Author Topic: Feeding your Beneficial Bacteria  (Read 1880 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Feeding your Beneficial Bacteria
« on: September 27, 2008, 05:03:31 PM »
I ran across this quote in a website, and thought others might find it interesting as well:

Your large intestine contains a multitude of beneficial bacteria that are required for your body's health. They are called the "friendly flora," or the beneficial symbiotic microbes, and they support the health of your whole body by promoting healthy immune function and providing important molecules to your intestinal tract cells to promote their growth, thus sustaining overall intestinal tract integrity. These microbes use some of the fibers you eat as fuel for their own growth, and through their own metabolism produce molecules called short-chain fatty acids (SCFA). SCFA production by these friendly flora has been associated with a decrease in cancerous colonic cells, reduction of serum cholesterol, and maintenance of healthy blood sugar levels and healthy intestinal tract cell walls.

Not all fiber is fermented by the friendly flora in your intestinal tract. Some, as discussed above, goes through your entire system unchanged, binding toxins and waste products as it goes, and promoting healthy elimination. Some fibers can be fermented by microbes of all types, while other fibers are preferentially fermented by the "friendly flora," the bacteria that are most beneficial to your body, including Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus. When these friendly bacteria are given their favorite types of fibers, called "prebiotic fibers," they will flourish, significantly improving the health of your digestive tract. Excellent sources of these prebiotic fibers include foods such as Jerusalem artichoke, chicory, rice fiber, and soy fiber.
  from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=7

Now, I'm not opening up a big ole' can of soy fiber, but this looked like some good info for those dealing with GI imbalances.

The rest of the article is very interesting as well.

~Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.