Author Topic: Group B Strep (GBS) in Pregnancy  (Read 65845 times)

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
Re: Group B Strep (GBS) in Pregnancy
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2009, 09:08:23 PM »
Is it possible to have a homebirth and get the antibiotics?

I just read on the american pregnancy website that being GBS+ increases your chances for stillbirth? I've read many, many websites and books on this subject, and that's the first I've heard of it! It's getting so, so hard not to worry about this.

For now, I think I've settled on just "rinsing" with a peri bottle, using the solution my  midwife wanted me to douche with. I just mixed up a batch of GOOT - I thought maybe getting garlic into my body would help?

I'm trying Phase III of the Maker's diet (no white flours or sugars), taking Vit. C, and I also have an apple cider vinegar/garlic mixture I found in Aviva Jill Romm's pregnancy book that I'll take 1/4 tsp twice a day.

I'm also going to take acidophilos. I'm really new to this natural treatment stuff, and hoping that I'm at least on the right track!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2009, 04:49:52 AM »
It depends on the midwife, the state, her backup doctor....but yes, some midwives will use oral and others do an IV during labor.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
 :-\ I just found out my midwife can't do an IV at home. I also feel like I have UTI now, which I read can be caused by the GBS. A bunch of scary websites about GBS also claim that GBS can cause a stillbirth??? I'm generally a more "anxious" person, and I really want this whole thing to get better ASAP!

Has anyone tried bee propolis for treating GBS?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »
Have you tried a garlic clove suppository?
http://midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp

My husband and I decided to use a chlorahexidine rinse during labor as well.
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsAlt.html

A few posts back someone used propolis as part of a supplementation plan to reduce colonization.

Also, did you read the links provided in the previous pages of this thread?
Here is a balanced article. PLEASE read this article to help bring things into perspective.http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/group-b.html
There is a good balance of information both on the seriousness of GBS, ways to  reduce GBS before and during birth, and what to watch for in the baby. I suggest reading through this thread carefully on a day you don't feel panicked and taking notes on what the people here have done.
Then maybe you can follow some of the same...immune boost supplements, probiotics, garlic clove suppository, and a retest. Then be watchful for premature rupture of the membranes, fever during labor, early labor, etc....

You have to decide between your husband and yourself what is best for your situation. Stress for sure is not good.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:25:14 PM by boysmama »

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »
good post, boysmama!

@ prolifeguyswife:  I've had talked with with multiple midwives for my 4 pregnancies and while all of them were aware of GBS and all tested for it, the majority of them said that it is a little silly to test for GBS so soon before birth:  you can be positive one day and negative the next.  If there is a concern, from what I have heard, it is best to test for it directly prior to delivery. 

Since you have tested positive, I would recommend taking a deep breath, reading this thread while taking notes on treatments of and prevention of GBS and do those natural treatments for the rest of your pregnancy.  (ACV and garlic work wonders! - At least they did for me.)  Then, during your final days of pregnancy your midwife can check again for GBS to ease your mind; if you still have it, you THEN can decide what to do. 

Remember that the majority of the warnings are made as a precaution for what could possibly happen to a very SMALL percentage of women; don't let the scary websites scare you - you've not been given a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a SOUND MIND!!  ;D
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2009, 04:51:46 AM »
I do not know if this is really bad or not, but during the last 5 babies I've had at home I have never had a strep test prior to delivery. Had all of them fine and the labors went fine, sooo I do not know if its really neccesary . But I will say this. When the hospital gives you the antibiotics, I have heard the argument that the antibiotics are actually not in you long enough to make a difference at that point. Just my 2 c  ....
   I wonder if you delay your test immediately prior to birth, which   they like to do, how can the medicine do its job? :-\

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2009, 05:44:05 AM »
I elected to get the test. I couldn't see any drawback to taking it. My insurance covered all but a couple dollars of it and I was able to do the swab myself. GBS would be a nasty thing for a newborn to have.

I ended up finding out that I had tested positive for it the day before I went into labor so I didn't have a chance to try to get rid of it or take the test again. Thankfully I was having a homebirth so didn't have to get the IV antibiotics. However, a friend who had a hospital birth did tell me that it was just a shot of antibiotics and then she was able to get off the IV - probably depends on the hospital.

My midwife just had me go out and get some Hibiclens. I think the actual name of it is chlorahexadine. It's used as an antiseptic and was found in the first aid section. It's about $6 at Wal-Mart for more than you'll ever need. She had me put it in a peri-bottle (1 oz. to 8 oz. of water) and spray the whole area down there to kill the bacteria. That was at the beginning of my labor and I would have had to do it every 6 hours if my labor went on that long. I never had any side effects.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2009, 07:54:14 AM »
We decided not to test for our last birth because in our state a positive test legally requires treatment. They can't require you to  test, and a midwife is not liable if you do not test. If you do test she has to either treat you or not render the service of birthing care.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »
I elected to get the test. I couldn't see any drawback to taking it. My insurance covered all but a couple dollars of it and I was able to do the swab myself. GBS would be a nasty thing for a newborn to have.

I ended up finding out that I had tested positive for it the day before I went into labor so I didn't have a chance to try to get rid of it or take the test again. Thankfully I was having a homebirth so didn't have to get the IV antibiotics. However, a friend who had a hospital birth did tell me that it was just a shot of antibiotics and then she was able to get off the IV - probably depends on the hospital.

My midwife just had me go out and get some Hibiclens. I think the actual name of it is chlorahexadine. It's used as an antiseptic and was found in the first aid section. It's about $6 at Wal-Mart for more than you'll ever need. She had me put it in a peri-bottle (1 oz. to 8 oz. of water) and spray the whole area down there to kill the bacteria. That was at the beginning of my labor and I would have had to do it every 6 hours if my labor went on that long. I never had any side effects.

From what I understand, this is exactly what they do in European countries AND there is no difference in GBS baby illness. (vaginal cleanses vs antibiotics).

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
Well, I just got back from my 38 1/2 wk apt., and found out I tested positive for GBS-- NOT what I wanted to hear, of course.  After my apt. with the midwife, I went down to speak to the pediatrician about the "treatment" given to the baby when the mother is GBS +.  She said that if I received the dose of IV antibiotics  4 hrs. before the baby is born, they consider it to be treated.  If, however, it hasn't been 4 hrs., then the baby is committed to at least a 48 hr stay.  They draw blood and do a CBC (something Blood Count) then add some type of solution to the blood and check it at 24 hrs. to see if any bacteria has grown.  If so, then they go ahead and start the baby on antibiotics.  If not, then I guess they'll release the baby after 48 hrs.  My labor with my last baby was about 4 hrs. total, so there's a possibility this labor will go even faster, besides, I don't really want to go to the hospital at the very beginning of labor in hopes that I'll get the IV in time to consider the GBS treated. 
All this to say, I'm wondering if using the Hibiclens at home during the first part of labor, or maybe even in the next few days before the birth, would decrease the chance of the baby getting sick from the GBS (and any bacteria growing in the blood they draw) assuming I don't get to the hospital with 4 hrs. to spare before the birth.  Any thoughts about this?  Oh yeah, I also found out that they won't strip the membranes when you're GBS+, something I was kind of counting on for "planning" when I'd go into labor (and thus when we'll have our parents come up to TN from FL to hopefully be here to stay with our girls when I go in). 
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »
About decreasing the GBS bacteria transmitting to your baby:
Women who test POSITIVE for GBS, have about a 1% chance of their baby getting it.

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »
Women who test POSITIVE for GBS, have about a 1% chance of their baby getting it.

So, do you think it's worth it to try to "treat" it myself and see if they'll retest me at my next apt?  Or just leave it as is, let them do the bloodwork, and not be too worried about bacteria growing in the blood/solution, in your opinion  ;) ?
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline kilikina

• Learning
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »
Well, I just got back from my 38 1/2 wk apt., and found out I tested positive for GBS-- NOT what I wanted to hear, of course.  After my apt. with the midwife, I went down to speak to the pediatrician about the "treatment" given to the baby when the mother is GBS +.  She said that if I received the dose of IV antibiotics  4 hrs. before the baby is born, they consider it to be treated.  If, however, it hasn't been 4 hrs., then the baby is committed to at least a 48 hr stay.  They draw blood and do a CBC (something Blood Count) then add some type of solution to the blood and check it at 24 hrs. to see if any bacteria has grown.  If so, then they go ahead and start the baby on antibiotics.  If not, then I guess they'll release the baby after 48 hrs.  My labor with my last baby was about 4 hrs. total, so there's a possibility this labor will go even faster, besides, I don't really want to go to the hospital at the very beginning of labor in hopes that I'll get the IV in time to consider the GBS treated. 
All this to say, I'm wondering if using the Hibiclens at home during the first part of labor, or maybe even in the next few days before the birth, would decrease the chance of the baby getting sick from the GBS (and any bacteria growing in the blood they draw) assuming I don't get to the hospital with 4 hrs. to spare before the birth.  Any thoughts about this?  Oh yeah, I also found out that they won't strip the membranes when you're GBS+, something I was kind of counting on for "planning" when I'd go into labor (and thus when we'll have our parents come up to TN from FL to hopefully be here to stay with our girls when I go in). 

I had a baby in the hospital (2 years ago) and I was given antibiotics, but he was born less than 4 hours after.  So, they had to check him for GBS.  They said he was positive (not sure if I believe it, since they say that to everyone my midwife brings in.... even if they didn't test positive at 36 weeks, so.... ???)  Anyway, he had to get antibiotics, but it is NOT just oral antibiotics.  He had to get injections twice a day for his first week of life!  It was terrible.  It would have been much better for me to have gotten the antibiotics in time, than to put him through that.   We had been planning a home birth, but ended up at the hospital and......  well, we are glad we had the last one at home!  ;D

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2009, 04:24:56 PM »

So, do you think it's worth it to try to "treat" it myself and see if they'll retest me at my next apt?  Or just leave it as is, let them do the bloodwork, and not be too worried about bacteria growing in the blood/solution, in your opinion  ;) ?

Well, if I tested positive I would certainly treat myself.... not only for another test.... but also for my baby.
The test isn't super reliable because the bacteria can come and go (even if you test negative at 37 weeks you could  be positive at birth... but no one would know).
If I were having my baby in a hospital and they were demanding a negative test result or antibiotics I would DEMAND for another GBS test next week.
I'd do garlic inserts (read somewhere else in this thread), yogurt douches... or whatever it is people do... No sugar in my diet, etc. I think I remember searching for a "test negative for GBS" and I found a program.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »

Yes, I agree with KristenA, there's no drawback to treating yourself with Hibiclens, it is as easy as pie, of course it probably kills the good bacteria down there, too, but it's only once or twice, speaking of that you would need to do it every 6 hours, not sure why, but that's what my midwife said to do.

But if they won't retest you, then you would still have to get the IV antibiotics, right? But at least if you didn't get them in time for the 4 hour deadline, at least you could be pretty sure that your baby doesn't get it and have to have antibiotics.

I know that the baby can only get it once your water breaks, so I wouldn't have them break your water if that's an option, so the baby can stay in that sac for as long as possible. And avoid cervical checks if at all possible.

There is a midwifery today link I posted in this thread a long time ago, it says that garlic inserts could possibly reverse a positive result.

It is kind of silly because a person could test negative at 36 weeks or whenever they give the test, and then be positive during their labor and not know it, then the baby would be at risk anyway. 

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
I picked up the Hibiclens today, at my cousin's recommendation also.  I'll see tomorrow if they'll retest.  And if they won't, then I may refuse the antibiotics during labor, since I am hoping to not be at the hospital for 4 hrs before the birth.  I know things can happen, but hopefully I'll be able to stay home most of the time and go in later on.  With my 2 girls, my water didn't break until I was ready to push.  Thanks for the advice about the cervical checks.  If the baby's born less than 4 hours after I get there, then whether or not I get the antibiotics won't change that they'll do the bloodwork on him.  First step though is to try to get a retest tomorrow, AND get the results back from them quickly.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »
ArmyWife - I really recommend reading this article http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/group-b.html that boysmama posted earlier in the thread. It really helped me make my decision, and there were a ton of studies and links to back it up.

I decided to do a "rinse" with a peri-bottle (not a douche) every time I go to the bathroom by blending 5 cloves of garlic with 1 C of yogurt with active cultures, and warm water. I blend it in the morning and use it throughout the day. I also decided to take Bee propolis, Vitamin C, and a probiotic every day (I would take echinacea, too, but I'm allergic). I'm trying to avoid sugar (didn't do too well today!  ::) ) and yeast. I'm drinking lots of kefir, too. I'm using GOOT on my feet, just to get it into my bloodstream, and drinking 1 T apple cider vinegar everyday... just trying to cover all of my bases. I'm doing all of this stuff to kill the bad bacteria and encourage the good. I hope your appointment goes well!

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2009, 05:51:07 AM »
Excellent article, very enlightening.... As I have said previously I have never tested for the Strep, and with all the chatter I said,,,hmmm should I do it this time\? I will still choose not to again, since I will be home , Lord willing, and I do not see a doctor through my preg,so It doesn't make sense..... I feel confidant more now though!

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »
Well, the retest I did on Monday came back neg., so apparently the Hibiclens worked.  Wish I had known about it before my first test...  Unfortunately, I think they will probably still go with the first test, even though this one was more recent.  I have an apt tomorrow, which is my due date, and I'm really hoping that they will at least be willing to strip the membranes for me.   I really didn't think I would be making this apt.  Maybe tonight it'll happen...  Anyways, I would definitely recommend washing with the Hibiclens before your first GBS test.  I picked up a bottle from Kroger for $7.50, but I'm sure it would've been cheaper at WAlmart.  I didn't realize that I'd have to ask the pharmacist for it, that it wasn't just on the shelf, so that's why I didn't get it at Walmart (the pharmacy was closed when I went by)  I think I put about an ounce in an 8 oz. peri-bottle, and tried to squirt it up inside as best I could, also washing all around the outside area.  I tried to not go to the bathroom before getting retested, but that didn't work out.  However the retest still came back neg.  I think it'll depend on the midwife I get tomorrow as to whether or not she'll strip the membranes for me...  Also when I'm in labor what they'll want to do about the IV antibiotics.  Either way, I know they'll at least want to go ahead and do the bloodwork on the baby.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
I just wanted to update. I tried diet, probiotics, GOOT, Vitamin C, a garlic and yogurt "rinse", and bee propolis for a two months - and still tested positive again for GBS at 36 weeks. My midwife reassured me many times that she didn't think it would be a problem, and it wasn't! My water broke before labor, and when my water would renew itself, it would continue to leak out throughout the 4-hour labor. Basically, my midwife said that it was continually rinsing and flushing out the birth canal, so it was very unlikely that the baby would get GBS. And he didn't! Praise the Lord, he was perfectly healthy when he was born (she did monitor him closely to make sure he didn't have any GBS symptoms). And I think he's just about out of the danger zone for late-onset GBS, too. I just wanted to share that even though it was something to pay attention to, I don't think it's as big a deal as the medical community makes it out to be, and I'm glad I didn't have unnecessary antibiotics.

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2009, 01:47:12 AM »
I agree, I think doctors are just trying to be cautious, but sometimes do so and don't really weigh out the side effects verses the probability.  Does that make sense.  I went round and round with my ob over Group B and in the end, it took a birth plan.  She actually "missed" the birth, never apologized etc...  the night nurse caught my daughter.  It was very awkward.  I will go with a midwife next time, if I have to drive two hours!

Group B  CAN be serious, but so can a lot of other things I'm sure they don't take precautions about.  The list is endless.  The whole birthing process is in God's hands and he's in control of it all.  He uses Doctors too, though.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2009, 04:39:28 AM »

Yeah! I'm glad someone finally said this! This was discussed in my microbiology class, except that the instructor didn't give an exact percentage. Just said that the chance of the baby actually developing problems due to GpB is really pretty small....
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
This is an older post, but I have had 3 homebirths, with one more due in 2 1/2 weeks. I just tested positive for GBS, and would like some peace about what we should do. Our midwife cannot do IV's, and I'm just not sure on what we should do.
Anyone have any help?
Thanks

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2009, 08:31:37 AM »
I have tested pos with GBS and have had 4 of my 9 children at home. My first homebirth I had an iv with the antibiotic bag hanging from my ceiilng fan while I was laboring and delivering! NOT FUN!

After that experience I decided that there must be a better way. The last 2 weeks of my pregnancies, I inserted 1 garlic gelcap vaginally when I went to bed.

I've had no trouble with GBS. I am pregnant again with our 10th baby and plan on having another homebirth (I have waterbirthed my last 3). I will go with the garlic gelcaps again.
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline MillitaryMomof4

• Learning
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
Hi all,

I've read three out the 5 pages of this post...what I haven't seen is if anyone as been recommended to take a dose of antibiotics now (12 weeks preg).  The Hospital Midwife told me that GBS showed up in my urine sample.  She said that was serious because I must have quite the colonization.  She said having a large amount increases my chances for miscarriage.  I want to be prudent, either way.

Thanks

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2010, 03:56:24 PM »
I've heard the same about urinary tract colonization, but have never studied up on it.
Could you do another catch, in case the first was cross contaminated in anyway? Or you might use some anti bacterials  for a day or two before a retest in an attempt to get rid of it naturally.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2010, 10:17:32 AM »
ok, gals! picking your brains!  short version--

had stool culture, showed 2 kinds of strep
had rash on lower abdomen last 4-6 (?at least) weeks of pregnancy
Jan 26th, had baby--right before pushing, was told group B +   :o  (antibiotics were run, but only for a few min. til baby emerged)
Feb 2rd, start with fever
Feb 3rd, more fever & lower abdominal pain
Feb 4th, go to ER, diagnosed w/ Endometritis, given shot & 1 week of Augmentin.
finished antibiotics, rash continues, very itchy, raised red bumps, comes & goes.

i'm just wondering if this rash could be caused by the group B and if i still have it?  does anyone know what this rash is???   ???  thanks in advance for any info!

Edited to add: it's also on my lower back--& i'm 6 weeks post-pardum & still have it!!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:07:42 AM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »
4myHoonie, it sounds like it might be PUPPPs. The Itchy [Rashes/Hives] While Pregnant thread has info about it starting with this post: (reply #11)

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2151.msg38115.html#msg38115

Even if the rash isn't PUPPPS the dandelion is still good for you & will help detox whatever is causing the rash.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »
4myHoonie, it sounds like it might be PUPPPs. The Itchy [Rashes/Hives] While Pregnant thread has info about it starting with this post: (reply #11)

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2151.msg38115.html#msg38115

Even if the rash isn't PUPPPS the dandelion is still good for you & will help detox whatever is causing the rash.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

thanks so much! i think i read this thread while pregnant, but my brain was so foggy i didn't figure it out.  i also have a few itchy spots on other parts of me.  looking on buy/sell for dandelion capsules, cuz there are NONE in our small town! thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2010, 11:43:25 AM »
You're welcome. In the meantime, if you have or can get alfalfa, beet, milk thistle, chlorophyll, wheat grass or barley grass juice any of those would probably help as well. Not as much as dandelion would but it's something to start on anyways if you can get any of it.