Author Topic: Benefits of Running  (Read 21726 times)

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Benefits of Running
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:09:01 AM »
OK, I did not see a specific thread devoted just to running, so here it is!

Our entire family has decided to get in shape for a 5K December Jingle Bell run here in our area. Our kids are all old enough to participate, and what's worse, they are actually faster runners than us parents. Well, THAT doesn't take much  ::).

So, I decided to put together a small list of the benefits from running/jogging. If you can think of any others, please feel free to add.
~FAST weight loss
~Better cardiac function
~Increased oxygenation to the body
~Great stress relief (we really need this)
~Fun family time

Any of you who already run, please give us oxygen-sucking, out-of-shape, overweight beginners some tips. And maybe a kick in the rear end, too. Motivation is a great thing ;D ;D.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline southsanjuan

• ANNIEHERE
  • Learning
Re: Benefits of Running
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:30:33 AM »
Hey! Cool, I am an AVID runner and have been for at least 10 years now.  I started seriously when a friend asked me to join a team doing the Mount Taylor quadrathalon in New Mexico.  I was to do the run portion of it.  At the time I weighed 140lbs and stood 5'3".  I was overweight.  As soon as I started running, the lbs melted off, I had way more energy and also was addicted to running.  It was fun.  Since then, my husband and I have made running a part of our lives.  We run together and race together--although he is much more of an avid mountain biker.  I just competed in my first post pregnancy races and am due to run my third this weekend. 
It is true that there are many benefits to running.  I have read that regular, non-strenuous running improves joint strength as well as boots your bodies ability to create and maintain synovial fluid and strong cartilage.  Endorphins are released every time you run, your heart muscle is strengthened as well as your vascular system!  Blood is cleaned, lymph more efficiently circulated and the list goes on!  The best part for me, is that via a modified BOB stroller, I am able to run with my 5 month old daughter--she loves to run with Mama.  I am so excited to see this running thread!  I have so many ideas and advice if you want!  I totally recommend the magazine Runners World as it is well written, well researched and CLEAN.  You will not have to screen it for children.  Okay, better go!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:37:51 AM by southsanjuan »
BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:38:37 AM »
Yay, Mama Sita!  :D :D

This is an awesome article Dr. Mercola reviewed called, "How to Go From Sedentary to Running in Just Five Steps".  It has great guidelines that make beginning to run much less overwhelming.

The article was really helpful for me when I started running because I felt so awful and out-of-shape when I realized I couldn't run half as far as I thought I should be able to.  The guidelines kind of put my out-of-shapeness in perspective and showed me how to effectively build my running workouts.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/07/17/how-to-go-from-sedentary-to-running-in-just-five-steps.aspx

Another thing that I added to my running a couple times a week(I should say jogging -- I'm not really that fast!) is a technique called "interval training", which I also came across on Mercola.  Basically, it is doing short bursts of intense exercise with a short "recovery time" in between.  The way I add it to my running is just by chopping my running into segments.  I run as consistently hard as I can for a designated section of my run, and then walk for a designated section (that's the "recovery"), then run hard, walk, etc.  About 3 of each segment in the whole "run".

There are a few reasons they have found this to be helpful for the body, but my main reason for doing it is because it seems to help women lose weight more effectively than just running.  It also seems to help increase endurance, better.  

This is the article about it that Dr. Mercola reviewed:
http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/if-you-aren-t-using-this-type-of-exercise-you-are-missing-out-big-time-13930.aspx
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:43:20 AM »
We're all runners here, too- my kids are on a free cross country team run by volunteers- it's really great.  They have a few meets against other teams, and they practice a couple times a week, although practices are not mandatory and neither are the meets.  You can do as much or as little as you like.  We joined 4 years ago and my kids could barely run at all.  Now my oldest is coming in first place almost every time he runs a meet or a longer race.  They train on their own and enter 5 and 10ks regularly.  

The kids have inspired mom and dad to get back into running, too.  I trained for and ran a marathon in 2000- 3 kids later I had stopped running altogether.  But now I am finally back up to my 3 mile route after years of doing nothing.  My husband is up to 3 miles as well.  We do races from time to time- it's so fun!!

Advice from me- start out walking and running and work up to all running.  When I decided to start running, I couldn't even run a block and I was overweight.  So I mapped out a 3 mile route and ran for 30 seconds/walked for 3 minutes for the whole thing.  Then a week later I bumped up to 1 minute running/3 minutes walking, the next week 2 minutes running/2 minutes walking and so on.  I lessened the walking and increased the running as I got better at it.  Before I knew it, I was running the whole 3 miles.

Two things you really need: 

1) Excellent shoes
2) A really good sports bra  :D
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:57 AM »
what I find really helps me to run longer is using an ipod.  It's almost like if I can't hear myself breathing hard, I can do much better.

Does anyone know what to do when you first start running, after about 4 days of it, I get to where my knee just hurts while I'm running, but no other time.  I"ve tried to keep pushing myself on it, but it really does hurt.  Any suggestions?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »
what I find really helps me to run longer is using an ipod.  It's almost like if I can't hear myself breathing hard, I can do much better.

Does anyone know what to do when you first start running, after about 4 days of it, I get to where my knee just hurts while I'm running, but no other time.  I"ve tried to keep pushing myself on it, but it really does hurt.  Any suggestions?
Ice joints if they hurt, and make sure you are stretching good before and after.  Make sure you are wearing good shoes.
 Those first days back are always killers on my shins so I make sure I do alot of stretching in this area....  http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/shin_splints has exercises for shin splints with pictures (this always helps me).

I also ditto the iPod, heavy-duty sports bra, and shoes are a must.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the encouragement, ladies! We will certainly take to heart all the good advice given.

Hubby and I used to run, BK. Now we just run WITH the kids, to volleyball practice, wrestling practice, baseball games, you know the routine. But now we REALLY want to run WITH the kids! We'll see how this whole thing goes....I'm psyched! Ready to run!

Offline K.Sarah

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:17:36 PM »
I just recently started to try running/jogging/walking again after some years.  I have always wished I could run and always have been horrible at it.  After our 3rd baby I ran a mile on the treadmill at the gym every day (grief therapy for myself after a loss) and lost 25 pounds pretty quick.  After that, I've done mostly nothing, just hangin' in there for two more kids and various changes. 

Now I'm trying to do some running in the neighborhood now that I live in a very well sidewalked area.  Last night my dd9 asked me to jog with her!  So I did, and it was fun!  I know I look a little silly sometimes, because my form is not good and I'm about 35 lbs. overweight, but who cares anymore?  It's fun, and it makes me feel good.
Happily married to my kind of guy, mama to 4 great  kiddos here and one little beauty with our Father.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:18:57 AM »
Ok, this is not about the benefits of running...just another thought on doing it. 

I find that if I run in a place that bores me, I don't want to keep doing it.  I hate running on pavement and in town.  We have a big section of hills covered with woods about 5 min. walk from our house, and dh and I go there.  I love it and  look forward to going there.  I like the challenge of a changing path and the variety of trails. 

So, if you can -- run at a place that you really enjoy seeing/being in -- whether it's the neighborhood, some park, woods, treadmill, etc.

Also...running (and pretty much any exercise, I'm guessing) is known to raise your HDL pretty quickly.  I once had mine checked 2 times in an 18 day period -- at the beginning and at the end.  In between, I started jogging (started out with walking then walk/jog, etc).  Previous to the 18 days, I had not been exercising.  At the end of the 18 days, when my bloodwork was done, my HDL had shot up.  I have the lab work, still, but I'm not sure where.  Anyway...that always amazed me. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 03:05:31 AM »
I began running again in March and have lost over 15 lbs. without changing much in the way of diet.  Running is by far the best way to loose weight, my Dr. even told me that!

I first started running in 2005 and was really stupid about it.  I was so caught up in loosing weight that I didn't listen to my body and I ended up with 2 stress fractures all the way across my tibia...8 weeks in a boot and then got discouraged and quit....weight came back again!

Now I do things wisely.  Because I am 41, have thyroid issues and take synthroid (bone loss is common with hypothyroid) I NEVER run 2 consecutive days in a row.  It is always with at least one day of rest in between!  I cross train with biking, weights, or just don't do anything. Right now life is very busy so I am lucky to run 2 times a week though I shoot for 3 days. 

I also got smart and began with a program called "couch to 5k in 12 weeks"  I think it was at Runner's World or Cool Running.  It started slow with walking and running short intervals and slowly increased them so that your muscles and bones could adjust to the new exercise.

The last thing is to have good shoes!!!  They totally make a difference and can save you from an injury!  They are the only expensive shoes I own!!!  The rest I get cheap, but I won't for my running shoes!!!  Good socks can also make a difference.

My last 5k race I shaved 1 min off my time and was so happy even though I got 2nd in my age class.  Running can be a lot of fun and a great "date"  My dh and I often run or bike together and it is great for some "alone" time!!  I'd love to get the kids involved too!

Oh, another tip to keep from getting bored, find a friend to run with, it keeps things from getting boring especially those long runs!  I ran the last 5K with a friend and we pushed eachother on and both of us were shocked at our time!

I'd like some tips on treadmill running.  I HATE IT WITH A PASSION!!!  I would rather bundle up and run in the snow! 

You guys got me excited to go running today....thanks!

burlsgirl

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »
We're taking our first "famiy run" tonight. It should be interesting: Dh with his herniated disk/pinched sciatic nerve; two jogging strollers, me, and my 8 & 6 year old daughters.  ::)

I'm excited, though I SO prefer to get my workout in in the morning. Too easy to not do it once I've waited all day! But it defeats our whole purpose of doing it as a family if I go alone before they're awake, like I've done all week.

Wish us luck!
Em

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 08:20:04 AM »
It's almost like if I can't hear myself breathing hard, I can do much better.

BREATHING HARD???!!!!!

Shoot, is there any way to distract myself from suffocating as my boobs are smothering my face (even in a tight equestrian sports bra), losing my balance from the rolls of C-sec fat flopping around, or the fire starting from my shorts rubbing together between my legs ??? 

Even if I could pretend that an Ipod would keep ME distracted from those inconveniences, you can be certain that the neighbors would certainly not be able to block out the sounds of the emergency vehicle entourage that would most certainly be following me . . .

:-[

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:27:55 AM by Gigi »

Offline andiki

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 09:21:08 AM »

I find that if I run in a place that bores me, I don't want to keep doing it.  I hate running on pavement and in town. 

I know what are you talking about. It's the same thing to me and I know that I should be running every day 'cause I live in the country but after I had my daughter (2 years ago) I stopped it. But this thread has encouraged me a lot!! ;)

I just have a question... When I'm doing a cardio activity sometimes I get nausea and have to stop. Is it because I'm out of physical condition?? Someone once told me that it's because my heart rate gets high too fast and takes long time for myself to recover. Has anybody experienced this before?? I'd really appreciate some ads...

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 09:41:46 AM »
I get nauseous also if I go too fast- I take it as a sign of overdoing it and step back.  Walk and run.  Or slow down.  No matter how slow I run I can always run slower  ;)  I have found that a brisk warm up walking period makes my run much smoother, maybe because I get my heart rate up gradually instead of shocking it by running right away?

Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 02:14:14 AM »
It's almost like if I can't hear myself breathing hard, I can do much better.

BREATHING HARD???!!!!!

Shoot, is there any way to distract myself from suffocating as my boobs are smothering my face (even in a tight equestrian sports bra), losing my balance from the rolls of C-sec fat flopping around, or the fire starting from my shorts rubbing together between my legs ??? 

Even if I could pretend that an Ipod would keep ME distracted from those inconveniences, you can be certain that the neighbors would certainly not be able to block out the sounds of the emergency vehicle entourage that would most certainly be following me . . .

:-[

LOL!....Gigi, you're a stitch!

burlsgirl

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 02:51:53 AM »
I need for you experienced runners to help me: I have two beginners schedules that I'm trying to choose from. They seem to be pretty different. Would you guys mind looking at them both and telling me which you think would be best to follow?

I've been doing my own thing since last Saturday, taking this past Wednesday off. Right now I can do the run 1 minute/walk 2 minute pretty easily.

I'm planning on doing a 5K October 25. I don't want to push too hard, yet I want to suceed at this so badly. I DO NOT expect to be able to run the entire race. I just want to keep advancing. I don't want to be running 1/walking 2, five weeks from now, kwim?

So, which one do y'all think??? Here are the links:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381--9397-2-1X5-3,00.html

Thanks for taking the time to look!
Em

burlsgirl

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 08:27:24 AM »
bump  :)

Nickole

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »
Yay, Mama Sita!  :D :D

This is an awesome article Dr. Mercola reviewed called, "How to Go From Sedentary to Running in Just Five Steps".  It has great guidelines that make beginning to run much less overwhelming.

The article was really helpful for me when I started running because I felt so awful and out-of-shape when I realized I couldn't run half as far as I thought I should be able to.  The guidelines kind of put my out-of-shapeness in perspective and showed me how to effectively build my running workouts.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/07/17/how-to-go-from-sedentary-to-running-in-just-five-steps.aspx

Another thing that I added to my running a couple times a week(I should say jogging -- I'm not really that fast!) is a technique called "interval training", which I also came across on Mercola.  Basically, it is doing short bursts of intense exercise with a short "recovery time" in between.  The way I add it to my running is just by chopping my running into segments.  I run as consistently hard as I can for a designated section of my run, and then walk for a designated section (that's the "recovery"), then run hard, walk, etc.  About 3 of each segment in the whole "run".

There are a few reasons they have found this to be helpful for the body, but my main reason for doing it is because it seems to help women lose weight more effectively than just running.  It also seems to help increase endurance, better.  

This is the article about it that Dr. Mercola reviewed:
http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/if-you-aren-t-using-this-type-of-exercise-you-are-missing-out-big-time-13930.aspx

I came across this too on the Mercola site.  I always like to read the comments to his articles as well b/c there are very informed people on there.  What is funny is I found out about the interval training from the comments of an article he wrote about how you need to jog like 50 minutes or something to get results.  But he was talking about jogging at a steady pace.  I just tried to find the article, but cannot, sorry.  I will try again and post if I find it.  It was in a fairly recent newsletter.  Anyway, basically short interval training is much healthier than long distance same paced running, like marathons.  Marathon runners tend to have more lung issues and other health problems and sprinters do not, and if you look at the lean muscular look of sprinters versus the skinny look of marathon runners (think of the recent olympics), wow, that speaks volumes to me.  With sprinting, in intervals, you are exercising your muscles, like lung and heart, much much better, whereas long distance runners, they tend to have more health issues and it seems to be related to that type of running versus sprinting.  SO we have started doing the sprinting interval thing, and I cannot even last 5 minutes and I am beat.  Wow.  You get a much better workout for your muscles in a shorter amount of time. I will work my way up.  Katie, I do 8 seconds sprinting then 12 jogging.  That is the interval I do.  What do you do?  And do you have any more tips?  How long do you last, lol?  It is not as fun and relaxing as a nice jog I must say.     

Ok, found it! 
 http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/08/16/an-hour-of-exercise-five-times-a-week-is-the-only-way-to-lose-weight.aspx

Now I am bookmarking it! 
The good info with this article is in the comments posted in response.  I learned a lot.   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:09:00 AM by NickRedeemed »

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »
I need for you experienced runners to help me: I have two beginners schedules that I'm trying to choose from. They seem to be pretty different. Would you guys mind looking at them both and telling me which you think would be best to follow?

I've been doing my own thing since last Saturday, taking this past Wednesday off. Right now I can do the run 1 minute/walk 2 minute pretty easily.

I'm planning on doing a 5K October 25. I don't want to push too hard, yet I want to suceed at this so badly. I DO NOT expect to be able to run the entire race. I just want to keep advancing. I don't want to be running 1/walking 2, five weeks from now, kwim?

So, which one do y'all think??? Here are the links:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381--9397-2-1X5-3,00.html

Thanks for taking the time to look!
Em

I would (I actually did do it) do the coolrunning couch to 5K.  I like it because it fit into my schedule only having to run 3 days a week.  I ran my first 5K just as I finished the program and got first place in my age group.  I almost cried!!  YOU CAN DO IT!!! I just ran my 3rd 5K last weekend and shaved over 2.5 min off my time from the first race, though I only got 2nd place in this one.  I am running another one in a week, so I hope to do even better there.  It was a great program and is good for your body working those muscles and bones into getting used to running.  I did it wrong the first time a few years ago and ended up with a broken leg and 8 weeks in a boot.  Definatly be smart about whatever program you choose and listen to your body!!  HAVE FUN!!

Wouldn't it be cool to have a group of welltellers run a 5K together???

Offline AbbaJava

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 10:44:11 AM »
Running around my southside of Chicago neighborhood is a bold move, but I gotta move!  My treadmill is 70 miles away!  I take my puppy dog, he protects me.  Actually, I think he is so cute he would melt the heart of any body wanting to hurt us. God is a Awesome, making these little creatures that protect us and love us and run with us!

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 05:03:34 AM »
My daughter and I started the Cool Running "Couch to 5K" plan yesterday. It was fun and it gives me a way to tie strings with my teenager. I like to timed aspect of it. just how my brain works.

Offline spencer

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »
I went for my first marathon this last year. It felt great!! I always wanted to know if I could do a 26 mile marathon... and finally prepared to do one.

Here is one article for benefits of running and just weight loss for the average person:
http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/beginning-aerobic-exercise-with-a-treadmill-for-weight-loss-686056.html

Offline JohnsDaughter

• Learning
    • Literary Maidens Publishing
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 12:16:40 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Couch to 5k program??

I am on my 3rd day of the 2nd week, just because I know I can handle more than just walking! ;D

My purpose is to lose about 20lbs -- I'm 5'2" and weigh about 147lbs.  :-\

Thanks in advance!!

You may also email me at tunemyheart AT verizon DOT net

YoopreMama

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »
BUMP for Couch to 5K:

I know there are people w/ experience w/ this...Mrs. B, I think, and someone else...

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 04:37:21 PM »
Mrs. B & Burlsgirl I believe...

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 03:23:15 AM »
Sorry, I didn't see this earlier...
I actually started couch to 5k, but then found that it wasn't pushing me enough, so I found another program called couch to 10k that worked a bit better for me personally.  This is the link I used:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=1462924
To be honest I kind of topped out in week 3 (of Cto10k), but then I'm not seriously training for a 10k, or even a 5k.  Everynow and then I'll push and do the longer run vs. walk times, as I'm really surprised that my body will tolerate it.
I've just had trouble with consistency lately, and haven't had 3 days a week to run.  There has been alot of family illness and stuff like that.
I'm also wanting to lose 20 pounds, and after talking to my MD about it he said that the 30-40 minutes really weren't enough, and that it is now recommended that aerobic exercise be bumped up to 40-50 (or more) minutes for weight loss..... and also continue eating healthy, low-carb meals.

As far as your origianl question, I do think that they couch to 5k program is a good start, but it wasn't a long enough time for me.... you might just want to do a few more of the cycles to extend the time period.  I just don't have alot of time, so if I make time for a workout, I want it to be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:25:34 AM by Mrs. B »

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 04:25:45 AM »
Countycork runs also.  I think she just did a 5K.  Floydian, however, is NOT a runner!  Talk to me about P90X!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
I did couch to 5-k and loved it, kept running and have been running for over 1.5 years.  If you are already in good running shape you could do the 10K program, but ONLY if you have a running past. 

You may be in shape cardio wise, but your joints, ligaments, bones need time to adjust.  I know this because 2 years before I did couch to 5K, I just started running every day and ended up with 2 stress fractures all the way across my leg and had to be in a boot for 8 weeks.  I was in shape already from biking, so I thought I could just jump right into it, nope, gotta get the rest of the body used to doing the running.

Aerobics, lifting, biking, nothing but running gets your body used to running.  If you need more cardio in the beginning, do something else, but don't run more "cuz you think you can"!  Let your body adjust to the pounding of running. Have fun, there is nothing like running for loosing weight, for me ttapp didn't do it, or any other type of exercise.  You get the most bang for your buck with running, nothing else burns calories like running does, so if weight loss is your goal, it's the best option.

Offline gumbo25

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »
I am 39 years old and have never ran until recently.  I slowly worked up to being able to job 1-1/2 miles.  The problem is that 8 out of 10 times, this activates my bowels, and I either have to stop in the middle or sometimes don't make it quick enough to the bathroom.  Is this normal?

Offline gumbo25

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 01:12:58 PM »
Any tips on returning to running after a 10 respiratory flu? I am anxious to get back to running 1-1/2 miles again, but don't want to overdo it too quickly.