Author Topic: Coconut Oil Recipes  (Read 9454 times)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
Coconut Oil Recipes
« on: September 10, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »
Hi! I am looking to add a lot more coconut oil into my cooking and so I was hoping to get everyones' favorite recipes!
I found Katy*did's oatmeal recipe (from pg 4 of the coconut oil thread) and thought it sounded delicious, so delicious that I searched for it for an hour before finding it again!

My lil sis makes some great bread with CO and here is the link to a video she made of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdp-UIC6B0

Anyway, I hope ya'll have some great ones up your sleeves because sometimes I am so clueless!

Oh by the way, the type of coconut oil we have has a lil bit more refining to it and so there is no flavor or smell to it so it doesn't affect the taste of most foods.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Coconut Oil Recipes
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 01:52:01 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 02:11:41 PM »
If you mix the oil with raw egg before you mix the other ingredients it does not chunk up. You would have to be comfortable with raw egg though. I only do it with the nice free range eggs when i can get them.

Offline Kelly the Kitchen Kop

• Adept
    • Kelly the Kitchen Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:29:28 PM »
I'm sorry, I messed up - I don't do the smoothie recipe with coconut oil, I use organic coconut milk.  I didn't know that about mixing it with raw egg making the oil not clump up, I don't always have coconut milk, so I'll try that next time with the oil.  :)

Kelly           www.kellythekitchenkop.com

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:07:08 PM »
Thanks for the recipes and hints! I have been doing really well just by simply using the coconut oil in place of other oils. Like last night I made a white sauce out of it that was SO good both my dh and brother made sure that I remembered how to make it!  :D

Offline FarmWife

• Adept
    • Amazing Graze Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 05:40:36 PM »
COCONUT BARK - ALMOND JOY

Recipe By : Adapted by Vickilynn

6 Tablespoons coconut oil -- organic! virgin, expeller-pressed, melted [Didn't bother to melt it; it mixed fine]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract [1/2 tsp; I must have written it down wrong]
1 1/2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder [1 Tbsp double dutch
cocoa powder]
1/4 teaspoon xylitol -- or stevia - more to taste [2 Tbsp maple syrup]
2 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut meat [1 Tbsp unsweetened coconut]
2 ounces almonds -- raw, chopped

Melt the coconut oil to a liquid, add in vanilla, cocoa powder and
sweetener. Stir to combine and blend well.

Blend nuts and coconut shreds into chocolate mixture.

I use an 8 x 8 cake pan lined with parchament. Pour mixture into pan
and tip pan to evenly spread to even thickness.

Place pan in freezer on level shelf and let sit 10 minutes or so. It will harden quickly and breaks with a snap.
Only by His merciful grace,
Marci

Come check out our store..
www.amazinggrazefarm.com/store

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »
This is similar to FarmWife's recipe, but has peanut butter in it.  I recently bought 2 lbs of Walnuts for a great price, b/c I know they're good for me  ::)  However, I don't really care for walnuts, so I had to come up with a way to use them.  I also have been wanting to get more CO in our diet, other than w/ baking and adding to oatmeal as a butter sub.  So, I mixed close to equal parts (I think it was about 1/3 c. each) VCO and peanut butter (I did almond butter the other day), some carob powder, a little stevia, and warmed on the stove just enough to incorporate everything.  Then I stirred in the walnuts (about 1 lb), poured onto wax paper on a baking sheet, and stuck it in the freezer.  Yumm! I also sprinkled a little maple sugar on it before freezing, and that is good too, but not necessary.  I'll probably do some more experimenting w/ this recipe, using different nuts, adding coconut, etc.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 10:12:44 AM »
Yum! Ice cream balls dunked in homemade magic shell!  Can't beat that  ;D  I used a cookie scoop and scooped out frozen solid balls of icecream and dropped them in a bowl of magic shell, then lifted them out and into my icecream bowl.  Do several of these, and you have a very nice treat.  5 was a satisfying amount for me   ::)  To make the magic shell, just melt some choc. chips in the microwave until soft enough to stir till smooth, then add VCO.  For 1/4 c. choc. chips I added probably 1 1/2-2 T. of oil (if it's not hardening very quickly after hitting the ice cream, add more oil).  I also added a drop of stevia b/c my choc. chips are 72% cacao and not very sweet (if you get a high enough %, they are dairy-free).  Makes kind of a 'fancy' dessert when you dip the scoops like that, but it's also just as good just drizzling it over your ice cream, esp. if you 'layer' it - scoop, magic shell, scoop, magic shell, etc.  :)
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com