Author Topic: Tree Nut Allergy- Sudden Onset at age 20  (Read 4863 times)

Offline tonysgirl

• Adept
Tree Nut Allergy- Sudden Onset at age 20
« on: November 22, 2008, 05:08:59 PM »
I searched for a topic like this... couldn't find one... My sil at age 20, while living in Grenada, had a major respiratory reaction to tree nuts. She didn't before in her life have any reactions, and doesn't seem to be allergic to anything else. Peanuts are OK, but her reactions to tree nuts are bad. If she walks past a pan of brownies with chopped walnuts on top, she'll get a reaction. She carries epinephrine pens and gives herself a shot and that usually takes care of it, but sev. times a yr. ends up in the ER. She can't have anything that might have come in contact with nuts, such as eating at a buffet- no good. Someone might have used one spoon to scoop something out of another dish, then she uses it, thinking what she's getting has no nuts in it, until she gets difficulty breathing...
My bro. asked me to try to help them figure if there's anything they can do. Anyone out there have any knowledge? Or ideas?

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
Re: Tree Nut Allergy- Sudden Onset at age 20
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »
I am not sure of what she can do, but I have some insight.  Peanuts are not really nuts, they are legumes, which is why she is allergic to tree nuts and not peanuts.

Allergies can be progressive.  The likelihood is that she has had a far less severe reaction to tree nuts over the years, and each time her body responded to the allergen in the nuts, the subsequent reaction would build up more antibodies.  So, continued exposures over the years built up enough antibodies in her system that the next time she was exposed became the big one where she had the major respiratory issue.

She should always have her epi pen with her.  Check all food lables.  Let everyone she knows know that she is allergic.  I have found that to be particulary helpful when dealing with my peanut allergy.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/