Author Topic: Magnesium: when, why and how much...  (Read 26742 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Magnesium: when, why and how much...
« on: October 05, 2008, 03:46:48 PM »
There are several threads about Magnesium supplements, etc.  But I have been doing some research about *what* Magnesium does
why you need it
and what factors affect absorption of Magnesium.

So I thought this topic deserved its own thread. 
I started this research because of some issues that I've been having with my son.  He is very sensative to noise, is a very deep sleeper once he's asleep, has a bedwetting problem, and is hyper-active and hyper-emotional.
Usually, the  last two are very much related.  He responds to physical and emotional stimulation/pain by bouncing off the walls or blowing up, and doesn't seem to connect his feelings with his behavior.  I know he had a reaction to the MMR vaccine...he got mumps, but the Dr. office wouldn't accnowldge the connection with the recent immunization...which started this whole journey of taking much more responsibility for our family's health.

I've found a lot of very interesting details about magnesium that I think will really help him, and maybe others out there.  Here are some of the symptoms of a magnesium defficiency:
nervousness
fatigue
anxiety
insomnia
depression
muscle cramps
bedwetting
anorexia
irritability
muscle tremors
twitching
arterial spasm, specifically of the coronary arteries
angina symptoms or even a heart attack
high blood pressure
kidney stones and other tissue calcification
tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)
numbness
tingling
tetany (sustained contraction) of the muscles
delirium
hallucinations
and more...

Psychological changes including
-apathy
-apprehension
-decreased learning ability
-confusion
-poor memory

Magnesium is also given as part of a treatment for:
-autism or hyperactivity in kids, usually along with vitamin B6.
-PMS and menstral cramping
-Asthma
http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Magnesium-supplements-could-help-asthmatics-says-study
-Osteoporosis*: Magnesium deficiency may be a risk factor for postmenopausal osteoporosis. This may be due to the fact that magnesium deficiency alters calcium metabolism and the hormone that regulates calcium. Several studies have suggested that magnesium supplementation may improve bone mineral density, but researchers believe that further investigation on the role of magnesium in bone metabolism and osteoporosis is needed.
-Diabetes*: Magnesium is important to carbohydrate metabolism. It may influence the release and activity of insulin, the hormone that helps control blood glucose levels. Elevated blood glucose levels increase the loss of magnesium in the urine, which in turn lowers blood levels of magnesium. This explains why low blood levels of magnesium (hypomagnesemia) are seen in poorly controlled type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

Magnesium defficiency is common in America, and for those who eat processed foods.  But, absorption of magnesium and other critical minerals is inhibited by several factors even for those who eat very healthy diets.

What is Magnesium, and what does it do in the body?
"Magnesium is considered the "antistress" mineral. It is a natural tranquilizer, as it functions to relax skeletal muscles as well as the smooth muscles of blood vessels and the gastrointestinal tract. (While calcium stimulates muscle contraction, magnesium relaxes them.) Because of its influence on the heart, magnesium is considered important in preventing coronary artery spasm, a significant cause of heart attacks. Spasms of the blood vessels lead to insufficient oxygen supply through them and pain, injury, or death of the muscle tissue that they nourish. To function optimally, magnesium must be balanced in the body with calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and sodium chloride. For example, with low magnesium, more calcium flows into the vascular muscle cells, which contracts them, leading to tighter vessels and higher blood pressure. Adequate magnesium levels prevent this.
Magnesium, like potassium, is primarily an intracellular nutrient. It activates enzymes that are important for protein and carbohydrate metabolism, and it is needed in DNA production and function. Magnesium also modulates the electrical potential across cell membranes, which allows nutrients to pass back and forth. It helps in the release of energy by transferring the key phosphate molecule to adenosine triphosphate (ATP), an energy source generated by the cytochrome system.
(a bit more on the role of calcium/magnesium relationship from the same website)
Mineral imbalance, faulty diet, and stress can all deplete blood calcium. Minerals function in specific ratios to each other. This interrelationship has been compared to a spider’s web: One weak thread weakens the entire structure. Mineral imbalance is an important cause of calcium loss. The utilization of calcium is especially dependent on magnesium levels. As you might anticipate, magnesium deficiencies are common in the US.
In Preventing and Reversing Osteoporosis, Alan Gaby, MD, reports that magnesium deficiencies cause abnormal calcium metabolism. This results in calcification of the tissues. He believes that irregularities in the calcium-magnesium relationship are the basic cause of poor bone quality, hardening of the arteries, and calcium deposits.

In summary, even though it is not as prevalent as the other macrominerals, magnesium has many essential metabolic functions in the body. It is important in the production and transfer of energy, in muscle contraction and relaxation, in nerve conduction, in protein synthesis, and in many biochemical reactions as a cofactor to enzymes. Magnesium is also thought to dilate the blood vessels."
http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Health/Research/magnesium.htm

How do I get Magnesium, and how much do I need?

Requirements 

The current Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) is about 300-350 mg. for adults, 350 mg. for men and 300 mg. for women, increasing to about 450 mg. during pregnancy and lactation. The minimum is also expressed as about 6 mg. per kg. (2.2 pounds) of body weight. Many authorities feel that the RDA should be doubled, to about 600-700 mg. daily. An average diet usually supplies about 120 mg. of magnesium per 1,000 calories, for an estimated daily intake of about 250 mg. Unless absorption is great, that is not going to produce adequate tissue levels of magnesium for most people.

Magnesium chelated with amino acids is probably the most absorbable form. Less absorbable forms include magnesium bicarbonate, magnesium oxide, and magnesium carbonate. Magnesium oxide is probably somewhat better than magnesium carbonate (dolomite). The newly available salts of magnesium aspartate or citrate, both known as mineral transporters, have a better percentage of absorption.  ZMA ( zinc and magnesium aspartate) for men is a great product

Calcium-magnesium balance is important. It is usually suggested that when we supplement calcium we take about half that amount in magnesium. If we increase calcium intake, we should likewise increase magnesium. We should also increase magnesium intake when we consume more phosphorus, vitamin D, or protein or when we have higher blood cholesterol. Those on birth control pills or diuretics, postmenopausal women, and those who drink alcohol need more magnesium.   

The levels of magnesium used by physicians are commonly in the range of 600-1,000 mg.; however, the researchers in the kidney stone studies used only 200-300 mg. of supplemental magnesium oxide. Calcium and magnesium are both alkaline minerals, so they are not taken with or after meals, as they can reduce stomach acid as well as being absorbed poorly when taken with food. They are absorbed better when taken between meals or on an empty stomach, especially with a little vitamin C as ascorbic acid. Many calcium-magnesium combinations are formulated with hydrochloric acid and vitamin D to aid the mineral absorption. And taking them before bedtime may be very helpful in increasing utilization of both these important minerals and lead to a sleep-filled night.

What can prevent me from absorbing the Magnesium in my diet?

"Magnesium also requires an acidic stomach environment for best absorption, so taking it between meals or at bedtime is recommended. Meals high in protein or fat, a diet high in phosphorus or calcium (calcium and magnesium can compete), or alcohol use may decrease magnesium absorption.

Many factors affect magnesium availability from foods. One is the amount of magnesium in the soil in which the food is grown. Much magnesium can be lost in the processing and refining of foods and in making oils from the magnesium-rich nuts and seeds. Nearly 85 percent of the magnesium in grains is lost during the milling of flours. (emphasis mine)

Soaking and boiling foods can leach magnesium into the water, so the "pot liquor" from cooking vegetables may be high in magnesium and other minerals. Oxalic acid in vegetables such as spinach and chard and phytic acid in some grains may form insoluble salts with magnesium, causing it to be eliminated rather than absorbed. For these reasons and those previously discussed, many people get insufficient magnesium from their diets."
  These same acids inhibit calcium absorption as well.
Oxalic acid is found in spinach, rhubarb, beet leaves, chard and chocolate (a strange bedfellow). It is best not to eat these foods on a daily basis. Phytic acid is found in the germ and bran of grains as well as in legumes. Since yeast breaks down phytic acid, yeasted breads are no problem, nor are sprouted grains. However, if you use bran regularly, you may want to vary your fiber source. Soaking legumes before cooking takes care of the phytic acid problem.
(all emphasis is mine)

What are Natural Sources for Magnesium that I can add to my diet?
Almost all of our magnesium supplies come from the vegetable kingdom, though seafood has fairly high amounts. As a component of chlorophyll, this mineral is important to plant photosynthesis; therefore, the dark green vegetables are good sources of magnesium. Most nuts, seeds, and legumes** have high amounts of magnesium; soy products, especially soy flour and tofu, and nuts such as almonds**, pecans, cashews, and brazil nuts are good examples. The whole grains**, particularly wheat (especially the bran** and germ), millet, and brown rice, and fruits such as avocado and dried apricot are other sources. Hard water can also be a valuable source of magnesium. Dolomite and bonemeal are good sources of magnesium, as they are of calcium."
  I have also seen spinach** and chocolate (raw cocoa beans)** listed as good sources of Magnesium on other sites.

**please note how many of the high Magnesium foods are on the above list for containing phytic and oxalic acids, so they are not actually usable forms of magnesium unless you sprout/soak or other wise deactivate the acids before consumption.

another site's list of Magnesium rich foods (http://www.magnesiumhilfe.de/faq.php?q_lang=en#Food)
"All other excellent sources of magnesium have the disadvantage of also being very rich in energy: chocolate, cocoa and nuts.

Grains high in magnesium are oats, wheat bran and rice. However, most producers omit labeling their products accordingly.

Of the different types of fruits, bananas are relatively high in magnesium.

Of the various types of green vegetables (magnesium is part of the green leaf pigment chlorophyll), magnesium is found especially in spinach, chard, broccoli, beans and peas.

Potatoes and rhubarb should be mentioned as well."

Here is a pretty good chart of more magnesium content in flours, nuts, fish and veggies: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/magnesium-foods.htm

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:05:08 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Magnesium: when, why and how much...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »
OK...that first post was long enough.  Here is another study and article from the government about Magnesium and how it affects your energy levels:

"<Magnesium> is involved in hundreds of biochemical reactions, many of which help keep not only bones strong, but the heart rhythm healthy and the nervous system functioning smoothly.

A study by ARS physiologist Henry C. Lukaski and nutritionist Forrest H. Nielsen reveals important findings on the effects of depleted body magnesium levels on energy metabolism. Lukaski is assistant director of ARS's Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, North Dakota. He and Nielsen, with the center's clinical nutrition support staff, showed that inadequate magnesium is associated with a need for increased oxygen during exercise. They found that during moderate activity, those with low magnesium levels in muscle are likely to use more energy—and therefore to tire more quickly—than those with adequate levels."
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/may04/energy0504.htm?pf=1
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
Here's another good site.  She explores the role of Magnesium in some very common 'conditions'.  Click the links below to see the pages...she goes into some depth about each condition and how it is related to Magnesium:
Common Conditions That May Result from Low Magnesium Levels
Magnesium is a must. The diets of all Americans are likely to be deficient........Even a mild deficiency causes sensitiveness to noise, nervousness, irritability, mental depression, confusion, twitching, trembling, apprehension, insomnia, muscle weakness and cramps in the toes, feet, legs, or fingers.

Adelle Davis, writing in Let's Have Healthy Children

Magnesium (Mg) is a trace mineral that is known to be required for several hundred different functions in the body.  A significant portion of the symptoms of many chronic disorders are identical to symptoms of magnesium deficiency.  Studies show many people in the U.S. today do not consume the daily recommended amounts of Mg.  A lack of this important nutrient may be a major factor in many common health problems in industrialized countries. Common conditions such as mitral valve prolapse, migraines, attention deficit disorder, fibromyalgia, asthma and allergies have all been linked to a Mg deficiency. Perhaps not coincidentally, these conditions also tend to occur in clusters together within the same individual. A magnesium deficiency as a root cause would provide a logical explanation of why some people suffer from a constellation of these types of problems.

Many of the following conditions commonly occur in conjunction with each other and all have been linked to a Mg deficiency. 

Contents:
Allergies, Chemical Sensitivities
Anxiety and Psychiatric Disorders
Aorta Strength
Asthma
Attention Deficit Disorder
Calcification of Soft Tissue Including Heart Valve
Diabetes

Also see:

Magnesium - Part Two - Covers the links between magnesium deficiency and diverse conditions such as fibromyalgia, hearing loss, migraines, menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea), mitral valve prolapse, muscle cramps, nystagmus, osteoporosis, pectus excavatum, TMJ and more.

Part I: http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html
Part II: http://www.ctds.info/magnesium.html

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
And finally, from our lovely US gov....common foods and their Magnesium content (do keep in mind that processing and soil depletion need to be considered here too):

FOOD Milligrams (mg) %DV*
Halibut, cooked, 3 ounces 90 20
Almonds, dry roasted, 1 ounce  80 20
Cashews, dry roasted, 1 ounce 75 20
Soybeans, mature, cooked, ½ cup  75 20
Spinach, frozen, cooked, ½ cup 75 20
Nuts, mixed, dry roasted, 1 ounce 65 15
Cereal, shredded wheat, 2 rectangular biscuits 55 15
Oatmeal, instant, fortified, prepared w/ water, 1 cup 55 15
Potato, baked w/ skin, 1 medium 50 15
Peanuts, dry roasted, 1 ounce 50 15
Peanut butter, smooth, 2 Tablespoons 50 15
Wheat Bran, crude, 2 Tablespoons 45 10
Blackeyed Peas, cooked, ½ cup 45 10
Yogurt, plain, skim milk, 8 fluid ounces 45 10
Bran Flakes, ¾ cup 40 10
Vegetarian Baked Beans, ½ cup  40 10
Rice, brown, long-grained, cooked, ½ cup 40 10
Lentils, mature seeds, cooked, ½ cup  35 8
Avocado, California, ½ cup pureed  35 8
Kidney Beans, canned, ½ cup 35 8 
Pinto Beans, cooked, ½ cup 35 8
Wheat Germ, crude, 2 Tablespoons 35 8
Chocolate milk, 1 cup 33 8
Banana, raw, 1 medium 30 8
Milk Chocolate candy bar, 1.5 ounce bar 28 8
Milk, reduced fat (2%) or fat free, 1 cup  27 8
Bread, whole wheat, commercially prepared, 1 slice 25 6
Raisins, seedless, ¼ cup packed 25 6
Whole Milk, 1 cup  24 6
Chocolate Pudding, 4 ounce ready-to-eat portion 24 6
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp

bring on the pasty, nasty store bought artifical chocolate flavored pudding! (Yalch...Gag)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 04:40:02 PM »
Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Food on the Tolerable Upper Limit Intake of Magnesium
(the Europeans take ;) )
http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/scf/out105_en.pdf

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 04:50:54 PM »
An interesting summary from SE Spain regarding the proportions of magnesium in common food sources:
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14943943

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »
More on the role of Magnesium defficiency as it relates to develping type II diabetes.  It's kind of a cheesy article, but it may be a place to start for someone else's research:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Diabetes-Symptoms-Low-Magnesium-Levels-Connected&id=570293

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
Magnesium in a bath:
I also found this very interesting Q&A regarding using epsom salts...it relates to alkaline promoting fungus growth...so a heads up for the Candida sufferers:
"1. Question: Do you recommend Epsom salts in the bath to increase magnesium levels?

1. Answer: No. Epsom salts are very alkaline and I think they can adversely change the pH balance of the skin. One of my relatives used Epsom salt baths to soak his tired feet and legs and soon afterwards developed a leg rash as well as a case of itchy, Athlete's foot - exactly the places that had soaked the most in the Epsom salts.

His rash and fungus both cleared up with a home treatment of apple cider vinegar. Vinegar is very acidic and apparently killed off the fungus and whatever was causing the rash. He'd never had any rashes or fungal infections before he had the Epsom salt bath, and has not had any since, so I do believe the odds were, for him at least, that the Epsom salts caused the problems. Perhaps other people may not have as bad a reaction, but personally I would not use Epsom salts after his experience."
http://www.ctds.info/magnesium-faq.html

Maybe vinegar with epsom salts would be acidic enough to break down the alkaline salts and make it more able to be absorbed ??? 

I also found a site that promotes magnesium oil that is supposed to be readily absorbed through the skin.  ??? (tincture of epsom anyone?) ;)

Offline andiki

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 05:32:40 PM »
Congratulations!! Now you're an expert on Magnesium! Good job. I mean it, you did a great research about the subject. It was very interesting and helpful because my husband struggles with muscle tension specially in his torso, neck and face. Though we usually eat food that contain magnesium I think it's not in the appropiate amounts so I'll keep an eye on my shopping list! Thank you for your research. LIke I said you did a graeat job.

NOw you have your own thesis (did I spell it ok??) LOL!  :D

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 02:55:24 AM »
I've been reading up on magnesium as well... I'm taking Natural Calm and am very pleased with it. I sleep much better and overall feel better. I'm also doing epsom salt baths. I've done them off an on for several years and have never gotten any fungal issues. Though I have read that mag taken internally can feed yeast, though I haven't noticed any effect like that. I'm also using magnesium oil as a deoderant and it works great. The reason I've increased my mag is due to the fact that I'm pregnant and it is supposed to help with easier childbirth.

I just finished this book on magnesium... The Magnesium Factor  http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Factor-Mildred-Seelig/dp/1583331565
I got it at our library.

I also have The Magnesium Miracle on order at our library... http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Magnesium-Carolyn-Dean/dp/0345445880

I'm also giving our five year old small doses of mag and I think he is calmer. I'm making hot cocoa at night for all of us with a mexican chocolate that is mostly cocoa nibs.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »
I found this article tonight on Magnesium Deficiency and it's link to cancer:
http://www.naturalnews.com/023046.html
"Magnesium chloride is the first and most important item in any person's cancer treatment strategy. Put in the clearest terms possible, our suggestion from the first day on the Survival Medicine Cancer Protocol is to almost drown oneself in transdermally applied magnesium chloride. It should be the first, not the last thing, we think of when it comes to cancer. It takes about three to four months to drive up cellular magnesium levels to where they should be when treated intensely transdermally but within days patients will commonly experience its life saving medical/healing effects. For many people whose bodies are starving for magnesium, the experience is not too much different than for a person coming out of a desert desperate for water. It is that basic to life, that important, that necessary."

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 03:28:57 AM »
I'm also using magnesium oil as a deoderant and it works great. The reason I've increased my mag is due to the fact that I'm pregnant and it is supposed to help with easier childbirth.

Hey Prairiechild, where do you get your magnesium oil from? Just curious b/c we'd like to try some here for various reasons.

BTW, what are cocoa nibs? You can PM me on this since it is off-topic. Thanks.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 05:49:10 AM »
I just bought 2 ounces of mag oil at my local hfs. Expensive, but wanted to try it first. I'll buy it online somewhere next time.

Cocoa nibs are roasted cocoa nuts. They don't have the sugar that chocolate does and they are one of the highest food sources of magnesium

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 03:56:58 AM »
Very interesting!  Do you have suggestions for a brand of highly absorbed magnesium?  I do have the 'cluster effect' they were talking about...mitro valve prolapse, asthma and eczema and my husband has migraines.  I'm also not sleeping well lately and I feel my bones are not as strong as they were.  We had my husband's chelated magnesium tested (it's supposed to be one of the better brands) and the woman who tested it said it wasn't enough.  I look forward to anything else you find out!  BTW...did I miss anything concerning toxicity?  I didn't see anything but the possibility of diarrhea with over consumption. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:42 AM »
I'm also using magnesium oil as a deoderant and it works great. The reason I've increased my mag is due to the fact that I'm pregnant and it is supposed to help with easier childbirth.

Hey Prairiechild, where do you get your magnesium oil from? Just curious b/c we'd like to try some here for various reasons.

BTW, what are cocoa nibs? You can PM me on this since it is off-topic. Thanks.
If cocoa nibs are a rich source of mag, then it's not off topic.  ;D

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1641.msg70595.html#msg70595
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 06:23:39 AM »
T, no you don't have to worry about toxicity. Your body will excrete any extra. I like the Natural Calm brand of magnesium. Just buy it online as it costs $40 at the hfs, but around $20 online.

I also take magnesium glycinate or magnesium chloride. Magnesium oil topically is a good source and I also like epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate).

The top forms for magnesium are supposed to be magnesium glycinate or magnesium taurate according to what I've read. I prefer something that is a powder or liquid as they usually don't have as many fillers and you don't have to worry if they even disolve.

I took a look at mag citrate at walmart and didn't buy any as it has saccharin. It is intended as a laxative, but I was curious about how it would work as a deodorant. The Natural Calm is also mag citrate in an ionic form and I've been happy with it.

I read that mag aspartate is not a good form to take. Neurotoxic or something like that.

It takes several months of oral mag supplements to resolve mag deficiency. I am feeling better on mag, less muscle twitches, but they haven't totally resolved yet. It is not the kind of thing that you can take for several weeks and then say "it didn't work for me" because it takes longer than that to resolve the problem.

Eventually I want to try a magnesium taurate, but first want to use up all these other forms.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 04:47:50 AM »
Thought I'd post this for reference even though it's somewhat repetitive.  It seems to be a 'Readers Digest' version of some of the things discussed here  :D

http://www.ehow.com/how_3954_absorb-magnesium-supplements.html

Offline FindingMe

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »
  I have also seen spinach** and chocolate (raw cocoa beans)** listed as good sources of Magnesium on other sites.

**please note how many of the high Magnesium foods are on the above list for containing phytic and oxalic acids, so they are not actually usable forms of magnesium unless you sprout/soak or other wise deactivate the acids before consumption.

Okay, so, if one was wanting to use some form of chocolate (nibs? cacao beans?) as a source of absorbable magnesium, what do I have to do to them to make the acids deactivated? I'm not familiar with the sprouting/soaking method.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »
As far as I know, you would just need to soak the nibs overnight in water.  It's the same process you do with dried beans I think.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 04:03:20 PM »
I had posted this on the bedwetting thread, and though it would be good to note here as well:

I found this in the Prescription for Nutritional Healing, James and Phyllis Balch:

"Magnesium:
Warnings ...the presence of flouride, and high amounts of zinc and vitamin D all increase the body's need for magnesium... 
Large amounts of fats, cod liver oil, calcium, vitamin D and protein decrease magnesium absorption.  Foods high in oxolic acid, such as almonds, chard, cocoa, rhubar, spinach, and tea, also inhibit magnesium absorption."

Also, just for reference, here are some natural sources of magnesium:
"...dairy products, fish, meat and seafood.  Other rich food sources include apples, apricots, avacados, bananas, blackstap molasses, brewer's yeast, brown rice, figs, garlic, kelp, lima beans, millet, nuts, peaches, black-eyed peas, salmon, sesame seeds, tofu, tourla, green leafy vegetables, wheat and whole grains."

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 09:33:52 AM »
"Magnesium:
Warnings ...the presence of flouride, and high amounts of zinc and vitamin D all increase the body's need for magnesium... 
Large amounts of fats, cod liver oil, calcium, vitamin D and protein decrease magnesium absorption.  Foods high in oxolic acid, such as almonds, chard, cocoa, rhubar, spinach, and tea, also inhibit magnesium absorption."

"...dairy products, fish, meat and seafood.  Other rich food sources include apples, apricots, avacados, bananas, blackstap molasses, brewer's yeast, brown rice, figs, garlic, kelp, lima beans, millet, nuts, peaches, black-eyed peas, salmon, sesame seeds, tofu, tourla, green leafy vegetables, wheat and whole grains."

Based on this information, it's hard to image anyone who eats healthy being deficient in magnesium. 

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 10:01:20 AM »
This from Weston A Price:

PMS has been completely reversed by addition of calcium, magnesium and vitamin D.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/vitamindmiracle.html

So maybe we should take our CLO, magnesium and Calcium!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 10:03:24 AM »
More from WAPF, same link as above:

Adequate calcium and magnesium, as well as other minerals, are critical parts of vitamin D therapy. Without calcium and magnesium in sufficient quantities, vitamin-D supplementation will withdraw calcium from the bone and will allow the uptake of toxic minerals. Do not supplement vitamin D and do not sunbathe unless you are sure you have sufficient calcium and magnesium to meet your daily needs. Weston Price suggested a minimum of 1,200-2,400 mg of calcium daily. Research suggests that 1,200-1,500 mg is adequate as a supplement for most adults, both men and women. (Magnesium intake should be half that of calcium.)

"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 10:03:56 AM »
In response to Amy I actually see it differently...It looks like there are many healthy things in both the depleting category and the natural sources category.  God probably intended this in order to maintain a healthy balance.  We, however give in to using some of the 'depleters' for health reasons and/or cravings and these may overwhelm the good stuff.  I think this is a situation where you may need to listen to your body and choose carefully based on a condition that would lean toward a deficiency.  I was just reading a blurb (haven't gotten into the meat of the book yet) in 'Pain Free in 6 Weeks' by Dr. Sherry A. Rogers that speaks to a magnesium deficiency being a source of pain.  I'm eager to read the rest.  It would seem that there are some very specific warning signs of deficiency and a healthy diet is different for different people.  

Not meaning to be controversial...just food for thought!   :)

Offline MichelleB

• Learning
  • Towing the broken jeep round the yard, redneck fun
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »
WOW!!
I want to thank hi_itsgwen for her great research!! Magnesium is my new favorite supplement!!!!!

Any one who has used it for labor & delivery please post what you did and how it turned out!!!
Ps113:9 He settles the barren woman as a happy mother of children
3 years unexplained infertility VS. GOD'S POWER!!!!
10-29-06
1-22-09

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 05:11:26 PM »
"Magnesium:

Based on this information, it's hard to image anyone who eats healthy being deficient in magnesium. 

Well, I wouldn't be so sure.  Lots of the foods that provide it can also block it For example, phytic acids in grains that are unsoaked cause the magnesium to not be abosorbed.  Another thing to consider is that we have so many supplements available now, that it would seem rather easy to overdo with the calcium, vit. D, and especially get a little overly happy with the cod liver oil. :)
And don't even get me started with the flouride issue (water, toothpaste, etc.)
So a person can eat healthy and still have an issue with magnesium.
It's only needed in small amounts, but it's a critical player. 

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 08:04:04 AM »
Thank you all for all the information you've posted on magnesium.  It has come at just the right time for me.  About 3 weeks ago, I had a grand mal seizure.  As I was coming out of the seizure, I had a major panic attack.  For 2 weeks following I had heavy depression and then during the 3rd week, I had intermittent depression with a frequent underlying feeling of panic and tiredness.  These are just a few of the things that were going on.  Having had epilepsy for years, I have had my share of seizures and none of this has ever happened to me before in even the smallest degree.

I happened to read the adrenal thread and read a little about magnesium, there.  It sounded like something I might need.  Yesterday, I started taking a magnesium supplement that I bought called "Ionic Fizz Magnesium Plus".  By the end of the day (2 doses of the mag.) I had my energy back, the depression was gone, and the panic was gone.  For the first time since my seizure, I slept very calmly and well (not starting at every sound and movement).  This really blew my mind. 

Today, I got this article from "Natural News" which I subscribe to.  The article is titled "Magnesium: The Lamp of Life" by Mark Sircus Ac., OMD.  I actually think it's an excerpt from a book.  Anyway, this is one of the most amazing articles giving insight to all the ways our bodies use magnesium and why it is so vital.  As a diabetic and epileptic, I don't know why my doc. has not suggested it to me before! 

Some of the things he mentions in the article are how magnesium is needed to help with

Insulin resistance (getting rid of it)
Glucose tolerance
Glutathione production (and a better ability to neutralize mercury)
DHEA production

...and lots more. 

This article was a fascinating read and I highly recommend reading it to anyone since it touches on so many points of health.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024847.html
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline MichelleB

• Learning
  • Towing the broken jeep round the yard, redneck fun
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 05:25:11 AM »
No takers on useing Magnesium to help with labor and delivery???
When I bought my supplements at the HFS the herbalist said that is is really good to help you relax and the info she had me read said that it can be sured during l&d. I just don't know what the exact "recipe" is on how to us it.....
Hopefully this bump will get an answer...
Ps113:9 He settles the barren woman as a happy mother of children
3 years unexplained infertility VS. GOD'S POWER!!!!
10-29-06
1-22-09

YoopreMama

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 05:31:31 AM »
Here's a thread on using it during labor:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,7493.0.html
:)

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »
I need some advice for my dh.  I believe he has calcification of soft tissue in his shoulders. It seems to be getting worse.  I believe that magnesium supplementation would help get rid of the built up calcium.  Does anyone else have experience with this?
Would he have to take mag. and cal. together? How do you know if you should take them together ? I noticed with the nature's calm there is some with calc. and some without.

Thank you so much in advance!