Author Topic: Diatomaceous Earth [DE] for Internal Cleansing [Parasites]  (Read 97203 times)

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
Diatomaceous Earth [DE] for Internal Cleansing [Parasites]
« on: October 17, 2008, 06:07:34 AM »
Hi - I know there are several topics for DE - but didn't think any were this specific?  If it needs to be moved or merged, then I won't cry.   ;D

I want to know, specifically, if anyone has used this - or do you know "someone" who has used this and actually SEEN results.   :o

I read somewhere that 85%+ of Americans have parasites of some sort, and after all the years with animals (goats, dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, etc) I would be AMAZED if I didn't...

For giggles, I tried a parasite cleanse a few months ago, but didn't notice anything strange, if you know what I mean.  In fairness, we were really busy, so I didn't take the product the full 30 days, so maybe that was why?  Or maybe I just don't have parasites...? 

Anyway, I bought a new, 6 pound bag of food-grade DE for our animals... and am thinking I may become a guinea pig for everyone here at WTM... as long as no one has a good reason why I shouldn't!? 

AS IN:  Does anyone know of this making a person sick??   ;D

Ok, hitting "post" now...  <whistling>
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
Re: Diatomaceous Earth [DE] for Internal Cleansing [Parasites]
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:12:18 AM »
OK... so, this is where I ordered mine - and this is, specifically, a write up concerning the use of DE for humans...  I am gonna try it.   ;D

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/de_human.html
J

www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 06:31:17 AM »
Ok... So I didn't wait for any replies.   :D  When I get in one of these moods to try something, I have found I better just do it, or I may chicken out.

It wasn't horrible.  Wasn't great either.  I mixed it in a bit of water - and it looked like clay water.  I drank it down quickly, and it tasted a bit like dirt or clay, to add to the charm.  It is slightly gritty.   ;D

Now I will wait and see if I get the runs, cramps, vomit... or if all goes along smoothly.  (hehe)

I know for dogs, DE is proven to rid them of worms within 10 days... so as long as I don't have any funny symptoms, I will take this for at least 10 days. 

The above link did say some people have detox symptoms... ?  Anyone else try this?  I know I saw someone on here who brushes their teeth with DE.   ;D
J
www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:47:41 AM »
I'm officially watching this - please keep us up to date on how this goes for you.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »
I second the motion!  ;D

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »
I had read that you can just put DE in your baking to control parasites.  I have never tried it personally but am also very interested in your results.   Keep us posted. 
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:57:53 PM »
In the above website (link) I found this interesting snippet:

"A study done by Acres, USA, Inc. advised that after 12 months of grain storage, the food grade diatomaceous earth treated material had 15 insects, compared to 4884 for malathion and 16,994 for untreated grain." 

It would make sense that treating grain products with a bit of DE would be beneficial - both for food storage, as well as a supplement/parasite removal internally...  We shall see.   ;)

Ok, so far, I have not had any unpleasant "surprises", digestively speaking.   ;D  I did do something a little dumb though, and started a cleanse today as well, so am not sure if my rather persistant headache this evening is a detox from the DE, from the cleanse... or just because I have been SUPER busy with business/computer stuff today??   ???

I plan to go hunting tomorrow morning, and maybe again in the evening... so hope I don't have any tummy troubles.   ;D
J
www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »
I just saw this on here today and I want to encourage you to continue to take the DE this way!  I took a Tbs. of food grade DE in water for 5 years to help in eliminating heavy metals and I am extremely pleased with the results.  (and, YES, it tastes like dirt) ;)

I didn't notice any parasites, but have no symptoms of infestations either. 

I have had much fewer symptoms of stored heavy metals, particularly the nickel and radiation that I am so allergic to.  The homeopath/MD that treats me was noncommittal about me taking DE and not sure it would have any positive effect.  He said it wouldn't do any harm.  I have much lower levels of metals than I did before taking the DE.

The year that I began taking it, in 2000, I spoke with a researcher who was doing some studies on the effectiveness of DE for treating a couple of conditions in humans, including parasites, heavy metal storage, arthritis, and others.  I was not a part of the study, and I'm sorry that I cannot remember his name nor find any information by googling. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 05:20:11 AM »
I ended up stopping the DE after 4-5 days, as I was having strong detox symptoms.  (Felt like I had the flu; runs, sore skin, sore throat -- and it only came on mid-afternoon, each day...?)

I don't necessarily believe it was the DE, as I was doing a cleanse at the same time -- but have done the cleanse before and didn't have such strong symptoms.  I decided to stop the DE and am waiting a couple weeks before resuming; that way if I start feeling the detox again, like before, I will know if it was the DE or not.
J
www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 06:05:06 AM »
J -

I forgot to bring my bucket of DE in to start taking it again, so I'm glad this thread came up again.    Oh, yummy!  Dirt soup again. 

I'm curious, too, about your reaction and wonder if it was the DE causing herxheimer reaction.  How much were you taking?    I wonder if you might have an easier time starting with a small amount daily and building up?    Hhhmmmm   :-\   

For me, if I know I'm going to have a reaction I would just as soon go for it and get through it full tilt!   ;D   :P
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 06:13:18 AM »
Yeah, normally I would be game enough to get through the detox sypmtoms, but I have been hunting/hiking A LOT and I totally wimped out.  <grin>
J
www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 08:27:39 PM »
Starting over...  I took my first dose this evening, and am drinking plenty of water/tea, so will see if I end up with strong detox symptoms.  Have the family doing this too!  (Ok, so they are not as enthusiastic about it... LOL)
J
www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 04:58:21 AM »
Oh, one other thing...my 3 teenagers think I'm NUTS!!!  They seriously can't believe I'm taking this stuff, and were adamant that I NEVER try to sneak it into any baked goods!  :D I should have had WTM when they were little!! ;)
LOL, ROTF, this sounds just like a conversation that could take place at our house!

Very interesting thread. I'm tempted to try it myself!...Maybe in the baking...HAHA?...

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »
RUNAMOKFARM--- how did it go?

I am currently researching using food grade DE on myself and our cats, dogs and chickens.

Which form of DE is for external uses for killing off fleas?

Is it the food grade DE that we are to use on the dogs fur for fleas?

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 06:29:51 AM »
Hi BJ_Bobbi_Jo!

Well, I didn't "see" evidence of parasites, if you know what I mean  ;D - but the detox symptoms went more smoothly the second time around and I didn't feel too crummy.  The husband, kids, dogs and I have continued to take this off and on *as a supplement and possible parasite removal. 

Glad this came up again, as it is time for all of us to start over for a couple weeks. 

As to the fleas.  We use the same, food-grade DE for sprinkling on the dogs' coats (if we think there might be a need) -- but in honesty, we haven't seen a flea in nearly 4 years.  (Yeah, yeah... that whole "species-appropriate diet for the dogs, yada, yada, yada" talk - LOL)   :D

So far, I haven't found any negatives with using DE -- and, considering the dogs' diets, we haven't seen any parasites in a looooong time - but maybe the DE has helped a bit?
J

www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 07:11:43 AM »
I dont understand why DE isnt more well known if it works so well. But the research sure confirms it is a good product.

I go pick up a 50 pound bag of it tomorrow down the road at a feed co-op.

To use it as a parasite fighter do  the kids and I just put a bit in some water and drink it every day? I wonder about how much would I use for the kids?

I assume for my cats, dogs and chickens that I put it in their water dishes.

Offline Rene

• Adept
  • Crucified with Christ! :)
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »
Glad this came up again, as it is time for all of us to start over for a couple weeks. 

How much do you take daily? 
(
  )
 (
__
\_/o   Rene' Helpmeet to Billy - 13  years!! Homeschooling Momma to Anna - 12, Melissa - 9, and Holly - 7

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »
BJ_Bobbi_Jo,

Well, I did some quick calculations and think I know the answer to your first question.  I purchased a 6# bag last year - with shipping, it cost me under $30 - At the rate we are going, I will have enough for several YEARS. 

Now, I could purchase, "Frontline" or "Advantage" from our local vet(topical, chemical flea/tick poisons):  A three month supply to cover each of our dogs would cost me approximately $110 - $115.  (That, of course, doesn't do anything for internal parasites, nor will it safely treat my family, my garden, or my home - were I to need any flea removal in my home.)

So...  Who is to benefit??  I believe THAT is precisely the reason we only hear about these wonderful, natural remedies on places like WTM!   ;)

HOW MUCH TO TAKE FOR PEOPLE?
For my husband, myself, and oldest child we take a rounded TBS in a small amount of water -- then drink a bit more "clear" water as the DE is a little "gritty".   ;D  The younger kids take a little over a tsp in water.

HOW MUCH/HOW TO GIVE FOR PETS?
I usually put it on our pet's food - Of course, we feed raw foods, so when I sprinkle the DE on the food, it just sticks to the food and they eat it all.   ;D

You can check this link out here:  http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html as they have some great information on dosage, how to's, etc.
J
www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
Thank you so much Runamok that site has a lot of goof info. Ya know with all the good stuff Im reading about DE it's a wonder it doesnt raise people from the dead when sprinkled on a grave yard. LOL. Im fully expecting to find out it cures cancer, heart disease, diaebetes and death itself next.  :D

That is great tho that it's non toxic and I dont have to worry about it harming the kids or animals. I plan on attacking the animals with it tomorrow ASAP.

I hope I can get the DE to reach the huskies skin because  his fur is ultra thick. Im wondering if him ingesting the DE  might someone how help him repell fleas?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 11:56:04 AM »
1 more question.

When your dogs took the DE did they have diarrhea due to the parasites dying?

Just wonder because if so I'll try to keep the dogs outside as much as possible.

Offline srkfan1

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »
Okay, I don't want to sound lazy here but I am totally overwhelmed. I'm not SURE that we all have parasites but almost sure after what I've seen in my 2 year old's and my stool. Some things looked pretty big so I would say round worms....I don't think pinworms get 3 inches long, do they?

Anyway, we has stool tests done and are awaiting results from the doc. In the meantime I am freaking out....I feel like I have to clean the toilets every time someone uses it and the bathtub too. We are also trying to steam clean the carpets and the furniture, as well as the floors and I'm trying to only use towels once, clean the sheets everyday and I know I must be washing my hands 100 times a day easily. Can this stuff live in carpets and on upholstery? We don't have pets and we're not sure where it came from....either my child digging in the dirt with his hands and not having them clean enough before sticking them in his mouth (I've begged him hundreds of times not to do that) or maybe when we went to visit relatives from their dogs/cats. My mother in law had a cat that just died (had lost a lot of weight beforehand) and she doesn't know why (she was really old though). I know that she doesn't have a working vacuum and hasn't cleaned her carpets or furniture is probably 10-15 years easy.

So I'm wondering, is what I'm doing cleaning wise overkill or necessary and how long do I keep it up? If the Dr. prescribes stuff to us will it definitley get rid of it? How long will it take to get rid of these?

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 02:00:19 PM »
First, don't panic!  While it sounds terrible, parasites are simply a fact of life. Actually, somewhere between 85% - 90% of Americans have some form of parasite or another.

Your doctor will likely prescribe a chemical to rid your family of worms - these DO work, and basic commonsense cleaning will help... but in truth, reinfection is more than likely, unless you understand the lifecycle of the parasites you are dealing with and its common form of transmission.  Once your doctor tells you what kind(s) of parasite these are (if they are long and thin, looking similar to spaghetti, or "coiled" around like a spring, these would likely be roundworms), then you can research their lifecycle and formulate an educated plan of attack.  =)

You will probably need to do two basic treatments, a couple weeks apart, as the adult parasites will be killed with the initial deworming, however the eggs are often resistant to the dewormer; once they hatch, if they are not killed, they will lay more eggs and completely reinfest the "host".  If you use the dewormer again, after the eggs hatch, then you will (in most cases) get all the little buggers. 

There is a natural product you can get that is completely safe for humans as well as pets.  It is called food-grade "diatomaceous earth"; there are several threads going here on WTM regarding its uses and the benefits.  I, personally, would use this over any chemical deworming agent your doctor would recommend -- but that is me.  (It is clinically proven to kill off internal parasites though, and it has NO chemical side-effects, as it is not a poison at all.)

NOTE: A lot of folks jump to conclusions that parasitic infestation most likely came from a pet (or from a family-member's pet) that was licking the child, in most cases, I would completely disagree, as that is contrary to the transmission mode of most common pet parasites.  Unless the child is eating the animal's feces, parasite transmission from this source is more than unlikely, in my opinion.  *I say this because pets are often given a bad reputation in this area, when in fact, they are WAY more beneficial to a child's mental, emotional and social development than they are a physical health risk...

The fact is that parasites of all kinds can be found EVERYWHERE.  Common places for children to pick up parasites are: sandboxes (where cats tend to enjoy relieving themselves); grass (where rabbits, deer, squirrels, dogs, cats) go potty (some tiny parasites crawl from the animal's poo up the grass blades in hopes that a rabbit or other herbivore will eat the grass, ingesting the worm, so it can continue its lifecycle); porch handrails where birds (such as little sparrows) can leave tiny droppings... 

Unless we live in a sterile environment, it would be impossible to avoid contact with all parasites.  I think every family should consider using DE a couple times per year, just as a basic cleanse and possible parasite removal system... and no, I don't sell DE.  (At least not at this time - but we are considering offering it to all our puppy owners - LOL)   ;D

Hope this helps,
Jaque

www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 02:10:24 PM »
BJ - sorry I never got around to answering you!  No, I never noticed our dogs having the runs. 

I am glad the parasite talk was started up again, as it is a reminder to run the whole RunAmok crew on DE for a week... just in case!   ;)
J
www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 06:49:52 AM »
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:6mCbaY_liI4J:fossilshellflour.blogspot.com/+drinking+fossil+flour&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

That is a link for a site that talks about the stories of those who have used fossil flour (diatomaceous earth-food grade). If anyone is interrested in the parasite killing affects of it then scroll down and start reading where it says 1/21/06, the person makes short notes on what they noticed throughout several months of parasite cleansing by using the fossil flour.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 07:00:55 AM »
Anybody have any research that explains why it's okay to eat this stuff when it's so problematic for insects?

The way I understand it--it kills insects is an infiltration through the exoskeleton with sharp edges.  If the edges are sharp and fine enough to penetrate this, then what's to stop it from poking holes in the intestines?

Remember the research on homogenized milk?  -- broken fat molecules become sharp and perforate the intestines and move into the blood stream and the other organs.

I've heard that many people have had great results from using this, but this particular question nags me.  I'm just not convinced.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
You and me both. 

I've not ever taken it internally for similar reasons (milk-homogenization-cuts-intestines-theories.)

(I'm also not convinced that it even retains its microscopically sharp edges once it's wet.  Intestines = wet.) 

Anyone with more insight?

I've heard that many people have had great results from using this, but this particular question nags me.  I'm just not convinced.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 09:25:45 AM »
I've always doubted this because of the "doesn't work when it's wet" issue, too.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »
From a practical application standpoint, it does still work when "wet", as it can be watered down and painted on the base of fruit trees to kill insects crawling up the tree trunks. 

When fed to livestock (horses, cattle, etc) the DE retains its structure even after passing through the digestive tract... how do we know?  Once it hits the ground in the "horse apples" or "cow pies", it kills off the flies that are trying to lay eggs in the manure.  This is one of the major reasons many ranchers swear by it, as it keeps the fly population down in their barns. 

As to the other questions about taking internally...  I haven't had time to research the technical aspects, however I think it has been sucessfully used in both the human/farm industry long enough to make me comfortable with using it for our family -- and I am not one to even take tylenol because of the concerns I have... so pretty confident it is safe. 

When I have a few extra moments, I will see if I can drum up any additional information that might answer the "safety" issue in a scientific way.
J
www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
I always was figuring that the benefit to making a slurry for your trees came *after it became dry again.*  Adding water allows you to paint it or spray it where you want it and then when it dries it regains its sharpness and is effective against the bugs.  Same with the animal poop thing.  As soon as the "meadow muffins"    ;D   are dry, the DE can work its magic again, keeping flies and eggs to a minimum.

Maybe that doesn't even make any sense.   ::)  Wouldn't be a first!

From a practical application standpoint, it does still work when "wet", as it can be watered down and painted on the base of fruit trees to kill insects crawling up the tree trunks. 

When fed to livestock (horses, cattle, etc) the DE retains its structure even after passing through the digestive tract... how do we know?  Once it hits the ground in the "horse apples" or "cow pies", it kills off the flies that are trying to lay eggs in the manure.  This is one of the major reasons many ranchers swear by it, as it keeps the fly population down in their barns. 

As to the other questions about taking internally...  I haven't had time to research the technical aspects, however I think it has been sucessfully used in both the human/farm industry long enough to make me comfortable with using it for our family -- and I am not one to even take tylenol because of the concerns I have... so pretty confident it is safe. 

When I have a few extra moments, I will see if I can drum up any additional information that might answer the "safety" issue in a scientific way.
J

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »
Well, I'm not passing anaconda sized parasites yet since I started drinking it in some water but I have noticed an increase in needing to use the bathroom and it seems to be bulking things up. I thought I saw 1 long stringy thing that may or may not have been a parasite. I just don't know at this point.

If I was brave enough and did not have so much to do I'd take black walnut with the DE to help speed up the parasite killing but that would do me in and make me real weak and sick for a while and I don't have a while to spare.

I started it the other night on a full moon but I don't understand the reason behind having to do that. Is it for old superstitious reasons or does it have to do with the atmosphere?  ???  ???  ???