Author Topic: Getting Rid of Mice  (Read 26322 times)

Offline K.Sarah

• Adept
Re: Getting Rid of Mice
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 09:07:06 AM »
I'm going to have to try out all these solutions -- we've got mice all in our walls!  I've tried to ignore the signs, since it kind of grosses me out, but dh has seen them run across the dining room floor from one hole in the wall to another.  Then a week or so ago, I went to get out my box of flaxseed to add to the oatmeal for breakfast, and was surprised to find it all gone -- I didn't remember using it all.  Funny though, it was completely bare of any trace of flaxseed -- then I noticed the hole in the box and the plastic bag.  This was up in my shelves above the stove.  Yesterday I pulled a package of taco seasoning off my spice shelf, which is open to the kitchen where we can all see -- and yep, two little holes nibbled.  Not much gone, though -- guess they like flaxseed better than tacos!  Anyway, my cat is no help --I don't even like cats, so I don't know why he couldn't at least be useful!  Thanks for the info.

Happily married to my kind of guy, mama to 4 great  kiddos here and one little beauty with our Father.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 10:00:32 AM »
I'm going to have to try out all these solutions -- we've got mice all in our walls!  I've tried to ignore the signs, since it kind of grosses me out, but dh has seen them run across the dining room floor from one hole in the wall to another.  Then a week or so ago, I went to get out my box of flaxseed to add to the oatmeal for breakfast, and was surprised to find it all gone -- I didn't remember using it all.  Funny though, it was completely bare of any trace of flaxseed -- then I noticed the hole in the box and the plastic bag.  This was up in my shelves above the stove.  Yesterday I pulled a package of taco seasoning off my spice shelf, which is open to the kitchen where we can all see -- and yep, two little holes nibbled.  Not much gone, though -- guess they like flaxseed better than tacos!  Anyway, my cat is no help --I don't even like cats, so I don't know why he couldn't at least be useful!  Thanks for the info.

Sounds like puting all your food & spices into glass jars or metal tins w/TIGHT lids would help. ~herbalmom

Offline K.Sarah

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 11:25:22 AM »
I guess so . . . sigh.  Lots of work!  But better than having my food nibbled on. Gross. . .
Happily married to my kind of guy, mama to 4 great  kiddos here and one little beauty with our Father.

Offline SONBEAM

• Learning
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2006, 12:22:30 PM »
We too have a problem with the little critters.  To be so small they can make a big mess!  I don't won't to use poison because my SIL had an exterminator tell her that before the mouse dies it can excrete the poison in its feces.  If the kids come in contact with it, it can make them sick.  Also he said that when the feces dries or is vacuumed it can break apart and cause poisonous dust particles that can be breathed in.  I don't want to take any chances.
  I use the glue traps. I learned from experience to keep them well out of the reach of my little ones.  My husband is a very hairy man.  A few days of no shaving and he has a good bit of hair to get rid of before returning to work.  He would shave it off onto a towel so the sink won't clog up.  One day he forgot and left the towel on the bathroom counter.  We also had a glue trap behind the faucets on the same counter.  A little while later my 4 y/o son appears and holds up two very hairy hands and exclaims look mommy I'm hairy like daddy now!  He had used the glue from the trap to glue the hair my dh had left behind all over the back of his hands!  It took a whole lot of scrubbing to de-hair him!  We hide them real good now.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2006, 02:23:10 PM »
My husbands swears by his method.  He spits a big hocker on the trap and catches mice all the time.  Gross, but true, and  cheap too!
 :P :P :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 12:03:14 PM by DawnsEarlyBirds »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2006, 06:10:38 AM »
A little while later my 4 y/o son appears and holds up two very hairy hands and exclaims look mommy I'm hairy like daddy now!  He had used the glue from the trap to glue the hair my dh had left behind all over the back of his hands!  It took a whole lot of scrubbing to de-hair him!  We hide them real good now.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!  That's a good one.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2006, 06:27:04 AM »
My mom told me to use peppermint oil to deter the mice in our guest room (happens to be where they sleep when they visit! ) It works!  Here is one link of many.  Good luck.

I tried this yesterday....and when I opened my drawer in the kitchen this morning...there one was, just sitting there proud as can be...right where I had put the oil...chewing on a wash cloth.   I guess i must have done something wrong, or I have a bunch of Mighty Mouses cousins.  :-\

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2006, 08:16:32 AM »
My mom told me to use peppermint oil to deter the mice in our guest room (happens to be where they sleep when they visit! ) It works!  Here is one link of many.  Good luck.

I tried this yesterday....and when I opened my drawer in the kitchen this morning...there one was, just sitting there proud as can be...right where I had put the oil...chewing on a wash cloth.   I guess i must have done something wrong, or I have a bunch of Mighty Mouses cousins.  :-\

Yep....my mom tried out this and it has NOT WORKED at all for her.  Guess we should test it out BEFORE we pass it on :-)
"It becomes us to spend this life only as a journey toward Heaven....to
 which we should subordinate all other concerns of life.  Why should we
 labor for or set our hearts on anything else, but that which is our
 proper end and true happiness?" Jonathan Edwards

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2007, 09:40:15 AM »
This winter we became infested with mice.  Nothing seemed to work until we tried glue traps.  We add a tiny dab of peanut butter right in the middle.  Since Thanksgiving we have caught16 mice!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2007, 10:02:48 AM »
We finally got some traps.  We got 4 mice the first night in two traps!  My dh emptied them in the middle of the night.  The next night we got 2, and last night none.  We haven't seen any more, so we are hoping they are gone. ;D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2007, 06:15:04 AM »
dont' know if anyone else has mentioned this, but i found out about using rosemary on bulk herb store's site.  here's the article:

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/sharing-remedies/no-mice

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2007, 09:17:04 AM »
We live in a very old farm house with a basement that has dirt floors and stone walls.  Our house is surrounded by fields which also adds to the mice population.

So those pesty mice can easily get into our house. At one time they were so bad they were in and out of the drawers, pooping on the clothing and food, chewing open food stuffs, running around the floors and counter tops pooping,squeaking and chewing up everything from toilet paper, clothing, napkins, the trash, food  and shoes.

I was terrified they would come and chew/bite on my infant at that time because things like that have happened. I was having nightmares about them hurting my baby. I hated them.

It was becoming absolutely repulsive, unhealthy and unsafe. I am not the animal killing type, I feel to go out and murder animals for no reason is a waste but when it comes to the safety of my kids I will do what I have to to protect them from unsafe creatures.

Just making sure food is tightly put away does not matter much. They will crawl over the tops of your foods that are stored in cans and containers and poop all over them.

So my husband got so sick of it he got us some mouse poisoning and we laid it down in the basement all over the place so that way there was no worry about our baby getting into some. He put it all over the place down there.

Those stupid mice flocked towards it eating it right up. We had to go buy more and more. After a while we did not have to buy much anymore because it killed off most of the mice and the few that came in ate it and died off before they could  make babies all over the place. That was 6 years ago and I have not saw a mouse in the house since then. And there is no  longer mouse turds all over the place and drawers. Well I did see a dead mouse one time when the indoor tom cat somehow caught it.

Also we now have indoor and outdoor cats. They are active and keep the mice away. They also catch and kill the moles.

Offline jesslynn

• Learning
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 07:42:29 AM »
we live in the city so we have mice problems inside and rat problems outside and i am terrified of both! we tried snap traps and all they did was eat the peanut butter off them- all 5 traps 2 nights in a row. i hate the glue traps but that has worked better then anything so far. we have even tried poison and now we don't see them but i keep finding bright green mouse poo every where (this is the exact shade of the poison ). what i was wondering is has anyone ever tried the plug in things that make a sound they don't like and if so did they work? we have one old cat who used to be a great mouser but not anymore i would get a second cat if i knew it would catch the mice!
What so ever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »
They work for a while, then the mice get used to the sound.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
Cats who have lived out of doors are the best mousers.  They'd much rather play with a mouse than any cat toy you can give them.  We 'adopted' an old cat that roamed the neighborhood (he actually adopted us) and he is an amazing hunter.  He has to live outside, because the fleas down here are awful.  And it's his preference to be out of doors in the summer anyway...and far away from the baby  :D  He doesn't like how excited she gets when she sees him coming. :)

One the mice know the cat is around, they'll either move on or get eaten.  But if you're going to get a cat, make sure you don't poison the mice first.    :-X

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 10:43:46 PM »
Does anyone have a suggestion for what kind (brand) of mouse poison to use?  We've been using the glue traps and catching mice, but we are suddenly overrun...I had a mouse run across my chest at 1:00 this morning!

We wouldn't be opposed to getting a cat, but with a 1yo, we want to make sure that the kid and cat would get along...and that's a big risk to run if we just "go out and get a cat." 

Any brands to recommend?  We frankly don't have the cash flow to try something and have it fail.

TIA,
Jeni

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2008, 03:46:55 AM »
Jeni,
Last year we got overrun with mice. They were breeding in the space between our ground floor and basement ceiling. It was so gross and they were in everything (we also had a mouse or two run across the bed). Some nights we would catch up to 8 mice. The pet snake was eating well, but I was stressed by it. When I couldn't take it any more, I poured D-Con mouse poison into the holes they had chewed in our walls so that it would be on the way down to their breeding area and the problem stopped.
It came in a pack with 2 dispensers of small blue pellets. I only used one. I think it was under $10.

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 05:12:52 AM »
Jeni,
Last year we got overrun with mice. They were breeding in the space between our ground floor and basement ceiling. It was so gross and they were in everything (we also had a mouse or two run across the bed). Some nights we would catch up to 8 mice. The pet snake was eating well, but I was stressed by it. When I couldn't take it any more, I poured D-Con mouse poison into the holes they had chewed in our walls so that it would be on the way down to their breeding area and the problem stopped.
It came in a pack with 2 dispensers of small blue pellets. I only used one. I think it was under $10.

Is there a problem with dead mouse smell with this?  I read the boxes (we are also experiencing mouse problems) and they say to remove the dead mice after poisoning.  We went with traps, but seem to be avoiding them now--I guess they are pretty smart!
Thanks for your help!

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2008, 04:29:24 AM »
Bump--hoping someone knows the answer, my house already has a strange smell, I wouldn't want to add to it!

Is there a problem with dead mouse smell with this? (mouse poison) I read the boxes (we are also experiencing mouse problems) and they say to remove the dead mice after poisoning.  We went with traps, but they seem to be avoiding them now--I guess they are pretty smart!
Thanks for your help!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 04:32:45 PM »
We have had a problem with mice lately. We live in an area that's zoned agricultural so there are a lot of mice outside. (Lots of foxes also which feed on the mice but that's a different story) So with the cold weather, some of them have gotten into the house.

In the last week we have came up with 2 great mouse 'traps' but they might not work for everybody. ;)

Keep in mind while reading this that all our kids are teen & adult so we didn't have to worry about them getting into anything they shouldn't.

The first one requires a mouse that hides in a heating duct but comes out every now & then, a spoon of peanut butter & a determined cat.  ;) ;D The cat had been staking out the heating vent (the dogs had been also) but the mouse kept poking it's nose out or running out, teasing the animals but kept running back into the vent before they could get it. So oldest DS removed the cover, left a spoon of peanut butter right at the edge of the duct & left the cat (we locked the dogs out of the room- if they aren't supervised they will tear apart a wall trying to get to the mouse- Dachshunds are bred to hunt Badgers) to stake out the duct. Sure enough, that cat brought DD (he's her cat) the 'ultimate' gift- a still kicking mouse that had peanut butter on it's face.  ;D (& the peanut butter in the spoon has been nibbled on) DD was able to convince the cat that he could keep his gift  ;) & he ate it- thankfully he didn't drop it at her feet so it didn't have a chance to get away.  :D

The second 'trap' requires a bag of flour & a determined Dachshund. We store some of our food on a restaurant style (Metro style) wire shelving unit in the kitchen. I had a new, sealed 5 lb bag of *gasp* white (actually, it's unbleached- does that make it WTM approved?  ;)) flour. I hadn't thought anything about it & it's in my upstairs kitchen (house used to be an up/down duplex) which before today the mice hadn't been in. Well, today a mouse found it, ate a hole in the bag & first 2 of the cats & then Thumper (our Dachshund) had the shelving unit staked out. The flour was on a higher shelf & the mouse kept teasing the animals but getting away. So DD figured she would pour the flour (since the bag was ruined anyways) into a small box (shoebox size) & leave it where the animals could get to it figuring that the mouse would go back to it & knowing that the animals would keep it staked out at that point. What she DIDN'T know is that the mouse was INSIDE the bag at the time. Thumper was watching her pour the flour into the box & when the mouse surfaced in the flour Thumper pounced & ate it in one gulp.  :o ;D That mouse didn't have a chance. Thumper manged to get COVERED in flour & he was funny to see- a black Dachshund covered in while flour & very hyped because not only did he get the mouse, he was looking for more mice.  :D :D   

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2008, 06:49:39 AM »
My method isn't nearly as humane as herbalmom but we have successfully used glue traps (inside) and snap traps (outside). But you have to make a alleyway of sorts for the glue traps. And have to be willing to drown a rat/mouse after you find them the next day. The snap traps work, but need to be placed near the area they live. We have used prunes as a good bait. Lately we have resorted to poison cubes (tired of setting traps) for the garage. We put them where the kids can't get them and then smell stinky, decomposing rats for the next week or so. They can be very distructive, chewing wires in cars and such.  We may get rid of the poisin soon and get a cat, but the neighbors don't like cats that much, so who knows.
Tennille

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »
Little boys at my house get 25 cents per mouse, in a trap.  They get 50 cents if they use their bb guns.

Little boys, bb guns and mice are an afternoon's pastime when things are dull.  Peanut butter is great for enticement (for the mice).

Offline BettaGurl3

• I used to be BettaGurl3
  • Master
  • I LOVE HORSES!
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2008, 05:33:22 PM »
Little boys at my house get 25 cents per mouse, in a trap.  They get 50 cents if they use their bb guns.

Little boys, bb guns and mice are an afternoon's pastime when things are dull.  Peanut butter is great for enticement (for the mice).

Do they use the BB guns in the house??   :o Sounds like it would work :) 8)!   -bettagurl3

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »
Not in the house!  Garage only, or in the garden (for chippies).

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2008, 07:38:55 PM »
My method isn't nearly as humane as herbalmom but we have successfully used glue traps (inside) and snap traps (outside). But you have to make a alleyway of sorts for the glue traps. And have to be willing to drown a rat/mouse after you find them the next day.

We use glue traps also when we do use traps. The one time I tried to drown a mouse that was caught the glue in the trap released the mouse & it almost climbed out of the bucket I had the water in.  :-\ I ended up having to take the mouse out of the bucket & smash it with a shovel to keep it from getting back in the house.  >:( That was years ago but I never tried drowning a mouse caught in a glue trap again. Now I let my guys take care of it.  ;)

We have had a problem with mice lately. We live in an area that's zoned agricultural so there are a lot of mice outside. (Lots of foxes also which feed on the mice but that's a different story) So with the cold weather, some of them have gotten into the house.

In the last week we have came up with 2 great mouse 'traps' but they might not work for everybody. ;)

Keep in mind while reading this that all our kids are teen & adult so we didn't have to worry about them getting into anything they shouldn't.

The first one requires a mouse that hides in a heating duct but comes out every now & then, a spoon of peanut butter & a determined cat.  ;) ;D The cat had been staking out the heating vent (the dogs had been also) but the mouse kept poking it's nose out or running out, teasing the animals but kept running back into the vent before they could get it. So oldest DS removed the cover, left a spoon of peanut butter right at the edge of the duct & left the cat (we locked the dogs out of the room- if they aren't supervised they will tear apart a wall trying to get to the mouse- Dachshunds are bred to hunt Badgers) to stake out the duct. Sure enough, that cat brought DD (he's her cat) the 'ultimate' gift- a still kicking mouse that had peanut butter on it's face.  ;D (& the peanut butter in the spoon has been nibbled on) DD was able to convince the cat that he could keep his gift  ;) & he ate it- thankfully he didn't drop it at her feet so it didn't have a chance to get away.  :D

The second 'trap' requires a bag of flour & a determined Dachshund. We store some of our food on a restaurant style (Metro style) wire shelving unit in the kitchen. I had a new, sealed 5 lb bag of *gasp* white (actually, it's unbleached- does that make it WTM approved?  ;)) flour. I hadn't thought anything about it & it's in my upstairs kitchen (house used to be an up/down duplex) which before today the mice hadn't been in. Well, today a mouse found it, ate a hole in the bag & first 2 of the cats & then Thumper (our Dachshund) had the shelving unit staked out. The flour was on a higher shelf & the mouse kept teasing the animals but getting away. So DD figured she would pour the flour (since the bag was ruined anyways) into a small box (shoebox size) & leave it where the animals could get to it figuring that the mouse would go back to it & knowing that the animals would keep it staked out at that point. What she DIDN'T know is that the mouse was INSIDE the bag at the time. Thumper was watching her pour the flour into the box & when the mouse surfaced in the flour Thumper pounced & ate it in one gulp.  :o ;D That mouse didn't have a chance. Thumper manged to get COVERED in flour & he was funny to see- a black Dachshund covered in while flour & very hyped because not only did he get the mouse, he was looking for more mice.  :D :D   

I'm not so sure that our cat & dog 'mouse traps' are quite so humane. As it turned out, the mice WEREN'T coming in because of the cold & it wasn't just 2.  >:( City workers had removed a man hole cover nearby & disturbed a nest of 100's of mice  :o :o so the whole neighborhood has had a mouse problem lately. Our 14 y/o saw them remove the man hole cover, watched 100's of mice pour out & was even chased by the mice but didn't think to mention it.  ::) ::) We live in an old house that has a walk out basement with garage door- lots of ways for mice to get in. The animals have had a blast chasing & eating mice but like I said, I'm not so sure that a snap trap isn't more humane than being in a house with 3 cats & 2 dogs. We have had mice so scared running around that they run right into a dog's open mouth; the cats play with them sometimes without killing them; they are wounded but get away only to get eaten later; etc. The animals have done a FANTASTIC job hunting the mice but I do feel a little sorry for the mice after seeing so many in a short length of time.

Thumper has had an absolute blast & has proven to be the best hunter.  :D :D We had a few days where the animals got lots of mice but thankfully, they are almost gone. Thank you, Lord. I think most of the ones in the neighborhood are also gone at this point. We have foxes & at least one owl in our neighborhood so I'm sure they have been well fed lately.  ;) The temp got below zero last night & despite that, we only had 2 mice today (that both became doggy snacks  ;)) so I think they are just about gone. It's been kinda stressful though, every time the dogs go after one we have to drop what we are doing & go check on the dog(s) b/c Thumper (our Dachshund) gets so excited & into hunting mode that he will try to tear up a wall, door frame, door, etc to get to the mice. He's starting to understand that 1) we don't want him tearing things up & 2) we will help him get to the mouse so he's settled down some.

So needless to say, our pet food costs have gone down recently.  ;) ;) Personally though, I would rather skip the mice & pay the extra for their food.  ;) :D 

Blessings ~herbalmom