Author Topic: Lead in Ceramic Dishes, Coffee Cups, Crockpots & Other Cookware  (Read 114990 times)

Offline mommie

• Master
Re: Lead in Ceramic Dishes, Coffee Cups, Crockpots & Other Cookware
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »
I can't figure that chart out either...maybe I didn't sleep enough last night. It has the red green and yellow, but than some stuff have NO color...but than theres the #'s some have high #s and no color and some have high#'s and green color...help
thanks ladies!
confused, tired mamma :)

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »
wait...so maybe, if it has a high # but no color that means they only did one plate, they only assigned colors to dishes they did 3 or more of...Wait no that can't be cause...it says Gibson like a million times and all the Gibson stuff is in yellow, some of them have 0's, and some have actual #'s....I thought I figured it out...sorry...,now I'm just confused again...Maybe its the lead dishes I've been eating off of.  ::)

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »
According to this Lead is not found in common glass, only high end glass.
 http://www.haz-map.com/leadfact.htm
And this implies that there are different make-ups of glass which would mean that only lead glass contains lead.
http://www.yankeeglassblower.com/glass.html
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 04:27:52 PM »
According to this Lead is not found in common glass, only high end glass.
 http://www.haz-map.com/leadfact.htm
And this implies that there are different make-ups of glass which would mean that only lead glass contains lead.
http://www.yankeeglassblower.com/glass.html
I know someone that used to work in the food container industry and she echoes this statement. She said that the safe glass is the cheap, clear stuff. She recommends staying away from colored glass. . . I believe that she most often recommends Anchor glassware. . . .
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »
did anyone else understand that chart...maybe its not processing right on my computer? It has Gibson stuff in yellow with a 0 under the Lead XRF than it had Anchor Hocking USA (the glass I just bought yesterday) highlighted in no color but with a # of 5.1   ?????

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2008, 02:00:25 PM »
did anyone else understand that chart...maybe its not processing right on my computer? It has Gibson stuff in yellow with a 0 under the Lead XRF than it had Anchor Hocking USA (the glass I just bought yesterday) highlighted in no color but with a # of 5.1   ?????

You have the same confusion as I do!!  ;D  Thats what I don't understand either. A lot of places say that Anchor Hocking is SAFE... BUT the number next to it on the chart is HIGH. So what does that mean? on there website it says that they are basically improving & going green & so NOW there stuff is lead free. So... does my "older (like 5 year old) anchor hocking glassware have lead in it? It is colored.

Uh, this is too confusing. Someone just tell me: Yes, it does or No, it doesnt. It is safe or No, it is not safe.  ;D

I'll be waiting!!  ;)
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline sweet

• Learning
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2008, 05:23:50 AM »
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku8894693/index.cfm?pkey=celectrics%2Dall%2Dclad

Sweet, if this is what you were talking about it's nice, but I'm cheap & if I broke the insert it would be done for, can't we just find white inserts for what we already have or are they still lead if they are white?  

No, this isn't the one...I will look and try to link as description.
The one my husband wanted was definitely not ceramic, it cld be used to braise mt, they placed in the heating unit.

I'm cheap too, but sometimes it doesn't pay to be cheap, a hard lession to keep reapting....

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2008, 05:51:22 AM »
I'm still so confused...was that sheet just for ceramic dishes or for glass dishes as well, cause the anchor hocking glass dishes I bought to replace my gibson stoneware might just be WORSE! Yikes! :) the anchor has no color on it, but a reading of 5.1, but the Gibsons are highlited in Yellow, but some have numbers and some have readings of 0....BUMPING for help for this silly mommy!

Offline momto4girls

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2008, 06:16:21 AM »
Has anyone figured out if the corelle dishes are ok? Not the cups or mugs, just the dishes and bowls?

And what about Anchor Hocking, are they good or bad?

I need to know so I don't throw out a bunch of stuff, we are not exactly made of money here  :-\.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2008, 06:31:27 AM »
Has anyone figured out if the corelle dishes are ok? Not the cups or mugs, just the dishes and bowls?

And what about Anchor Hocking, are they good or bad?

I need to know so I don't throw out a bunch of stuff, we are not exactly made of money here  :-\.

According to this list   ~   List of Low-Lead China Patterns ~  http://www.edf.org/article.cfm?contentid=952    ~   The Corelle dishes are all safe.  Check the 'shoppers guide' and 'list of low lead' on the consumer information here. 

Further back in this thread is the information that Anchor Hocking is safe.  It is glass and doesn't have a glaze, which is where the lead is a problem.  The problem with glass would be if it were crystal, which has a lead content. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2008, 06:39:26 AM »

Further back in this thread is the information that Anchor Hocking is safe.  It is glass and doesn't have a glaze, which is where the lead is a problem.  The problem with glass would be if it were crystal, which has a lead content. 

Then why is there such a high number next to it (5.somthing)???  ???
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2008, 07:35:12 AM »
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku8894693/index.cfm?pkey=celectrics%2Dall%2Dclad

Sweet, if this is what you were talking about it's nice, but I'm cheap & if I broke the insert it would be done for, can't we just find white inserts for what we already have or are they still lead if they are white?  

The one my husband wanted was definitely not ceramic, it cld be used to braise mt, they placed in the heating unit.

I'm cheap too, but sometimes it doesn't pay to be cheap, a hard lession to keep reapting....
I'm like you I don't mind to pay a fair price for something I know to be healthy and will last, I just for saw buying something with a ceramic insert for a lot of money then breaking it and not being able to replace it,  :-\I know how hard I am on things but if there were something metal I know I wouldn't break it. 8)
DH, told me yesterday we probably will not be replacing our crock pot, he said "that's what your Cast iron dutch oven is for."
I guess that doesn't upset me too much we're slowly becoming minimalist and like SC's example in the dutch oven thread you throw the food in and three or so hours later you've the best whatever you put in you just have to adjust your heat to the proper setting.  8)
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »
can you use the cast iron w/ water like that? I have a huge cast iron dutch oven, but I didn't think I could slow cook chicken w/ water like that?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2008, 10:06:58 AM »
can you use the cast iron w/ water like that? I have a huge cast iron dutch oven, but I didn't think I could slow cook chicken w/ water like that?

I hope so, because I've been doing it for years and years.   ;)   It makes the very best chicken and dumplings, too.   ;D
I also make beans, pot roast, all soups, etc. in the cast iron.  My big dutch ovens need to be oiled and heated after cleaning; they don't stay seasoned well like my griddle and skillets.  My goal with the dutch ovens seems to be to keep them clean and rust-free rather than non-stick, kwim? 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline sweet

• Learning
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »

[/quote]
I'm like you I don't mind to pay a fair price for something I know to be healthy and will last, I just for saw buying something with a ceramic insert for a lot of money then breaking it and not being able to replace it,  :-\I know how hard I am on things but if there were something metal I know I wouldn't break it. 8)
DH, told me yesterday we probably will not be replacing our crock pot, he said "that's what your Cast iron dutch oven is for."
I guess that doesn't upset me too much we're slowly becoming minimalist and like SC's example in the dutch oven thread you throw the food in and three or so hours later you've the best whatever you put in you just have to adjust your heat to the proper setting.  8)
[/quote]

Did some poking around and found it on WS here:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/8260341/index.cfm?clg=44&bnrid=3181601&cm_ven=Shopzilla&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default

I read the reviews, and it sounds like it is a loser...because it is non stick!
Glad I didn't get it!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »
So the list STILL doesn't make sense to me...but it does seem like Anchor hocking also has stonewear...so maybe that is it!

Offline africamissy

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2008, 02:28:30 AM »
So the list STILL doesn't make sense to me...but it does seem like Anchor hocking also has stonewear...so maybe that is it!

FYI stonewear is stone, ground up and then moulded together with a type of adhesive.  It would be worthwhile to investigate what that adhesive is--cement, epoxy etc.  My simple solution for casseroles has been a stainless steal cake pan that I bought from Lehman's Hardware for 20/30$.  Someday I will get a cast iron dutch oven--when I'm not moving every 2 years.   :)

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Gourmet-Quart-Transparent-Cooker/dp/B0006A2ZRA
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SNAE-B45-Stainless-Thermal-Cooking/dp/B00004S57K/ref=pd_sbs_k_title_2
http://www.amazon.com/Reco-International-Classic-Romertopf-Pounds/dp/B0003UEIW8/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IVFMBZTBDC9S4&colid=FACLL5JDX4VZ

From searching the MDC forum these seem like maybe possible lead free options. I'm just hesitant to spend anymore money on anything now cause what are they gonna find next!!! Grrr. Anyways, Hamilton Beaches website USED to say they were LEAD FREE BUT NOW they say they comply with the FDA standards, which make us all feel real comfortable, huh? So now, back to square 1...what to do...I guess this just clarifies how important it is to be blessing our food! :)
Throwing hands up in the air in disgust icon. :)

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2008, 06:34:32 AM »
Someone on the DiscussingNT yahoo group just reported that their local WAPF chapter sent a Hamilton Beech Crock Pot, white ceramic liner, to a lab for lead testing. The lab found no lead in the crock pot after it had been heated for 25 hours.  The lab was DataChem in Utah.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »
I recently got a new crockpot.  It's a Rival, deep red stoneware, and made in China.

So, I emailed the company and got a nice little form e-mail back from them saying they "meet or exceed all applicable laws and regulations".  I have spent close to a half hour on hold across the day trying to speak to a real person who has access to some real information.  I don't think anyone mans that phone.

Then I called Hamilton Beach.  I got to speak to a person and this is what I know from them.  Recently the production of the stoneware has changed from US based to "overseas".  At that point, the statement has changed in their FAQs page from "Lead-Free" to "no measurable amounts of lead".  In our conversation it appears that the regulations required to label something as 'lead-free' are not being met for one reason or another (could be anything from too expensive to not possible to test yet because of short time in production there?  Poor person answering my call couldn't possibly know.).  I did find it encouraging to read 'no measurable' as the Hamilton Beach standard.  Beats FDA measurements.

Given this info, if I had a Hamilton Beach crockpot, I would call the company and ask when/ where the stoneware was manufactured (US vs. "overseas").  If it was US, I would feel pretty comfortable in it being made when the Hamilton standards were LeadFree.

On a side note, I have contacted the public health agency I have worked with to ask about their surface lead testing abilities.  When I worked there 4 million years ago, lead poisoning was pretty hot and there was lots of info available.   If anything comes of it, I'll post.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 09:49:27 AM »
Just FYI in case anyone is looking for a nice "lead-free" set of dishes...

I ordered my Christmas gift yesterday, it is a Mikasa Italian Countryside 42 pc set.The best deal is at amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Mikasa-Italian-Countryside-45-Piece-Dinnerware/dp/B00080Y21K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1227384425&sr=1-4

I called Mikasa and they said it is made in Malasia, and it passes California's proposition 65 lead ruling. I also read online that someone swabbed theirs with a home lead test kit and it came up OK. Anyway, it is a beautiful set, I got it yesterday for $165 and free shipping. It is $167 today, it had been $199 which is what I've seen everywhere else. It has good reviews, if you want to see better pics, look for it at the Macy's website, it also has a lot of reviews there too.

Fiesta ware sounds good too, it is just more expensive and I didn't like it as well.

I wish this set (mikasa italian countryside)was made in the USA, but it's not.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:14:38 AM by prairiechild »

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2008, 10:01:12 AM »
Fiesta ware sounds good too, it is just more expensive and I didn't like it as well. I wish this set was made in the USA, but it's not.

If someone is seriously interested in FiestaWare, this store carries blemished Fiesta at tremendous savings.  Just call them for available colors and styles. 
http://www.zanesvillepottery.com/

BTW,  FiestaWare dishes do NOT contain lead and they are made in the USA. 

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2008, 10:06:40 AM »
My Man doesn't care for my FiestaWare cups and saucers and isn't particularly fond of their coffee mugs.  He has one clear glass coffee cup, I think it's Pyrex, that he likes other than the size.  In his search for the 'perfect' coffee cup he ran across these;

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=730&f=1675

We went to Crate and Barrel last week and bought 8 of them.  They are big, but you don't have to fill them all the way to the top!   ;)  He likes the feel of them and says that the coffee tastes terrific in them. 

Crate & Barrel has a huge selection of glassware and dishes. 

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2008, 12:22:21 PM »
Lady hen, I got some mugs from Walmart (hocking made in USA) from Walmart that look JUST like that ... $3/each I think...and I must say the coffee does taste delicious in them!! :)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »
Lady hen, I got some mugs from Walmart (hocking made in USA) from Walmart that look JUST like that ... $3/each I think...and I must say the coffee does taste delicious in them!! :)

Maybe I should look at WM and see if they're the same size (16 oz!) or smaller.  Wouldn't be such a bad thing to have a smaller size, too.   The ones we bought at C&B would make good soup or ice cream mugs, too. 

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »
Those mugs from WM have been my favorite for years. Yes, they are 16 oz. I don't know if they still have them but WM used to also have another mug that matched that was a little smaller, straighter sides & the handle is smaller. My mom & I used to have both. In our experience, women tend to prefer the larger one (because the handle is large enough to hold with all your fingers through the handle) & men tend to prefer the smaller one. (because it's handle only fits 2 or 3 fingers- I  don't remember which for sure- which guys seem to prefer)

They came in both clear & blue the last I checked. We always had the blue ones b/c it matched the kitchen but in the future I think I'll stick w/clear. I broke my last one (a blue one) several months ago & hadn't gotten around to getting more. Maybe I will get some clear ones.

BTW- the 16oz one is also tall enough that a straw will stay in it. I used to use mine with a straw all the time with cold drinks.

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
That link above your post is talking about Corelle STONEWARE. The reg Corelle dishes are GLASS not ceramic & shouldn't be a problem, esp since California tested them & found them to be safe.

Also, Corning baking dishes should be OK.

From what I'm reading, for extra precaution, you can stick with white & w/out designs which would lessen the chances anyways.

As far as crock pots/slow cookers, there is one that contains a CORNING, NON-CERAMIC insert. I used to have one & the one I had held 6 quarts & was nice to cook in. The insert is a large Corning baking dish with clear glass lid. I still have the insert & use it as a baking casserole but the heating unit met with a fatal accident & we had to pitch it.  ::) ::) It didn't have anything to do with a problem with the crock pot itself, it was someone being careless & they broke it.  ::) ::) ::) HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

I know this is an old thread but I am searching for a crock pot to get for my son who is in the military.  I want it to be safe because he certainly doesn't get the healthiest meals---even when he does cook for himself.   
herbalmom~~do you remember what brand crock pot it was that had the corning insert?

Does anybody have any new information about all of this?  Thanks-----what would I ever do without WTM?    ;)
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »
I got a white Hamilton beach -from what I found it does not have lead.
You might also consider a Stainless steel electric skillet that ranges really low to slow cook or really high for skillet purposes.

Sherri

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »
Thank you.   I was thinking maybe Hamilton Beach but hadn't really made up my mind yet.   Has anyone heard of the Brevelle Crock Pots?
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2009, 04:28:04 PM »
My friend just got me one of those lead tester kit things from the hardware store. I tested my rival and hamilton beach crock pots and both came back clear. my gibson everyday stone ware came back clear too.. I was almost afraid to test them and find out...cause I use my crock pots sooo much... anyways...that's the verdict for my stuff... ;)