drinking for better health. 
I understand that I can make my own brew by buying the 4 ingredients and mix it up myself (8 parts of Raspberry, 3 parts of Alfa, 3 parts of Peppermint and 2 parts of Nettle).  Which is cheaper and which will last more?

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
Re: How long will Mama's Red Raspberry Brew last?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 08:29:58 AM »
Hmmm...I can't tell you how long 1# of MRRB lasts me; I've not really paid attention.  You can make your own brew, but you will need to buy probably 2# Red Rasp. 1# Alfalfa, 1# Peppermint and 1/2# Nettle, for one batch without too much leftover herbage.  That will make you a LOT of brew!  If you only get 1/2# of the Red Rasp. and 1/4# each of Alfalfa, peppermint and nettle (to make approximately 1# of tea), it probably wont be very cost effective, as the smaller weights are more per pound (kwim?).  You'll have to check that out for yourself.

Also, while I regularly drink MRRB, as I am pg, I doubt my family would enjoy it on a regular basis; it is not an overly tasty tea (adding a touch of honey and a hunk of fresh ginger helps with the flavor, though!)

So, all that to say that unless you are making a BIG batch and will be able to share it with someone that will faithfully use it, it may be better to start off with just purchasing a pound from the BHS. 

I myself have an 'Herb Nook' which is full of loose leaf herbs.  I use them for many different things, so I myself make my own MRRB; I've also given it away to friends and family that are PG - in this, it was cost effective for me to make my own.  If I did not have the herbs on hand as well as other uses for the herbs, I would just buy the premixed tea.

Did that help or just confuse you?  :D
Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline ThreeLittlePigs

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 09:29:42 AM »
Thank you, esposita!  Humm, where is HB, Gigi and SC?  I know you guys drink a lots of Raspberry tea (I read a lot of threads about this!)  What can you ladies tell me about how long your brew last?  Do you just buy brew from BHS or do you make your own? 

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
I drink it everyday year around but none of the rest of my family does.  I make my own because I have access to RRL & nettle so I just order alfalfa and some mint. 

It's not a really yummy tea.  It just tastes green and herby to me.  But the benefit has been great for me so I make it a habit. 

When I started drinking RRL tea, I bought pre-mixed Mama's RRL Brew from BHS to see if I really thought I would use it and would like it & the results.  After I got a whole bag down and was convinced it was a good thing, then I investigated mixing it myself.   If you do that route you woudl get an idea about home much you use in your particular case and how fast you go through it. 

I've been stung a few times by buying a bunch of stuff I "knew I would use no matter what" and then just ended up letting it spoil cuz it was not our thing.

my 2 cents-
Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 09:59:22 AM »
Our whole family drinks it like iced tea everyday.  Now, we do go through times of not drinking any at all...so lets say about 2 gal of tea a week?

I use a heaping T and a half to 8 cups boiling water and let it brew a couple of hours (makes it really strong).  Then I strain that and make 1 gal from it by just adding water.

I have had my 1 lb of tea (pre-mixed MRRB) last about 6 months or more...depending how long our breaks are (the family gets tired of the same thing, so I switch to another tea, or juice, or just water for a while).

I hope that helps...I am going through more right now because I am pg too, but still am on the lb I ordered 6 m ago!

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »
I would say I drink tea regularly.  Some days I don't drink any; some days I drink three to five cups. (I drink more in the winter than in the summer).   The taste of MRRB is great, I think!  My boys love to drink it from my cup.

How long it lasts?  Well, I ordered the individual herbs from BHS in 11/04 and still have more to make up.  I mix it in a one gallon jar and keep it on hand to fill my smaller container that  I use daily.  I'm not sure how long the herbs are "good", but like I said, I think it tastes great!!  (Oh, we moved during that time and I didn't use MRRB for about a year probably, so saying that 2# of Rasp. leaf and all the rest would last 4 years is not accurate, I'm sure.)

HTH, Monica
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot

Offline ThreeLittlePigs

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:51:16 PM »
Any other MRRB tea drinker here?  Thanks for the info, I think I will order 1/2lb brew first to see how we like it first. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:36:19 AM »
Thank you, esposita!  Humm, where is HB, Gigi and SC?  I know you guys drink a lots of Raspberry tea (I read a lot of threads about this!)  What can you ladies tell me about how long your brew last?  Do you just buy brew from BHS or do you make your own? 
Sorry, took so long to get back to you.

I don't buy any premixes.  I go through about 2 lbs of Raspberry leaf a year.  This also takes into consideration that this is the herb that I share more than any other.  I am frequently giving small baggies of this away for one reason or another. 

As far as mixes go, I drink all kinds of things mixed together on whims.  My friend says she's jealous, because I just throw stuff in the pot and it always tastes good.  ;D  I do generally add raspberry leaf because it has such a neutral flavor and it's just so good for you, that I figure it can't hurt.

HTH
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 04:06:51 PM »
I use mine every day, about a TBS, and give it away as well.  I go through about a pound a year.  A pound is a lot, I was surprised how much the first time I ordered.  ;D

So, 1/2 pound will keep you for a good, long while...