Author Topic: Sudden Heavy Night Wetting  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Sudden Heavy Night Wetting
« on: November 13, 2008, 07:35:37 AM »
My 18 month old (not potty trained) boy has suddenly started completely soaking several diapers a night.  He is recovering from whooping cough, which he developed in early September and I am giving him lots of natural treatments of different sorts.  I was giving him his herbs, many times a day, in juice.  Prior to this illness we rarely drank juice.  Then I thought that maybe that was the problem so I switched to Almond Milk.  That still did not work.  Then I started putting the meds in less and less almond milk.  Still no difference.  Then I thought it was the cheap disposable diapers I was using at night but I tried one of my daughers larger overnight huggies diapers and the same thing happened.  We have cut out dairy since we developed the Whooping Cough, so it's not that.  I have to change his diaper once or twice a night and he still usually wakes up at 5 ish with a dripping wet diaper and his legs and feet are wet too.

Am I missing something obvious here?  I've just never seen this before in any of the other kids.  Can some disorder of some sort cause this?  He's also been pooping more but just during the day?

Also, does anyone know of a more absorbent diaper?

Redirect me if this is already a topic.  I did search but didn't come up with anything. 

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Sudden Heavy Night Wetting
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »
My 18 month old (not potty trained) boy has suddenly started completely soaking several diapers a night.  He is recovering from whooping cough, which he developed in early September and I am giving him lots of natural treatments of different sorts.  I was giving him his herbs, many times a day, in juice.  Prior to this illness we rarely drank juice.  Then I thought that maybe that was the problem so I switched to Almond Milk.  That still did not work.  Then I started putting the meds in less and less almond milk.  Still no difference.  Then I thought it was the cheap disposable diapers I was using at night but I tried one of my daughers larger overnight huggies diapers and the same thing happened.  We have cut out dairy since we developed the Whooping Cough, so it's not that.  I have to change his diaper once or twice a night and he still usually wakes up at 5 ish with a dripping wet diaper and his legs and feet are wet too.

Am I missing something obvious here?  I've just never seen this before in any of the other kids.  Can some disorder of some sort cause this?  He's also been pooping more but just during the day?

Also, does anyone know of a more absorbent diaper?

Redirect me if this is already a topic.  I did search but didn't come up with anything. 

Bump, anyone?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:19:50 AM »
Melie, the only thing I'm thinking is that, at that age, his bladder capacity may have increased to the point where he can hold much more urine and he's not peeing until he's in bed.  Another thing, it always seemed like mine peed a LOT more when the weather got cooler - even wet the bed a few times if they were already dry at night just during the adjustment to cold weather. 
 ???   ???   ??? 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:34:36 AM »
Melie, the only thing I'm thinking is that, at that age, his bladder capacity may have increased to the point where he can hold much more urine and he's not peeing until he's in bed.  Another thing, it always seemed like mine peed a LOT more when the weather got cooler - even wet the bed a few times if they were already dry at night just during the adjustment to cold weather. 
 ???   ???   ??? 

Well, that may be.  He is not peeing nearly as much during the day. 

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »
We discovered just weeks ago that calcium supplements did the same thing as a glass of goat milk at bedtime---floods!  ::) Stopped the calcium at  bedtime and we are back to staying dry or small accidents that are contained by pullups.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
How wierd is this:  My son has always wet the bed, and we found that cal-mag-zinc supplements put an end to it. We do one in the morning, and one right before bed.  I wonder just calcium would have that affect...

OK...here's a little brain poot  ;D  Maybe if you're kid is getting too much of something that it can't use (vitamin c, calcium) that's water soluable, their body just does a night-time cleanse to void out all the excess?  Just a thought.

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »
We discovered just weeks ago that calcium supplements did the same thing as a glass of goat milk at bedtime---floods!  ::) Stopped the calcium at  bedtime and we are back to staying dry or small accidents that are contained by pullups.

Very interesting!  I give my 5yr old daughter Cal/mag before bed for leg pains.  She wets almost nightly.  She usually does not leak though and it really helps her leg pains.  I guess I'll try in the am and see if it makes a difference.

GWEN!  I think you're on to something!  I am giving them very high doses of Vit C because of the Whooping Cough.  He cough is almost gone.  He whoops about once a night, most nights.  I have not decreased his dose because it has been so effective.  Maybe I need to check what his dose should be now that he is improving.  I'll do the test on him again tomorrow and see if I'm just giving him way too much.  Which would make sense because he is also having LOTS of loose stools.  THANK YOU!

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »

Very interesting!  I give my 5yr old daughter Cal/mag before bed for leg pains.  She wets almost nightly.  She usually does not leak though and it really helps her leg pains.  I guess I'll try in the am and see if it makes a difference.

GWEN!  I think you're on to something!  I am giving them very high doses of Vit C because of the Whooping Cough.  He cough is almost gone.  He whoops about once a night, most nights.  I have not decreased his dose because it has been so effective.  Maybe I need to check what his dose should be now that he is improving.  I'll do the test on him again tomorrow and see if I'm just giving him way too much.  Which would make sense because he is also having LOTS of loose stools.  THANK YOU!

Vitmin C definitely causes loose stools.

I don't want to scare you, and really I don't think this is your problem, but wnat to mention it on this thread.  Diabetes can cause children to soak their sheets at night.  It's usually accompanied by excessive thirst tho.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:52:24 PM »

Vitmin C definitely causes loose stools.

I don't want to scare you, and really I don't think this is your problem, but wnat to mention it on this thread.  Diabetes can cause children to soak their sheets at night.  It's usually accompanied by excessive thirst tho.

I had thought of that but dismissed it because he is perfectly healthy (other than the whooping cough ::) )  He has none of the other syptoms.  This all started since he started improving so I'm thinking it probably is too much Vit C.

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:02:31 PM »
Melie, my kids did the same thing when I did the high dosage C.  I'll bet that's what you are dealing with :)
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 07:17:44 AM »
Thank you for your help.  It must have been the vitamin C.  I cut it down significantly yesterday and we didn't have a problem last night.