Author Topic: Miscarriage? How can you tell??  (Read 11448 times)

Offline jenibee

• Adept
Miscarriage? How can you tell??
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you know if you're miscarrying/have miscarried?  I've had problems since the beginning with this pregnancy - at 9 weeks and after four bouts of bright red bleeding, I was diagnosed (via ultrasound) with a uterine myoma.  The baby was fine at that point, with a strong heartbeat of 166 beats per minute.  I *miraculously* passed the myoma a few weeks ago.  The bright red bleeding stopped, and I've felt much better.

Now, at 12+ weeks, I've been bleeding dark red (like a period) for the last four days.  How do I know if this is a miscarriage?  If I took a pregnancy test, would it be accurate?  I mean, would it say "pregnant" even if I wasn't pregnant anymore b/c of leftover hormones? 

The reason I'm questioning this is because I know the baby is supposed to be about the size of a fig by this point.  Would I pass "something the size of a fig?"  Would it be recognizable as a baby?  I have a lot of brown/red "goop" (sorry TMI) but nothing that looks like a baby.   :-\

Thanks for being patient with my questions.

Oh - and please move this if there's already another thread on this topic - I couldn't find it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:22:19 PM by jenibee »

Offline Badgermom

• Learning
Re: Miscarriage? How can you tell??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »
No, you can't depend on a pregnancy test at this point.  I miscarried several years ago and I did get a positive test a week or two after I started spotting.  Later, we determined that the baby had probably died several weeks earlier. If a heartbeat cannot be detected, then I would assume that an ultrasound would be the only way to know for sure.  I hope things are still okay for you.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
The reason I'm questioning this is because I know the baby is supposed to be about the size of a fig by this point.  Would I pass "something the size of a fig?"  Would it be recognizable as a baby?  I have a lot of brown/red "goop" (sorry TMI) but nothing that looks like a baby.

If this is a miscarriage, then you would more than likely pass the baby along with the clotting.  You may or may not see it.  The size of the baby will depend on when it stopped growing, but more than likely, it will look like a tiny baby at this point in the pregnancy.

Short of an ultrasound, which would be the fastest way to tell if the pregnancy is 'viable', your doctor could probably also tell by your bloodwork if the pregnancy looks healthy.  There are hormone levels that will definitely signal that something isn't right...they just may not volunteer that information to you.  My doctor's office didn't tell me that my bloodwork was way off on a pregnancy that I lost...until the following pregnancy. 

You are in my prayers, and I hope all is well for you.
~Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:14:30 AM »
Praying!  ~L

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:28:42 AM »
Another sign of a true miscarriage is cramping.  Your cervix has to dilate enough to expel the body.  When I miscarried several years ago, I cramped severely (it felt like labor) just before I passed a large mass.  I didn't get a look at it, but I was sure it was the baby.

I pray that this isn't what's happening to you!  I would get back to the doctor as soon as possible to check things out via ultrasound.  The fact that you've already heard the heartbeat makes it more likely that he/she is still okay.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 01:37:25 PM »
I did notice that when I miscarried, that my early pregnancy symptoms were much more pronounced.  I woke up knowing I was pregnant, as I had suddenly turned into Dolly Parton overnight.  It was literally an overnight, and very pronounced onset of sore bre@sts, frequent urination, etc.  I spotted a bit a week later, and then stopped.  Then I noticed the symptoms of pregancy began to fade to where I no longer felt pregnant.  I began to spot on and off by this time, and knew something was wrong. 

With my other 3 pregnancies, I had never had that extreme onset of early pregnancy symptoms.  I think that my other hormones were wildly compensating or unbalanced from the low progesterone.  My next pregnancy was very healthy, with normal early pregnancy symptoms that came on gradually.

After I miscarried, my doctor's office did an ultrasound to make sure that I had completely passed everything.  She looked at my ovaries, and lo and behold, there was a large egg hatching out.  She told us 'be careful!'   The ovaries may be willing, but your womb needs a bit of time to recover.

We waited a few months, as I wanted to make sure my lining had time to heal and was coming back in full.  You can tell by your period flow...if it's light, then your progesterone level is still low.  If it's heavy, then you have a nice healthy lining ready for a baby. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:02:00 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

cecac

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 03:03:51 PM »
I have not been able to tell except through ultrasound, twice now.  I think it may vary from woman to woman and also different each time.

The first time my body did nothing.  The second time the bleeding never did stop and it began to be more.  We just went in and confirmed the miscarriage via ultrasound.  I had no cramping.

However, I've had bleeding that was dark with tissue and it was not a miscarriage.

(((((hugs to you))))) 

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 07:27:08 AM »
Thanks so much for all the concern and experiences - it sounds like the possibilities are still open, since different ladies have had very different experiences of miscarriage.  I'll have my first prenatal visit with the midwife on Tuesday, and I'll let you know if we get a heartbeat again.  Here's hoping...  :-\

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »
God can make a difference, He makes ALL the difference. Praying things go well!
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 09:22:49 AM »
Hi, just thought I'd give a little update -

After yesterday's prenatal appointment, it's confirmed that the baby is doing well - we got a good, strong heart tone right off the bat.  This doesn't explain the two weeks of constant, dark red bleeding, but I just got an appt with an OB for tomorrow, so hopefully he can tell me what's going on in there!  Anyway, we may have a baby coming next spring, after all!

I'll post the OB's findings on the "bleeding during pregnancy" thread in the next few days, for posterity's sake...since I'm no longer wondering whether it's a miscarriage.  Thanks for all the prayers!

HB - feel free to move this to the preggo mamas thread, or prayer requests, or wherever...this post is now off topic, but I wanted to tell the ladies who viewed this thread before.

Offline Homeschool_Newbie

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
I hope this is the right place to ask a question. I am about 6-7 week pregnant. I have been having bleeding off and on. Bright red, brown, pink. It starts and stops again. On and off for over a week now. During this time I have had an ultrasound that saw a little sac. The tech said that I was just early... (I never had any dates to go off of because I never had a period after my last baby) I started feeling a little weird a few weeks ago, but I've been feeling typical pregnancy sickness all this week. Two questions: does anyone think I need progesterone? Also... I am trying to figure out what in the world is causing all this bleeding. It is probably classified as " spotting", but nevertheless disconcerting :-\ Could it have something to do with the fact that my body never had a period before getting pregnant again? Any advice would be really appreciated. :)
Blessed wife and mom of 5, going on 6 great kiddos... with more babies I can't wait to meet in heaven.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
I hope this is the right place to ask a question. I am about 6-7 week pregnant. I have been having bleeding off and on. Bright red, brown, pink. It starts and stops again. On and off for over a week now. During this time I have had an ultrasound that saw a little sac. The tech said that I was just early... (I never had any dates to go off of because I never had a period after my last baby) I started feeling a little weird a few weeks ago, but I've been feeling typical pregnancy sickness all this week. Two questions: does anyone think I need progesterone? Also... I am trying to figure out what in the world is causing all this bleeding. It is probably classified as " spotting", but nevertheless disconcerting :-\ Could it have something to do with the fact that my body never had a period before getting pregnant again? Any advice would be really appreciated. :)
I have absolutely no experience with miscarriage.  I do; however have experience with irregularities in my cycle related to ovarian cysts.  I addressed these by balancing my hormones.  As a result of all my research I found that almost all problems that are female are related to the things found in this article.  When I made changes to heal my cysts, most (if not all) of my other female complaints (PMS, irregular cycles, excess bleeding, infections, cramps, etc.) disappeared.  While you're waiting for a answer from someone who might know more about your specific concerns, you might take a look at this article.

http://bulkherbstore.blogspot.com/2010/01/hormone-imbalace-checklist.html
  My favorite herb book!!