Author Topic: Favorite Soup Recipes  (Read 73343 times)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: Favorite Soup Recipes
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2008, 04:16:02 PM »
Here's a great broccoli & cheese soup recipe. My mom found the recipe years ago & even broccoli haters like this soup. Unfortunately, she lost the written recipe years ago but the basic formula is very versatile & you can use it as a base recipe to use whatever you have on hand. It's also good with cauliflower or potatoes (or both) in it as well & the addition of potatoes makes it even more filling.

Amounts are flexible & depend on what you have on hand. Our way to make it is to completely 'eyeball' it using the basic formula. 

Boil broccoli, chopped onions, garlic (& potatoes if using) in chicken broth/stock until cooked. Do NOT drain.

Add milk, evaporated milk, half & half or cream- whichever you have on hand. Bring to a boil. You could also probably use either more chicken stock or water & add powdered milk to it if that's what you have.

Mix cornstarch in cold liquid (use less if you have potatoes in it b/c the starch from the potatoes will help thicken it) & stir into the hot soup. Stir & cook until thickened. It could probably also be thicken with a roux we have just never done it that way. The basic idea is to turn the chicken stock/milk mixture into a cream soup/white sauce. You could also probably use leftover mashed potatoes instead of cornstarch or a roux to thicken it as well. Just mix some of the hot soup into the leftover mashed potatoes to thin them down so they mix in easier & add it to the soup.l

Remove from heat & add whatever cheese you want. Sharp cheese takes less due to the stronger flavor but any Cheddar/Colby, etc will work.

Season to taste & serve. Leftovers reheat well.

Hope you like it. Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2008, 03:48:19 AM »
"It could probably also be thicken with a roux we have just never done it that way. The basic idea is to turn the chicken stock/milk mixture into a cream soup/white sauce."

This is the way my broccoli/cheese soup is.  You basically make a white sauce, then add your cooked broccoli, onions, etc., and chicken bouillon instead of broth.  Probably ends up about the same, though.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2008, 05:31:47 PM »
I tried a soup at the local pizzaria the other day and decided to try it and it turned out great.
Creamed Chicken,Spinach,& Bacon
I used two cans cream of chicken soup (because I was out of homemade)
one can spinach
cooked crumbled bacon (lots)
garlic to taste
onion to taste

DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
Yummmmm.  I bet that would be great with some white beans in it too.  Right up my alley!
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »
This soup sounds like a hillbilly dish, and I've gotten a lot of flack for it over on facebook lol, but it really is delicious!!

Cheeseburger Soup

1 lb ground hamburger
1 med. onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBSP flour
4 cups beef broth or stock
1-2 med potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 14 1/2 oz. diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup ketchup
2 TBSP dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup whole milk

Optional:
Toasted buns or rolls
Cheeseburger toppings: pickles, onions, lettuce.

1.  In a large pot, brown beef with onion, garlic, celery over med. heat until browned.  Sprinkle flour over meat and veggies and stir for about 2 min. Stir in broth and potatoes.  Bring mixture to a boil, and simmer, covered, for about 15 min(or until potatoes are done).
2.)  Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper to taste, and cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted.  Stir in milk and heat through.  Serve with toasted buns, bread, or rolls.  Pass around cheeseburger toppings. Serves 6.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
Any flack you got was deserved!  Pickles, indeed!

Just kidding, it actually sounds delicious!  The key is "optional toppings" right HIO?

Offline mdessy

• Adept
  • Wife Mom Sister Friend UU Nutrition Educator
    • Grains&More
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »
I live in TX so that explains why I am asking for this now...

Anyone have any good cold soup recipes?  Of course I have about 12 gazpacho soups and a couple of cucumber ones but am wondering if anyone has any other favorites they would like to share.

Offline BettaGurl3

• I used to be BettaGurl3
  • Master
  • I LOVE HORSES!
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2009, 10:43:53 AM »
Does anybody have  a good Cheese & Broccoli soup recipe? The reason I'm wondering is b/c I looove that soup, and this seems like a good place to ask!! :D
 TIA, Emily

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2009, 11:53:28 AM »
Does anybody have  a good Cheese & Broccoli soup recipe? The reason I'm wondering is b/c I looove that soup, and this seems like a good place to ask!! :D
 TIA, Emily

I like the recipe posted in post #120 but of course I'm biased.  ;)

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »
Here's a Broccoli & Cheese
Boil Broccoli, Onion,& Garlic in broth and once done through add Two cream cheese blocks and mix till incorporated and chedder to finish.
Delish!!
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri