Author Topic: What brand of bread maker would you recommend?  (Read 10999 times)

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
What brand of bread maker would you recommend?
« on: August 28, 2006, 08:10:09 AM »
I  have so enjoyed this forum!!!  As a matter of fact, I have found myself having to tear myself away from the computer!

So far, I haven't seen anything regarding bread makers.  Many people have indicated that they have them, or they are going to get one, but what would you avid bakers recommend if I were to go buy a bread maker?

In the past, I have never liked bread makers because they make a loaf that is too dense which makes the bread taste disgusting.  However, I know that some people say that there is such a thing as a bread maker that doesn't do that.  I know there is also the issue of whole grains.  Baking a loaf of whole grain is much different than baking a white loaf.

I have been looking at the Zojirushi x20, but then yesterday I found three reviews saying it makes a dense textured bread.

I so desperately want to make my own bread, but I KNOW that I cannot try doing it all by hand... it will just NEVER happen.  What would all of you recommend?

Offline floydian

• Master
Re: What brand of bread maker would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 08:53:32 AM »
I have a Zojirushi machine and have really, really enjoyed it.  My first one lasted for almost 6 years.  It finally died and I have their latest model.  It's a bit more costly than other brands, I think, but it will make whole wheat bread, and it will make it in loaf form.  This is the machine that the Urban Homemaker recommends.
It has a setting that will allow you to make bread in 2 hours.  I like that setting.  My crusts are a little tough, but the bread is delicious.
My SIL has had hers for almost 7 years.  She makes a different recipe that is better tasting than mine and her crusts aren't tough, but it takes over 3 hours.  I use the bread almost everyday for lunch and I always forget to make it her way in time. 
My 10 yo daughter has been making the bread for me lately which is nice.

It makes a really good, but not all that great for you apple cake.  I also use it to make pizza dough.  
With our crazy schedule, it would be very hard to make bread by hand.  I used to do so when I had fewer children and wasn't yet homeschooling.  I always had a hard time getting my loaves to come out right.  They do really well with this machine.  I rarely have a loaf that comes out too bad to use, and then it's because I did something wrong in the directions.

Hope this helps.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 10:33:47 AM »
Are you wanting a bread maker or a stand mixer?  If you are going to get *serious* or want to make more than one loaf at a time, I would go w/ a stand mixer.  I have a Magic Mill Assistent 2000 DLX.  I bought mine 5 years ago and it may actually be called an Electrolux now (that is who makes it).  You can see it at www.breadbeckers.com.  Anyway, this thing is a workhorse and if it ever dies I will not hesistate to buy another.  I feel stand mixers are more versatile and I get wonderfully light and fluffy bread!  I also grind my own wheat, which makes a big difference, too.  You obviously can't bake the bread in the stand mixer. :)  But I like it that way as I can make bread anyway I want and up to 4 *large* loaves at a time.

The mixer is not cheap but was so worth the money.  Two of my sils got one and love theirs too!  It also comes w/ a batter bowl and attachment for creaming butter, cakes, etc.

Carla
Wife to Doug ('00), Mama to Noah ('02), Claire ('04), and Chloe ('06)

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:49:57 AM »
Are you wanting a bread maker or a stand mixer?  If you are going to get *serious* or want to make more than one loaf at a time, I would go w/ a stand mixer.  I have a Magic Mill Assistent 2000 DLX.  .

Thanks for the recommendation.  I am HOPING to be that serious one day, but right now I know that I need to take one step at a time.  After I get into breadmaking, my next (hopefully quick) purchase will be a grain mill.  As for a mixer, I don't know that I am ready to deal with rising bread yet.

But, one of my concerns with a bread maker is whether or not it can truly handle dough made from whole grain.

Dairae

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 11:59:37 AM »
I have a Zojirushi machine and have really, really enjoyed it.

I LOVE my Zojirushi!

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 12:32:08 PM »
So Floydian and Dairae, does the Zojirushi make a dense textured bread?  Or can it make a whole grain bread light and fluffy similar to handmade?

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 01:53:34 PM »
I think it depends upon which recipe you use.  My SIL's  is better than any loaf I ever tried to make.  My recipe is like homemade with crusts a little crunchy.  It's so much better than store bought.  My recipe is just much faster, so I tend to use it.
I have never used it with anything but wheat that we ground ourselves.  It is designed to handle whole grains, so I wouldn't think it would matter.

Before you buy, I would google Zojirushi bread machine to find the cheapest.  I forget which site I bought mine from.
You may want to check ebay for a grain mill.  I have a newer one, but I had the loud box-like one for over ten years, and it probably would have lasted much longer had I taken better care of it.  My new one is quieter, but not by that much.  I think you can get one pretty cheap if you keep looking.  My older one would grind things my new one won't.  I think you will enjoy your bread more if you go the whole way and grind your own flour.  IMO the bread from the ground flour is sweeter and lighter than the whole wheat flour you get in the store.
This whole system pays for itself in less than a year--or at least it did in my family.  The cheapest ww bread here is more than $1.50 a loaf and that's not even the bread w/o the sugar in it.  We were going through about 5 loaves a week or more.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline morethanalive

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 01:47:15 PM »
We bought a Zojirushi bread maker, and later a rice cooker, and have nothing but good things to say about both. I was concerned that the bread would be like many other loaves I've tried from other machines, but was pleasantly surprised. The horizontal loaf vs. vertical, as is the case with most, seems to make a difference. The 2 mixing blades vs. only one is also nice. If I had to buy another, I'd replace it with another Zojirushi. We purchased ours from cooking.com (I think) about 6 years ago. morethanalive.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 05:26:20 AM »
We bought a Zojirushi bread maker, and later a rice cooker, and have nothing but good things to say about both. I was concerned that the bread would be like many other loaves I've tried from other machines, but was pleasantly surprised. The horizontal loaf vs. vertical, as is the case with most, seems to make a difference. The 2 mixing blades vs. only one is also nice. If I had to buy another, I'd replace it with another Zojirushi. We purchased ours from cooking.com (I think) about 6 years ago. morethanalive.com
The first time I read about the Zojirushi breadmaker, I was thinking "Never heard of it".  Hee hee.  I just realized that I have a Zojirushi rice cooker.  I've had it for years, but it never occurred to me that it was some recommended or well known brand. (my daughter asked me to pronounce it to her yesterday)  hee hee.  So I guess, that's one more vote for Zojirushi products.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline negeland

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 05:50:51 AM »
I love the Zoji. I've had mine for about 5 yrs and it is awesome. You can change the "homemade" bread settings to accommodate your fresh milled flour recipes. I think Marilyn's bread recipe from Urban Homemaker is great! It's reliable, inexpensive and turns out the lightest fluffiest pure whole wheat loaf I have ever eaten. I've been messing with the settings and it is done in 2.5 hours. Check BreadBeckers for more info on the Zoji settings and try the urban homemaker recipe. You won't be sorry!!!

I have a DLX which I've owned for 12 years and it is a workhorse. If you need to churn out a bunch of loaves at a time it's great. For my family it's usually better to just make one hot fresh loaf each day.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 08:47:42 AM »
I got a bread machine for christmas.  I just started my first loaf.  It was kneading it and after a few mintues started making a popping sort of noise.  Does this sound normal?

cecac

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:15:44 AM »
I got a bread machine for christmas.  I just started my first loaf.  It was kneading it and after a few mintues started making a popping sort of noise.  Does this sound normal?

I don't have that type bread machine, but I'd say you might could look in the owner's manual.  There's ususally a troubleshooting graph or question/answer section that might be helpful.  After that, a call to whomever is in the owner's manual would be my next thought.

HTH,
Cara

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 11:55:20 AM »
Anyone have an instruction manual I could borrow for a Regal bread machine?  I bought one for cheap, only used twice, but no instructions with it.  Nothing turned up right away on the google search, just others also needing a manual.
Thanks!
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:11:40 AM »
Maybe this is already posted somewhere, but as I was happily making my second loaf of bread in my Oster bread machine it occured to me that it is baking in an aluminum pan!! I don't really like that idea. Is there some way just to replace the pan? Thanks! KN
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:37:08 AM by kittyninja »

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 11:42:26 AM »
Just go to the 2nd Hand Store and buy whateve ris there. They usually have one for $5. It is worth the checking around to save some money. I always see them there.
Tennille

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »
you mean they will have a stainless steel bread pan? there? don't I have to find one that goes in my breadmaker?

Offline FarmWife

• Adept
    • Amazing Graze Farm
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 12:24:42 AM »
I have never seen a stainless steel bread pan to go in a bread machine.  You are right, you would have to find something that fit your machine. 

I have a Zojirushi.  I bought it used and have used it for years.  It is acting up right now and my husband is trying to fix it.  Since I have no children at home, the Zo is like a handmaid to me.  I never bake in it, but I just put all my ingredients in and set the time I want them done and "she" takes care of the rest.  You can set it to have dough all ready for cinnamon rolls the next morning.  I make pizza dough in it and the way it kneads makes the best french bread out of freshly ground flour. 

One of the main reasons I wanted a Zo was because of its ability to handle the freshly ground flour. 

Only by His merciful grace,
Marci

Come check out our store..
www.amazinggrazefarm.com/store

Offline FarmWife

• Adept
    • Amazing Graze Farm
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 06:45:22 AM »
Maybe this is already posted somewhere, but as I was happily making my second loaf of bread in my Oster bread machine it occured to me that it is baking in an aluminum pan!! I don't really like that idea. Is there some way just to replace the pan? Thanks! KN

I don't bake in mine.  I just let it knead the dough.  Then I put it in my stainless steel bread pans and pop it in the oven.
Only by His merciful grace,
Marci

Come check out our store..
www.amazinggrazefarm.com/store

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »
you mean they will have a stainless steel bread pan? there? don't I have to find one that goes in my breadmaker?
No- you will most likely not find one with a SS pan...But you never know either. Down here in Naples, I can find some neat things since there is affluence all around me...people wanting to try things, but giving up. But I woudl guess that SS would be hard to find....
Tennille