Author Topic: Benefits of Running  (Read 21725 times)

Offline queentea

• Adept
Re: Benefits of Running
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »
I am 39 years old and have never ran until recently.  I slowly worked up to being able to job 1-1/2 miles.  The problem is that 8 out of 10 times, this activates my bowels, and I either have to stop in the middle or sometimes don't make it quick enough to the bathroom.  Is this normal?

Yes, running always gets my bowels "moving" though I usually suffer through my run then go lol.  I would recommend doing something natural to get you to move before you run so that you know you are "empty" Running has really helped to make me regular!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 05:01:30 PM »
Any tips on returning to running after a 10 respiratory flu? I am anxious to get back to running 1-1/2 miles again, but don't want to overdo it too quickly.

If you have a fever and body aches, don't run. If you are stuffy or have some congestion go ahead and run, but take it slow and see how you feel.  I always give myself the option that if I still feel bad after the first 10-15 min, I'll stop. Listen to your body. Sometimes running can help get the stuffiness out of my head, but I am running in the cold right now. I don't know what your climate is like.  If you have a cough, again, if it isn't too bad, start out slow, and if you start hacking, give it up and try in a few days when the cough isn't so bad.  Key is to go slow when recovering from illness. HTH.

Offline gumbo25

• Learning
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
what's funny is that it still happens even if i have went to the bathroom right before.  this just seems strange to me. i sometimes i actually have an accident before i make it to the bathroom.

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 12:27:02 PM »
what's funny is that it still happens even if i have went to the bathroom right before.  this just seems strange to me. i sometimes i actually have an accident before i make it to the bathroom.

Then I would think that you have something going on. Does this happen with any other form of cardio exercise?

Offline gumbo25

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »

Then I would think that you have something going on. Does this happen with any other form of cardio exercise?
no i have walked and done elipticals and resistance machines for years, and that never happens.  not even on 2 hour walks.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 10:31:16 AM »
Gumbo25-

I know someone who has similar problems and they seem to be better if there is a routine.  For example, always running at the same time of day or after the same activities.  For the person I know, running at least 2 hrs after eating seems to have helped.  Not necessarily the first week or even the second week but after a sustained pattern, the problem went away.\

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline gumbo25

• Learning
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 04:35:50 PM »
Gumbo25-

I know someone who has similar problems and they seem to be better if there is a routine.  For example, always running at the same time of day or after the same activities.  For the person I know, running at least 2 hrs after eating seems to have helped.  Not necessarily the first week or even the second week but after a sustained pattern, the problem went away.\

Sarah K
thanks sarah, i have wondered if my body would adjust as i continue to do it.  it seemed like it was getting a little better when i was running regularly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:48:36 PM by boysmama »

Offline gumbo25

• Learning
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 04:30:54 AM »
Why am I experiencing muscle soreness when I having been jogging for several months now? Is it best to rest, or just walk, or push through it and keep jogging?

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 02:27:44 PM »
Why am I experiencing muscle soreness when I having been jogging for several months now? Is it best to rest, or just walk, or push through it and keep jogging?

are you experiencing soreness after a run or during the run? are you running every day or giving yourself a day of rest in between runs?

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »
Hello runners---

I am on week 3 of a 10 week 1/2 marathon training schedule.  Before this I was running about two miles 4 times a week.  The longest run so far was today...6 miles.  It actually went pretty well.

My question is about my knees.  They are so sore and weak...like if I go to sit down or squat down.  I feel like I have 60 year old plus knees and I am only 33!  :)  They don't hurt while running.

Any advice on supplements for my knees?  Or will they gradually get stronger?  That is what I am hoping for.  Running has been a great thing for me to take on at this point of my life.  Thanks!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 02:05:57 PM »
Omega oils are good for joint ills BUT I'm guessing you are hoping to treat the problem and not just the symptoms. I have not seen your running form.  But if you are running like the average runner, I believe I know your problem and the cure.

These two links are a start:

Heel strike vs. forefoot strike
http://www.youtube.com/user/njsportsmed#p/a/u/1/XrOgDCZ4GUo

Is it the shoes?
http://www.youtube.com/user/njsportsmed#p/a/u/2/9itkEkcQ8WM

There is a WTM topic about this idea.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,25996.0.html
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »
Omega oils are good for joint ills BUT I'm guessing you are hoping to treat the problem and not just the symptoms. I have not seen your running form.  But if you are running like the average runner, I believe I know your problem and the cure.

These two links are a start:

Heel strike vs. forefoot strike
http://www.youtube.com/user/njsportsmed#p/a/u/1/XrOgDCZ4GUo

Is it the shoes?
http://www.youtube.com/user/njsportsmed#p/a/u/2/9itkEkcQ8WM

There is a WTM topic about this idea.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,25996.0.html

Great idea....heel to butt. :D  I will try it Monday.  My husband also suggested stretching my legs out further.  I was hesitant to do that on my long run today...I thought I may wear out quicker initially.
Monday I just have to do 3 miles so I can experiment more.
Thank you!  P.S.  I have come across web pages of people who run barefoot.
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 05:06:18 PM »
Hello runners---

I am on week 3 of a 10 week 1/2 marathon training schedule.  Before this I was running about two miles 4 times a week.  The longest run so far was today...6 miles.  It actually went pretty well.

My question is about my knees.  They are so sore and weak...like if I go to sit down or squat down.  I feel like I have 60 year old plus knees and I am only 33!  :)  They don't hurt while running.

Any advice on supplements for my knees?  Or will they gradually get stronger?  That is what I am hoping for.  Running has been a great thing for me to take on at this point of my life.  Thanks!
I've been intrigued lately by the link between some types of knee weakness and a compromised gallbladder. Not something you automatically link!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2010, 01:19:29 AM »
You also need to be sure to have GOOD running shoes. These are the only shoes that I spend a lot of  money on. I would reccomend going to a running store with the shoes that you have been running in. They will be able to tell what kind of runner you are and what kind of shoe you need.
Also make sure you are not increasing your miles by more than 10%  a week. Your joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles all need to adjust to the increase in miles. A great online resource is runnersworld.com they have a training coach where you can put in your current milage and the race you want to run and it will give you a safe program to follow. I can't stress enough the importance of good shoes. Take it from someone who did it wrong and end up with two stress fractures and in a boot or 8 weeks.

Offline herbalist/farm girl

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
Hi! I'm new here but so glad I found this web site! After reading much on this topic, :) I heard several different times that you need good running shoes, but I have NO IDEA what "good running shoes" are, and what is the difference from ordinary tennis shoes? If any one could help me out, I'd be grateful!!!