Author Topic: Magnesium: when, why and how much...  (Read 27367 times)

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
Re: Magnesium: when, why and how much...
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »
InEverything,

From what I've read, I would do just the magnesium. I would get the natural calm without calcium. I bought the unflavored, but tried my Mom's raspberry lemon flavor and it was good. I think I'll get that one next time.

Taking calcium with the magnesium uses up more calcium. To read more about it, I would get the book The Miracle of Magnesium by Carolyn Dean. I posted a link to it on Amazon earlier in the thread. I picked it up at our local library.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »
Thank you Prairiechild!  Do you think that magnesium would help with his problem?  He has been taking my children's calm (I got some for $4 on sale at Raleys!) and he says that his shoulders are feeling worse. That is why I was double checking with you the "experts" as to whether or not this was the best approach.

As for me, I am using the "calm" with calcium and was wondering if I should order the w/o calcium next time. I will check your link. Thanks again  :)
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 04:28:16 AM »
I think magnesium would help. I would give him enough of the childrens to equal an adult dose. I don't know if he is on fish oil, but that can help with pain and inflamation.

I don't know why his shoulder feels worse... Maybe it gets worse before it gets better... ???

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 06:34:58 AM »
What caused the calcification to begin with?  Did he injure it?

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »
What caused the calcification to begin with?  Did he injure it?

I will have to ask him again  :-\  I believe it is due to him being such a strong hard working man!  :) ;)  He has swung a lot of tools over the years.
Maybe it hurts worse now because the calcium is being drawn out? That  is a totally uneducated conclusion.
Thanks for any input.
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 08:53:45 AM »
Question about magnesium, I'm pretty sure after reading over the past few weeks I am in need of this.  I have MVP, and the books I have read all point to this. 

I have started taking Bone Ami, 2x a day.  Well, I try to, sometimes I forget.  I'm almost out, but was wondering is this enough or should I get something else to take?  I like this because the kiddos can take it too if they want.

But, I'm wondering if I should be taking something else?

thanks,
wendy

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
I just finished a book called Pain Free in 6 Weeks by Sherry Rogers, MD.  She recommends 18% Magnesium Chloride as a 'magnesium IV.'  She says it's the most quickly and highly absorbed.  I think it is helping in the repair of a cracked tooth.  I don't feel pain there when I chew anymore.  She also says a magnesium deficiency can mimic pain such as heart arrhythmia, asthma, migraine and disc compression.  Worth looking into...

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »
Is this book Pain Free in 6 Weeks out of print?  I cannot seem to find it.  Thanks.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 02:57:40 AM »
I don't think so.  I got it from the library and, if I remember correctly, it was published around 2000.  It's by Sherry A. Rogers, MD.  I heard about it while reading The Fungus Link and she's a Christian who unashamedly refers to scripture and God in her book.  It has a good bit of reference to magnesium.  It did get a bit repetitive and technical in some places but nothing a lay person couldn't figure out.  She's got one out there called Detoxify or Die I want to read but can't get from our library.  Here's a link with all her books...I've only read the one  :)

http://prestigepublishing.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/apps/cartcompanion/category.html

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 07:20:46 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 03:20:00 AM »
Ok, what do you do about the diarhea?  That is what happens to me when I take magnesium supplements.  I feel it could help with my anxiety but do not like the side effects.  I take 400mg . Is that too much?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2009, 06:35:08 AM »
A 'cleanse' means that you've overdone it.  Some forms of magnesium are WAY more easily absorbed than others, so maybe try a different type than what you've got.  Magnesium citrate is very absorbable, and so much smaller amounts will 'getcha'. :)

Also, you may try a cal-mag supplement.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2009, 07:32:47 AM »
So what kind of magnesium would be the best to buy?  I take calcium but I could buy it in combination in the same pill.  Did n't I read above that you should not take them together?

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2009, 04:31:09 PM »
I second the Natural Calm.  God actually put it in my cart during a period of sleeplessness.  :-*  Things like this don't happen everyday, but I believe this was totally an answer to prayer.  I got home and was unpacking my store bags and found it in there. I did not buy it and didn't know much about mag at that time, but after reading the jar I was excited to try it for my insomnia.  I slept great after I took it... for awhile!  It helps me in other ways still though.

Magnesium deficiency is fairly common I'm learning as we just don't get much in our diets anymore.  I do know that chlorophyll's central atom is magnesium so getting more of that in the diet may be a good source. Adrenal Fatigue The 21st Century recommends a dose of 400 mg  before bed for the average person. Hmmm, now that I've written that I don't think I've ever taken that much before bed.  I'll have to try that! The book also recommends taking cal and mag at separate times.  Calcium is best absorbed after 8pm (typical recommended amount is 750- 1,000 mg) and you can alternate evenings or take them at separate times in the later part of the same day, but taking mag. closer to bedtime.  I'm going to have to try that too!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:35:19 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »
Regarding calcium and magnesium ratios...
This article was helpful in sorting out all the different factors that go into play with metabolizing calcium/magnesium and the ratios in which they should be taken.  The author also goes into causes of calcification, bone spurs, kidney stones, digestion/absorption, and even spinal alignment.:
http://www.acu-cell.com/mr.html
Here is a quote:
Even in a healthy body - without any of the above ramifications - the effect of magnesium on calcium (and vice versa) is not always easy to predict, since its ability to increase or lower calcium depends on many factors, including the type used (citrate, gluconate, carbonate, etc), and their resulting effect on stomach acid levels.  If zinc is on the high side, and potassium is low, then taking extra magnesium will usually lower calcium, because magnesium supports zinc, but lowers potassium.  On the other hand, if potassium is higher, and zinc is on the low side, then taking magnesium will likely push calcium higher as well.  Vitamin D increases calcium and magnesium, as well as phosphorus absorption.

♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
Has anyone done any research on magnesium massage?   I am wondering if this would be a better way of taking magnesium but am concerned about to much..........any ideas?  Thanks.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 05:22:14 AM »
Has anyone done any research on magnesium massage?   I am wondering if this would be a better way of taking magnesium but am concerned about to much..........any ideas?  Thanks.

Yes! Transdermal (thru the skin) magnesium is a GREAT way to get magnesium into the body, esp. at specific places like joints! I follow Dr. Mark Sircus who runs a cancer clinic in Brazil using 3 main treatments: transdermal magnesium (oil or gel-based), iodine supplementation and sodium bicarbonate (regular old baking soda). His success with these 3 things is absolutely phenomenonal!

By far, his highest recommendation is that of the transdermal magnesium. I regularly receive his newsletter and his research and testimony as to the effectiveness and varied uses of magnesium is AMAZING!! I will try to look for and post some of his recent research here.

I have been trying to get some of the stuff myself, but it is not cheap! It is called 'Ancient Minerals' and you can find it here: http://www.ancient-minerals.com/

Magnesium can be used several ways: oral, transdermal, and even nebulized. This article talks about using magnesium for palliative/hospice care:
http://magnesiumforlife.com/transdermal-magnesium/magnesium-massage/

He has other info on magnesium there on the right side of his page. I especially liked his article on "Magnesium--Lamp of Life!"

Hope this is what you were looking for.  :)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
Thank you Mama Sita..............I had actually read most of that material.   I need to know specifically how to use the liquid magnesium.   How much do I use?   Do I add it to some kind of oil to massage it in?   Is there a danger of overdose?   The problem is that where I live it is almost impossible to get a Dr. to order lab work to find out if you are low in some of these things.    :(
I do suffer from migraine headaches plus a lot of other things on the deficiency list but I really don't want to throw my body into imbalance.  KWIM?     My magnesium is NutriCology brand..........it probably isn't the best but it was affordable.          Any info you can pass along will be appreciated.  Thanks  :D

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »

What do you mean by "better way of taking magnesium"?  Using it externally will get it to the muscles faster, probably than taking it orally.  Epsom salt baths are a very common way of getting magnesium into the bloodstream and soothing tired muscles.

BUT...and this is sort of a big consideration IMO, our bodies were designed to get magnesium through food sources, and not through large doses via the bloodstream on a regular basis.  I think you'd be stressing the blood filtering organs (kidneys) by asking them to do something that they're not really meant to do if you chose this as your main way of supplementing.  http://healing.about.com/od/dietandfitness/a/magnesiumfacts.htm notes that only about 1% of the magnesium found in your body is found in your bloodstream, and that the body works hard to maintain that level.
I'd be much more comfortable with taking a supplement orally, and subjecting it to the filtering/digestive organs that were designed to break it down and utilize it.  Make sense?

As far as too much, magnesium: when taken internally, it's sort of self-regulating, as it causes a 'cleanse' if you get too much. ;)  So I from what I've seen, you take it to 'bowel tollerance'...meaning that you increase your dosage daily, or every few days until you get to the diahrrea stage, and then you back off to where your elimination becomes 'normal' (healthy) again.

I have been taking a cheapie brand for several months at a pretty high dosage (6 tablets) and have had great results.  I'm taking it during pregnancy, and my midwife and Dr. both said 'great!'
I think the powdered versions that you stir into liquid give you the fastest internal results.  FWIW, I am taking a cal-mag supplement, and also eat a lot of bananas.  I think the calcium/magnesium and potassium levels need to be in balance, and work together for absorption, etc.

HTH!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2010, 07:42:50 AM »
I guess what I meant by "better way of taking magnesium" was in reference to the diahrrea............I have enough of that on a regular basis that I didn't want to add to it........KWIM?   :P    Thanks hi_itsgwen..........those are good thoughts.   

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2010, 09:07:54 AM »
I guess what I meant by "better way of taking magnesium" was in reference to the diahrrea............I have enough of that on a regular basis that I didn't want to add to it........KWIM?   :P    Thanks hi_itsgwen..........those are good thoughts.   

It sounds like you possibly have poor digestion/apsorption going on?  That needs to be dealt with first, because that is behind the deficiency problems...you're prolly not absorbing what your body needs from your foods and supplements if it's going through you that fast.  In that case, I would say that the transdermal mag will be a good 'in the meantime' way of getting magnesium.  But the digestion problem is more than likely the key issue that underlies mineral and vitamin defficencies.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 01:49:01 AM »
don't think this has been mentioned, but i was sent some samples of this magnesium gel.  the top row is all magnesium--gel, oil & bath flakes.  it seems like it would be really easily absorbed. 

http://www.magneticclay.com/store/

will post my results.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2010, 10:09:05 AM »
daisey, I have found magnesium glycinate to have less of a laxative effect than other forms.  I like the Bluebonnet capsules.

Offline esiumlements

• Wide Eyed
    • Magnesium supplements
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
All you need to know about is Benefits and Side Effects of Magnesium supplements.Magnesium is central to the nutrient that the body requires for your muscle tissue, bone fragments, center, anxiety as well as defense mechanisms to work correctly. Magnesium is central to the nutritional that must definitely be supplied by this diet.

Offline Mommyof4

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »
Pls send me to another thread if I'm off.  Is it Cal-Mag that my kiddos (7, 9 and 10) need for leg cramps? They just began running track for P.E.
TIA

Blessed Mom:)
My village people:
Tate 10
Morgan 9
Charlotte 7.5
Silas 4.5

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
Pls send me to another thread if I'm off.  Is it Cal-Mag that my kiddos (7, 9 and 10) need for leg cramps? They just began running track for P.E.
TIA
Potassium is another mineral that when deficient can cause leg cramps, and is in most sport drinks.

Under the circumstances, they may need instructions on some basics like stretching, warming up, cooling down correctly. It's important to prevent pain from injuries! Along those same lines, if they do not already have a coach, learning some technique, and possibly investing in some minimalist or other specialized shoes could help prevent unnecessary pain. They may also need instructions on how, when, and why to hydrate. Finally, a muscle rub might help for the soreness that will come with a new routine.