Author Topic: GAPS Method / Diet [Gut and Psychology Syndrome]  (Read 137955 times)

Offline R Guyer

• Justme
  • Wide Eyed
Re: GAPS Method / Diet [Gut and Psychology Syndrome]
« Reply #270 on: April 07, 2010, 11:50:25 AM »
Pls help me troubleshoot what's going on with my 3yo ds. He has been on GAPS for 5 weeks. I know he has leaky gut and the ped. gastro suspects Crohns (I don't, long story). Anyway, his stools are great!! He has always had eczema mild/moderate but 2 weeks ago (3 weeks into the diet) he broke out all over his body (no exaggeration). His face is awful! Every part of him (except stomach/chest) is angry red, extremely itchy, broken skin etc.
So, is this die-off? What else could it be? We haven't added any new foods or supplements......I have tried sooo many things to heal the eczema (different thread) the past 2 weeks and it is not getting much better. Any thoughts?

I agree with you on the use of the probiotics and have often wondered if OTC probiotics were enough and you confirmed for me that they are not, but I also read where you were using the candibactin. How far apart do you space the candibactin from the VSL and on what kind of schedule?
And are either taken with or without food in particular.

Thanks

The bad eczema can be die off.  When my son started healing his gut he went through a HORRIBLE case of eczema.  But I was able to heal it using the Burts Bees stuff I posted about in the eczema thread.  However, it is very possible your son is allergic to something your feeding him in GAPS.  Have you looked at all the suspects?  Eggs, gluten, soy, dairy, nuts, etc?  I know GAPS eliminates some of those but I haven't been through the whole book yet so I don't know which ones.  If the eczema is not responding to treatment then I would look to an allergy that is really badly aggravating his body.  Have you read through the eczema thread?  I posted a few things that worked very well for my DS.  His eczema was usually gone within a week or at the very least just dark patches of skin but no itchy, dry skin left.  Right now he really likes the Dr. Schulze's Jojoba and Tea Tree Oil ointment and it works very well on his eczema.  Usually overnight it's half of what it was the night before.  For comfort, dead sea salt baths work well also.

I will say this - I do not agree with the notion that a person should not be on probiotics in the beginning of GAPS.  The issue is the probiotics that get used HAVE to be very very strong.  Right now we're using a probiotic that has 450 MILLION bugs per serving.  So the boy is getting 900 million bacteria a day.  So if someone is taking a PB-8 or something like that, it's not going to help.  Gut healing requires a much much stronger probiotic.  Like I said, in this sense, I disagree with the GAPS book.

hth

patti

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #271 on: August 04, 2010, 02:13:55 PM »
Posting for Mommyjen b/c she's still having problems posting:

"I was doing Gaps and started the VSL and literally millions of bacteria and what I think is candida showed up in my stool. My brain function and mood was MUCH improved!! I was only able to take the VSL about 6 days as I was using what remained from several months ago and now need to order more. Is it okay to keep doing GAPS and the probotic now that I just found out I'm expecting? To get enough calories I will, unfortunately, have to add in some carby stuff (nuts, bananas) that will feed pathogens. I am so bummed about this! Will the die off from the probiotic hurt the baby? Should I just stick to the diet? I'm 4 weeks along. Thanks sooooo much! I don't know what to do! Also, please pray for me. All my children are sick and each new baby is sicker than the last which one major reason we we're trying to avoid conception. I'm so worried about this baby. :( "

~Mommyjen

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #272 on: August 04, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »
MJ - you can continue to take the VSL and it will actually help to protect baby somewhat.  You can still do GAPS.  Calories doesn't always equal nutrition.  Bone broths are extremely nourishing to the body.  My DS has been juicing and bone broths for several months and has lost no weight and feels full most of the time.  He's clearly still getting good nourishment from them.  Most die off occurs in the first two to three days of adding a strong probiotic like VSL.  You should be fine with continuing what you're doing.  If you notice strong die off symptoms all of a sudden you might cut back whatever cleansing you're doing - but not the VSL.  The die off just goes to show you had some sort of bad bacteria in your gut/intestines.  It may or may not be candida. 

Just feed your body healthy.  Avoid your food allergens; and you'll actually be surprised how much healthier this baby can be just by avoiding your major food allergens and taking the VSL. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #273 on: August 05, 2010, 03:34:23 PM »
MJ - you can continue to take the VSL and it will actually help to protect baby somewhat.  You can still do GAPS.  Calories doesn't always equal nutrition.  Bone broths are extremely nourishing to the body.  My DS has been juicing and bone broths for several months and has lost no weight and feels full most of the time.  He's clearly still getting good nourishment from them.  Most die off occurs in the first two to three days of adding a strong probiotic like VSL.  You should be fine with continuing what you're doing.  If you notice strong die off symptoms all of a sudden you might cut back whatever cleansing you're doing - but not the VSL.  The die off just goes to show you had some sort of bad bacteria in your gut/intestines.  It may or may not be candida. 

Just feed your body healthy.  Avoid your food allergens; and you'll actually be surprised how much healthier this baby can be just by avoiding your major food allergens and taking the VSL. 

patti

Thank you Patti! I prayed so much for you and your son. My comment in the prayer request topic got deleted.  >:( Anyways, I will continue the VSL. I love the VSLBTW!! NO other probiotice, even lots and lots of kefir was this effective! I've never seen stuff in my poo before! YYikes! I'm thrielled to be having a no food allergy pregnancy as well. I'm a little worrid about the die off that hapened when babe was just a few days old..form what I understand it's liie an alcolho toxin that gets released when pathogens  die. I' thiniking Fetal alcohol syndorom.  :( :-\ I know that probiotics give you 50 % more nutrition form your food so that is a huge thing..I have major sighn of nutritional def. and so do my children. So overall I fell goo about the pb, I will just try to avoid major die off again.  Miss you! love ya, Jen
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Jen, be sure to check out the threads on adrenals, thyroid, & other hormones/glands as well.

Many times the reason babies born to moms with chronic illness are so sick themselves is b/c the mom's adrenal glands are worn out &/or the other glands & hormones are out of balance. During pregnancy, the mom's body will actually use the baby's glads & hormones (esp adrenal) so the baby is born with low or worn out adrenals &/or messed up glands &/or hormones which starts them on their own problems.

Being preggo, you won't be able to do everything right now but at least look into stuff that works to overall balance your glands & hormones & nourish your glands.

Once the baby is born, look for ways to insure the baby gets good gut flora from birth- that will go a long ways in preventing problems.

I'm including a bunch of links since i know that you're accessing the 'net from the library so your time is limited. Might help to print them out- although it will be A LOT of pages to print- & take them home to read, highlight, make notes on, etc.

Re: Low Adrenal Function: Causes, Symptoms & Remedies

Herbal Remedies to Boost a Tired Out Adrenal Gland?

Non-classical Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia or PCOS?

Adrenal Supplements for nursing mothers

Mercury Poisoning, Chronic Fatigue & Adrenal Exhaustion How to choose tr

Candida Yeast and Adrenal Exhaustion

Iodine: Sources, Inhibitors, Symptoms of Deficiency

Thyroid Dysfunction: Diagnosis & Treament

Nourishing the Endocrine System

The hypothalamus gland- it's related to it all!

Estrogen Dominance & Other Hormone Imbances: Causes & Cures

Excess Facial Hair on Women: Causes, Reduction & Removal

Anybody use Mountain Meadow Herbs HB and T&C formuals for hormonal balance?

Wild Yam Root and Hormone Balance

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #275 on: December 11, 2010, 12:01:19 PM »
WARNING: TMI!!!  I've been doing GAPS again but this time it's just me. Much, much better! So hard to be sick and take care of sick and a revolting family! I'm still on the intro (day 10) and I'm doing VSL #3 in the am and Goldenseal in the pm. I am seeing so much bacteria it is scary!! I check with lots of tp and q tips, lol. Also, when I started the goldenseal I passed a tape worm! It was about 9 inches dead.  :P I am so constipated as well. I have to do enemas every 36 hours as per GAPS if constipated. Getting good at those! Nice and quick now. Also, I cheated last night cuz it was dh birthday and I made hiim this huge gourmet meal and just couldn't resist the bread, then the mashed potatoes and gravy, and then apple pie and ice cream.  :D Part of the problem was I had hardly eaten all day just being really busy with milk deliveries, getting things ready for dh, etc. So today I have loose stools, still with loads of bacteria and get this its bubbly. Eek. Like bubbles continuously rise to the top (as seen on tp) as in its fermenting before my eyes! Anyways, before this with the hcl and off carbs I can tell that I'm digesting my food so much better. Also, I'm pretty sure the fat dig. is an issue. My body will heal overtime on GAPS and with the hcl, but I'm doing oxbile as well to help digest now and heal more quickly. I fell so, so great!!!! I can't belive how much energy I have now and after the first several days of intro. It's like a miracle. I still have muscle fatigue, but my energy and mood are so much better!! Also, we are not having any more carbs in the house so that will help with cheating. The family will be doing intro soon as soon as I'm feeling like I can take it on. I'm not planing on doing sweets, sweet veggies for a long, long time. I'm pretty convince I/we have systemic bacterial infection, fungus, etc. Just meat, broth, veggies, eggs (hopefully!!), avacodoes, nuts and bakes goods with nuts, zuch, flax egg sub or eggs. Will post again when possible. Thanks for all your love support and prayers...you know who you are!  :-*

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #276 on: December 11, 2010, 06:26:10 PM »

Jen, reading this makes me very happy!  I am so glad to hear you are beginning to see progress and feel better!  Keep at it.  It will work! 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »
I got the results from my stool test and talked with my ND today. She was so very helpful, which is not always the case concerning MDs or NDs as we have found over the years!

I have high enough levels of Candida (fungus) to be concerned about and she thinks they would have been higher if it hadn't been for some treatment I had awhile back, but had to stop as it made me unable to function (felt like I had the flu times 10)

I also have "abundant" pathogen/bacterial overgrowth (no pathogens should have been detected.)

My chymotrpsin levles are abnormally low. "Chymotrypsin is a marker enzyme for pancreatic exocrine output. A low Chymotrypsin value is suggestive of poor pancreatic output of all enzymes."

My alpha anti-chumotrypsin levels were somewhat elevated which shows there is some inflammation going on in the lower intestine, but upper intestine seemed fine. Upper intestine is where water is mostly absorbed and lower is where mostly nutrients are absorbed.

What was most concerning was my total intestinal SIgA levels. They should be at 400-880 mg/dL and mine were at less than 1. What this shows is this has been going on a long time. It also shows that my gut is in terrible shape (leaky) and my immune system and ability to absorb (state of the intestinal villi) nutrients is shot.

Dr. Mercola says, "Most people, including many physicians, do not realize that 80 percent of your immune system is located in your digestive system, making a healthy gut a major focal point if you want to maintain optimal health. Remember, a robust immune system is your number one defense system against ALL disease"

I *only* had chronic fatigue over 10 years ago. Now I have fibro., insomnia, depression, vestibulitis, and MAJOR food allergies as well.  I believe I've had milk allergies for some time which can start this whole chain of events, but usually it is a combination of things. We actually are born with both good and bad bacteria in our guts (ratio and variety is dependent on a lot of factors as well) and something like antibiotics, prolonged stress, crappy food, or insufficient good pb or abundance of the bad to begin with (birth) or a combination for example can allow the bad guys to over grow. So, the pathogens i'm dealing with could be native rather than foreign invaders, but are probably a mix. Healing the gut should give me some foods back (heal food allergies) as pathogen overgrowth itself and their effect on the GI tract can lead to food allergies or exacerbate  them. If I could get only one of gluten grains, milk, or eggs back the I'd be happy. Smiley

It takes a long time to heal the gut, but we'll be starting in greater earnest very soon with diet (key), meds, and nutritional supplements. I'll be taking Nystatin (antifungal) and penicilin (antibacterial) along with a strong probiotic. I will probably need the pb for life or when I get to better use some kind of fermented food that is pb rich daily. I'll also be taking milk thistle phytosome for liver support and digestive enzymes for digestive support (until my body starts doing what it should do on its own again).  My cortisol (hormone that allows one to cope with stress and so much  more) levels are trashed as well and healing the digestive tract should naturally bring this up when it needs to be during the day and down when it should be at night (currently they are reversed -did a cortisol test).

I'm so excited to be well and am feeling very hopeful! It will probably get worse before it gets better (the waste from the candida and bacteria produce alcohol like toxins and poison the muscles, brain, everything) and when you start killing them they really release these toxins. My dr. will be doing all she can to take it slow with me so as not to cause too much of a die off and is giving me other supportive stuff to help ease the process...at this point and for the last year and a half, i've had to take breaks brushing my teeth and esp. washing my hair, so these results and treatment plan is huge. I am mostly stoked at the thought of being able to think straight again. Smiley

Love, Jenny

Here's more if you want more info and below is an excerpt.
http://www.yourmedicaldetective.com/drgrisanti/Mucosal%20Barrier.htm

Toxins that enter the bloodstream during a damaged mucosal barrier end up in the liver, which has the job of detoxifying and discharging the poisons. Under normal conditions, the liver is taxed just by processing the daily metabolic wastes created by cell and organ activity. Imagine the further load created by dumping serious intestinal toxins on a regular basis. There is a point when the liver becomes saturated; it cannot further detoxify the poisons, and they are returned to the blood circulation. The blood has sophisticated mechanisms for preserving chemical homeostasis, and will diffuse as much of the toxic chemicals and physical debris into the interstitial fluids as is possible. From here the lymphatic system will attempt to collect and neutralize the toxins, but unable to send the toxins to the liver, the body essentially becomes toxic. Microbes grow and develop, hence there can be chronic lymphatic swelling, especially in children. Over a period of time, toxins will be forced into distal connective tissue around muscles and joints, causing fibromyalgia, or into the cells, which can precipitate genetic mutation and ultimately cancer.

The immune system is stressed in three major ways. First is at the site of the intestinal mucosa. As toxins and food antigens brush up against the mucosa, the immune system mobilizes to neutralize the toxins. Normally, much of this work would have been done by beneficial bacteria, which have been destroyed by antibiotics. For toxins that make it to the mucosa, the body will tag them with a chemical secretory IgA (SIgA), which attracts macrophages and other white blood cells to consume the toxins. It is not long before this immune response is overwhelmed and depleted. This can be measured directly with a stool or saliva test for the intestinal SIgA level.

The second stressor happens in the liver and lymphatic system which, also overwhelmed, puts demands on the immune system. The third stressor is a consequence: as the immune response diminishes, more microbes (viruses, bacteria, and fungi) multiply, allowing for a chronic state of infection. What might be tagged as a viral infection, such as Epstein-Barr virus for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, is actually an opportunistic infection taking advantage of a weakened immune system.

The most important organ in the production of immune agents seems to be the adrenal gland, and a damaged mucosal barrier slowly diminishes adrenal function. In the early and middle stages, there is actually an adrenal excess, as measured by excess cortisol output. Eventually, cortisol levels drop, and one now has exhaustion

Offline beckyoto

• Learning
« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »
Hi there,

It's been a while since I posted, good to be back!  ;D

I am researching the GAPS diet because I am wondering if it will help me.  I have read this thread through, and various links that I found here, but I haven't gotten the books yet. I will get them as soon as I can, but in the meantime I do have a question, hopefully one of you wonderfully knowledgeable ladies can answer. Is the GAPS diet a healthy choice for someone who no longer has a gall bladder, and has been diagnosed with a 'fatty liver'? I don't have alot of 'outward signs' of food allergies (that I know of?), but I do have the liver issue and in general just feel yucky and am quite overweight. I know I need to make some changes, and I am interested in GAPS, but I just don't know if it's the best direction for me to go.  Any thoughts?

Thank you all so much   :)
Becky

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #279 on: April 07, 2011, 03:56:32 AM »
Since your gallbladder has been removed you need to be taking bile salts with EVERY meal and snack.  You may also want to take lipase to help digest fat.

Fatty liver is due to excess carbs.  High triglycerides definitely are due to hig-carb intake (it is a precursor to diabetes).

Milk thistle and silymarin are great for restoring liver health.

GAPS would be fine for someone in your situation, imo.

other options:
www.knowthecause.com, mercola.com, and maximizedliving.com all recommend a sugar-free, grain-free, alcohol-free diet.  Green apples and berries are allowed, but other fruit and starchy veggies are to be avoided initially.  Emphasis is on fresh, raw, low-starch veggies, good quality meats, and good fats.

These diets all eliminate toxic "foods" and add in healing, cleansing, anti-inflammatory foods.  They also are anti-fungal.

Note: the nightshades are very inflammatory in some people, so use with caution.  Tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, tobacco.

One caution: They can all cause die-off since you will be withholding foods that fungi and bacteria thrive on.

Offline beckyoto

• Learning
« Reply #280 on: April 07, 2011, 06:37:37 AM »
Since your gallbladder has been removed you need to be taking bile salts with EVERY meal and snack.  You may also want to take lipase to help digest fat.

Fatty liver is due to excess carbs.  High triglycerides definitely are due to hig-carb intake (it is a precursor to diabetes).

Milk thistle and silymarin are great for restoring liver health.

GAPS would be fine for someone in your situation, imo.

other options:
www.knowthecause.com, mercola.com, and maximizedliving.com all recommend a sugar-free, grain-free, alcohol-free diet.  Green apples and berries are allowed, but other fruit and starchy veggies are to be avoided initially.  Emphasis is on fresh, raw, low-starch veggies, good quality meats, and good fats.

These diets all eliminate toxic "foods" and add in healing, cleansing, anti-inflammatory foods.  They also are anti-fungal.

Note: the nightshades are very inflammatory in some people, so use with caution.  Tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, tobacco.

One caution: They can all cause die-off since you will be withholding foods that fungi and bacteria thrive on.

Thank you DHW, This was very helpful!

I had been lead to believe that the ONLY oil I could use was coconut oil because of my difficulties digesting fats.  So, if I'm understanding correctly, GAPS should be fine as long as I take the bile salts and lipase to help digesting the good fats?

Thanks again for the help! 
Becky  :) 

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #281 on: April 07, 2011, 04:53:10 PM »
Yes.  The bile salts mimic what your gallbladder would be producing to digest fat, and the lipase is an enzyme that also helps digest fat.

Go slow, though.  Too much fat or too many supplements all at once may cause a lot of tummy upset.  I would suggest you begin the bile salts immediately and adjust the dosage at each meal until you figure out how your body responds.  After an adjustment period add in the lipase with high-fat foods.

Coconut oil as an added oil is very good and it is processed by the liver differently than other fats (palm oil is similar), but you still have fats in many foods like avocados, nuts and seeds that are very healthy if they can be digested.  That is where bile salts and lipase can really help.

GAPS (and every other eating plan) is only beneficial if you can digest the foods, otherwise it will be neutral or (more likely) damaging.

Offline goingforten

• Learning
« Reply #282 on: August 09, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »
any ideas if this diet would heal a hernia? it is in the general area after all ;D

Offline misskrissykris

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »
I do not have time to do the bone broth, etc part of this diet.  But I can go by a list of foods and eat that way.

Will this still help me?

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #284 on: February 25, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »
Ok sorry if this is in the wrong place or if its already been addressed....but my question is can you do this diet without starving? I would really like to take this step for my family but idk how Im going to keep my dh full. He will do it ONLY if he doesnt feel very bad on it and if he is not hungry. And seriously, the man can eat ALOT. He can easily put away 10 scrambled eggs in the a.m. and be hungry 2 hrs later and he's very fit and will be working hard this spring farming....I guess one thing thats been keeping from doing this is the fear that it will be way too expensive to do and dh won't be satisfied. Am I totally wrong in this? The whole thing just overwhelms me and I dont know where to start.Advice please!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
I am not a fan of this diet.  I know many people who have done it and few that have done well on it.  Mostly because it is too restrictive and the die off from it is horrible.  We have family friends that the entire family was deathly ill from die off for two solid weeks when they started it.  They did fine after that for awhile but then found themselves never satisfied and never able to move through the stages b/c their allergies were so bad.  There are so many other methods for healing the gut that I would encourage you to look at other options. 

For my family, we just opted to include bone broth in as much as I could.  So I made a lot of soups and stews using my homemade broth.  I cooked with it whenever I could.  So you might start with something easy like that.  GOOD probiotics like VSL3, Kombucha, kefir, things like that.  I really think a whole food diet, with proper probiotics and enzymes will do you much better.

As for your husband - is he taking digestive enzymes?  It sounds like his food is not digesting well and thus he's getting hungry quickly.  Even with a race horse metabolism (which my husband has), he should be satisfied for 4hrs after eating a large meal.  You might try NOW Super Enzymes or Thorne BioGest.  2 per meal to start. 

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2013, 05:52:33 AM »
THANK YOU!!! You have no idea what a relief it is for me to hear this!! Somehow I just got it in my head that the GAPS was the only way to go to fix our problems, but I didn't see how it was possible. What you said makes sense, especially since we are not dealing with serious issues like autism or anything like that....I just know it would be good for us to do as you said and bring more whole foods and probiotics into our diet-much more doable! Thank you again, you have lifted the world off my shoulders lol  ;D

Offline Libbyleigh

• Learning
« Reply #287 on: March 21, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
Alright, I am probably on the totally wrong forum for this, but I'm new!  :D And I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced any of the symptoms that I am describing below, and if you have, if you could tell me more about it!

I have had stomach problems for the last four years, I'm 18 now. It started with a horrible stomach ache and fever one weekend, and since then, I have not been able to eat without experiencing some form of indigestion. (It used to be horrible nausea after each meal, but after taking probiotics and visiting a chiropractor, it is only mild nausea, sometimes, and always an embarrassing amount of burping.  :-\ ) Also, in the last year or so I have had a decrease in appetite, not all the time, but occasionally,  to the point where some people have wondered if I'm anorexic. (Which I'm definitely not!) I have wondered if it is maybe a yeast problem, but I'm not really sure, since I haven't studied it very much. Do you think maybe a  yeast cleanse, (such as the yeast pack from Beeyoutiful) would clear up my problem?

I would just really like to start enjoying my food again, without having to worry about throwing up, (which I have a bit of a phobia of, despite it rarely ever happening), or feeling uncomfortable.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
I do not have time to do the bone broth, etc part of this diet.  But I can go by a list of foods and eat that way.

Will this still help me?
It may help but then it's not really GAPS but SCD. Without working through each step you will not get the same results with GAPS.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »
THANK YOU!!! You have no idea what a relief it is for me to hear this!! Somehow I just got it in my head that the GAPS was the only way to go to fix our problems, but I didn't see how it was possible. What you said makes sense, especially since we are not dealing with serious issues like autism or anything like that....I just know it would be good for us to do as you said and bring more whole foods and probiotics into our diet-much more doable! Thank you again, you have lifted the world off my shoulders lol  ;D
GAPS is formulated as a healing diet. Have a good reason to do it, or you may not be happy you put the time in.
You might also look into digestive bitters as a help for your husband.

We did not have trouble feeling satisfied with meals. For a time as you start absorbing nutrients a body might be extra hungry, but after a few weeks you actually feel more satisfied even without the foods on the restricted list due to finally getting nourished as the digestive tract heals.

Also, it is recommended that you start with full GAPS and work backwards to the restrictive phase so that healing is already begun, and you can move through the first stages quickly. If you jump straight into into intro from the typical American diet you will feel pretty rotten! Also, I've found some people will not drink the broth or soups and simply don't eat. That will NOT work. In step one which lasts one to a couple days for most people, you will drink broth or "soup" throughout the day. If a child(or adult) refuses to do this, you have to figure something out because they are soon going to be feeling terrible.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »
Alright, I am probably on the totally wrong forum for this, but I'm new!  :D And I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced any of the symptoms that I am describing below, and if you have, if you could tell me more about it!

I have had stomach problems for the last four years, I'm 18 now. It started with a horrible stomach ache and fever one weekend, and since then, I have not been able to eat without experiencing some form of indigestion. (It used to be horrible nausea after each meal, but after taking probiotics and visiting a chiropractor, it is only mild nausea, sometimes, and always an embarrassing amount of burping.  :-\ ) Also, in the last year or so I have had a decrease in appetite, not all the time, but occasionally,  to the point where some people have wondered if I'm anorexic. (Which I'm definitely not!) I have wondered if it is maybe a yeast problem, but I'm not really sure, since I haven't studied it very much. Do you think maybe a  yeast cleanse, (such as the yeast pack from Beeyoutiful) would clear up my problem?

I would just really like to start enjoying my food again, without having to worry about throwing up, (which I have a bit of a phobia of, despite it rarely ever happening), or feeling uncomfortable.

Do you know what caused the initial infection?
There are many places you could start. I would suggest digestive bitters, or digestive enzymes and probiotic foods or supplements.
Urban Moonshine is a great brand of bitters and probably the simplest and fastest route to relief for most people.
You could implement GAPS as well. It's great for healing messed up digestion. Ask any specific questions you want. This is the place to start reading....http://gapsdiet.com/

Offline Libbyleigh

• Learning
« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2013, 04:20:45 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't know for sure what caused the initial infection. I have wondered if it might have been stress related, as I was going through alot of stress and anxiety at that time. I was also on antibiotics frequently as a child, and my wellness doctor says that they wiped out my digestive tract of good bacteria. I do take probiotic supplements, but am not able to take them for more than a couple of weeks in a row, as they cause stomachaches after awhile. Do you know why that might be?

My mom takes digestive enzymes since she had her gallbladder removed a couple of years ago, and she can definitely tell a difference. However, I cannot swallow pills, (except the smaller gelatin capsules, but that is only very rarely), so I would probably have to go the bitters route. Do they work like the enzymes? Also, would I always have to stay on the bitters for a long time, or would they help to heal my digestion to the point that I could back off of them?

Alright, last question in this post!  :D I read somewhere (maybe on this thread?) that The Makers Diet is similar to GAPS, but you can always eat that way. Do you think that would help, without being as drastic of a diet change?

Offline Libbyleigh

• Learning
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »

Do you know what caused the initial infection?
There are many places you could start. I would suggest digestive bitters, or digestive enzymes and probiotic foods or supplements.
Urban Moonshine is a great brand of bitters and probably the simplest and fastest route to relief for most people.
You could implement GAPS as well. It's great for healing messed up digestion. Ask any specific questions you want. This is the place to start reading....http://gapsdiet.com/
Unfortunately, I don't know for sure what caused the initial infection. I have wondered if it might have been stress related, as I was going through alot of stress and anxiety at that time. I was also on antibiotics frequently as a child, and my wellness doctor says that they wiped out my digestive tract of good bacteria. I do take probiotic supplements, but am not able to take them for more than a couple of weeks in a row, as they cause stomachaches after awhile. Do you know why that might be?

My mom takes digestive enzymes since she had her gallbladder removed a couple of years ago, and she can definitely tell a difference. However, I cannot swallow pills, (except the smaller gelatin capsules, but that is only very rarely), so I would probably have to go the bitters route. Do they work like the enzymes? Also, would I always have to stay on the bitters for a long time, or would they help to heal my digestion to the point that I could back off of them?

Alright, last question in this post!  :D I read somewhere (maybe on this thread?) that The Makers Diet is similar to GAPS, but you can always eat that way. Do you think that would help, without being as drastic of a diet change?
[/quote]

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #293 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:48 AM »
I have not taken the time to read through this whole thread but would appreciate some advice. I believe my nephew is on day 6 of the GAPS diet. He has not been able to go #2 yet.  Is there anything besides an enema that could help with this?
Thank you!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18