Author Topic: How Much Good Fat?  (Read 12536 times)

Offline Jemima

• Adept
How Much Good Fat?
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:23:38 AM »
I'm new to the "good fats" way of eating, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much we need.  Or, to get more specific, how much for a nursing mother?

I've noticed a lot of comments in passing about "getting enough fats", but how much is enough?  I've been trying to incorporate them into my diet more, going heavy on the butter, cream, not picking all the fat out meat, and adding some EVCO in occasionally. I've been taking an Omega 3 supplement for a couple months also. However I can't see any great change in anything. So I wonder, am I getting enough?

Any thoughts on how much we should be getting, or is this question addressed on a different thread?

TIA!

Offline floydian

• Master
Re: How Much Good Fat?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »
Honestly, I just read your question on the breast feeding thread, and I don't know how much.  I did answer that you might want to add more in, but I don't know how much.

I know that when I was pregant, I cut out most of the fat from my diet thinking I was doing a good thing.  Uh...no.

I didn't sleep as well, and um....my desire for intimacy with my dh went to almost nil, whereas it had been great.  I added in more butter, cheese, and coconut oil, and things improved drasitcally.

I have had good success with cod liver oil.  I like the gel caps because there is no taste.

We use cream, sour cream, whole non-homogized milk, butter.  We also like to dip our bread in olive oil.

Cod liver oil in my kids has made a huge difference.

With our 3rd son, he used to catch anything and everything that went around.  He always had a cold and he never missed a cough.  He would cough and cough and cough.  For weeks.  I actually gave him CLO to help him focus better on his schoolwork.  As an added benefit, he rarely gets sick anymore.  He has not had ONE cough since he started taking the CLO.

I started giving it to all my kids.  The ones that take it on a regular basis rarely get sick anymore.

None of this really answered your question, did it.

I guess I just like to hear myself type. ::)
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 02:37:06 PM »
Cod liver oil in my kids has made a huge difference.

With our 3rd son, he used to catch anything and everything that went around.  He always had a cold and he never missed a cough.  He would cough and cough and cough.  For weeks.  I actually gave him CLO to help him focus better on his schoolwork.  As an added benefit, he rarely gets sick anymore.  He has not had ONE cough since he started taking the CLO.

I started giving it to all my kids.  The ones that take it on a regular basis rarely get sick anymore.

None of this really answered your question, did it.

I guess I just like to hear myself type. ::)

We like to hear you!  How much CLO do you give your kids and do you just give it on a spoon?
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:49:47 PM »
What I've read is roughly 1/3 of your calories should be fats, the rest equal amounts of protein, and low glycemic carbs. I know I figured it out a while back and had to adjust the amount of coconut oil and butter up in the summer when we aren't taking as much CLO.
Maybe someone (or myself) can look this up. ??   ;) I need to reborrow the book Eat Fat Lose Fat...

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 02:59:50 PM »
I don't know any specifics, but there is a great coconut oil, peanut butter fudge recipe on here by Whiterock. 

Yum!
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

YoopreMama

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »
Hi, Jemima!  :)

I'm one who runs around spouting off about good fats.    :D  I've never followed a RDA for it...I'm checking out the Weston Price page...

http://www.westonaprice.org/women/index.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/fatty_acid.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/children/dietformothers.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/children/index.html

and maybe NT has something on it.  I know I'm getting enough when I'm not craving things I ought not eat, when my mood is stable, my skin is good and baby's skin looks good, too.  I'm also losing weight, but I do that when I eat good fats.

I've found CLO works better for me than an Omega-3 supplement or Fish oil.  I take 1 T./day.  And EVCO, well, I'm on more of it now, due to the anti-yeast diet, but 3-4 T. on average.  LOTS of butter...used to get whole milk...the nuts, seeds, etc...fish...good beef..there's lists everywhere, but it seems like you want AMOUNTS not where to get the fats from.  ;)

My kiddos get a heaping teaspoon or 2.  It helps THEM so much, esp. the BOYS.   :o  We used to get orange flavored TwinLabs, but we're trying lemon Carlson's.  Seems like we don't need as much.  ??? 

Floydian's testimony is right on!   ;D

So 1/3 of calories from fat...wow!  Protein is important, too.

The thread on Eat Fat, Lose Fat may have some numbers for you.

Hang in there!  I think you're doing so well.  :-*

Gwen--that is SO helpful of you!  :D

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »
 :-[  It's been helpful to me, as it tastes yummy, and is very healthy.  The recipe isn't heated, and so you get the full health benefits of the raw honey, extra virgin coconut oil, butter etc.  I keep some in the fridge, and we snack on it daily.

Here's how I make it:

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. extra virgin coconut oil

Put all of the above in a 9x9 pan, and stir with a fork until well blended.

Add raw honey and cocoa powder to taste.  Make sure it tastes yummy to you!
Refridgerate...it will harden up nicely.  I slice mine into 1 inch squares, and then put them into a container to snack on.  Keep in the fridge, and enjoy without guilt!
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
Your replies have been helpful -- thank you!! I'll be doing more reading as I have time, on the threads some of you suggested.  It's good to know what works for others.

I hope this thread gets added to some more, in time.

Gwen -- that fudge is AWESOME! It's so nice for when I have a craving for something sweet - 'cause it is sweet, and is filling, too. I didn't add the cocoa, since I really liked the pnut butter/honey combo. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 03:10:08 PM »
:-[  It's been helpful to me, as it tastes yummy, and is very healthy.  The recipe isn't heated, and so you get the full health benefits of the raw honey, extra virgin coconut oil, butter etc.  I keep some in the fridge, and we snack on it daily.

Here's how I make it:

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter

Refridgerate...it will harden up nicely.  I slice mine into 1 inch squares, and then put them into a container to snack on.  Keep in the fridge, and enjoy without guilt!

This is AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing!!! Anyone on a low carb diet can eat this and not be in much trouble with the carbs in the small amount of honey!
I substituted Extra Virgin Coconut oil for the Olive oil so I could eat this and get more of my daily amount =) I only used 1/3 cup of honey and its sweet enough for me!
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »

Here's how I make it:

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter

This is AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing!!! Anyone on a low carb diet can eat this and not be in much trouble with the carbs in the small amount of honey!
I substituted Extra Virgin Coconut oil for the Olive oil so I could eat this and get more of my daily amount =) I only used 1/3 cup of honey and its sweet enough for me!

I'm confused. Are you saying you used olive oil instead of the coconut oil?

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 04:20:21 PM »
There are several recipes for coconut oil candies and such on WTM but I'm not sure how to search for them. But here are a few I posted. HTH!

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3606.msg31283.html#msg31283

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,16786.msg167739.html#msg167739
There are three "recipes" in a row, at that link. The first two are simplified re-posts of the above post and the third is a re-post of a recipe I wrote about before but can't find in the other thread.  ::)

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2701.msg30663.html#msg30663
Here's one that's not candy.... it's eggnog! But it has good fats in it too.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »

Here's how I make it:

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter

I'm confused. Are you saying you used olive oil instead of the coconut oil?

WR

Um, No. I made it with Coconut oil. I was thinking it said to use Olive oil...my mistake...Sorry =)
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 03:33:24 PM »

Um, No. I made it with Coconut oil. I was thinking it said to use Olive oil...my mistake...Sorry =)

Oh, ok! 'Cause I was thinking the olive oil would taste nasty! LOL! But then again I posted a brownie recipe with olive oil, somewhere on WTM... though I never tried it myself.  :)

WR
Who Needs God?