Author Topic: Paper vs. cloth  (Read 1930 times)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
Paper vs. cloth
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »
This one has to do with what do you keep for hand drying?
Should I do a poll?
   During this whole MRSA thing- it was recommended to me to switch to paper towels for the duration to help prevent spreading. I liked it! It felt more sanitary. The front bathroom is the kids and guests. The hand towel gets gross real quick if you can imagine. I've caught little snot noses being wiped on it also. If the towel happens to fall on the floor near the toilet it just gets used and thrown back down or someone's hanging bath towel gets used. BLEH! I can't imagine the nasties! So I have friends who do paper towels and I have friends that do nothing but cloth- for dinner napkins, by the sink etc. Both can't understand the others preferences. I understand that economically wise and environmentally wise paper towels are inefficient but they seem more hygienic.
   Any other opinions? ideas? I'm already the hand towel police but it was a nice break for 2 months with paper towels.

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Paper vs. cloth
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:23:27 PM »
I always wash and dry all my towels and washclothes together on hot and dry them hot too.  I bet lots of people do that but does that not kill diseases like MRSA?  Probably not, huh?

Offline kimbalyn

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »
We use all cloth and only keep paper towels around for really gross stuff, like doggie accidents, etc.  There are only four of us in the house and I keep up with laundry by doing a load a day, so I make a sweep through the house in the morning and put "yesterday's" hand towels in the wash and put fresh ones out.  If company is coming, one of the last things we do before they get here is make sure the toilet paper roll is new-ish and put a fresh hand towel out.

We use handkerchiefs and napkins bought at the thrift store or garage sales for dinner napkins.  None of them match and they have become a topic of dinner conversation because of the mismatched patterns and fabrics.  I'll always use cloth napkins because they are so much softer - even the toddlers and babies who come around don't seem to mind a good face wiping with them!

The handful of "napkins" and two hand towels don't add to the laundry I'm already doing, so it makes sense economically to stick with cloth for us.  If I had more than two bathrooms and more than two boys, I might have a different opinion.  ;D

Offline BettaGurl3

• I used to be BettaGurl3
  • Master
  • I LOVE HORSES!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »
 Definitely cloth here, just change once a week. ;) Sooo much better for the enviroment!!
We do keep paper towels on hand, for spills and generally yucky stuff. ::) :P :-X
HTH!
~BettaGurl3

Offline aireachail

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:31:18 PM »
Paper towels are SO helpful when you're trying not to spread illness. (Probably why medical offices and public restrooms all use paper towels or air dryers.) Granted, if someone has thoroughly washed their hands prior to drying them on a towel, the germs should be minimized... but paper towels will almost completely stop cross-contamination.

In the bathroom, faces are often wiped on towels after brushing teeth, etc. In the kitchen, hands are being dried prior to food preparation. So if you have a nasty bug (for instance, pinkeye) going around and you really want to help stop the spread, paper towels are a great idea.

I know they are not as environmentally friendly as reusable cloth, but they ARE paper, and will degrade (or could be recycled) fairly easily. On the other hand, they will cost you quite a bit more, and are rougher on the skin in my opinion.

In our household, we use mostly cloth towels for hand-drying, with paper towels for most of our cleaning. (I like the sanitation factor when wiping kitchen counters... being able to throw paper towels away after wiping down the toilets... etc.) However, we've also been known to use paper towels to cut down on the spread of germs for hand-drying, depending on the occasion.

We do use paper napkins, although I can see where using cloth napkins would be very useful. Maybe when we have more kids...

Offline kimbalyn

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 08:05:35 AM »
Dr. Mercola addressed MRSA in today's daily e-mail.  Here is the link:  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/01/20/can-tea-tree-oil-body-wash-prevent-mrsa.aspx.