Author Topic: Pumpkins seeds for parasites  (Read 23617 times)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Pumpkins seeds for parasites
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:56:14 AM »
Ok, I know that it has been mentioned in several places that you can use pumpkin seeds to kill parasites.  I'd like more info on just how to do it.

My MIL grows pumpkins, so I will soon have access to some seeds.  Do I just eat the seeds as they are?  Of to they need to be shelled? Toasted? Dried? 

I've been wanting to do a parasite cleanse.  (After 13 years in Mexico, I've gotta have em...) But dh doesn't feel like we should spend the money on that right now.  So I am hoping that the pumpkin seeds will do the trick.

Will I have any side effects from a bunch of pumpkin seeds?  Has anybody else done this with success? 

Thanks for your help and imput on yet another "unpleasant" topic of WellTellMe.  I'm sure glad to have a place to ask questions like this!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:01:09 AM by mexmarr »

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Re: Pumpkins seeds for parasites
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:09:40 AM »
bump

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:13:34 AM »
I'd like to know as well.  I love roasted pumpkin seeds, but Im sure the heat kills something good in them. 

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 11:28:16 AM »
From nourishing traditions:
PEPITAS
4 cups raw hulled pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
filtered water

This recipe imitates the Aztec practice of soaking seeds in brine, then letting them dry in the hot sun.  They ate pepitas whole or ground into meal. 
Dissolve salt in water and add pumpkin seeds and optional cayenne.  Leave in a warm place for at least 7 hours or overnight.  Drain in a colander and spread on a stainless steel baking pan.  Place in a warm oven (no morea than 150 degrees) for about 12 hours or overnight, turning occasionally, until thoroughly dry and crisp.  Store in an airtight container.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 11:42:33 AM »

Thanks a bunch, Mishy.  I can't believe that I hadn't thought of checking Nourishing Traditions.  I just got it a few weeks ago.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:44:12 AM »

Hulled?  Does that mean shelled?  That could be a lot of work... :-\

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 11:55:30 AM »
"Usually, pumpkin seeds are eaten with the hull intact, unlike peanuts or sunflower seeds. The hull contains much of the nutrients, and its fibrous texture clears out your digestive track. Of course, you can shell the seeds one by one, but it's probably not worth the trouble. Store-bought, pre-shelled pumpkin seeds are called pepitas."

I found this on a website.  Why would Nourishing Traditions say to hull them?

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 02:34:32 PM »
I wondered that too....
:)

Offline TwinkleToes

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 05:30:44 PM »
I had a pumpkin seed "experience" a couple months ago -- at least I think it was the pumpkin seeds.  I bought some raw seeds from our health store after reading they were good for parasites and thinking this would be a healthy snack for the kids, etc.   Well, as a nursing mother sometimes I am overcome by hunger and need some "fast food", so one day I stood in the pantry and ate and ate and ate pumpkin seeds -- literally stuffed my face.  Well!  For the next 24 hrs. or so I was very busy running to the bathroom.  It was quite miserable actually.  I don't know if that answers the question as to whether they're effective for parasites, but I can confirm that I've had pumpkin seedaphobia ever since!  ;)

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 06:05:33 AM »
For those of you who garden, you may be interested in a variety of pumpkin called "Snackjack." They are little pie pumpkins that are just full of naturally hull-less seeds.

http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?c=140&P={68527E22-9A91-45AF-A2D2-EC201C7810FB}
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 07:43:48 PM by hedy »

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 09:18:07 AM »
For those of you who garden, you may be interested in a variety of pumpkin called "Snackjack." They are little pie pumpkins that are just full of naturally hull-less seeds.

https://www.jungseed.com/jungsite/jungsiteviewproduct.aspx?ProductID=18118

Yeah, I am interested, but right now, I get whatever happens to be in my MIL's garden.

TwinkleToes, were the seeds that you ate hulled?

Offline TwinkleToes

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »
Mexmar, the seeds I ate were without the hull...I guess they would be pepitas? 

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 05:32:54 AM »
I thought I would bump this thread and add our recent experience.  The family was dealing with a nasty intestinal ick thing that wasn't responding too treatment for bacterial or viral remedies.  I bought the whole roasted salted pumpkin seeds and for the next 36-48 hrs the household went through some detox simptoms (lots of running to the bathroom and changing diapers), but it seemed to have elliminated our problem. 

In administering the seeds I did find it harder to get my younger kiddos to eat them since they were pretty chewy and their is a distinct lack of teeth in my youngest son.  Does anybody have a recipe that involved pureying the seeds or other such concoctions?

-Heather

Offline tnmom

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 06:33:28 AM »
I throw pumpkin seeds (and some others) in with my smoothies.  I start with rice milk and add some fruit, plain yogurt, honey maybe and spirulina or spinach and a couple handfuls of nuts/seeds and blend for 2-3 minutes. 
For those with stomach complaints i just use water, plain yogurt, bananas and honey and pumpkin seeds.  It's not great but my kids will all drink it. 
Maybe you could try running the seeds through the coffee grinder for the little ones?

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 02:56:24 PM »
so are they known for actually killing the parasites somew how or just cleaning you out :)

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 07:44:06 AM »
so it seems like they do actually have parasite killing power! Good good. I wish I could remember where I found this but I can't...but they said for kids to do a parasite cleanse to have them do a juice fast and eat all the pumpkin seeds and raisins they want!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 06:14:53 AM »
So, if I go to the HFS and buy pumpkin seeds it doens't matter if they are roasted or not?  Have I ever seen a hulled pumpkin seed ya think?  I can't imagine hulling them.  I dn't really have any evidence of parasites but am just paranoid as all get out now that I have read so much about them on here.  AND I do not watch opra BUT she has that dr Oz on there every once in awhile and I happnened on it the other day and they were talking parasites and he actually showed a colon with pinworms. EWWWWW. I can't actually do a cleanse b/c I am nursing and I doubt I could get my kids to.  I actually did do a kid on on my son but we didn't do it right I think.  Its hard to give it at the right time and then well......anyway.....I don't think we did it right.  So ALLLLLLLL this say.....doesn't matter if they are roasted or raw?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 08:49:11 AM »
PEPITAS
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
filtered water

This recipe imitates the Aztec practice of soaking seeds in brine, then letting them dry in the hot sun.  They ate pepitas whole or ground into meal. 
Dissolve salt in water and add pumpkin seeds and optional cayenne.  Leave in a warm place for at least 7 hours or overnight.  Drain in a colander and spread on a stainless steel baking pan.  Place in a warm oven (no morea than 150 degrees) for about 12 hours or overnight, turning occasionally, until thoroughly dry and crisp.  Store in an airtight container.
Do you think a baking stone would be okay? I have no more ss baking things.  I went to the HFS and all their pumpkin seeds were hulled.  I didn't buy organic though.  And I only bought just over a pound so I don't know how long htey would last or how much or how long one would need to eat them to clean out.

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 10:27:42 AM »
Mine were roasted and they seemed to work quite well.

-H

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 10:31:31 AM »
Mine were roasted and they seemed to work quite well.

-H
Thanks!  I am doing Mishy recipe with the salt and cayenne.  Hope the kids like them that way.  ;D

Offline ConsummoAmorNonBellum

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »
Has anyone ever tried grinding them? The pepitas, I mean. I'm curious to see whether there's enough oil in them to make them into a pumpkin-seed butter (like peanut butter) to spread on bread or something like that.

And would that still work, for the laxative and antiparasitical qualities?

Also, does it make any difference to the parasites whether the seeds are salted or not? I would imagine that the salt would only help, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

But hey, we have a Vita-Mix and we have a natural-foods shop nearby, so I'm game to try nearly anything!  :)

Oh, and I've also learned that the high zinc content of pumpkin seeds is very good for men's reproductive health. My husband's been snacking on them quite a bit lately, and let's just say that we have both noticed an improvement.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 02:05:21 PM by ConsummoAmorNonBellum »
"I will show love to the people...I will free them from their enemies—not with weapons and armies or horses and charioteers, but by my power as the Lord their God.”
Hosea 1:7

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 05:39:02 PM »
i don't know but I would think grinding might be better for kids sorry to be gross but they come out whole w/ my son if you know wht I mean. he still must be getting something from them cause it seems to move things  through him, but maybe grinding would break it down a bit more. ??

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 04:17:55 PM »
I want to de-parasite myself when I get back from a short term missions trip in January. I am sure I will be coming home with some parasite "friends". I am about certain I already have some "friends" now as it is just from being an outdoor nature lover and owner of pets.

I have 2 pumpkins. I want to roast the seeds now of one to enjoy eating them and de-parasite with and I want to save the seeds of the other to use for parasites in January.

How do I preserve the pumpkin seeds till January?

Will the pumpkin seeds still be affective after they are preserved?

Can they be made into a tincture?

If I dry them will they lose their effectiveness against parasites?

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 03:54:40 PM »
I was wondering, how long do you eat the pumkin seeds for? And how much? And what about the rest of your diet, do you eat normally, or eat a special diet? Is it safe to do while you are nursing? How do you know if you have parasites, and how do you know if the pumpkin seeds worked? Thanks!  :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »
Smileyface- I am wondering the same questions you have asked.  :D

I have read in several places that eating the pumpkin seeds with carrots is supposed to help kill the parasites. it had something to do with carrots having something in them that repel parasites. But I have not heard much on that.

I wonder what else a person could eat that might repel parasites? Garlic? Coconuts? Pinapples maybe? I have read/heard those are some of the foods that fight against parasites.

I don't know if I expelled any parasites or not. While I am in town tomorrow I will buy another pumpkin or 2 for their seeds mainly. I roast them in the oven.

Does anyone know if roasting the seeds harms their affect on fighting against parasites?

I don't learn very easy so I need anyones detailed info on your experience with parasites. Don't worry  I got the stomach for it, I worked in a nursing home so I have saw and cleaned up tons of repulsive stuff. Therefor I can handle the stomach churning parasite details. LOL.  ;)

Offline jewelrylight

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 09:01:20 AM »
A friend of mine treated their children with them for I think pinworms and it was effectife. Infact, first they did it but the babies grew back so they had to do it again and it took care of it.

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »
I want to de-parasite myself when I get back from a short term missions trip in January. I am sure I will be coming home with some parasite "friends". I am about certain I already have some "friends" now as it is just from being an outdoor nature lover and owner of pets.

I have 2 pumpkins. I want to roast the seeds now of one to enjoy eating them and de-parasite with and I want to save the seeds of the other to use for parasites in January.

How do I preserve the pumpkin seeds till January?

Will the pumpkin seeds still be affective after they are preserved?

Can they be made into a tincture?

If I dry them will they lose their effectiveness against parasites?

BUMP! I know this is very old, but I am wondering these same things! Tia!
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline sissylove

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
Hi Everyone I'm new to this site :)

I have a question I been told twice i Have parasites

Every time I eat I bloat up to the extreme and what I was told that it was the parasites were eating my food so thats why I bloat I was wondering what were some of the symptoms you have had that made you think you have parasites !

I had an Xray and an ultrasound and no DR's can find anything ! I"ve been to 3 GI docs , acupuncture ,natropath

Thanks Sissylove

I'm desperate , it's starting to depress me , I been asked a few times if I was pregnant and I'm not !