Author Topic: Enameled cast iron cookware  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Enameled cast iron cookware
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:26:32 PM »
I am wanting to invest in some enameled cast iron pieces.  Primarily a large casserole at first.  I'm not talking 10-12 people large, but 4-6 people large.
I am curious to know if there is a way to determine quality or are all the brands pretty much the same?  And if so, what differences will I see in the quality with different price points?
What brands do you think are the best?  What size is the most versatile?
TIA

Offline floydian

• Master
Re: Enameled cast iron cookware
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »
I have 3 pans from Lodge.  They work great.

For casseroles tho, I have to say that I prefer my stoneware and glass.  I bought an iron bread pan, but I like my stone one so much better.

I like my iron cookware for skillet type cooking.  Anything on top of the stove.  Oh and cornbread.  It makes great cornbread. 

For anything in the oven, I prefer stone or glass. 

I know that didn't actually help much probably other than to say that Lodge brand is a good brand.   :-\
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »
I have Lodge and LaCreuset and love them.  I have a huge covered roaster from LaCrueset that I use most often.   I do think that the higher end pans are worth the extra due to the quality of construction. 

But my favorite pans for baking casseroles, breads, and basically anything except meat are my stoneware and glass.   I have been blessed to live near a pottery store that carries FiestaWare seconds, so I have some really nice stoneware from there. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 05:52:04 PM »
I was looking at some pieces online and realized that I am looking more for a dutch oven kind of piece, not a casserole.
I mainly want something that can go easily from stove top to oven.

Offline Linguist77

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 05:59:07 PM »
Lodge Color enameled cast iron is really great! I have 3 of them and am so pleased with them that I don't even miss my broken crock pot. In fact, roasts and other slow-cooked meats turn out better in the cast iron.

I found that the 3 qt. casserole works well for our family (5 people), and if I want to cook something bigger and have leftovers, I use the 6 qt.

We got good prices on amazon.com, and free shipping. Some colors are cheaper than others. And the colors are a lot nicer in person than they look in the pictures.

HTH!
Laura in Arizona

www.theylivedintents.com

M, age 4: "I'm a good tornado that looks like a frog!"

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 02:14:17 AM »
Don't buy the enameled cast iron brands at Meijer's grocery stores.  They stink!  The enamel chips off and then you have to throw the entire thing out, or it will break off into your cooking. Just my suggestion.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 10:43:41 AM »
I just saw this thread and must highly recomend my Le Creuset.  I have two knock offs from Marshalls or TJ Maxx but they don't compare to the Le Creuset.  I looked at Lodge when we were shopping but couldn't find anything in the area and shipping is just outrageous on something this heavy.  We have a Le Creuset outlet around the corner so I waited for a coupon and went there.  Maybe this could get you to make a trip to visit, Mrs. B!  Or did you already buy one.  I'd love to hear more about the Lodge in case I find one on sale...