Author Topic: Jellies, Jams & Preserves: Recipes & Hints  (Read 102820 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Jellies, Jams & Preserves: Recipes & Hints
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2010, 05:29:17 AM »
There are several types of sugar under the rapadura name. I use evaporated cane juice crystals when honey or fruit juice is not sufficient sweetener.

I've not noticed a molasses taste, especially in jam. I only use 1 cup of sugar for 5 cups of fruit and juice though.
 By itself the cane crystals do have a more complex flavor, but I wouldn't describe it as a molasses flavor. I can actually taste a metallic/chemical type bitterness in products with white sugar, so it might be adaption of the taste buds.  :)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2010, 09:14:22 AM »
I have some elderberry jam that I made about a month ago.  I used the freezer jam recipe.  I've done that before and it set just fine.  Well, I think this time I made the mistake of putting it in the freezer BEFORE it set.  So, now, when we are thawing it out, it's more like juice than jam.  Can I take those jars and remake them by canning it? If I follow the recipe for canning? I really hate to waste it, since they are alot of work to pick off them stems!  And it tastes really good.  I could use it for smoothies, yogurt etc.  but would remake it if I thought it would work.

thanks
wendy

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »
Wendy,

I would do it. I know that if you can jam or jelly, and it doesn't set, you can re-heat it, add more pectin, and give it another go. I can't imagine why you couldn't do it after a frozen one, too.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
that's what I was thinking too.  I think I will.  :)  I have to make some more grape jelly anyway.

wendy