Author Topic: Anti-Candida Diets...Daily Log for Encouragement  (Read 289183 times)

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
Re: Anti-Candida Diets...Daily Log for Encouragement
« Reply #270 on: March 30, 2009, 05:25:21 AM »
Wow - Our little group is growing by leaps and bounds!  Welcome, linemansgirl.  Rebecca and linemansgirl - it sounds like having the whole family doing the cleanse at the same time will be beneficial from a cooking perspective (only have to make one set of meals) and from a "not as hard to cheat" perspective (easier to cheat when no-no food is readily available, as Jemima has found out).  But I think it will be more difficult if/when everyone has nasty die-off symptoms at the same time, so may God strengthen you and prepare you for that.

Yesterday was day 29, and was a weird one.  The moment I dropped DS off at the church nursery, I started feeling so tired I could barely keep my eyes open.  This could be due to the fact that I am under tremendous amounts of stress (starting a new business and down to my last few dollars, still waiting for paying clients) and the hour church service without a baby was the first time in weeks that I wasn't going, going, going.  So I'm not sure whether to attribute it to the cleanse or not.  But as the day progressed I got more and more tired and felt more and more weak, periodically having to lay down on the floor just because standing up required too much energy.  So I went to bed at 8 and am staying home from the office today.  Today it'll be chamomile tea, chicken soup, and the BRAT diet (minus the B, A, and T).  Almost wondering if I should buy some Floradix for extra iron...but I'm eating 2-3 servings of protein each day, and one of them is always beef/buffalo/bison..??

Glad you're jumping right back on the bandwagon, Jemima.  Best of luck not giving in today.  The farther I get in the cleanse, the less likely it is I'll cheat because I don't want to waste all the time I've already put in.  Haven't cheated yet, but sometimes I'm not entirely consistent in my supplements (specifically the charcoal and anti-yeast supplements - really hope that's not negatively impacting my results).  So hopefully you'll get more and more resolve as time goes on.  How is everyone else doing?
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #271 on: March 30, 2009, 05:52:38 AM »
Well, today is the day to get started!  I had Bee's Egg Drink for breakfast.  It was OK, nothing to write home about! :)   it isn't what I would want for breakfast every day, but would be OK a couple times a week.  My 3yodd really liked it, so it will be an easy way of getting CO into her! ;)  I am guessing that my 15 month old would probably like it too.  I would be hesitant about giving her the raw eggs, but they would be partially cooked with the boiling water.  Plus the eggs come from our own organic, free range chickens.

I hadn't really thought about everyone experiencing the yeast die-off at once!  We should be fine though.  We homeschool and stay pretty close to home, so we could take it easy if we are all feeling yucky.  My dh will have to go to work though, so hopefully he does OK. 

I ordered my supplements.  I already take NOW Special 2, NOW B Complex and CLO.  I will be adding CO and garlic, which I already have and was able to do today.  I ordered NSI Candida Yeast Management (the same thing as Candex except considerably cheaper), NSI Herbal Liver Support (It contains dandelion, mild thistle and a couple other safe for nursing and gentle cleansing herbs), NSI Probiotic 15 - 35 w/FOS (NutraFlora), and aloe vera capsules.  I will buy some raw pumpkin seeds from our co-op to properly soak and dry to snack on.  That is what I will start off with and I may reevaluate after a couple weeks.  I am buying oregano oil and clove oil to mix with CO and rub on the bottoms of my girls' feet, so I will probably rub it on my own feet too! :D

It sounds like you are doing great Mamatoto!!!!  I hope that you feel better soon!

Keep going Jemima!  It is so hard, but will be so worth it!

Good luck with getting your family started Rebecca!  I will be on my own for the next two weeks, then my family will join me!
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #272 on: March 31, 2009, 02:10:01 AM »
I am also planning on starting an anti-yeast regimen on Monday.  I am currently nursing my 15mo dd, and am hoping to get pregnant again in the next few months.  I would first like to get rid of the yeast once and for all............ we will see.  This isn't my first time down this road, but I don't think I tried long and hard enough last time.  It is seems so much harder since I have been continually pregnant and/or nursing for the last 9 1/2 years. 

I know what you mean...it seems like I am always pregnant or nursing, so kinda hard to stick to, and hard to read through all the threads, but I am really trying this time.

I started Monday and have to read more to figure out how to eat w/o consuming too much meat.  We had eggs with spinach an doninons for breakfast, salmon and eggs with kale for lunch, and went to my aunts for dinner and had broccoli, chicken and salad.  That's 3x more meat than I usually eat in a WEEK. Gross. My entire family is on it....well, my 9 and 11 year old "accidentally" ate ketchup last night. :)

My toddler is a bread lover...he was begging for crackers all day long. It made me feel terrible. But I persisted. This morning he doesn't feel well. He kind of coughed/threw up a mucousy looking clump of stuff. Now he says his head hurts. (almost 3) Does anyone have experience with this? I mean all he ever eats usually is carbs. Potatoes, grains, granola type bars, etc. We don't eat white sugar, but he has plenty of honey, etc.

I felt GREAT all day yesterday, so I think it was like properly combining for me, but we'll see how today is. So far so good, for me. One day down, how many to go?????

Thanks for all the suggestions, and research ya'll have done.

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #273 on: March 31, 2009, 04:03:54 AM »
It sounds like you had a great first day Rebecca!

I had moments when I had a slight headache and felt irritable.  It was usually fixed by eating a snack.  I woke up covered in sweat in the middle of the night last night.  BUT..... I lost 5 lb yesterday!!!!!!  I am sure that most of it was water weight, because I made sure to eat plenty.  I both lose and gain weight very easily.  Since November I have gained back 15 of the lb. that I lost after dd#4 was born.  Weight loss isn't my main goal, but is a nice bonus!  I would like to lose 20-25 lb, but hope to not go lower than that because dh doesn't want me to. 

I am working on gathering up recipes before all of my family starts.  I am fine with monotony, but dh won't be!  Last week I made kale chips from this recipe - http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2009/03/salt-and-vinegahkale-chips.html  My two youngest daughters and I loved them!  My dh bought a couple bunches of kale for me last night to make them again.  I use Bragg's ACV, but I still can't decide whether to just skip it and season them otherwise.  I don't have a long time to do this, so I want to do it right while I can!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:05:28 AM by linemansgirl »
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #274 on: March 31, 2009, 04:27:29 AM »
Jemima- I forgot to write yesterday that overall, I would pat yourself on the back for a good weekend.  You indulged in honeydew :) and chocolate chips :( BUT you held strong against yummy BBQ meal ;D ;D ;D 

Rebecca- Are you eating brown rice?  If so, you might look for some puffed rice cakes or brown rice crackers for your toddler to snack on.  Unfortunately, most rice crackers I've found have other unacceptable ingredients (in general, not just cleanse-wise), but I was able to find a couple decent options.

Linemansgirl- I love your idea to rub oregano oil and clove oil on your feet!  I may have to try it myself.

Wendy- How are you?

As for me... After a day of resting (as much as is possible with a 9-month old) and napping, I feel much better today!  My biggest challenge going into the homestretch is coming up with snacks.  I was doing pretty good until last Saturday, when I decided that I was so sick of eating almonds, seeds, and chopped veggies that I didn't want to eat them again for a very, very long time.  In fact, I literally couldn't make myself swallow the snacks I brought to the office, so went hungry for most of the day.  So this week I tried to be super creative with my snacks: a roasted pumpkin seed dip for my crackers; a carrot sunflower seed dip for my veggies; and more veggie/seed/nori crackers, but this time with guacamole and "sour cream" to top them with.  I made a raw almond-based sour cream and, while it's definitely not nearly as good as the real stuff, it's not bad for a substitute.  The problem is that all these things take time to prep and make, and since DS and I are in the office Monday through Saturday, that leaves Sunday to get all my food ready for the week - and this Sunday I felt horrid.  Oh well, that's behind me and hopefully this week's snacks will be better than last week's.  Jemima- What have you been snacking on? 

These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #275 on: March 31, 2009, 04:33:58 AM »
Last week I made kale chips from this recipe - http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2009/03/salt-and-vinegahkale-chips.html  My two youngest daughters and I loved them!  My dh bought a couple bunches of kale for me last night to make them again.  I use Bragg's ACV, but I still can't decide whether to just skip it and season them otherwise.

I just read this (must have been typing while you posted) and they sound yummy!  I"m putting them on the list for next week's snacks  8)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #276 on: March 31, 2009, 05:11:16 AM »
Hi everyone, well, I didn't do so good over the weekend.  :P  Friday night was my mom's birthday, and well, I had to have a piece of cake, so I figured I might as well have a chicken sandwich as well.  But, I didn't like the cake, does that count? :D  It seemed so sweet and yucky to me, I only ate a few bites.

But, over the weekend was really hard to keep it up, things always come up, and we end up going out for breakfast or whatever. 

I'm trying to come up with some different ways to do this.  I thought I saw someone on the Makers' Diet?  I've looked at it several times, would that work for candida?  I would love something to go by. 

I know we're not supposed to have cheese, but I had mozzerella cheese with tomato slices, basil, and homemade dressing drizzled on it.  I just love that.

Oh, I've been taking cod liver oil, does that make your stomach upset?  Because my stomach just feels upset, and I'm thinking it may be from that.  On the upside, I don't have much of an appetite because of it. ;)

wendy
Oh, should I keep taking the yeast assasin even when I didn't follow the diet? 

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
« Reply #277 on: March 31, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »

Rebecca- Are you eating brown rice?  If so, you might look for some puffed rice cakes or brown rice crackers for your toddler to snack on.  Unfortunately, most rice crackers I've found have other unacceptable ingredients (in general, not just cleanse-wise), but I was able to find a couple decent options.

As for me... After a day of resting (as much as is possible with a 9-month old) and napping, I feel much better today!  My biggest challenge going into the homestretch is coming up with snacks.  I was doing pretty good until last Saturday, when I decided that I was so sick of eating almonds, seeds, and chopped veggies that I didn't want to eat them again for a very, very long time.  In fact, I literally couldn't make myself swallow the snacks I brought to the office, so went hungry for most of the day.  So this week I tried to be super creative with my snacks: a roasted pumpkin seed dip for my crackers; a carrot sunflower seed dip for my veggies; and more veggie/seed/nori crackers, but this time with guacamole and "sour cream" to top them with.  I made a raw almond-based sour cream and, while it's definitely not nearly as good as the real stuff, it's not bad for a substitute. 

Ok, I didn't know we could have brown rice??? Carrots? Almonds?  Is there just various levels of the diet? I am reading TONS of information, but I printed out Bee's Candida Diet Shpping List (www.healingnaturallybybee.com) to take to the grocery store with me. It's not on there. My toddler's favorite grain (besides wheat) is oatmeal. He will eat a lot of oatmeal with just butter and salt.  He seems to be feeling much better now. I made him some ginger tea to sip. He ate a bowl of Nutritional Yeast Flakes with a spoon. (we usually put it on popcorn, but I got rid of that!) He just shook some salt into the bowl and started eating it.  I read on Bee's website that you should supplement with NYFlakes so I figured it was ok. She said to put it in a glass of water and drink it, but he was drinking water with it.

Here's the reassuring part. My 9 yr old dd started feeling dizzy and wobbly (sounded like a drunk or hangover feeling to me) and later she threw up.  She ate some soup I made and she feels fine now.

I am pretty certain that these were yeast related events, because we all usually eat bread with every single meal.  (bad, I know...but I justified it b/c it was homemade whole wheat, fresh ground, but not soaked...need to work on that) annnnnnyhow, big granola eaters, lots of honey, maple syrup, etc. we all have various yeast related problems from skin conditions to joint pain, fatigue... but I really do think we all have it. I have heard the spit test is unreliable, but we all FAILED it....so I am pretty confident we all have a yeast problem.

So far today:
Breakfast:
chlorophyll in water
2 boiled eggs
Lunch:
Homemade soup: recipe:
2 jars homecanned tomatoes/juice
1 bag mixed bell pepper slices frozen
1 bag frozen green beans cut
2 pounds of our home grown, slaughtered beef :o)
1 onion sauteed with the beef
Italian herbs we dried last summer
Sea Salt
Black pepper
After I simmered it all for a little while, when I dished it up, I sprinkled a tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast Flakes and  a tablespoon of coconut oil on it. Oh my. It was sure good!!!!

For supper we are having collard noodles, spaghetti squash and ribs... My meat loving 17 yr old dd is in heaven! She is loving all the meat.

I've been drinking lots of Bee's electrolyte drink (I love the taste, it reminds me of gatorade).  I also already took Digestive Enzymes and Betaine/Pepsin with every meal b/c I was tested and produce little to no stomach acid.

My dh is lying down b/c he feels so tired and heavy footed. It's weird how fast you start to feel bad. Well, that just convinces me to keep going. My only fear is a bad reaction in my 8month old dd.

I love all the honesty on this thread, btw!

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
« Reply #278 on: March 31, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »
It sounds like you had a great first day Rebecca!

I had moments when I had a slight headache and felt irritable.  It was usually fixed by eating a snack.  I woke up covered in sweat in the middle of the night last night.  BUT..... I lost 5 lb yesterday!!!!!!  I am sure that most of it was water weight, because I made sure to eat plenty.  I both lose and gain weight very easily. 

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky! I never had problems with weight issues until about 6 years ago. Then I was only looking at maybe 5-10 pounds overweight. But the last two babies I have kept about 15 pounds per baby. So I reallly need to lose about 35-45 pounds I guess.  I weigh 165, but I have a small frame and I feel the weight in my knees and hips mostly.  I really need to lose it. I have never kept it on around my middle until the last 6 months. I have gained 5 lbs since my baby was born...so I know something is going wrong. I am hoping that I will clear up some issues with this while doing the candida diet, but that's not my main focus.  My husband is a "forever thin" type, so I live with it ::)

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #279 on: March 31, 2009, 09:11:45 AM »

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky! I never had problems with weight issues until about 6 years ago. Then I was only looking at maybe 5-10 pounds overweight. But the last two babies I have kept about 15 pounds per baby. So I reallly need to lose about 35-45 pounds I guess.  I weigh 165, but I have a small frame and I feel the weight in my knees and hips mostly.  I really need to lose it. I have never kept it on around my middle until the last 6 months. I have gained 5 lbs since my baby was born...so I know something is going wrong. I am hoping that I will clear up some issues with this while doing the candida diet, but that's not my main focus.  My husband is a "forever thin" type, so I live with it ::)

Well, not really lucky.  I weighed 265 :o a week after dd#4  was born, 15 months ago.  I got down to 170 by the beginning of October, but since around Thanksgiving my weight has crept back up to a high of 188.5 yesterday morning.  I almost croaked when I climbed on the scale! :D  I weighed 190 when I got married, and my dh really likes me to not get a lot lower than 170.  I am 5'8" with a larger frame.  Ironically enough he is 6' and weighs 165, also forever thin! ::)  He said that if I want to get a bit lower so that I am happy with myself, that is fine.  I would like to get down to being able to wear all of my 12's, that is about perfect for my frame.  I lost weight after my oldest dd was born and got WAY too skinny.  My dh and my mom do not want to see that happen again!  So really part of my main focus is the weight loss in a way.  I have MAJOR sugar cravings and end up eating WAY too much because of that.  It can be homemade granola bars with honey, it doesn't have to be 'bad' food.  I am really hoping to get rid of the cravings for sugar.

Today I am feeling a bit yucky.  My nose is constantly running, I am sure that it is a die-off reaction.  I am keeping a daily journal on the way that I feel.  I am hoping that it will help me to know when the yeast is gone.

ETA- I don't want to make it sound like my dh bosses me around or complains about my weight.  He has NEVER done that and tells me that he thinks I am beautiful no matter what I weigh.  I just have been asking him, because I want to please him more than anyone else! ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:15:24 AM by linemansgirl »

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
« Reply #280 on: March 31, 2009, 11:22:47 AM »

Well, not really lucky.  I weighed 265 :o a week after dd#4  was born, 15 months ago.  I got down to 170 by the beginning of October, but since around Thanksgiving my weight has crept back up to a high of 188.5 yesterday morning.  I almost croaked when I climbed on the scale! :D  I weighed 190 when I got married, and my dh really likes me to not get a lot lower than 170.  I am 5'8" with a larger frame.  Ironically enough he is 6' and weighs 165, also forever thin! ::)  He said that if I want to get a bit lower so that I am happy with myself, that is fine.  I would like to get down to being able to wear all of my 12's, that is about perfect for my frame.  I lost weight after my oldest dd was born and got WAY too skinny.  My dh and my mom do not want to see that happen again!  So really part of my main focus is the weight loss in a way.  I have MAJOR sugar cravings and end up eating WAY too much because of that.  It can be homemade granola bars with honey, it doesn't have to be 'bad' food.  I am really hoping to get rid of the cravings for sugar.

Today I am feeling a bit yucky.  My nose is constantly running, I am sure that it is a die-off reaction.  I am keeping a daily journal on the way that I feel.  I am hoping that it will help me to know when the yeast is gone.

ETA- I don't want to make it sound like my dh bosses me around or complains about my weight.  He has NEVER done that and tells me that he thinks I am beautiful no matter what I weigh.  I just have been asking him, because I want to please him more than anyone else! ;)

Well, from your picture, I'd say you are one beautiful mama!!!!  I have never been able to lose weight easily, no matter what I have tried. Although, I have to say, I probably didn't ever try antyhing long enough. I, like you, have sugar cravings, but eat "healthy" sweets, like granola bars made with honey, or just spoonfuls of honey, or molasses on everyhing, and I justify it by saying it's healthy. Also, I eat too much. 

My nose was also running like crazy today.  Just out of the blue, it would be like a faucet.  I am tired. VERY tired, not sleepy, just fatigued.

I know what you mean about pleasing your husband, I didn't take that the wrong way. I too, want to please my husband, and he will say what he likes if I ask him, but would never be demanding really. He's awesome! He is sooooooo on board with me when I try to do something like this. He even asked me to print out and laminate the Candida Diet OK list so he could carry it in his vehicle in case he stopped at the grocery store to get us some food or whatever. So, I laminated a list for him and one for myself. 

Thankfully, my mom asked for a list (for when the children spend the night with her).  I went to my aunts to eat last night and she only made foods we could eat, no potatoes or bread, like usual.  Although , she made some kielbasa sausage that I am quite certain would have sugar AND MSG in it, but didn't think about it until after I had already eaten a few bites of it.   So, it's looking like my family will support us (but I"m sure they're talking about how weird we are when we're not around!)...that helps, b/c that is one of the major reasons I prefer NOT to live too close  ;)

I am determined to stay focused on this diet. 

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #281 on: March 31, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
Wendy- I'd definitely give yourself kudos for disliking your mom's birthday cake ;) I've pretty much been off sugar for over 2 years, and when I do give in to a craving and have some I always seem to get really sick and promise myself there's no way I'll have any more because I don't ever want to feel like that again ::) I'm sure the Maker's Diet would be beneficial for candida, but it's not necessarily an anti-candida diet, per se.  I've pretty much been eating Phase 3 for the past 2 years and still have the same candida issues I had before I started.  But then again, I never went through all 3 phases.  If you are looking for a specific book to follow, you might want to check out "Lifeforce" by Jeffrey S. McCombs.  I bought it a few years back because Kevin Trudeau recommended it, but wasn't quite ready at that point to give up bread for longer than a few hours :P I don't have it handy (still in storage from my recent move to Colorado), so I can't give you the low down on it, but if you go onto Amazon.com you can read parts of the book to see if it's something you feel would help you.  Also, I'd keep on taking Yeast Assasin regardless of whether you're on the diet just because it's doing SOME good, even if it's not as much good as a full diet with supplements would be.  Just my opinion, but HTH.

Rebecca- It seems like every anti-candida plan I've looked at it a little bit different.  I hadn't looked at Bee's food list until after your post, and it looks like my plan includes a few foods that she doesn't allow.  But she also allows quite a few foods that my plan doesn't.  And if I remember correctly, the Lifeforce plan is different from both.  You'd think the same things would be bad for candida regardless of who put the plan together...??  I'm basically doing ShabbyChic's cleanse from the "Shabby's 40 Day Nursing Mama's Yeast Cleanse" thread.  It's basically the Maker's Diet Phase 1, minus dairy, minus fruit, minus lentils, minus honey, minus anything fermented, plus brown rice.  At the end of 40 days, if I still feel that the candida isn't all the way gone, I think I'll compare all the different diets and just eat the foods that are allowed by ALL of them until I think it's gone.  9 days to go until I have to make that decision...  Also, just wanted to say that it's AWESOME your husband is so supportive of the cleanse.  And it's amazing to me how much of a reaction your family is already having, Rebecca.  That's fantastic (in a morbid sort of way):)

Today DS started getting mild cold symptoms again!  I guess the past few days were just a lucky break.  Also, he cried (no, screamed) all day and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong.  Not sure whether to chalk it up to feeling icky from the cleanse, but why not?  Also, the past week he has been sleeping really restlessly at night - waking up every 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 hours.  The last chunk of time he woke up that much was from 4 1/2 months to 7 months, when he got 8 teeth in 2 1/2 months.  But could this be teething again?  Is 9 months too early for molars?  It doesn't look like his gums are swollen... So is this the cleanse, too?  I almost gave him some sleep tincture tonight, but then realized that it's half alcohol and half glycerine, and wouldn't the glycerin be a no-no for a candida cleanse???  Just a guess because it's so sweet - does anybody know?  And finally, the red ring that was lightening and getting smaller is back to bright red and its original size.  So I'm not sure if that means the yeast are standing firm or just giving up a big fight before they're all dead.

As far as my symptoms, all my yeast infections seem to be dissipating - not gone yet but all getting better.  Yeah!!  Hopefully I've seen the worst of it.  Foodwise, my snack dips were good, but crackers are still crackers and sliced veggies are still sliced veggies :( Amazing how I can eat sourdough bread and/or cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread toast every day for years and still want more, but a month of vegetables, etc. leaves me sick of them :-[

Still have lots to do tonight (hard to get much done when DS is waking up so often) but if I don't go to bed now, tomorrow will be really rough.  Haven't done my dry skin rubs or hot baths for a few days because I'm afraid DS will wake up as soon as I get in the bathroom and I won't hear him.  But then again I haven't taken showers for the same reason, so it's not like I'm just slacking on the cleanse :-[ Maybe tomorrow...??

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2009, 01:53:40 AM »

Rebecca- It seems like every anti-candida plan I've looked at it a little bit different.  I hadn't looked at Bee's food list until after your post, and it looks like my plan includes a few foods that she doesn't allow.  But she also allows quite a few foods that my plan doesn't.  And if I remember correctly, the Lifeforce plan is different from both.  You'd think the same things would be bad for candida regardless of who put the plan together...??  I'm basically doing ShabbyChic's cleanse from the "Shabby's 40 Day Nursing Mama's Yeast Cleanse" thread.  It's basically the Maker's Diet Phase 1, minus dairy, minus fruit, minus lentils, minus honey, minus anything fermented, plus brown rice.  At the end of 40 days, if I still feel that the candida isn't all the way gone, I think I'll compare all the different diets and just eat the foods that are allowed by ALL of them until I think it's gone.  9 days to go until I have to make that decision...  Also, just wanted to say that it's AWESOME your husband is so supportive of the cleanse.  And it's amazing to me how much of a reaction your family is already having, Rebecca.  That's fantastic (in a morbid sort of way):)

Thanks for clarifying that! I don't want to have to do this over again. I feel like, pardon my French, CRAP, this morning. I feel like I have the flu or some form of extreme fatigue...my arms feel like dead weights.  The only reason I am in here on my computer is because my almost 3 year old is throwing up again this morning.  Is this really candida related? I am wondering if I should give him oatmeal or brown rice or something to keep him from being sick???? I am freaking out a little bit about that.  No one else is throwing up today but:
DH perfectly fine
ME ~ like a train wreck (light headed, dizzyish, hot and sweaty, weak, limbs feel like lead, just a bad overall feeling)
dd 17 very tired
dd 13 feels fine but not great
ds 11 feels very tired
dd 10 feels better, yesterday she was throwing up and tired
ds almost 3 throwing up
dd 8 months ok....

I remember trying to give up sugar and grains once a few years back and feeling this way but thinking it was some kind of blood sugar imbalance. I gave in and ate some bread/honey b/c I thought I was going to die. I guess it feels kind of like that. I guess that means I really do have candida and I really am doing something to it... do ya'll think so? I feel pretty yucky. I don't want to be killing myself and making my family miserable for nothing!

Snack dips sound good!  Maybe I need some of those. We're all getting tired of eggs already. I don't want to over do the meats, so not much left. I am definitely planning to make some of those kale chips.

Hope everyone else is doing great today.  I'm going to spend some time relaxing, (as much as I can with 6 kids at home) knitting, reading, and napping, I hope!

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #283 on: April 01, 2009, 04:07:44 AM »
Hey girls!!  I'm joining your little group if that's ok.  I won't be officially starting til Fri...DH is going out of town and it's so much easier to do a diet like this when he is gone.  He's really supportive, but if he decides he wants a coke, etc...I have no willpower :P

Anyways, after being out of supermom for over 6 months, I got some in the mail yesterday.  I took one in the afternoon then again right before I went to bed...within an hour of taking it, my nose was running and I had a headache.  I remember feeling major detox symptoms the first time I took it a few years ago.  Today and tomorrow, I'm just going to drink tons of water and keep up with the supermom.  I need to order Yeast Assassin and probiotics.  Also coconut oil...

I need to lose about 30-35 lbs...I'm with a lot of you on here.  Hubby doesn't want me to get too small.  He likes me to have some curves...lol.  I just have a few too many curves right now.  A few weeks ago, I went on a super low carb diet (low carb, low cal, good fats).  The first few days were miserable but then I felt great.  I lost 6 lbs really fast...probably water.  Then, of course, I went to see family in AZ and you can guess what happened :-\

I'm going to do a variation of that diet starting Fri.  So, here I am!!!
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #284 on: April 01, 2009, 04:29:01 AM »
Ugh!  I am feeling terrible this morning too!  Pretty much exactly the way that you feel Rebecca!  Sorry that you feel so awful too!  By the way, you are a definitely a beautiful mama too! ;D  I had a hard time getting to sleep last night because my hips were hurting.  My 15mo is teething and wanted to nurse quite a bit in the night.  I feel exhausted and fluish this morning.  I was lying in bed earlier this morning wondering if I was going to throw up, but the nausea went away after a while.  I have been rather surprised by this!  I have done an anti-yeast diet in the past that wasn't nearly as strict and I didn't feel anything like this!  Obviously this is working and I need to persevere!  I must confess I am tempted to eat a bit of brown rice or millet to slow things down a bit, but I probably won't.

You are doing such a wonderful job Mamatoto!  The food may be getting monotonous, but forty days are almost here!!!!!!!!!!  I hope that your son feels better soon.  It is so hard when you can't figure out how to comfort them.

Welcome AndysJess! :)

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »
Obviously this is working and I need to persevere!  I must confess I am tempted to eat a bit of brown rice or millet to slow things down a bit, but I probably won't.

Thankfully I'm not the only person who feels like this, cause I was starting to wonder if I was overdoing it! I'm glad (sic) that you are feeling bad too. 

I too am contemplating the millet and brown rice, and oats, which my DH read were good to help eliminate toxins and keep your digestion moving.  Mostly, I am thinking of adding it b/c my toddler has done nothing but lie around and also had thrown up two mornings in a row.

We'll see how it goes. Keep up the good work!

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #286 on: April 01, 2009, 06:02:01 PM »
Reading everyone's posts today reminds me of how I felt right at the beginning.  My initial thought was, "Oh, I'm coming down with something and there's no way I should do a cleanse if I'm sick...maybe I should stop and then re-start when I feel better."  But then I remembered from reading through all the posts on this and two other candida threads here that that's what everyone seems to think right at the beginning.  And it's definitely not random that everyone just happens to get the flu after starting a candida cleanse - so it's the cleanse that's actually causing the sickness.  But I will say I am so surprised that your children are throwing up, Rebecca.  I would venture a guess that their little bodies are affected more by die-off/starvation than our bigger ones just because they are littler, because I can't imagine in their shorter lives they would have worse candida problems.  But I guess there's just no way to know and everyone's body is different.  It WILL get better, but the hard part is not knowing exactly when.  I can certainly feel for you mamas wanting to make this at least bearable for the little ones, and only you can decide how to do that.  But also keep in mind that slowing things down only prolongs things, so make sure you weigh that in the balance.  You might try other ways to help their bodies get rid of toxins: hot baths so they sweat a little (obviously you can't get too hot with real little ones - maybe turning the bathroom into a sauna and sitting in it for a while would help?), making sure they drink enough water so are peeing a lot, making sure they are having regular bowel movements, etc.  I personally would have had a hard time choosing to do a diet with absolutely no grains because I wonder if I could get all the appropriate nutrients for my breast milk without anything at all.  (Not that brown rice is overflowing with nutrients, but it's at least something.)  I do think that bigger bodies can handle more abnormal things, probably because we've beat them around for years and they're more used to being abused.  Enough rambling...  I'm so glad to hear that the detox symptoms aren't challenging your resolve.  They certainly do mean that there's something in there that needs detoxing!!

As for us, DS's runny nose is gone already - that was quick!  But now I'm a little stuffy and one of the lymph nodes in my throat is swollen - this happened the first two weeks of the cleanse and got so bad at times it was really, really painful to swallow anything.  So I hope this isn't a flash-back to that.  As soon as I'm done here, I'm going to do a garlic poultice on my chest to see if that won't help.  I've been meaning to add them in, but the thought of more painful lymph nodes is enough to actually get me to do it.  The Fungal Defense is still making my stomach hurt, so I'm holding steady at 3 half-doses.  I'm too chicken to up it to the full 3 doses, since logistically I can't allow myself be in so much pain that I can't move, because then I can't get to the office.  Maybe I'll start brewing some ginger-licorice tea when I take my first dose of the day - might help the tummy upset.  I'm also trying to rearrange when I take all my supplements because I'm starting to get nauseous in the morning after taking so many pills.  Also, I just couldn't bring myself to eat most of my snacks today because I was just so sick of them, so all that time spent making dips went down the drain.  For whatever reason, I wasn't overly hungry during the day even though I wasn't eating as much, but at dinner I became ravenous and gorged myself on chicken and rice, and now my stomach is feeling icky.  Hopefully my nightly cup of hot herbal tea and lemon will help a little...??  Not sure what happened to my self control!?!

Oh, a heads up to other nursing mamas: I have had a problem with plugged ducts ever since DS was born (usually every 2 weeks or so), but I am usually able to get rid of them in a day.  However, after starting the cleanse I noticed that they are more painful and are lasting longer.  We discussed them recently at a La Leche League meeting and I learned that a diet high in saturated fat can cause plugged ducts.  My diet has always been pretty high in saturated fats, and I'm not willing to cut them because I feel the health benefits outweigh the pain of the plugged ducts.  But because I have made a conscious effort to up my coconut oil and other fats during the cleanse, I think I've made the problem worse.  Just wanted to give you a heads up that you may start having problems, so you may want to brush up on some of the ways you can relieve the pain and get rid of a plug as soon as possible.

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2009, 03:38:19 AM »
I started feeling much better yesterday evening and this morning I feel pretty much normal.  YAY!!!!  I did not succumb to the temptation to eat something to slow things down, and now I am glad that I didn't.  My daughter is not exclusively breastfed anymore, so I am not concerned about her getting everything she needs from nursing.  Even if I was, I really think that she would be getting everything that she need without the grains, but that's JMHO! :)  I have lost 10 lb :o already!  I have been eating a ton and keeping my fats way up.  The only way I know of to slow it down would be to add some carbs in which I don't want to do.  I am eating almonds and pumpkin seeds which I had originally planned on staying away from at first.  I am guessing that my weight loss will slow down to a more reasonable rate now.

Thank you for a heads up on the plugged milk ducts.  This is my first baby that I have had any problems with that, so I will keep a watch for it!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #288 on: April 02, 2009, 05:56:14 AM »
Hi everyone.  Well, I hadn't been doing the diet all that well.  I decided to wait until I got the books I ordered, The yeast connections cookbook and the the yeast connection book.  The were very good.

It's still a little confusing.  So, are any of you eating tortillas?  I'm assuming they are ok if there is just the water, flour(or whatevergrain)?  There isn't any yeast, or sugar, so I've been eating them.  I plan to make my own once the store bought package is gone.  I just can't throw food out. :)

And, I'm still going with the tomato paste with the brown rice.  There's no sugar in that either, so I figure it's safe. 

So, today I'm really going to commit.  I have a cookbook now to at least help me figure some things out, and I would love to lose about 10-15lbs.  With each child(4) I seemed to have kept 5 lbs.  I would like to fit into my clothes more comfortably. ::)

In the book it says to change the diet first, and then do the supplements.  But I'm just starting right out doing everything, is that ok?  I started taking yeast assasin, tummy tune-up, and I also take Bone Ami.  Should that be all I need?  I also have grapefruit seed extract, and I have some oregenol oil, but that's already in the yeast assasin.  Of course, I always eat garlic whenever I can,  I love it.

Ok, I'm just rambling.  It's getting warm outside (yippee)  so I am going to take the kiddos for a walk.

Oh, one more question, I would like to change the kiddos diets too, but without eliminating any fruit.  I'm thinking they probably have some yeast, but would it help them just by cutting out refined sugars, and as much yeast as possible, and just making sure they have some probiotics? 

The kids get alot of garlic oil, whenever I see any signs of sickness, so I know that must help.  My dh says he always knows when they might be sick, because they smell like pizza. :D

Ok, hope everyone has a good day
wendy

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #289 on: April 02, 2009, 08:49:44 PM »
My confession for the day: I only drank 6 cups of water, took none of my supplements, and again skipped the dry skin brush and bentonite clay bath.  Not exactly sure why I think this cleanse will work if I can't stay on top of my supplements  :-\ But I now officially have one week left, so I am determined to make it a good one and stay on top of everything every day.  DS still has a yeast rash in his diaper area and I still have a mild itchiness (worse today, probably because of my horrid water intake).  So in order to avoid going into "overtime," this next week needs to be an effective one.  My lymph nodes are still swollen, but no real pain swallowing today - probably because of the garlic poultice I did last night, and since I didn't do one tonight I'll probably be suffering for it tomorrow :-[

WellTellMommy- I tried your stuffed cabbage rolls today (minus the sage since I'm nursing) and the meat came out really yummy!  But I had trouble getting the cabbage leaves off without tearing or breaking them.  Is there a secret?  Also, how long am I supposed to cook them once the meat is all rolled up in the leaves?  I made a super yummy tomatillo sauce to put on top, and it's so good I'm actually going to try it as a vegetable dip tomorrow (yep, gonna give those cut veggies one more try ::)).  Here's the recipe: 1 T olive oil (or coconut oil), 1 yellow onion minced, 2 cloves garlic minced, 2 T jalapenos minced, 6 tomatillos, 1/2 cup cilantro minced, 1/2 t salt.  Saute onion, garlic, and jalapanos in oil 2-3 minutes.  Add tomatillos and sate 2-3 minutes.  Cool.  Add cilantro and salt.  Puree.   :D :D :D

DS is awake again for the third time this hour - still crying all day and waking up at least every hour all night - so I'm headed off quickly and will finish my post tomorrow.  Good night!

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #290 on: April 03, 2009, 04:58:09 AM »
I hope that you are feeling better soon Mamatoto!!!!  You are ALMOST there!!  That tomatillo sauce sounds yummy!  I am going to have to make that!  I will search for the stuffed cabbage roll recipe.

In the afternoon yesterday I started to feel a bit draggy, but nothing extreme.  I feel great again today.  I am very happy for that because my brother and sister have spring break from college and will be arriving late tonight and be here until the day after Easter.

After much though I am reevaluating my plans for the rest of my family.  There are so many events that are coming up where it will be impossible for the whole family to eat properly.  If it is just me, it will be fine though.  I am going to revise their diet, but I will be leaving in kefir, yogurt and kombucha.  I will also feed them properly prepared brown rice, millet, oatmeal and quinoa on occasion.  I will also allow them some berries and green apples.  We are planning on a more sugar free diet being permanent except for special times.  It may take more time for them, but I think that it will be worth it.   I am not going to stress when we are away from home and they are fed some 'bad' food.  I will tell Grandma that we are cutting way back on sugar though!!! :D

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #291 on: April 03, 2009, 05:02:39 AM »
I can't find the stuffed cabbage roll recipe!  Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?  Thanks! :)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #292 on: April 03, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »
I was wondering, is gum allowed?  Sometimes I really like to just chew some gum.  I guess probably juicy fruit is a no no, but what about the kind with xylitol?

wendy

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
« Reply #293 on: April 03, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
Reading everyone's posts today reminds me of how I felt right at the beginning.  My initial thought was, "Oh, I'm coming down with something and there's no way I should do a cleanse if I'm sick...maybe I should stop and then re-start when I feel better."  But then I remembered from reading through all the posts on this and two other candida threads here that that's what everyone seems to think right at the beginning.  And it's definitely not random that everyone just happens to get the flu after starting a candida cleanse - so it's the cleanse that's actually causing the sickness.  But I will say I am so surprised that your children are throwing up, Rebecca.  I would venture a guess that their little bodies are affected more by die-off/starvation than our bigger ones just because they are littler, because I can't imagine in their shorter lives they would have worse candida problems.  But I guess there's just no way to know and everyone's body is different.  It WILL get better, but the hard part is not knowing exactly when.  I can certainly feel for you mamas wanting to make this at least bearable for the little ones, and only you can decide how to do that.  But also keep in mind that slowing things down only prolongs things, so make sure you weigh that in the balance.  You might try other ways to help their bodies get rid of toxins: hot baths so they sweat a little (obviously you can't get too hot with real little ones - maybe turning the bathroom into a sauna and sitting in it for a while would help?), making sure they drink enough water so are peeing a lot, making sure they are having regular bowel movements, etc.  I personally would have had a hard time choosing to do a diet with absolutely no grains because I wonder if I could get all the appropriate nutrients for my breast milk without anything at all.  (Not that brown rice is overflowing with nutrients, but it's at least something.)  I do think that bigger bodies can handle more abnormal things, probably because we've beat them around for years and they're more used to being abused.  Enough rambling...  I'm so glad to hear that the detox symptoms aren't challenging your resolve.  They certainly do mean that there's something in there that needs detoxing!!

Oh, a heads up to other nursing mamas: I have had a problem with plugged ducts ever since DS was born (usually every 2 weeks or so), but I am usually able to get rid of them in a day.  However, after starting the cleanse I noticed that they are more painful and are lasting longer.  We discussed them recently at a La Leche League meeting and I learned that a diet high in saturated fat can cause plugged ducts.  My diet has always been pretty high in saturated fats, and I'm not willing to cut them because I feel the health benefits outweigh the pain of the plugged ducts.  But because I have made a conscious effort to up my coconut oil and other fats during the cleanse, I think I've made the problem worse.  Just wanted to give you a heads up that you may start having problems, so you may want to brush up on some of the ways you can relieve the pain and get rid of a plug as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for this information.  I was getting a little freaked out so I let my son have some oats and he has been fine since then. 

As for the rest of us, we are just experiencing tiredness.  I have been pretty irritable today. So has my nursing daughter.

My husband asked me to re-evaluate what I am doing because he does not want me to have to stop nursing (me either) and is concerned about how all this will affect my breast milk. Anyhow, I am doing more research today! So, thank you again for all this info.

I came across this and I know how controversial the "raw food movement" can be, so I am asking this while flinching..... read this and tell me what ya'll think:

I feel like I am always hungry but I force myself for days to live on 2 meals a day; then I find that I have immense cravings that I cannot explain and I have to binge on whatever I can find. I have stopped eating all meat except for fish.

I love eating fresh fruits and vegetables. However, each time I try to sustain on this diet alone, I get terrible yeast infections from the fruit so I again (after a treatment of Diflucan for the yeast), go back to eating fish and other raw/cooked vegetables in an effort to eat as healthy as possible.

I am terribly depressed. When I go home on Fridays, I never leave the bed except to go to the bathroom or the kitchen. I want to be healthy but I don't know how. I want to be free of this illness inside of me that makes me gain weight, lose my hair, disfigure my skin and cause a host of other complications but I don't know where to go or what to do. I want to stop taking pills. I want to sleep without waking up with headaches, I want to feel sexy and look good in my clothes and I need someone to teach me how to do it before I kill myself on an overdose of some bad weight loss drug that promises me that I will lose the extra 75 pounds of fat that I have been carrying around like a load of coal on my back.

A: Thank you for taking the time to write and to fully explain your situation. I feel you are on the right track. Its just that with candida or sugar related diseases it takes up to 3 months of being 100% raw to get rid of those. You can go two ways. You can eat fruits and suffer for 3 months as your body transitions to raw. After that you'll be fine. Or you can go 100% raw without fruits and feel great right away. You'll need to get a good vegetable juicer. We have the Green Star juicer (which you can get at greenstar.com) which we are very happy with. There are cheaper varieties available such as The Juiceman I believe. You can get these at a home store. Then you need to live on vegetables only for three months. If you feel you need more grounding you can include soaked almond milk in your diet. After the three months you can eat any raw foods and you'll be fine, still continuing to lose weight and rejuvenate.

I would recommend doing at least one if not two or three vegetable juices a day. All organic and raw of course. Use: kale, spinach, chard, celery, parsley, (stay away from carrots and beets as they have a high sugar content) lemon, tomato, and ginger. This makes a delicious juice! If its not yummy, just add more lemon (and/or tomato and ginger) until it is. You can juice the whole lemon in the Green Star, peels and all. This juice will leave you feeling very high. You don't have to use all the ingredients at once. You can make different varieties of green juice using two or three of the above ingredients at a time. This juice will heal anything, literally! Three months with this as your staple and you will be a completely new person, literally. After just a few days you are going to feel so incredibly high and energetic you wont know what to do with yourself! :)

In between "meals" you will want to eat whole vegetables such as celery sticks, jicama slices, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber slices, avocados and even the occasional apple once every day or two might be OK as this is not a very sugary fruit. You can even make little salads out of these to replace your vegetable juice meals once or twice a day. My favorite is a salad of avocado, tomato, cilantro and lemon. You can wrap this mixture in a Kale leaf for a "Kale Sub", or a lettuce leaf, or eat it plain. You can literally eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANT of the above foods and only feel better and better! You can also eat as little as you want and only feel better and better! This above diet is the Holy Grail of health, of that I'm sure!

You can add almond milk to your diet too, to replace one meal a day, or even two meals a day on occasion. Or you can add it as an in-between meal snack. You can have as much as you want. You MUST soak the almonds in water for four hours or more. Put a cup of soaked almonds in a blender and fill the blender up with water. (use only bottled spring water for all your water consumption including to soak your almonds in). You can if you like also add a dash of cold-pressed olive, flax, or hemp oil. Blend this up and drink it fresh. What you don't drink right away you can refrigerate but do drink it within the next couple of hours. This is the really healing version of almond milk. After three months you can start adding honey, agave, dates, and a dash of unrefined sea salt to your almond milk if you wish. For now it will taste like milk rather than a milk shake, but its still yummy! If you want to sweeten anything; your salads, vegetable juices or almond milk, you can use Stevia, an herb. You can buy it fresh at health food stores and hang it up to dry upside-down. Then crush it for sprinkling or blending up. It is a sweet green leaf herb. You can snack on leafs of this in between meals. It is a low-glycemic food so it will not aggravate your sugar-related conditions.

You can also include these low-glycemic (low sugar) fruits in your diet: grapefruit, cherries, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.

Depending on your condition this diet could take anywhere from a week to three months to "cure" you. You can test yourself by adding fruit at any time if you wish. If you start to feel less well in any way simply stop eating the fruits again.

After this diet you can start eating any raw foods. In order to help people to transition to a raw diet we have written The Garden Diet ebook. We have many recipes in this ebook that we use as our staple recipes. We also offer meal plans and suggestions for how to stay raw in the face of family and societal pressures. Also, you might want to think about attending a raw food retreat. Some people find it helpful to go to a retreat to get started on this diet in a supportive, beautiful and relaxing environment where temptations are out of reach.

I hope this will be helpful for you! Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes! Feel free to email me with any questions.

In Health,

Jinjee
THE RAW FOOD DIET  (www.thegardendiet.com)

END QUOTE

Just curious what ya'll think about this????

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #294 on: April 03, 2009, 07:15:54 PM »
I'm going to do a variation of that diet starting Fri.  So, here I am!!!

Welcome, AndysJess!  How was Day 1?

It's still a little confusing.  So, are any of you eating tortillas?  I'm assuming they are ok if there is just the water, flour(or whatevergrain)?  There isn't any yeast, or sugar, so I've been eating them. 

I'm going to venture a guess that none of the rest of us are eating tortillas.  One of the key components of an anti-candida diet is to stop eating foods that the candida can use for fuel.  They don't just use processed sugar, they also use natural sugars.  Thus no dairy, no fruit, no starchy vegetables, no grains, etc. because they all contain natural sugars.  (Hope I'm getting this right! :-\)  So the flour/corn/whatever grain product in the tortilla has natural sugars that the candida can use for fuel.  I know of at least two diets that allow brown rice, and I'm not sure exactly why, and I've read arguments in favor of allowing amarinth and millet in the diet, too.  But if you can find (or make) tortillas from brown rice flour, then they would be fine (assuming there are no other questionable ingredients).  But...I would consult your book before making any decisions to keep or cut foods.  It seems like each diet is a little bit different, so I'd just follow whatever plan is in your book and not worry about the rest of us. :)

In the book it says to change the diet first, and then do the supplements.  But I'm just starting right out doing everything, is that ok?  I started taking yeast assasin, tummy tune-up, and I also take Bone Ami.  Should that be all I need?  I also have grapefruit seed extract, and I have some oregenol oil, but that's already in the yeast assasin.  Of course, I always eat garlic whenever I can,  I love it.

I think you're perfectly fine to start the diet and supplements at the same time.  As far as supplements go, it seems like everyone is taking something a little different.  But the main ones would be an anti-yeast supplement and a probiotic.  So it sounds like you've got it covered.  Of course, if you have any other supplements that would be anti-yeast (like the GSE, oregano oil, garlic, etc.), promote digestion (like digestive enzymes or apple cider vinegar), or would help your body detox (like milk thistle to help the liver, etc.) I would say take them as well. 

Oh, one more question, I would like to change the kiddos diets too, but without eliminating any fruit.

Check out the book "Lifeforce" by Jeffrey S. McCombs.  It's an 8-week candida cleanse that allows almost all fruits. :)

I am going to revise their diet, but I will be leaving in kefir, yogurt and kombucha.  I will also feed them properly prepared brown rice, millet, oatmeal and quinoa on occasion.  I will also allow them some berries and green apples.  We are planning on a more sugar free diet being permanent except for special times.

I think your modified diet idea for your little ones sounds good - keeping in fermented foods and some good grains and fruit sounds healthy, balanced, and very reasonable.  As far as a long-term sugar-free diet goes, I've been off of sugar (for the most part) for the past 2 years or so, and I found that once I was over my sugar addiction, so many other foods tasted sweet that never tasted sweet before.  There are so many yummy shakes, smoothies, ice cream, cookie, and dessert recipes that use raw honey, pure maple syrup, dates, bananas, etc. to sweeten that you really don't feel like you are depriving yourself of anything - you can still have ice cream and cheesecake, they're just different than before. :P  Of course, too much honey or maple syrup can still wreak havoc on your blood sugar - and if someone has a candida overgrowth, then they would still be feeding the out-of-control yeast so definitely wouldn't want to overdo it.  But once their candida levels are under control, there's nothing to worry about if done in moderation.  JMO!  If you don't have Nourishing Traditions, I'd definitely get a copy as it has a ton of really great recipes.  And Serene's raw food cookbook from Above Rubies has some super great smoothie and dessert recipes, too!

I can't find the stuffed cabbage roll recipe!  Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?  Thanks! :)

Check out Reply #266 on this thread.  I tried it again tonight with about as much success (or lack thereof) keeping the cabbage leaves intact. :(  But I like the idea, so maybe next time I'll turn the recipe into stuffed peppers. 

I was wondering, is gum allowed?  Sometimes I really like to just chew some gum.  I guess probably juicy fruit is a no no, but what about the kind with xylitol?

Hmmm... never thought about this one before.  The Maker's Diet says that xylitol (along with sorbitol and maltitol) are sugar alcohol, so my guess is no.  Any other opinions?

My husband asked me to re-evaluate what I am doing because he does not want me to have to stop nursing (me either) and is concerned about how all this will affect my breast milk. Anyhow, I am doing more research today! So, thank you again for all this info.

I guess the reasons I'm not concerned with my breast milk are (1) I'm on a plan (or something close to it) that was designed for a nursing mama, (2) a nursing mama successfully completed this plan with no problems for her or her baby, and (3) I ran the plan by my holistic pediatrician (who's specialty happens to be nutrition) and she thought it sounded good.  But, I don't know much about Bea's plan other than that it's different from mine.  I've only been on her website twice and it's too confusing and overwhelming for me, although I'm sure if I took the time to wade through it I'd learn a lot. ;D  But I also came across this post the other day:  http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,337.msg222296.html#msg222296  What do you think?  I haven't had a chance to look at any of the material by the two doctors she cites, but it sounds like it might be interesting and really informative.

I came across this and I know how controversial the "raw food movement" can be, so I am asking this while flinching..... read this and tell me what ya'll think:

I have read anecdotal evidence of the power of juice cleanses, but haven't read any solid research on the topic.  One thing that concerns me is that it says it takes anywhere from a week to three months to cure the person asking the question - that's a huge range!  And honestly, how many people can really live on juice and raw vegetables for three months?  I know I couldn't unless I was facing something life-threatening and this was the route I was choosing to go.  But more importantly, I am very leery of anything that is touted as a "miracle" or "the holy grail."  These types of claims tend to over-promise and under-deliver. :(  I am re-reading The Maker's Diet in preparation for my post-candida-diet reintroduction-of-food plan, and it made me think of this paragraph where the author is telling his own journey from extreme sickness to health: "As I grew more frantic, I tried almost five hundred different 'miracle' products (including two or three treatments no rational person would consider).  I know what it is like to be desperate.  I became the victim - I choose that word carefully - of many network marketers and mass distributors of health products who made outrageous and unfounded claims with little, if any, scientific substance."  Personally, I wouldn't do an open-ended fast (which is pretty much what it sounds like - I know you are supposed to snack on raw vegetables between juice meals, but the primary source of nutrition is liquid) while pregnant or nursing, and definitely not without a naturopath or someone else similar weighing in.  As far as a raw diet in general, I am a big advocate of raw food.  In the summer, I like to do about 75% raw or so, and in the winter maybe 25% raw.  And think a 100% raw diet would do well as a short-term cleanse.  But I also believe a permanent 100% raw diet can be detrimental to your health, especially for children.  It seems like I am often reading about children growing up with serious dental issues due to 100% vegan diets, whether raw or cooked.  You can only get vitamins A, B12, and D from animal sources.  So I just don't buy into a 100% vegan diet.  JMO, of course! ;D

Well, I think I'm finally caught up on everybody else!!  Jemima- Are you still with us?  I think this is your getaway weekend, so hope you're having fun and are able to eat on the plan (for the most part) without feeling deprived.  It sounds like everybody else iis doing a bit better today, which is good heading into the weekend!  Hopefully you will all be able to keep up your resolve over the weekend, when for me at least things tend to get out of whack because my schedule is all screwed up.  Things seemed pretty mild today for us, thanks in large part I'm sure to the fact that I got in all my supplements (except for Bone Ami and Vitamin D, and two of my three teas) and finally drank 14 glasses of water today!!! :o  One thing I've noticed is that DS and I have had really bad (stinky) gas the past four days or so - hopefully just cleaning out the colon. :P  DS only had a couple crying spells today, but still seems to be sleeping poorly. :'(  However, he started pulling on his ear today, so is that a sign that he might have an ear infection?  Maybe that's why he's been so fussy the past few days, and surely that can't be related to the cleanse!  Tomorrow I'll start doing garlic oil drops - I've never done them before so am a little nervous.  Off to bed - still past my bedtime, but much better than last night!  Best of luck over the weekend - I'll add you all to my prayers tomorrow.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #295 on: April 05, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
Thanks for all the help on here.  I'm re-evaluating my plan.  over the weekend, I feel way off the wagon!  I ate a cheesesteak.   :o  And my poor family, I just was at a loss as to what to cook, so they've been suffering.

so, I'm wondering if the carb. addict books might help?  It seems to be closely related to the yeast thing, as far as cravings, etc.  Losing some pounds is a bonus, but the cravings is what I would like to conquer.

And I just found out my aunt, on my dad's side had a heart attack recently.  So that would make including my dad, 5 of his family that has had one.  I just want to make sure I start eating healthier, I'm not extremely overweight, my BMI is in range, although on the higher end.

So, good luck to everyone, I hope you can stick it out!  I think I will still finish up my yeast assasin though,  and the tummy tune upit can't hurt!

wendy

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #296 on: April 05, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
Not a whole lot to report here.  No problems with the diet, supplements, or water intake this weekend.  My only symptom is the one that got me thinking about about a candida overgrowth in the first place: a low-grade vaginal yeast infection.  DS still has a yeasty diaper rash :( and the runny nose started up yet again!  With only 4 days to go, I can't help but wonder if perhaps we'll need to extend things - perhaps due to the fact that I had so much trouble with the anti-candida supplement for most of the cleanse.  We've certainly had our share of detoxing, especially at the beginning, so I know the diet has worked somewhat...??  So it's a little discouraging.  We go into the pediatrician tomorrow for a 9-month checkup and I'm curious what she'll say.  Sorry to see you go, Wendy.  I hope you'll find a plan or some inspiration out there the get you pointed in the right direction.  How'd everyone else do?

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #297 on: April 06, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
I love our pediatrician!  We went in today for DS's 9 month check-up and discussed the cleanse (among other things).  Here's what she said:

•   Different strains of yeast have different life cycles.  So some yeast will be active while others are dormant, and on, and on.  This explains why it looks like things are clearing up, and then WHAM there are more die-off or yeast symptoms.  (For example, DS's yeasty diaper rash seemed to be going away and then was back just as strong as ever.)
•   It usually takes longer than 40 days to completely clear up a yeast overgrowth.  So these lingering yeast symptoms aren't a sign that the cleanse isn't working, just a sign that we need more time.  I should continue the cleanse until DS's yeast symptoms are completely gone and obviously not coming back, although she wasn't able to guess how much longer that might be.
•   Once our 1st 40 days are finished, I should ADD foods instead of limiting them further to prevent getting a problem with low blood sugar, so I was actually on the wrong track.  Here's what we get to add on Friday: grapefruit, sweet potatoes, beans, millet, amarynth, and oats.
•   My supplements should stay the same, but I should double DS's probiotics.
•   DS's restless nights (including last night where he slept 15 minutes then took 2 hours to fall back asleep - turned into a really emotional night for me) are due to teething (again ???) and an ear infection.  So she gave us some herbs, homeopathics, aromatherapy, Chinese herbs, and other treatments I am supposed to use aggressively the next 2 days.  She also suggested I give him some baby ibuprofen for one night only just so that I can get some rest and recharge - I opted to try the sleep tincture first and so far he slept 2 1/2 hours before waking up :)  So hopefully the rest of the night will be similar and I'll be feeling less hopeless tomorrow morning than I did this morning.
•   Oh, she also said that if I want to sweeten anything, I can use stevia or xylitol.  I don't really feel the need to sweeten anything, but I was curious about the xylitol since it's SUGAR alcohol.  So I asked and she said that the body digests xylitol differently than it digests sugar, which is why a lot of people have digestive difficulties if they overdo the xylitol.  But she said that the candida won't feed off of it because of the way we digest it.  (It seemed to make sense when she was explaining it, I just can't remember exactly what she said.)

So it looks like I'll be on here for a while longer.  But I do feel encouraged knowing that I am on the right track.  DS's runny nose is getting much runnier and he's got some chest congestion, so I'm using Winter Breeze Vapor Rub and am supposed to get a diffuser for some other respiratory oils.  I feel fine.

How is everyone else faring?

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #298 on: April 07, 2009, 08:25:33 AM »
It sounds like you are on the right track Mamatoto!  That is wonderful that you have such an awesome pediatrician!  They are hard to come by!

I am doing well at sticking to the diet.  I have felt great overall.  I had diarrhea Saturday morning for a couple of hours.  I get tired easier and my nose runs off and on. 

My problem right now is breakfast.  I am not a big egg fan and I am about to my limit for the time being.  I almost got sick trying to choke down Bee's Egg Drink the past couple of times that I tried it.  I may just have to make a bunch of hamburgers or something like that so I can grab it and heat it up first thing in the morning.  That wouldn't be my first choice, but when you have cut out all grains, dairy and sugars; what's a girl to do????? :D  I am also struggling with getting enough fats in.

I have company this week, so I probably will only check in sporadically!     

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #299 on: April 07, 2009, 06:21:03 PM »
Best of luck this week linemansgirl!  Hopefully having a house full won't derail you, but it sounds like you're doing GREAT!  Aahhh, breakfast... I don't like eggs at all, so I've been rotating between two breakfasts.  The first one probably won't work for your version of the diet: cooked brown rice cereal topped with coconut oil, ground flax seed, and almonds.  But the second one may: chicken sausage sauteed with red bell peppers and ground flax seed, and topped with avocado.  I was trying to come up with an "omelet without the eggs," but most of my stand-by recipes have cheese.  So this was the only one I could think of that seemed hearty enough, and the sausage makes it seem breakfasty.  But your hamburger idea actually sounds like a great idea!! 8) Do you like the taste of coconut oil, because for a while I was just eating 2 T with breakfast, until I realized that I was actually getting plenty.  But it's a whole lot easier to just add oil or butter to my rice products - I'm not sure how I would do it without eating rice. ???

Today was Day 38, and nothing much new to report except I'm officially upgrading DS's runny nose to "moderate cold-like symptoms."  This week's meals are (1) baked green peppers stuffed with ground buffalo sauteed with garlic, onions, yellow peppers, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and pepper, (2) brown rice penne pasta sauteed with sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and olives and tossed in olive oil, parsley, basil, and oregano (I'm on an oregano kick! :P), and (3) fried green tomatoes (tomatillos) using ground flax seed instead of flour.  I'm back to my boring snacks of (1) puffed rice cakes slathered in butter and (2) dehydrated crispy sprouted almonds.  I just couldn't bring myself to eat more raw veggies, so omitted a snack this week - this makes for a very hungry me halfway through the afternoon :( I was planning on making the kale chips, but forgot to buy kale at the grocery store last weekend, so they've been moved to next week's list. 

Jemima? Rebecca? You still with us?