Author Topic: Tap Water odor ??  (Read 2292 times)

Offline natural

• Adept
Tap Water odor ??
« on: November 25, 2008, 05:09:54 PM »
Late this past summer, we had a new well dug (over 350 feet down  :o )
we also put in a filter that attaches to the pipes and have a water softner.

Recently our water had a terrible sulfur odor and none of us can even bare to drink it.

Has anyone ever had this prob? do you think the minerals are actually good for us? bad for us? any suggestions?

We may have to replace the filter too, we will check that next since this is just now getting worse.

Our distiller went out right at the WRONG time too  :-[

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline natural

• Adept
Re: Tap Water odor ??
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:32:52 AM »
bump ;D
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
  • Music in my kitchen :)
    • The Most Important Job in the World for a Married Woman
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »
I'm not sure if this would be the same problem for you that we've had, but when our well was dug over six years ago, we were told there was a lot of iron in our water.  Within about three months of living in our home and having to scrub the showers and everything about every two days (my toilets are still stained and will probably never be the clean they are supposed to be), we had a filtering system installed. 

Well, about a year ago or so, we started to notice the odor of the iron coming through the water about every six weeks, instead of every three to four months when it's meant to be serviced to have the additive refilled that combats the iron.  Well, come to find out, we were having "iron bacteria" enter our water now.  This could only be fixed by a chlorinator, which cost us $500. 

Our service man explained to me (and I had suspected this w/ a drilled well) that when a well is dug, there are particular cracks or tributaries and "feed into" or empty into the well itself.  Over time, those will change as the earth moves and changes.  Because of this, new issues can arise that cause problems that before never existed.  For us, hence the iron "bacteria."  I don't know if this would be the same problem you have, but I would definitely check w/ whomever dug the well for you, and find out who can test your water and what needs to be done. 

I don't know about sulfur, but I know the iron we have in our area is BAD for us, and I would have to assume w/ such a foul odor, sulfur would be the same.

HTH
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:20:18 AM »
I'm not sure if this would be the same problem for you that we've had, but when our well was dug over six years ago, we were told there was a lot of iron in our water.  Within about three months of living in our home and having to scrub the showers and everything about every two days (my toilets are still stained and will probably never be the clean they are supposed to be), we had a filtering system installed. 

Well, about a year ago or so, we started to notice the odor of the iron coming through the water about every six weeks, instead of every three to four months when it's meant to be serviced to have the additive refilled that combats the iron.  Well, come to find out, we were having "iron bacteria" enter our water now.  This could only be fixed by a chlorinator, which cost us $500. 

Our service man explained to me (and I had suspected this w/ a drilled well) that when a well is dug, there are particular cracks or tributaries and "feed into" or empty into the well itself.  Over time, those will change as the earth moves and changes.  Because of this, new issues can arise that cause problems that before never existed.  For us, hence the iron "bacteria."  I don't know if this would be the same problem you have, but I would definitely check w/ whomever dug the well for you, and find out who can test your water and what needs to be done. 

I don't know about sulfur, but I know the iron we have in our area is BAD for us, and I would have to assume w/ such a foul odor, sulfur would be the same.

HTH

Thanks so much for your in put, I will check into this...we did have visible iron on our toilets and showers, then the softner went in (the same one we have always had, but we moved it) and that took care of a lot of the rust...the odor is like rotten chicken or rotten eggs that is why I called it sulfur.

When we put our drinking water in the fridge (from the tap) the next day the odor is almost all gone and the water is drinkable. Maybe that will help to know too.. ???

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 01:42:09 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread.   We have this problem off and on~~~usually in the spring and fall.   This fall it was really bad but is getting better now that the winter is here.   We probably should have the water tested but don't really know where to have that done and I do know it can be costly.  Hopefully there will be someone with more suggestions.  Thanks
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 03:58:55 AM »
When we had our shallow well we had a terrible time in the spring because it was so wet and our water would be really off colored and odorous, but obviously that won't be a prob now with a 300 and some foot deep well.

I hope we all have some answers  :-\ :)