Author Topic: Dinner [Supper] Menus & Recipes  (Read 124333 times)

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
Re: Dinner [Supper] Menus & Recipes
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »
I prepare it ,then cook it the next day.  I hope it works out for you!  :D

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2007, 08:04:36 PM »

I loved it!  DH is working so it was just the kids and I.  They did pretty well considering it is a new recipe for us.
I cooked it in a large cast iron skillet and we had a lot left over.  SO... I cut it up, put it in a casserole dish and I am going to reheat it for a potluck tomorrow  ;) Is that breaking a major potluck rule? This is what makes potlucks interesting right?!!!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2007, 03:23:31 AM »

I loved it!  DH is working so it was just the kids and I.  They did pretty well considering it is a new recipe for us.
I cooked it in a large cast iron skillet and we had a lot left over.  SO... I cut it up, put it in a casserole dish and I am going to reheat it for a potluck tomorrow  ;) Is that breaking a major potluck rule? This is what makes potlucks interesting right?!!!

The only rule I am aware of is Bring Plenty!  ;)  And in truth, most casseroles taste better the second time around.
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2007, 05:55:55 AM »
I have found that this recipe starts with a few basic things but can be served a few different ways. I use mild salsa but if your family likes more heat, feel free to use medium or hot. It's not exactly a healthy recipe (unless you use all homemade stuff) but it is easy and versatile.

Sweet N Spicy Chicken (Served Three Ways)

4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup apricot preserves
1 cup chunky-style salsa
1 envelope taco seasoning

Place chicken in crockpot. In a small bowl mix together preserves, salsa, and taco seasoning. Pour mixture over chicken and cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken is cooked through.

#1. Serve the chicken breasts whole. Spoon the leftover sauce over cooked rice for a side dish.

#2. Use two forks to pull the chicken apart right in the crockpot. Add one can of drained and rinsed black beans and 3oz cream cheese cut into cubes. Cook 'til cream cheese is melted, stir, and serve with warm tortillas or over cooked rice.

#3. Add one can of whole-kernel corn to crockpot at end of cooking time along with two cups of cooked brown rice. Stir, cover, and cook 'til warmed though.

I'm sure y'all could think of even more ways to change this up.

WR
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 06:07:22 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »
I was in a rush to get supper on the table tonight and knew I needed something on the table within about 20 minutes or less. I went to the fridge and spotted the leftover spaghetti meat sauce and some leftover spaghetti noodles. Then I spied the leftover grated cheese that we ate with black beans and tortillas at lunch.

Hmmm. . . . I remembered a dish we used to eat when we used to eat out at the Italian restaurant (looooong time ago when we had $)  ;)

I pulled out one of my casserole dishes and layered the sauce, noodles and cheese -- twice. Placed the dish into the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes and then the last few minutes under the broiler to brown the cheese.
BAKED SPAGHETTI  :o

You would have thought they'd never eaten such a thing before. Everyone ate seconds and when they finished running their errands, they hit the fridge and polished off the remainder . . . So, that's out for lunch tomorrow  ::)

I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2007, 01:35:57 PM »
Crust:
1c. butter
1c. boiling water
3c. flour ( I use all purp. white)
1tsp. salt
Boil water. Add butter to boiling water. Remove from heat and gradually add flour and salt until a soft dough is formed. Cover and chill for an hour and a half.I have also had success not chilling it.

Filling:
8 lg. potatoes,sliced
1 med onion
1 1/2 lbs hamburger or roast beef
 1/2 Tb. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic ( I just put in a clove)
1/8c. butter
Cook potatoes. Do not overcook! Drain water. Mix gently with parsley and butter. Cook hamburger with onion and garlic. Roll out dough saving some for the top crust. Place in lightly greased pan. ( I love to use cast iron)  Alternate layers meat and potatoes in crust.. Put a pat of butter on top. Roll out top crust and attach. Cut slits in the top. Cook for an hour at 350 or until golden brown.

You can make this the day before and it turns out just fine. I haven't had trouble with it being dry, but I am not over picky when draining the potatoes.
Okay... I made my pasty yesterday and while it tastes good and the kids/dh liked it the crust didn't work right. 
I am not the best cook though I am pretty experienced.  My problem is that I use only fresh ground whole wheat.  I didn't use the all-purpose as the recipe called for.  I used a mixture of spelt and hard white. 
I guess what I am asking for is pie crust advise with whole wheat.  I have never been able to get it to turn out right since we went whole grain.  When I used white flour it turned out okay. 
The crust from this recipe was sticky even after being in the frig.  I tried to put it in the freezer to give it a bit more 'structure', but it still wouldn't roll out without sticking.  I ended up patting it out in my hands and cutting out fun shapes with a cookie cutter and layering it over the top.
I would appreciate any input as to how I could make a better pie crust.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2007, 02:56:36 AM »
I was in a rush to get supper on the table tonight and knew I needed something on the table within about 20 minutes or less. I went to the fridge and spotted the leftover spaghetti meat sauce and some leftover spaghetti noodles. Then I spied the leftover grated cheese that we ate with black beans and tortillas at lunch.

Hmmm. . . . I remembered a dish we used to eat when we used to eat out at the Italian restaurant (looooong time ago when we had $)  ;)

I pulled out one of my casserole dishes and layered the sauce, noodles and cheese -- twice. Placed the dish into the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes and then the last few minutes under the broiler to brown the cheese.
BAKED SPAGHETTI  :o

You would have thought they'd never eaten such a thing before. Everyone ate seconds and when they finished running their errands, they hit the fridge and polished off the remainder . . . So, that's out for lunch tomorrow  ::)

I loved bakes spaghetti! I like to mix the noodles with butter an egg and parmesan cheese. Spread the noodle mix like a crust in a baking pan. Spread some cottage cheese in the middle like a filling. Top with spaghetti sauce and cheese. My DH loves this.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2007, 02:43:36 PM »

I am not the best cook though I am pretty experienced.  My problem is that I use only fresh ground whole wheat.  I didn't use the all-purpose as the recipe called for.  I used a mixture of spelt and hard white. 
I guess what I am asking for is pie crust advise with whole wheat.  I have never been able to get it to turn out right since we went whole grain.  When I used white flour it turned out okay. 
The crust from this recipe was sticky even after being in the frig.  I tried to put it in the freezer to give it a bit more 'structure', but it still wouldn't roll out without sticking.  I ended up patting it out in my hands and cutting out fun shapes with a cookie cutter and layering it over the top.
I would appreciate any input as to how I could make a better pie crust.
[/quote]

I have never made the crust with whole wheat before. I haven't had much success with whole wheat pastry. Maybe pastry flour would work. The crust dough is very soft before being cooked, but I haven't had a problem with it being sticky. Sorry I can't help. ???

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2007, 05:02:31 PM »
A few days ago I had one of those nights where you have to make up a meal from a few random items.  This is what I did and it turned out great.

1. Wash and peel some potatoes. Slice them thick and boil in salted water.

2. Meanwhile take a pound of bulk pork sausage (I used bulk beef sausage that we got from our beef processor) and brown it like ground beef. Add more oil/butter/lard if needed and mix in some flour and let it just start to turn a little brown. Ladle some water from the boiling potatoes into the pan of sausage to make a thin sauce (I sneaked in some kefir and this point). Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Add some frozen english peas to the pot of boiling potatoes. When the peas and potatoes are done you layer everything in a baking dish with cheese in between. I started with a layer of the sausage mixture, then mozzarella (it was the only cheese I had), then potatoes, then sausage... etc... and ended with the potatoes.

4. Bake uncovered @ 350ยบ till hot and bubbly.

NOTE: I did not drain the potatoes and peas but just ladled them out because I wanted some of the extra liquid that came with them to insure that every thing would melt together and not get dried out on top. There was a lot of liquid in the dish when it went into the oven but it made a wonderfully moist and saucy casserole when it came out.

My ds who doesn't like melted cheese didn't even notice it had cheese in it because the cheese was the same color as, and thanks to all the liquid, throughly combine with the sauce.

Everybody liked it and it was so easy. I will be making it again.

WR
Okay, I'm finally getting around to this thread...  ::)
(not that I haven't needed it all along.)

THIS was YUMMY!!  :P
I added a two layers of zucchini in there as well, and we used cheddar.  With eight sets of tastebuds to please, this was a hit for ALL of them!  :o ;D ;D  Everybody said I should keep this recipe.
THANKS!
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2007, 12:38:38 PM »
THIS was YUMMY!!  :P
I added a two layers of zucchini in there as well, and we used cheddar.  With eight sets of tastebuds to please, this was a hit for ALL of them!  :o ;D ;D  Everybody said I should keep this recipe.
THANKS!

Thanks! I'm glad y'all liked it. I had forgotten about this and had not made it again, so thanks for bringing it up.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
does someone have a healthy jello salad recipe. I don't even know if there is such a thing. I need to make a jello salad for a potluck on Sunday and wondered if someone had a recipe that was tasy, and simple yet healthy. I was thinking a about using unflavored gelatin, and orange juice concentrate and pineapples. Thanks! P.S. I do like creamy jello's too if you have any ideas.

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2007, 02:39:57 PM »
does someone have a healthy jello salad recipe. I don't even know if there is such a thing. I need to make a jello salad for a potluck on Sunday and wondered if someone had a recipe that was tasy, and simple yet healthy. I was thinking a about using unflavored gelatin, and orange juice concentrate and pineapples. Thanks! P.S. I do like creamy jello's too if you have any ideas.

I can't help much, but I'm seconding the request!  I like the ones with cottage cheese, too.

YoopreMama

« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2007, 03:11:17 PM »
does someone have a healthy jello salad recipe. I don't even know if there is such a thing. I need to make a jello salad for a potluck on Sunday and wondered if someone had a recipe that was tasty, and simple yet healthy. I was thinking a about using unflavored gelatin, and orange juice concentrate and pineapples. Thanks! P.S. I do like creamy jello's too if you have any ideas.
I can't help much, but I'm seconding the request!  I like the ones with cottage cheese, too.
I think you might be able to modify our funeral salad recipe...

It's a large container of cottage cheese, 1 big can of crushed pineapple, 1 container of Cool Whip, and a box of lemon or lime (or whatever flavor) Jell-O.  We stir it up and let it chill.  Plain gelatin and some juice may work...HTH!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 02:00:43 AM by Yooper »

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2007, 04:57:22 PM »
I did the unflavored gelatin one time and I don't know what I did wrong but it didn't set so I'm afraid to experiment too much this tiem.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2007, 04:00:24 AM »
I use plain gelatin all the time with juice instad of water so it doesn't have the dyes.  It always works for me, so I'm not surewhat it could've been either;maybe a bogus packet of gelatin?

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #195 on: October 26, 2007, 07:13:14 AM »
can you share your recipe?

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2007, 11:15:09 AM »
does someone have a healthy jello salad recipe. I don't even know if there is such a thing. I need to make a jello salad for a potluck on Sunday and wondered if someone had a recipe that was tasty, and simple yet healthy. I was thinking a about using unflavored gelatin, and orange juice concentrate and pineapples. Thanks! P.S. I do like creamy jello's too if you have any ideas.

It's a large container of cottage cheese, 1 big can of crushed pineapple, 1 container of Cool Whip, and a box of lemon or lime (or whatever flavor) Jell-O.  We stir it up and let it chill.  Plain gelatin and some juice may work...HTH!

Yum!  You don't add water, though?  And do you know what size box of Jell-O!  I've never worked with plain gelatin before.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2007, 04:08:16 PM »
can you share your recipe?

Sure, it is really easy...

Ingredients:
Knox unflavored gelatin
fruit juice
diced fruit (optional)

Directions:
prepare gelatin according to directions on package, except use fruit juice and add fresh fruit (optional)...pour gelatin into a bowl, or mold, or bundt pan and chill until firm.  Serve and enjoy!

(from Sheri-Rose Shephard's Eating for Excellence)

I have also tried this with half juice and half gingerale and it is yummy too! 

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2007, 04:10:28 PM »

Yum!  You don't add water, though?  And do you know what size box of Jell-O!  I've never worked with plain gelatin before.

Oooh I like it that way with the cottage cheese too! It's so easy because you don't prepare the gelatin!  Just stir together and enjoy!  Dh doesn't like the cottage cheese chunks but mmmm I do, hey I just thought of another way to get protein!  Hahaha! Yes!

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2007, 02:34:24 PM »

Oooh I like it that way with the cottage cheese too! It's so easy because you don't prepare the gelatin!  Just stir together and enjoy!  Dh doesn't like the cottage cheese chunks but mmmm I do, hey I just thought of another way to get protein!  Hahaha! Yes!
This sounds yummy except the Cool-Whip.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVED cool-whip as a kid - especially when it came with equal amounts of pumpkin pie. :o ;)  But, I've eliminated cool-whip from our home and normally replace it with whipped cream.  Do you think I could substitute whipped cream in this recipe?
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »
Somewhere on this board, is posted a recipe for homemade cool-whip. It's just a way to stabilize sweetened whipped cream so that it can be used in recipes that call for cool whip.

WR

Found it:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5368.msg56226.html#msg56226

WR
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 03:08:55 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

YoopreMama

« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2007, 03:15:09 PM »
This sounds yummy except the Cool-Whip.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVED cool-whip as a kid - especially when it came with equal amounts of pumpkin pie. :o ;)  But, I've eliminated cool-whip from our home and normally replace it with whipped cream.  Do you think I could substitute whipped cream in this recipe?
OK.  I think I'm answering questions aimed at the funeral salad recipe.  Forgive me if the questions were to someone else.  :)

There is no water added...the juice from the pineapple and the liquid from the cottage cheese seem to be enough to "activate" the Jello.  After a few days (if it lasts that long), it gets a little watery.  The 1st 24 hours, it is at its firmest.

As to using whipped cream?   Hmmm....do you mean the kind you make from scratch or the kind in a squirt can?  I would think they'd work OK.  I'll have to try it the next time.  I know it seems like a very flexible recipe.  HTH.  

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »
Just thought I'd pop in here with some new Lasagna tips that I found to be neat ideas:
1. When using rice lasagna noodles, I have found them to be hard to managed when cooked. I found a recipe using regular noodles where you don't cook them before you layer. The only difference was that you baked it @ 375 degrees for 45 minutes. I think if you used rice noodles you probably wouldn't have to cook it that long, but having never tried it yet so I can't say,but I think it would be worth a try :).
2. If you don't have or want to use lasagna noodles, why not use thinly sliced or shredded cooked potatoes instead? That opens up a whole realm of imagenation and creativity doesn't it? Cooked rice, lentils, pinto or kidney beans, yucca (the kind you buy at the store), and on it goes! :D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:20:21 AM by naturalgirl »

YoopreMama

« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2007, 11:57:47 PM »
Great ideas, naturalgirl!  Being GF, I appreciate them. :)  Our rice noodle lasagna was a little tricky.  I forgot that I used to not cook any noodles for lasagna--just put a little sauce on the bottom.  Hour at 350.

Very novel on the noodle substitutes!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2007, 05:38:23 AM »
I tried a meal idea last night that was a big hit with all the kids and dh too! I made sloppy joe meat and served them in big baker potatoes - with sour cream and butter and mozzerella cheese and steamed broccoli!  The kids never eat baked potatoes or sloppy joe sandwiches, but they loved them together like that.  Dh was lovin them too - probably not the healthiest but we were full and thankful!   ;D

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2007, 02:23:13 PM »
I tried a meal idea last night that was a big hit with all the kids and dh too! I made sloppy joe meat and served them in big baker potatoes - with sour cream and butter and mozzerella cheese and steamed broccoli!  The kids never eat baked potatoes or sloppy joe sandwiches, but they loved them together like that.  Dh was lovin them too - probably not the healthiest but we were full and thankful!   ;D

I think this sounds yummy and healthy! We do that type of thing with taco meat.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2007, 11:51:49 AM »

i think this sounds good and would like to try it, but one question--did you put the broccoli in it?  or as a side dish?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »

i think this sounds good and would like to try it, but one question--did you put the broccoli in it?  or as a side dish?

We layer everything on our potatoes, and yes, the broccoli is included. :)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2007, 03:56:22 PM »

As a side but served right in the bowl hoping they would accidentally eat some!   ;)

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2007, 05:17:07 PM »
I have 1.5hrs till dinnertime and lots of leftover sausages, carrots and celery sticks.  Any ideas what I can make?  I'm too tired to think properly right now ...
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).