Author Topic: Dinner [Supper] Menus & Recipes  (Read 127812 times)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Dinner [Supper] Menus & Recipes
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »
Sounds like the makings for tasty soup, to me.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #211 on: November 01, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »
I have 1.5hrs till dinnertime and lots of leftover sausages, carrots and celery sticks.  Any ideas what I can make?  I'm too tired to think properly right now ...
stir fry?  i make a stir fry with cabbage, bell peppers and polish sausage.  Serve it with rice.  Pretty popular around here.

My husband also likes garden omlets.  I stir fry whatever veggies I have on hand (carrots, bells, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc) and then pour them over an omelet.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 04:18:25 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2007, 08:50:59 AM »
 Does anyone have a good butternut squash recipe as a main dish? With maybe hamburger added in?

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2007, 10:39:25 AM »
Yes, I second this request!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2007, 11:08:36 AM »
Savory Butternut Squash

1 med onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloved, minced
2 Tb olive oil
4 C cubed peeled butternut squash
2 cans (14.5 oz ea) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cu shredded carrots
1 t each chopped fresh oregano, basil and parslye or 0.25 t each dried oregano, basil and parsley flakes
1 t salt optional
0.25 t pepper
Hot cooked rice

In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.  Add the squash tomatoes, carrots and seasonings; stir well.  Pour into a greased 2 qt baking dish.  Cover and bake at 350degF for 60-70 min or until squash is tender.  Serve over rice.  Yield 8 servings.  Nutritional analysis: one serving (perpared w/ salt; calculated w/o rice) equals 84 calories, 196 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 15 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 2 gm fat.  Diabetic exchange: 1 starch

Taken from the Taste of Home's Quick Cooking Annual Recipes 1999

I serve this as a vegetarian main dish and really like it - but it's not a hit with my kids.  I would think you could add any meat (ground or pieces) if you pre-cook it.  I haven't tried it though.

'Course, I use more garlic and I don't measure the tomatoes... or the carrots, really.  And I don't measure the spices (just dump 'em in)... so what I make is practially similar to this recipe almost.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2007, 11:15:47 AM »
Does anyone have a good butternut squash recipe as a main dish? With maybe hamburger added in?

I've made a few variants of this before.  It's really good.  It calls for acorn squash, but you can use butternut.  You don't need to put it back in the shell either, you can put it in a casserole dish.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Acorn-Squash-II/Detail.aspx

My favorite personal variation:

Cook squash until tender, scoop out flesh and place in a casserole dish, add salt & pepper or seasoning salt as desired.

While the squash is cooking, brown either ground sausage or ground beef (season, if beef).  In another pan, carmalize onions in oil.  Remove the onions; saute fresh mushrooms in oil (season as desired). 

Layer mushrooms and onions on top of squash.  Spread meat on top.  Sprinkle the whole thing with shredded cheese.  Bake at about 325-350 until the cheese is melted.

Ooo...I just thought of another beef & butternut squash recipe (Beef & Butternut Squash Chili) from Southern Living that's really good (I don't know if I've ever followed the recipe exactly, as I tend to experiment, but it's a good place to start!)

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1144129

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2007, 12:33:09 PM »
Thanks, Ladies!  I printed them all out and I'm definitely trying one of them this week!

Yous guys are sooo good . . .

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2007, 07:46:43 AM »
I don't know if you can sub butternut for zucchini, but we often make a meat loaf from burger, shredded zucchini, onions, garlic and seasonings and then use this to stuff long green peppers (Korean or Anaheims are just about the right size).  Then we bread them and fry them and dip them in a mixture of soy sauce and white vinegar and toasted sesame seeds.  I've also stuffed green bells and baked them with the same filling.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2007, 10:30:51 AM »
I don't know if you can sub butternut for zucchini, but we often make a meat loaf from burger, shredded zucchini, onions, garlic and seasonings and then use this to stuff long green peppers (Korean or Anaheims are just about the right size).  Then we bread them and fry them and dip them in a mixture of soy sauce and white vinegar and toasted sesame seeds.  I've also stuffed green bells and baked them with the same filling.
OH YUM!!!  :o
Where's THAT recipe???  ;D
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2007, 01:08:14 PM »
OH YUM!!!  :o
Where's THAT recipe???  ;D
That WAS the recipe.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2007, 07:05:51 AM »
I need a beef enchiladas recipe.  I have a pound of sirloin, whole wheat tortillas, and some cans of mild green enchilada sauce and green chiles. Now what?  Any recipes?  All the ones I can find are or chicken enchiladas, do I do it the same just with the beef instead?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,13696.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #221 on: December 12, 2007, 12:52:50 PM »
   Re: Stocking the Freezer or (OAMC) Once a Month Cooking
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2007, 02:41:35 PM » by WellTellMommy
Not the healthiest meal but one of our favorites is ...
Chicken Cheez-it Cassarole

1    box Cheez-its (I use Annies cheddar bunnies)
2    cans cream of chicken soup (or home made version)
2-3 breast of chicken
1    stick of butter
      shredded cheese

Crumble the cheez-its and place in the bottom of 9x13 pan and place thin slices of butter, place in 350 degree oven mixing often to cover all crackers
as butter melts and watching not to burn,cook until re-crisp.
Meanwhile boiling chicken, cutting to bite sizes and mixing with soup and some of the broth.
Use half crackers as crust on bottom, chicken mixture,other half crackers,
top with cheese.
freeze or cook until all is heated through.

Another one that I do is scalloped potatoes with diced or thin sliced ham
to make it a casserole.
Sherri 
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2007, 02:24:47 PM »

A friend of mine passed this recipe along and I thought you all may enjoy it. Personally, I would need to add lots of garlic and onion to this and a little salt. Like I do to everything!
The recipe is kid friendly, easy, healthy and CHEAP. The words below are hers exactly.
:)

Cheesy Brown Rice

3c brown rice
7c hot water
1c cheese (any type)
4tbsp butter

We use brown rice in our house. You know those “five white no-nos” – well, white rice is one of them. We like the brown rice better anyways. So, put your three cups of rice in a pan, and brown for about 10-15mintues. Stir the rice while it’s browning or you’ll burn it. Hannie did this last week… lol When it’s done brown add the hot water. Let the rice get to a rolling boil and then let boil for about 10-15mintues. Afterwards, turn heat to low, leave lid half on, and let simmer until the water is completely gone. DO NOT stir the rice after you add water. If you do, it won’t cook right and you will end up with crunchy, mushy rice. How does that sounds? Lol So let the rice cook. You can check to see if the water is gone by taking a fork and scooting the rice over a tad on the side to see the bottom. If there is no water turn the heat off and “fluff” the rice with the fork. If you don’t how to fluff the rice… just lift the rice up with the fork. Don’t stir it. Cut the 4 tbsp of butter into slices and place on the top of the rice. Add some salt-n-pepper. When the butter is melted, you can grate the cheese and put it on top of the rice.

YoopreMama

« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »
Thanks, HOMEFree...that looks simple and good!  I'll be adding the same things you would be, too!   :D

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2008, 06:21:54 AM »
I have several recipes that our family enjoys that call for refrigerated biscuits - basic style in a pop open can.  I would like to find a recipe for a similar style biscuit that is hopefully healthier... anyone have something like this on hand that you might share?

Thanks!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »
Try this:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4921.msg143129.html#msg143129

Or this for quicker, on hand use:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1195.0.html

After you make the dough, you might have to (depending on the recipe) knead a bit more flour in to make the more firm dough that comes from refrigerated biscuits. An important thing too is the fat. If you use butter or lard (HB's favorite  ;D) that'll also give you a more firm dough and resulting softer bread like like what you buy in the store.

Hope that helps!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »
We tried this recipe out in a carry-in dinner yesterday, and boy did it go! I thought it wouldn't because not many there like rice. Evidently this hit their taste buds right  :D.

Confetti Casserole:

(For a 9x13 pan meal)

1/2 c. fat of choice (Butter or chicken fat are good. I used both)
2/3 c. whole flour (WW or Whole Spelt--used Spelt)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less, depending on if you used salt in cooking up the chicken and rice, which I did)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne or black pepper
5 c. chicken broth (makes less lumps in sauce if you use cold or room temperature liquid)
3c. cooked rice
2c. finely shredded cheese of choice (used part mozz. and part cheddar)
3c. dark meat chicken pieces
Around 3c. frozen vegtables of choice (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)

In a large bowl, stir together rice, chicken pieces, veggies, and 1 cup of the cheese. Temporarily set aside while making sauce:

Melt fat over low heat. take off heat and stir in flour, salt and pepper with fork until flour is combined with the fat. Slowly pour in chicken broth and stir well. Over medium heat, constantly stir until mixture thickens and boils.

Pour sauce over rice mixture and stir to combine. Pour into an ungreased 9x13 pan. Put uncovered pan into oven and turn to 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and vegtables are no longer crunchy. Take out of oven and sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Briefly return casserole to oven to melt cheese, take out and let sit a bit for the fat to absorb into the grain. Serves around 6 hungry people who like seconds  :D

Notes:

1.If you don't use vinegar or lemon in the cooking of your rice or meat, you might like to put some in the sauce when cooking that up. I think it makes it taste better :)
2. This probably would taste wonderful too with a bit of Mexican spices like cumin, garlic, chili powder, oregano, etc. Depends on your tastes and ingredients you have on hand though...Italian or Oriental are other good ideas. I've found 2 t. spices per 6c. white sauce is a good quantity to go by.
3. I loved how versatile this recipe is. Any kind of meat or vegtable could be used, as well as whatever grain you want. The thing I paid most attention to was the exact measurements for the sauce and quantity of grain. That is the most exacting thing in these kinds of recipes, I believe. In a more "physical" day I think I would put in more meat.

Kids would love helping with this recipe...The younger ones would get a kick stirring the rice mixture together with their bare hands ;) If you're afraid of the contents spilling over, try putting a clean tablecloth or tarp under the bowl.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2008, 08:32:35 AM »
I need to make a meal for saturday for our weekly potluck...i have ground turkey and macaroni and i KNOW there is a yummy crockpot recipe that's Turkey macish but i am not coming up with a good one. i need a kids friendly one but it can include veggies.  i think it's the sauce i am having trouble coming up. i know how to make sauces but when i have tried doing it in a crockpot it becomes a big gluey mess! any ideas?
thanks in advance!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2008, 08:33:41 AM »
I need to make a meal for saturday for our weekly potluck...i have ground turkey and macaroni and i KNOW there is a yummy crockpot recipe that's Turkey macish but i am not coming up with a good one. i need a kids friendly one but it can include veggies.  i think it's the sauce i am having trouble coming up. i know how to make sauces but when i have tried doing it in a crockpot it becomes a big gluey mess! any ideas?
thanks in advance!!
I would make the mac outside the crock pot and just use the crock to keep it warm.  Would that work?  Pasta gets gooey if you don't cook it just so.
  My favorite herb book!!

burlsgirl

« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »
I've only made this in the oven, but I'm sure it can be adapted:

Italian Shepherd's Pie

Brown Ground Turkey, then add:
finely chopped zucchini, carrots, red bell pepper, onions & garlic (I chop it so kids can't "find" it).

Cook till veggies are tender, then add chicken broth, w/ a few TBS tomato paste. Also add in Italian Seasoning to taste.

While all this is cooking, make homemade mac & cheese using Italian cheeses such as provolone, romano, parmesan and asiago (best).  Spread mac & cheese on top of meat mixture in baking dish & bake till cheese is browning & bubbly.

This is SO GOOD! My kids AND hubby loved it, and that's saying lots!

Sorry for the vagueness of the recipe.  :-\

HTH,
Emily

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2008, 08:40:11 AM »
HB
oooh good idea thanks...now how bout a sauce that doesn't glop onto the plate?

that sounds yummy burlsgirl i just have to get better at transfering things to slowcooker and not ruining it!

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »
We had a wonderful dinner last night I thought I would share.  We are studing Africa for school so we had African Beef Curry from a Taste of Home mag.  I really enjoyed it even with the cocunut and raisins on top  :o  ;D

African Beef Curry
1 lb beef stew meat cut into cubes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 sm onion, chopped
1 sm sweet red pepper, chopped
1 sm green pepper, chopped
1-2 TBSP Curry powder
1/2 tsp salt

Hot rice
Raisins, Chopped salted peanuts and flake coconut Optional

In large sauce pan combine first seven ingredients. bring to boil and cover and simmer 1 1/2 hrs - 2 hrs. until meat is tender.  Serve over rice and with raisins ect. as toppings. 

~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2008, 09:24:37 AM »
Anyone make calzones and have a favorite recipe?
My plan is just my regular pizza crust recipe, then stuff with beef sausage, veggies, cheese. 
Do you do sauce IN it or on the side?

Offline ah_young

• Learning
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »
My plan is just my regular pizza crust recipe, then stuff with beef sausage, veggies, cheese. 

I don't have an actual "recipe" but here is what we do.
I divide 1 regular pizza crust into two balls, and roll out two thin crusts. Then I take the regular amount of sauce, cheese, toppings that I would use for a regular pizza, and divide it between the crusts. I put everything on the inside, and make sure we have extra sauce for dipping. Fold those babies in half, pinch the edges shut, and egg wash all over them. I think they bake for about 20 minutes, or until the bottoms are cooked, and they are golden brown all over. It's basically just pizza folded in half, but we love it! 
Hope that helps, and good luck with your calzones!
  -ali

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2008, 10:07:15 AM »

I don't have an actual "recipe" but here is what we do.
I divide 1 regular pizza crust into two balls, and roll out two thin crusts. Then I take the regular amount of sauce, cheese, toppings that I would use for a regular pizza, and divide it between the crusts. I put everything on the inside, and make sure we have extra sauce for dipping. Fold those babies in half, pinch the edges shut, and egg wash all over them. I think they bake for about 20 minutes, or until the bottoms are cooked, and they are golden brown all over. It's basically just pizza folded in half, but we love it! 
Hope that helps, and good luck with your calzones!
  -ali

I just use regular bread dough.  It works really well, also.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
So you do two big ones, rather than individual, personal sized ones?  For some reason I picutred everyone having their own, like a hand pie.

With 8 of us, it could get LONG making them!

Offline KADETMmom

• Adept
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
We found a recipe for calzones a few weeks ago (online) that was wonderful!  Altho' DH remembers them having a puddle of butter? or something juicy (Navy cruise w/stops in Italy).  Authentic calzones do not have sauce inside, I read.  I can find the recipe if you want it...
"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God..."  Psalm 40

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2008, 12:27:50 PM »
i think I'm good.  Got my toppings and sauce and now dough is rising.

Nummy

burlsgirl

« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2008, 12:46:09 PM »
Man, I wish we were having calzones!!! I'm making dh's favorite for valentines day:  Fried deer tenderloin, homemade biscuits, mashed potatoes & gravy.  :P Not a chili or a tomato in sight! Ah well, reading this thread has just put calzones on next weeks menu!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2008, 12:50:04 PM »
Man, I wish we were having calzones!!! I'm making dh's favorite for valentines day:  Fried deer tenderloin, homemade biscuits, mashed potatoes & gravy.  :P Not a chili or a tomato in sight! Ah well, reading this thread has just put calzones on next weeks menu!

Can we all come to your house for supper?  Deer tenderloins are a favorite here...they were gone from the freezer long ago.  (Actually, most didn't even make it into the freezer, we had to make them right away!)

Don't know what we're having for supper.  (But for some reason I have a strong craving for calzones! ;) :D)    It has to be something quick...it's a church night.  By the time DH gets home from work and cleaned up, it's time to head out the door.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3