Author Topic: My brother has kidney cancer  (Read 6660 times)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
My brother has kidney cancer
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:02:29 AM »
I couldn't find any other posts about this, so I was hoping someone might have some info.

It's so weird because I just finished reading Cancer step outside the box.  But, of course he won't really listen to me about anything to do.  My mom is the only one who listens to me, she skimmed thru the book. 

They are going to remove the tumor with part of his kidney sometime soon.  They are doing a catscan next week to see exactly how big it is. 

My brother has been an alcoholic for most of his life, do you think this would contribute to this?  Usually you would expect his liver to be a mess, but I told my parents that its all connected.  He also smokes, and he has a poor diet, lots of mcdonalds, etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with kidney cancer?  It's a little scary.  He is only 37.  I guess my mom's dad had this also about 4 or 5 years ago, but he is in his 80's, but he too was a drinker when my mom was younger.

I've been trying to make some changes to my family's diet, even more than I already have, more fruits & veggies.  Although the round of Halloween candy hasn't helped.

Wendy

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: My brother has kidney cancer
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:58:32 AM »
I don't have any information for you, but I hope you find answers.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:31:39 AM »
Send a letter to the author of the book and ask for specific definitive documentation on the effectiveness of this type of surgery.  Do you have time to wait for a response?  How long before he goes through with it?

Maybe the author Ty Bollinger could direct you to something specifically targeted for this type of cancer that might make your brother pay attention.

You can't feel guilty if you present info and the person doesn't listen, but don't give up.  If it were my brother, I'd tackle him and make him at least give me a listen before he made up his mind, but of course, I'm just that kind of gal.  ;D

Hang in there, pray and hope.

God Bless.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:05 AM »
Thanks, i'll give that a try.  I know he's scared about it. 

I know that he has that cat scan Nov 10th.  My mom tried to get him to take my DMSO that I have and just at leas rub that on it until he goes, you never know it might help.  But, he just said I'm a witchdoctor. :)  Pretty much everyone picks on me because I'm always giving my kids garlic for everything!   ;D  But hey, it works!

Wendy

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »
My Dad has renal (kidney) cancer that has moved to the bones in his back, shoulders & pelvis.  He's in pain all the time and his on moderately heavy pain medications 24/7.  He has had 3 major surgeries in the last year and the surgeons will not touch him any more because the tumors are very vascular. He bleeds so much on the table that they are certain he won't survive another tumor removal.

The only thing I can get him to do is the Budwig Protocol. He's only taking it because my Mom can make it for him every morning for breakfast and it tastes OK.  They also suspect it's high oil content is preventing him from being constipated while on all the major pain meds.

He won't do anything else that is not recommended by his oncologist.  The Budwig only made it in because he sees it as a food & not a treatment.  With our relationship and his personality, that is the end of discussion.  I can't change his mind and if I tried it would damage the relationship at a time when he needs it to join him to his grandkids.

I'm convinced there is a balance to maintain that is very specific to the people involved.

I may not have much to add to your case, but if you want to contact me with specific questions about Dad's treatments, I will tell you what I know.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 01:11:43 PM »
Thanks so much for the info.  I'm going to pass it on to my mom also.  He might listen to her more than me.  We aren't really close, we were when we were younger, but he is so stubborn I guess. 

I know he is in alot of pain, he is taking percoset. (sp?)  I will have to talk to him or have my mom see if he would try anything, at least as long as he is waiting for surgery.  He actually works for my husband, stone quarry, I don't think he can probably work since he is in alot of pain.

He said the doctors said they caught it pretty early, and the want to get it out before it spreads even more.  I think he said they said it is a fast moving type?  I'm not sure though. 

I may have some more questions for you after I talk to him, and see if he will try some stuff. 

Thanks,
Wendy

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:33:43 AM »
Well my brother had part of his kidney removed a few days before Thanksgiving.  He seems to be doing pretty good, he was in pain last week, but I think he is getting a little better everyday. 

So, hopefully this will take care of it, they said that it didn't spread and that they got it all.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 06:50:50 AM »
Well, my brother ended up back in the ER this morning.  He tried to go back to work today, and ended up not being able to stand up.  My dh and dad took him to the ER, they had to pretty much carry him. 

They just gave him some pain med and sent him home.  Is this normal after having surgery to remove part of his kidney??  We all told him he should probably stay off work but he said he was fine.

How long does it take to heal from this, anyone know?
Thanks
wendy

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 07:07:18 AM »
Remembering him in prayer today... 
J
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com