Author Topic: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...  (Read 9313 times)

Offline benthere-donethat

  • Learning
  • Posts: 11
My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
« on: November 08, 2008, 03:37:27 AM »
My 8 year old son swallowed the silver metal ball from the Mouse Trap game last night.  I've read the thread about kids swallowing coins, etc, but I'm wondering if we should be concerned about it being made of lead or something that shouldn't be absorbed into his body.  We're waiting for it to pass; should we be worried about the metal?
Thanks...

Offline Mrs. Visionary

  • Adept
  • Posts: 163
    • PureBulk, Inc.
Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 03:52:11 AM »
I don't know about the mousetrap ball. I have, however, heard of some deaths from swallowing the magnetic balls that are in the magnetic building sets. I do not know if the problem was toxicity or obstruction or some other factor. I would call poison control and/or the local ER.

Offline benthere-donethat

  • Learning
  • Posts: 11
Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:12:20 AM »
Those problems were from magnets sticking together in the child's stomach/digestive track.  This ball is not magnetic, so that shouldn't be the problem in this case.

Offline hi_itsgwen

  • Master
  • Posts: 1428
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 04:12:58 AM »
I agree in calling, specifically for the issue of lead.  Perhaps, call the manufacturer first.  They would most likely know the make up of the ball.  

The deaths from magnetic stuff is from perforations to the bowel I think, so that wouldn't apply.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Julia

  • Master
  • Posts: 799
Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:21:15 AM »
Let me just say that I hate those little balls. They're such a safety hazard w/choking or swallowing but they roll under the couch so it's hard to keep track of them.

I would think using lead in the balls would be illegal but the Chinese toy manufacturers haven't showed much interest in following those laws.

Hopefully it will pass through his system soon, and you might look up "chelation, "bentonite clay," and "activated charcoal." All would, I believe, help to clean out any metals that might have gotten into his system.



Offline Mama Sita

  • Adept
  • Posts: 744
Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:35:40 AM »
Hopefully, 'this, too, shall pass....'  ;)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141